Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major League Baseball 2008 season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major League Baseball 2008 season
    Posted: 17-Apr-2008 at 03:02
Originally posted by nova roma

I'm not a hardcore baseball nut or anything, but I'm a Seattle Mariners fan and plan on attending at least a few games this summer (sort of a family tradition).

We haven't had a good season since I think 1995, but who knows right?

Well, they are one game away from cracking .500, so we'll have to see! Wink

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2008 at 05:22

I'm not a hardcore baseball nut or anything, but I'm a Seattle Mariners fan and plan on attending at least a few games this summer (sort of a family tradition).We haven't had a good season since I think 1995, but who knows right?

They were really good in 2001 as well.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2008 at 05:20
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I'm not a hardcore baseball nut or anything, but I'm a Seattle Mariners fan and plan on attending at least a few games this summer (sort of a family tradition).

We haven't had a good season since I think 1995, but who knows right?

Well, they are one game away from cracking .500, so we'll have to see! Wink

They are doing well considering that Putz is out with an injury that will probably be extended time on the DL. Though not the dreaded arm or shoulder injury, rib cage area tends to lead to a nagging injury that could see him on and off the DL this year. Beddard is already out which kind of stinks as well as the 1-2 punch of him and Felix Hernandez had possibilities to contend as best in the league.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 20:14
So, King John, what do you think about this:

Hideo Nomo and Chan Ho Park comeback Wink

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 20:20
I'm not impressed by their comeback.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 20:31
Originally posted by King John

HAHAHAHAHA! LOL

On a more seriouos note, what are some of your observations/predictions so far for the 2008 season?

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 21:00
I'm interested to see how well Joba transitions to a starter. I don't foresee any real problems with him making the transition but who knows. I also didn't see a big issue with Hughes and Kennedy but they combined have an 0-7 record with an ERA of 7.00+. I think this is an aberration and Hughes and Kennedy will be fine. Hughes is ready he is just in a bad spot right now. Kennedy on the other hand might not be ready just yet. I think the best course for the Yankees is to play for next year. With this pitching staff I don't see them contending for a playoff spot. However, their likely rotation next year (Wang, Joba, Hughes, Kennedy (?), and Rasnor (?)) looks to be better. They have some young live arms in the minors that look to be ready or close to ready so I think we will see a much improved pitching staff for the Yankees.

So far this year the team I have been most impressed with this year is the Tampa Bay Rays. They have a nice young line up and some really good young starting pitchers. They could be really good in the years to come. I think that the Red Sox will runaway with the division this year and I'm going out on a limb here and going to say that the Rays are going to finish second. *(As of 4pm today (5/28) Tampa Bay has the best record in MLB with a record of 32-21).*

*( )*=Edit

Edited by King John - 28-May-2008 at 21:04
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 05:13

I'm interested to see how well Joba transitions to a starter. I don't foresee any real problems with him making the transition but who knows. I also didn't see a big issue with Hughes and Kennedy but they combined have an 0-7 record with an ERA of 7.00+. I think this is an aberration and Hughes and Kennedy will be fine. Hughes is ready he is just in a bad spot right now. Kennedy on the other hand might not be ready just yet. I think the best course for the Yankees is to play for next year. With this pitching staff I don't see them contending for a playoff spot. However, their likely rotation next year (Wang, Joba, Hughes, Kennedy (?), and Rasnor (?)) looks to be better. They have some young live arms in the minors that look to be ready or close to ready so I think we will see a much improved pitching staff for the Yankees.

Yes, it looks to me like the transition from Torre to Girardi was a bit rough.  Don't you think Joba and Wang are looking unreliable this season because they are prone to injury?  They have already spent some bench time because this.  The question with the young arms is will Steinbrenner call them up and keep them in the rotation?  He might want to do this if the Yankees are even going to try for a playoff berth!

What is your assessment of what A-Rod has meant to the team this year?  Did his stint on the DL hurt the team irreparably in terms of morale and production?  I guess, according to Yankees fans, it does not matter if A-Rod hits 60 home runs and drives in 200 RBI's during the regular season, what counts is in the postseason.  On the contrary, however, it seems that he does matter to the team during the regular season and plays an active part in getting them to the playoffs in the first place!

