Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's in a name?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's in a name?
    Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 04:34
In Europe, when a woman gets married she changes her surname to her husbands surname.
In the middle east, when a woman gets married she keeps her own name.
In the subcontinent, she changes her name to her husbands.

Why?

Is changing your name a Indo-European thing? Do Irani's and Turks do it?
What is the purpose of changing your name?
When did this start happening?

What about other cultures? Do you change or not change?

Do you have a preference towards your wife/yourself changing your name? Why?

I can moderately understand why Arabs do not change their name; because of the importance of family history, but what about everyone else?
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 05:04
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

In Europe, when a woman gets married she changes her surname to her husbands surname.
In the middle east, when a woman gets married she keeps her own name.
In the subcontinent, she changes her name to her husbands.

Why?

Is changing your name a Indo-European thing? Do Irani's and Turks do it?
What is the purpose of changing your name?
When did this start happening?

What about other cultures? Do you change or not change?

Do you have a preference towards your wife/yourself changing your name? Why?

I can moderately understand why Arabs do not change their name; because of the importance of family history, but what about everyone else?

Hm. I believe the Romans did it, so the process goes at least that far back... Don't know, beyond though. Interesting question. Clap

-Akolouthos
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 05:31
To correct you there Omar, in the Hispanic world it works differently I believe.

For a child, your name is then: (first name) + (second name) + (father's surname) + (mother's surname). Your overall surname is your father's, but when saying your full name this is the order it follows.

For the wife, she drops her mother's maiden surname and replaces it with her husband's paternal surname, with the word de between that name and her father's surname.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 08:09
Taking the name of the husband is a relatively new idea in Scandinavia - it wasn't until the idea with family names were forced upon people a few centuries ago. The Icelanders still practice the old naming system, where the wife keeps her own name.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 10:24
Omer even in S Asia until the arrival of the British name changing was not the norm.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 17:07
In the Netherlands women add their husbands surname between their first name and their own surname. Some women use only their husbands name in dayly life, bus some always use both names.

The idea of taking the husbands name is rooted, I think, in the fact that often in the past, a woman would marry into her husbands family. She would legally become part of that family, and would legally be seperated from her own. She was thier responsibility, for her good behaviour or her bad, her maintenance both during the marriage as when she was widowed.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 18:45
In Turkey womans use their husbands name.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by Constantine XI

To correct you there Omar, in the Hispanic world it works differently I believe.

For a child, your name is then: (first name) + (second name) + (father's surname) + (mother's surname). Your overall surname is your father's, but when saying your full name this is the order it follows.

For the wife, she drops her mother's maiden surname and replaces it with her husband's paternal surname, with the word de between that name and her father's surname.

Umm i don't know if that is the ancient practice or in other hispanic countries, but in Spain:

First name + (optional, other names) + Father's surname + Mother's surname

Always, when child and after the woman is married. In fact, since recent years you can choose the order of the surnames like you want, putting first your mather and then your father althought the tradition is like i said before.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 01:53
Ikki, I think it was indeed a more ancient practice.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 01:53
Originally posted by Sparten

Omer even in S Asia until the arrival of the British name changing was not the norm.

I suspected as much but I didn't know for sure.

So it appears as if each society has taken the naming method fairly randomly. Which just makes the underlying reason more obscure.
Originally posted by Erkut

What about in Ottoman days though? Was it still done then?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 03:20
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by Sparten

I suspected as much but I didn't know for sure.

So it appears as if each society has taken the naming method fairly randomly. Which just makes the underlying reason more obscure.
Originally posted by Erkut

What about in Ottoman days though? Was it still done then?

As far as I know it was done under Ottoman times, too.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 03:33
Originally posted by Ikki

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Umm i don't know if that is the ancient practice or in other hispanic countries, but in Spain:

Always, when child and after the woman is married. In fact, since recent years you can choose the order of the surnames like you want, putting first your mather and then your father althought the tradition is like i said before.

That's confussing.

Actually, the common practise in Hispanic countries is for people to have:

Women keep theirs names all theirs lives, independently if they are married of not.

Only as a formality, in wedding invitations for example, the particle "of (husband Father's name)" is ADDED to the full name of married women.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 16:29
Hey!  First post!

Originally posted by Ikki

Agreed, that's how it works most of the time.  I think it has more to do with religion than anything else.  Most cultures that allow such a tradition are, from what I've noticed (no official analysis here - just observation) Spanish/Central/South American hispanic, and are overwhelmingly Catholic.  Catholicism puts a heavy emphasis on the Madre de Dios.  I really don't think that's a coincidence, but I have no proof.  Only conjecture. Cool
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2015 at 20:05
Louise-Hippolyte became the reigning Princesse de Monaco.    
Her father Antoine I had gotten her future husband Jacques de Montignon, Comte de Thorigny, to sacrifice his name and coat of arms to obtain a duchy of his own if he married Louise-Hippolyte.      
Jacques legally changed his name to Grimaldi.
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2015 at 21:58
Since his marriage on June 19, 2010 to Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Daniel Westling has been styled as "His Royal Highness Prince Daniel of Sweden, Duke of Vastergotland".      
In his birth register, he added the surname Bernadotte.
 Post Reply Post Reply