Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holocaust Deniers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holocaust Deniers
    Posted: 20-May-2008 at 20:14
Originally posted by Maharbbal

People, you seem to forget one thing: the camps weren't the only place were Jews were parked and killed by the Nazi. I mean the ghettos of Lodz and Wasaw in particular were pretty full, and then got totally empty, the people parked there did not disappear into thin air… Similarly, the killing commandos on the Eastern front killed thousands and buried them in such way that now mass graveyard are dug up all over Ukraine. Even if nobody was killed in the camps, the question remains: where did the people from the Yiddishland and Saloniki go to? There were millions of them, they've been killed.
We are not investigating a murder in a trial were each case has to be followed step by step. The fact that entire populations disappeared kind of shows that something happened. We may not know how many have been killed, but we pretty much know how many were alive before and not after.
That's generally true for civilians in major wars. But Holocaust is systematic killing, not just missing Jew civilians.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 12:01
Originally posted by Chilbudios

People, you seem to forget one thing: the camps weren't the only place were Jews were parked and killed by the Nazi. I mean the ghettos of Lodz and Wasaw in particular were pretty full, and then got totally empty, the people parked there did not disappear into thin air… Similarly, the killing commandos on the Eastern front killed thousands and buried them in such way that now mass graveyard are dug up all over Ukraine. Even if nobody was killed in the camps, the question remains: where did the people from the Yiddishland and Saloniki go to? There were millions of them, they've been killed.
We are not investigating a murder in a trial were each case has to be followed step by step. The fact that entire populations disappeared kind of shows that something happened. We may not know how many have been killed, but we pretty much know how many were alive before and not after.
That's generally true for civilians in major wars. But Holocaust is systematic killing, not just missing Jew civilians.

I agree with both of you, which is why (a) I date the actual Holocaust from 1943 even though there were major crimes before that, and (b) I take the fact that the numbers are so great they can only be explained by systematisation and deliberate action. The only other factor that produces deaths on this scale is epidemic disease, and a disease that sprang up in the forties, killed for the vast majority only Jews, and then went away when the camps were liberated is pretty unlikely.

Some of Zaitsev's 'highly unreliable evidence':

Not systematic?

Edited by gcle2003 - 21-May-2008 at 12:02
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 12:06
Don't get me wrong, I am not disputing that Holocaut existed, I just say we should not count every missing Jew as a victim of Holocaust. He could have been a victim of typhoid fever or of a shell. So the number of deaths in Holocaust cannot be calculated simply as being the difference between populations before and after the war and it must be derived from other sources.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 17:29
If you die of typhoid in a concentration camp or ghetto that you were forced into that death can be counted as part of the Holocaust since he there is a good chance he would not have contracted the disease had it not been for the forced residence in a concentration camp or ghetto.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 17:59
I would say that perhaps the majority of victims were victims of disease. As was the case with every war till WWII (and that not until the arrival of pencillin).
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 18:10
Originally posted by gcle2003

Not systematic?

Correct me if Im wrong but isn't Auschwitz blamed for ~1 to 1.5 million deaths. Now the logical reasoning would be that the Nazis also buried the victims around the camp or that the ovens they had could handle such capacity. Do you see that this number is ludicrous considering how much space even around 1000 bodies take such as the picture that you posted?

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 18:12
Originally posted by King John

If you die of typhoid in a concentration camp or ghetto that you were forced into that death can be counted as part of the Holocaust since he there is a good chance he would not have contracted the disease had it not been for the forced residence in a concentration camp or ghetto.
Perhaps some Jews fled from persecutions in America and perhaps died there in a car crash, while driving their Chevy I suggest to add these deaths too on the Holocaust, because if they'd live in Poland or Ukraine or Hungary, there was a good chance they wouldn't drive any Chevy.

If there's good evidence their death was part of an intentional act of killing (by refusing medical care because they were Jews and they were supposed to die in that Final Solution - I'm sure plenty such cases happened), go and hold somebody guilty for it, otherwise it seems just grotesque.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 19:06
So people within ghettos and concentration camps got the same medical treatment as those without? There is a difference between what I said and what you said. The fleeing to America is a personal choice. Being rounded up and moved against your will is not the same. If you are forced to live in unsanitary conditions and you contract a disease and die from it; your death can be placed on the hands of those who moved you. It is not grotesque it is simply logic. The same logic applies in indicting somebody for homicide or murder when all they did was chase somebody it to a street only to get hit by a car. The person in the car might not get charged but the person doing the chasing is civilly and (possibly) criminally liable for the death. If the actions of the Nazis resulted in a death of a civilian in a concentration camp or ghetto then the death can and should be counted toward the number killed in the Holocaust.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 19:20
Chil you are mistaking on the equation. The total number of victims of the Shoah is (very roughly) the total of Jews in Europe in 1939 minus the total of Jews in Europe in 1945 minus the number of Jewish migrants divided by survivability rate of non-Jewish Europeans at the same period (which accounts for the Chevvy accidents).

We have a pretty good idea of the number of migrants to England, Portugal, America and Israel at the time.