So far this year the team I have been most impressed with this year is the Tampa Bay Rays. They have a nice young line up and some really good young starting pitchers. They could be really good in the years to come. I think that the Red Sox will runaway with the division this year and I'm going out on a limb here and going to say that the Rays are going to finish second. *(As of 4pm today (5/28) Tampa Bay has the best record in MLB with a record of 32-21)

I know!  Although I will not claim propetic status, I did point out their surprising success in Spring Training.  Also, the A's are still hanging in there in a close battle with the Angels for 1st place in the AL West. Smile

Has anyone noticed how Frank Thomas has been on fire since returning to Oakland?  Interesting.  Nick Swisher is doing awful in Chicago, perhaps he might be sent back to Oakland and the same thing will happen?

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 17:22

Yes, it looks to me like the transition from Torre to Girardi was a bit rough.  Don't you think Joba and Wang are looking unreliable this season because they are prone to injury?  They have already spent some bench time because this.  The question with the young arms is will Steinbrenner call them up and keep them in the rotation?  He might want to do this if the Yankees are even going to try for a playoff berth!

Last year on this date the Torre Yankees were something like 21-29. So far this years has been an improvement for the Girardi Yankees. As far as I know Wang has yet to miss a start this year. He also leads the team in quality starts, starter ERA, innings pitched, WHIP for a starter, he's second in wins. Joba also has yet to miss a game due to injury as far as I know. He has been their best reliever other than Rivera this year. He has 12 Holds (leads the team by 8), 30 K's in 23 innings, ERA 2.28, WHIP 1.14. If you were talking about Hughes and Kennedy, both of whom are hurt, I would agree they have been unreliable this year. But I don't think that is indicative of what they can do, especially Hughes who left a no-hitter in 7th inning last May due to injury (hamstring). Kennedy, I'm not sure he's ready just yet for the MLB. I don't think the guys they would be bringing up this year will be starters. I think they are all relievers who are going to be called up this year, barring injury.
What is your assessment of what A-Rod has meant to the team this year?  Did his stint on the DL hurt the team irreparably in terms of morale and production?  I guess, according to Yankees fans, it does not matter if A-Rod hits 60 home runs and drives in 200 RBI's during the regular season, what counts is in the postseason.  On the contrary, however, it seems that he does matter to the team during the regular season and plays an active part in getting them to the playoffs in the first place!

I think A-Rod has meant more than any Yankee fan wants to admit. I would agree with everything that you have said about A-Rod, although I am not a big fan of his.
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 20:52

HAHAHAHAHA! LOL

On a more seriouos note, what are some of your observations/predictions so far for the 2008 season?

Chan Ho Park blew the gmae for Dodgers last night.Dead  He's got some mental issues.  Descent Taekwondo kicks though.LOL 

Tigers've been depressing so I'm not that excited about baseball yet.  Hopely by the time Euro Cup and NBA is over Tigers are back on Rally Cats mode.  Zumaya and Rodney are getting ready to come back.  If one of them can make a full recovery, that would be a big help.  But how do you explain the struggling bats? 
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 21:00
How do you explain Guillen being spread around to make room for Cabrera? Inge is a very good player thats been dissed. Giving up 3 hits to start a game is no way to move up in the standings. I think the cohesiveness gained in the previous years is lost. That is the Manager's job to tweak but don't break. The Tigers are lost right now. Sure when the hitting is good they are great. Then again, looking at the recent opposition, the Seattle Mariners would make a high school team look pretty sturdy too.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 21:09
Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

Chan Ho Park blew the gmae for Dodgers last night.Dead  He's got some mental issues.  Descent Taekwondo kicks though.

