Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major League Baseball 2008 season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major League Baseball 2008 season
    Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 00:26
Well the Red Sox are in and probably in for a rough ride trying to repeat. I think they have as much chance as anyone but could also bow out in the first round. Might depend on if Playoff Josh Beckett shows up instead of the this years regular season one. Both leagues should be pretty interesting for the playoffs as there isn't really a dominant team in my opinion. We'll just have to see who gets hot. 
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 13:04
I'm praying to god the twins win today and get in.  If we don't then I'm rooting for the devil rays all the way. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 20:25
Well, it is the Tampa Bay Rays vs. the Philadelphia Phillies in the 2008 World Series.

Although I wanted to see the Rays vs. Dodgers, this should still be a great matchup.  Both teams have power and speed.  The Rays have already shown that they can hold their own in an all out slugfest with the Red Sox.   I think the Rays also have the drive and raw talent to beat the Phillies.

What do you think?

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 21:04

Rays look good. Hopefully the National league can put up a fight this year. Last years was a bit of wash, even with my team winning.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 21:43
Rays win, Rays win. That's what I think (and hope). Although I am a Yankee fan (boo, hiss, boo, hiss–I know) I really like the Rays.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 21:45
Credit goes to the Rays. They have proven that young blood and efficient pitching can carry the day. Credit to the Sox too for hanging in there and making it a series.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 21:49
I grew up in a phillies family.  My dad bought our first TV [the 3rd in town] so mom could watch the 50 series.  Doc Cranmer was one of my gfathers "buddies".  I've been following them since forever.  So knowing all of that I know you'll understand I'm afraid to think further than now.
I still have 6 tix from 1964 WS.  All they had to do was win 1 game out of ten and they were in.  Yeah, They dropped 10 straight.  That started the rumors they were moving to the Phillipines, where they would be called "The Manilla Folders"LOL

So we'll see, I'm not going to say any more than that.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 22:14
Originally posted by red clay

I grew up in a phillies family.  My dad bought our first TV [the 3rd in town] so mom could watch the 50 series.  Doc Cranmer was one of my gfathers "buddies".  I've been following them since forever.  So knowing all of that I know you'll understand I'm afraid to think further than now.
I still have 6 tix from 1964 WS.  All they had to do was win 1 game out of ten and they were in.  Yeah, They dropped 10 straight.  That started the rumors they were moving to the Phillipines, where they would be called "The Manilla Folders"LOL

So we'll see, I'm not going to say any more than that.

"Manila Folders," hahahahaha, that is great!  I am sorry, but I am a Blue Jays fan and still remember cheering and waking my parents up when Joe Carter hit that game winning homerun against the Phillies in 1993.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 02:37
I just enjoy baseball.  When it's well played, and face it win or lose to get to the WS you have to be playing on another level,  it's one of the best sports experiences you can see. 

Mitch "wild thing" Williams gave up that HR.  Not one of my fav. sports moments.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2008 at 21:16

I just enjoy baseball.  When it's well played, and face it win or lose to get to the WS you have to be playing on another level,  it's one of the best sports experiences you can see. 

Mitch "wild thing" Williams gave up that HR.  Not one of my fav. sports moments.

Red:

PHIGHTIN' PHILS!!!!!!!

Joe Carter can blow all of us!  LOL

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2008 at 22:41
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Red:

PHIGHTIN' PHILS!!!!!!!

Joe Carter can blow all of us!  LOL

Pike, I think it's just now starting to sink in.  Seeing 3 million people in Center City this afternoon was the clincher.

Unknown.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2008 at 00:11
It seems the Hot Stove League is starting to heat up. Oakland appears to have landed Matt Holliday via trade. I know one person who could be pretty jazzed about that, Byzantine. Although, espn is reporting that Oakland appears to have given up Huston Street, their closer and former Rookie of the Year.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2008 at 14:24
Originally posted by King John

It seems the Hot Stove League is starting to heat up. Oakland appears to have landed Matt Holliday via trade. I know one person who could be pretty jazzed about that, Byzantine. Although, espn is reporting that Oakland appears to have given up Huston Street, their closer and former Rookie of the Year.

Indeed, I am happy to see this!  I saw it in the news this morning.  The A's really need a bat with power after losing Nick Swisher and Frank Thomas.  I still can't help but think what a Holliday-Swisher 3 and 4 batting order might have been like!

Where do you think some of the other big names might end up?  There was some talk about the Yankees going after Sabathia, Texeira, and possibly Manny.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2008 at 15:27
Sabathia I think will end up with the Yankees (a hope and a dream of mine). Texeira, well I'm not sure about him. Manny I think is going to the Mets.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2008 at 20:51
This just in from mlbtraderumors.com:

According to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, the Yankees acquired Nick Swisher from the White Sox for minor league pitcher Jeff Marquez.  It's not yet known if other players are involved.

Wow!  I never saw this one coming.  But I guess the Yankees are in the market for an every-day first baseman who can pull his weight defensively.  I was hoping that if the White Sox traded Swisher he would go back to the A's or to the Reds, who were looking for a right fielder to take the place of Griffey.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123