This quick issue solved, I don't understand what you mean by  "go and hold somebody guilty for it". Haven't you ever heard of Nuremberg? Besides there are good evidence of their death (if you fancy one day I can send you the testimony of a catholic priest who had my grand father die in his arms in Mathausen), but the definition of it as a 'crime' is problematic as it was ordered by a sovereign government.

Finally, unlike most of you I consider that figure matters. 500 000 dead is not the same as 5 million. The difference is to be found in the fact that it wiped out the map an entire population, a culture, several languages are not spoken any more nowadays because of that (Judeo-Italian, Judeo-Greek and Yiddish have so to speak disappeared).

Finally Vulkan, you are taking the issue of the death toll by the wrong end: we know how many trains arrived in Auschwitz, we know how many survivors there were, so the question is not did they bury 600 000 to 1 million bodies but how did they bury them.

Once more some math: an average human takes 1,8x0,4x0,2=0,144 cubic meters, so in a mass grave of the following dimensions 100x1,8x10 you can pile up 12 500 bodies, it means that 48 such graves would be enough to bury 50% of those who died in the camp assuming that the rest was whether cremated or left to rot. That means that all the victims could have been buried under 12 football fields!

I really don't see what's your problem with the fact that over 5 millions Jews were brutally murdered by the Nazis from 1939 to 1945. The figure (although enormous) is not even that high considering the number of death the war caused (about 10%). The problem here is that you are mistaking criminal justice where instigating even the shadow of a doubt is enough to absolve somebody from a murder and history where the enquiry is not design to punish but to participate to knowledge. We'll never know exactly who killed who and why and exactly in what conditions, but that is not what matters. What is important is to realize that a whole population seemingly disappeared into thin air in a 5 years period.
I am a free donkey!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 19:23
Originally posted by king john

So people within ghettos and concentration camps got the same medical treatment as those without?
Many times they didn't, but many times also the people outside ghettos lacked medical treatment, proper food, sometimes experienced brutality from the occupying armies, etc.

fleeing to America is a personal choice.
Not so much. Is fleeing from death. Fleeing to a neutral country or allied country, fleeing to a country perhaps as far as possible, fleeing to a country where freedom is highly valued (and America was a symbol for many). America was a natural choice for many Jews and also other Europeans fleeing the war and the misery, wasn't it? The war (but also anti-semitism as a contemporary phenomenon) had a deep impact on the lives of many people.

If you are forced to live in unsanitary conditions and you contract a disease and die from it; your death can be placed on the hands of those who moved you. It is not grotesque it is simply logic. The same logic applies in indicting somebody for homicide or murder when all they did was chase somebody it to a street only to get hit by a car. The person in the car might not get charged but the person doing the chasing is civilly and (possibly) criminally liable for the death. If the actions of the Nazis resulted in a death of a civilian in a concentration camp or ghetto then the death can and should be counted toward the number killed in the Holocaust. .
Holocaust (and genocide) is by definition an issue of intentional and systematic killing, not whatever killing. The German soldiers and authorities are responsible for the killing of many civilians, Jews and not only. Similarly the Russian, the American, the British ones (probably they also killed Jews, too). But these killings do not count as genocidal, the guilt of genocide (Holocaust) should not be applied in such cases unless it can be proven directly by actions.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 19:43
Chil you are mistaking on the equation. The total number of victims of the Shoah is (very roughly) the total of Jews in Europe in 1939 minus the total of Jews in Europe in 1945 minus the number of Jewish migrants divided by survivability rate of non-Jewish Europeans at the same period (which accounts for the Chevvy accidents).

We have a pretty good idea of the number of migrants to England, Portugal, America and Israel at the time.

This quick issue solved, I don't understand what you mean by  "go and hold somebody guilty for it". Haven't you ever heard of Nuremberg? Besides there are good evidence of their death (if you fancy one day I can send you the testimony of a catholic priest who had my grand father die in his arms in Mathausen), but the definition of it as a 'crime' is problematic as it was ordered by a sovereign government.

Finally, unlike most of you I consider that figure matters. 500 000 dead is not the same as 5 million. The difference is to be found in the fact that it wiped out the map an entire population, a culture, several languages are not spoken any more nowadays because of that (Judeo-Italian, Judeo-Greek and Yiddish have so to speak disappeared).
In my country (Romania), the official comission of investigating the Holocaust (see report here: http://yad-vashem.org.il/about_yad/what_new/data_whats_new/report1.html ) found between 280,000 and 380,000 Romanian and Ukrainian Jews killed by the Romanian authorities (please note the range!), many of them being Ukrainian. An additional 132,000 Romanian Jews were reported to be deported to Auschwitz by Hungarian authorities controlling North Transylvania. There are approximatively about 400,000 Romanian Jews missing after WWII and AFAIK I've seen no report to solve the equation: Missing Jews = Holocaust killed Jews + Emigrating Jews. There are always some tens of thousands (perhaps more, as you can see that range itself is of 100,000!) missing from the calculations.

At Nuremberg trials no one was charged for Holocaust. This term actually exists currently in English language since the '50s, after these trials ended (I don't know other European languages).
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 19:51
What if somebody died of malnutrition in a Concentration Camp does this count as part of the holocaust numbers?