I am surprised he made it back this far!  His fantasy rating was actually rising once it was announced he won a spot as a reliever.  We'll have to see what happens now though.  I remember seeing the footage of the Taekwando kicks; not as classic as Nolan Ryan beating the crap out of Robin Ventura, but still entertaining! LOL

Tigers've been depressing so I'm not that excited about baseball yet.  Hopely by the time Euro Cup and NBA is over Tigers are back on Rally Cats mode.  Zumaya and Rodney are getting ready to come back.  If one of them can make a full recovery, that would be a big help.  But how do you explain the struggling bats?

All I can think is that there were so many changes in lineup and fielding positions than it through the whole machine off kilter.  It should gel soon, I hope.  I don't know if they can salvage the season.  The starting pitching has been majorly inconsistent and straining the bullpen.  Too bad they could not have gotten rid of Sheffield and picked up Frank Thomas after he left the Blue Jays.  But I am not complaining there, because I am an A's fan as well!

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 21:04
Oh my god, I CAN PITCH BETTER THAN ZACH MINER!  I'm serious.  I don't know why he's pitching in the Major League.  I mean, alright I will give him that he is good enough to be that long reliever guy who comes in a game that's already been decided and they still got several more innings to go.  You know the gabarge inning eater, but even that you should be giving that to younger guys who has a shot at getting better.  Zach Miner should not pitch in any game that the Tigers are either 7 runs up or 7 runs down.  If it's 7-2 Tigers in 7th inning , don't bring him in unless you want to lose.  I'm not kidding when I say I can pitch better than him, I threw a 7 inning two hitter in highschool.  Even though it was Class D, mostly small christian private schools in my district, I'm sure they would scare Zach Miner too. 

Dolsi on the other hand.  I like that guy.  He should pitch more.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2008 at 03:14

Oh my god, I CAN PITCH BETTER THAN ZACH MINER!  I'm serious.  I don't know why he's pitching in the Major League.  I mean, alright I will give him that he is good enough to be that long reliever guy who comes in a game that's already been decided and they still got several more innings to go.  You know the gabarge inning eater, but even that you should be giving that to younger guys who has a shot at getting better.  Zach Miner should not pitch in any game that the Tigers are either 7 runs up or 7 runs down.  If it's 7-2 Tigers in 7th inning , don't bring him in unless you want to lose.  I'm not kidding when I say I can pitch better than him, I threw a 7 inning two hitter in highschool.  Even though it was Class D, mostly small christian private schools in my district, I'm sure they would scare Zach Miner too. 

Dolsi on the other hand.  I like that guy.  He should pitch more.

Miner did ok this evening.  I am happy to see that Zumaya is doing well and has not lost any of his velocity from the injuries.  I hope Dontrelle Willis does not turn into a total bust for the Tigers.  He did awful last season and has already been sent down to the minors to work out problems in 2008.

WOO HOO!  Miguel Cabrera just hit a walk-off homerun to beat the Indians!

King Kang, what do you think about the DH situation?  It seems that after the shoulder injury, Gary Sheffield is not the slugger he was.  I think he might as well retire.  If they can get rid of him, there are some interesting options to pursue.  When Shef was on the DL, there was some speculation that the Tigers would look into getting Barry Bonds!  Also, it appears that Adam Dunn will be on the block soon; they might look into getting him.  He could be a good DH and can play the corner outfield spots and 1B defensively.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2008 at 04:24

All I can think is that there were so many changes in lineup and fielding positions than it through the whole machine off kilter.  It should gel soon, I hope.  I don't know if they can salvage the season.  The starting pitching has been majorly inconsistent and straining the bullpen.  Too bad they could not have gotten rid of Sheffield and picked up Frank Thomas after he left the Blue Jays.  But I am not complaining there, because I am an A's fan as well!

NBA and Euro Cup are over and guess what?  The Rally Cats are BACK!  Actually the same day Euro Cup final game was over the Tigers claimed up to .500 and stayed above since.  Strange how things happen that way.  At one point they were on a 18-4 roll.  They cooled down a little last week especially against the pesky Twins but they are got back on the horse against the all but given up Indians. 

I just watched them claim back from 1-6 deficit to win with Miguel Cabrera's two run homer in the 9th inning.   Wow, so much has changed for this team since my last post.  Zumaya's back.  He's still not throwing 102 mph but steady 95-100 mph.  And he's throwing strikes which is most important.  He's throwing breaking balls for strikes too and started to use his change up which he's been working on.  He's becoming more of a pitcher than the flame thrower he's known for.   

Cabrera's getting hot.  And OMG, Marcus Thames has been amazing.  At one point last month he hit 8 out of hits out of the park.  Yeah, those boys are what the Tigers commentator Rod Allen calls 'Country Strong'.    Granderson is healthy again and Planco has shaken off his early season struggle.  I think Planco's early season struggle has much to do with Granderson's early season injury.  Whole month of April they were horrible, no Granderson and Planco finished that month under .200!  Now Planco raised ave to 315-320 level, Granderson is an All Star.  Those two guys are soooo important for this team. 

They also developed some young talents while they were struggling too.  Armando Galarraga has been their best starter came out of nowhere.  Bonine is also a crafty rookie.  Dolsi kept the seat warm while Zumaya was away.  All those young pitchers have bright future I think.  Clete Thomas and Matt Joyce has been also unexpected revelations in hitting and defending.   All these are really positive.  I was starting to worry that the Tigers becoming more like the Yankees, the Mets, the White Sox, the Cubs and the Red Sox, just collection of expensive stars.  I mean that's fine, it's been working for some of those teams.  But Detroit isn't that big of market to compete with those teams on buying spree year in and year out.   When the Tigers went WS they didn't get there with the free agent all stars.  They got there with home grown young talents with a few rejects and has-been veterans.   

That's why I like the Twins other than the Tigers actually.  They are perhaps the most fundamentally sound team.  They don't win with big names and big homeruns.  They win with good defense, good bullpen and manufacturing runs with speed and micro management.  I mean when they lost Johan Santana, Liriano and even Torii Hunter and Luis Castillo, that would have finished any other team. 

But Ron Gardenhire has to the best manager in MLB.  Well, at least he makes the most out his players more than any other manager.  I mean I like what Leyland has done for Detroit, I respect what Joe Torre, LaRussa and Francona has achieved I love how Mike Scoscia has built that Angels franchise and Pinella and Ozzie Guillen are flat out entertaining(I can't believe those ended up in same city!) but if I start a MLB team today, Gardenhire is my guy.       

But the Twins are in town tomorrow.  The Twins are always difficult to deal with for the Tigers.  Although I didn't wanna see the Tigers lose it was cool to see Craig Monroe hitting the winning homer against his former team last week, bringing me back some memories from two seasons ago.  It will be an important and good series starting tomorrow.      
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 00:31
Wow, some interesting trades have been made here recently.  What does everyone think about them?

1.  C.C. Sabathia to the Brewers
2.  Rich Harden to the Cubs
3. Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers; Jason Bay to the Red Sox
4. Ivan Rodriguez to the Yankees for (only!) Kyle Farnsworth
5. Richie Sexson picked up by Yankees as a free agent
6. Mark Teixeira to the Angels
7. Ken Griffey, Jr. to the White Sox

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 01-Aug-2008 at 00:31
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 01:39
It's been an interesting trade season this year!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 07:32

Wow, some interesting trades have been made here recently.  What does everyone think about them?

1.  C.C. Sabathia to the Brewers
2.  Rich Harden to the Cubs
3. Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers; Jason Bay to the Red Sox
4. Ivan Rodriguez to the Yankees for (only!) Kyle Farnsworth
5. Richie Sexson picked up by Yankees as a free agent
6. Mark Teixeira to the Angels
7. Ken Griffey, Jr. to the White Sox

Sabathia has been amazing for the Brewers, not just pitching but also hitting!

Not sure how Rich Harden has been for the Cubbies but he is very talented so it should be good for both the team and the player since they are in contention.

Man Ram to Dodgers, hopefully the change of scenery, California Sun and the glamor chills him out.  I think he will do fine.  Jason Bay is no Man Ram but is no slouch either.  He should be good for something like .280, 25, 80 any year, I don't know what his numbers are this season though. 

Pudge for Farnsworth.  I have mixed feelings about this.  I'm not as critical some of my friends here in Michigan.  Tigers had Farnsworth before and I think he is one of the better middle relievers out there.   With Todd Jones struggling and Zumaya and Rodney still fresh from recovering, all three of them have question marks to say the least.  The bottom line is that they needed another middle reliever or possibly a closer.  Farnsworth can, in theory, fill in either role.  Now is he worth Pudge?  Is Pudge worth Pudge?  Don't get wrong I love Pudge.  I have no doubt he is a first ballot Hall of Famer.  I love the way he led that Marlins team to the WS Champs.  He is one of the best catcher ever to throw out the runners that they just don't run on him any more.  But this is not same juiced up pudge that used to put out .320, 30, 100, 20 for Texas.  But then again you don't need that from your catcher, though a big plus.  Past few years he's been undisciplined hitter with no power.  No power part I can live with, undisciplined part I can't.  He swings for way to many high cheese, usually about 6 inch below.  I'm not saying this is necessarily his weakness, again I can live a catcher that can't hit.  But I can not live with batters that gives away at bats.  But the most important part of being a catcher is not hitting or even throwing the runners out.  It's the game calling.  When I watch the Tigers game I try to call every pitch myself.   Fastball, breaking ball, change up, slider....  In or out.  High or low.  You know, trying to get into the pitcher's mind.   Texas is never a big pitching powerhouse, are they?  Again I love how he led that Marlins squad.  I mean that year alone can make Pudge my favorite catcher of all time.  But with this young Tigers pitchers I don't know if he has been that same guy any more.  yeah most of the blame should be placed on the pitchers being young and making mental mistakes but Pudge should share some of that responsibility.  Too many times the tigers pitchers get in troubles because they try too hard to pitch around the hitters.  They have good enough stuff to challenge the batters more.  That is the catcher's job.   

Having said all that there is the Inge issue.  I think Inge belongs in the third base.  He might not be the most consistent but he is one of the most if not THE most athletic third baseman out there.  He's got a canon arm also.  Guillen is actually holding down that position fine for now and he will give better bat from that position than Inge for sure.  And the third base is where traditionally you get some power out of.  But the Tigers have enough bats with powers already, they can afford to have a defensive third baseman.  In overall I'm happy with getting Farnsworth though I wish he was a lefty but doesn't everyone need a hard throwing lefty off the pen?   I'm sad to see Pudge go but i can live it.  Happy to see Inge getting a full time position but not the position that i want. 

Rich Sexon to Yankees.  Yankees always had that proven starter from other team comes off as the pinch hitter, from Chilli Davis to Aaron Boone.  i think he will fill that role unless there is an injury spot to fill in, then he could fill in  rightfield, 1at base or DH.  i think he could be even a starter and be more like how Sean Casey was for the Tigers when they went to WS.

Teixeira to Angels.  Not fair.  this officially put Angels as my pick to win WS at this moment.

Ken Griffey Jr. to Chi Sox.  I'm happy for him to play for a contenter.  One of my favorite player of all time.  Not happy that he's with Chi Sox though.  I've been wanting for him ende up with the Yankees for past few years.  Not that i want the Yankees to be better necessarily but I think his career deserves to end with a title, or least celebrated in limelight like how Roger Clemens finished his career.  But who knows?  Chicago is a big enough town and i think they have better chance winning the title than the Yankees right now.  My pick is still the Angels though.   

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 01-Aug-2008 at 16:14
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 01:13
This thread has been quiet for a while now.  The MLB postseason is fast-approaching and promises to be an entertaining spectacle.  Who are your picks for the playoffs and the World Series?

I will skip right to the World Series and say that I hope to see the Tampa Bay Rays and the Los Angeles Dodgers in it.  This would be very new and exciting for baseball as the Rays have never made it this far and the Dodgers have not in a long time.

Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 00:01
Haven't the Mets been here before? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>