Fleeing from death is a choice. The choice is stay or die if somebody decides to leave that is a choice.

Were people outside of Concentration Camps operated on for experiments?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 19:52
I agree that not every missing Jew was a victim of the holocaust. Like I said earlier, like most sources I date the beginning of the Holocaust from 1943, and a lot of Jews had been killed one way and another before then, including in concentration camps. But I remember reading when I was about 10 (1943) a book published before the war about the concentration camps and what happened to the people in them because of deliberate ill treatment, including the traing of dogs to attack them.

Which is all one of the reasons I don't think there's any point in trying to figure out details of numbers. What matters is that there was a deliberate and largely successful attempt to exterminate an entire people: how many such people there were is hardly the point. It's the 'entire' that is important, whether the techniques used were those of the Holocaust, or of the Einsatzgruppen, or of concentration camps like Belsen, or just the denial of medical services and food.

Of course in specific trials against individuals, like Eichmann or Barbie, the normal precautions of the assumption of innocence have to apply, and you need specific evidence linking that individual to that crime. But that is for purposes of conviction and punishment. Those standards don't apply when one is simply studying a whole anonymous social phenomenon.

With regard to the burial issue: many were of course cremated. But the Nazis weren't too concerned with burying the bodies anyway. 13,000 of them were discovered unburied at Belsen alone, and the allied soldiers had to bury them.

This is a British Army bulldozer:

Edited by gcle2003 - 21-May-2008 at 19:56
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 19:57
Originally posted by vulkan02

Originally posted by gcle2003

Not systematic?

Correct me if Im wrong but isn't Auschwitz blamed for ~1 to 1.5 million deaths. Now the logical reasoning would be that the Nazis also buried the victims around the camp or that the ovens they had could handle such capacity. Do you see that this number is ludicrous considering how much space even around 1000 bodies take such as the picture that you posted?

The bodies in the picture were fresh. The Germans hadn't got around to cremating them.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 20:21
These bodies are those recovered by the allies when they liberated the camp evacuated by the Nazis and bulldozed into the grave to avoid epidemics.
I am a free donkey!
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 06:44

Finally Vulkan, you are taking the issue of the death toll by the wrong end: we know how many trains arrived in Auschwitz, we know how many survivors there were, so the question is not did they bury 600 000 to 1 million bodies but how did they bury them.

Once more some math: an average human takes 1,8x0,4x0,2=0,144 cubic meters, so in a mass grave of the following dimensions 100x1,8x10 you can pile up 12 500 bodies, it means that 48 such graves would be enough to bury 50% of those who died in the camp assuming that the rest was whether cremated or left to rot. That means that all the victims could have been buried under 12 football fields!

I really don't see what's your problem with the fact that over 5 millions Jews were brutally murdered by the Nazis from 1939 to 1945. The figure (although enormous) is not even that high considering the number of death the war caused (about 10%). The problem here is that you are mistaking criminal justice where instigating even the shadow of a doubt is enough to absolve somebody from a murder and history where the enquiry is not design to punish but to participate to knowledge. We'll never know exactly who killed who and why and exactly in what conditions, but that is not what matters. What is important is to realize that a whole population seemingly disappeared into thin air in a 5 years period.

Okay so were these large fields that you say actually found, or was the evidence such as that posted above used to "prove" that millions indeed died there?

I'm not trying to absolve the Nazis, or the Soviets or anyone of the governments and institutions that aided in committing this atrocity. Like I explained before a lot of people might have lost contact with each other and the numbers might be inflated by the winners to hide their own mass murders both against their own citizens and others.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 07:23
Gosh you have a problem with the concept of hypothesis. I never said they were buried, I only demonstrated that it was feasible easily to bury them. Once more we have the number of trains that arrived at Auschwitz, if you assume that they were full, you get the number of people that died there.

In effect, that is on average five trains a week to Auschwitz with about 2 000 people in each train from 1942 to late 1944 (150 weeks). That's 2 000 x 150 x 5 = 1 500 000 people in Auschwitz give or take a margin of error.

At the end, 60 000 prisoners were marched out of the camp to the West and 10 000 were left inside the camp. This is coherent with other forms of calculation (for instance the survival rate of those we know for a fact went to the camps). For instance the 300 children arrested in Paris July 18 1942, only 5 survived…

I don't know what else you need. Besides, you still have the estimated 2 million corps left by the Nazis all over Europe and mostly in the East, to convince you. I have posted a link before but maybe you didn't care to check. These have definitely "lost contact with their friends and family". Your explanation is not relevant as we know how many people emigrated out of continental Europe after the Shoah, and that is way less that those who were murdered by the Nazis.

The fact that the numbers have been inflated doesn't prove anything except that they have been inflated. No 4 million people did not die in Auschwitz as the Soviets claimed, it doesn't mean that 1 million people did not die there.
I am a free donkey!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 08:40

Fleeing from death is a choice. The choice is stay or die if somebody decides to leave that is a choice.
According to this twisted logic, the victims in most cases they could suicide (or even cooperate and kill each other and leave few or eventually no survivors - there were actually such cases of mothers killing childrens with the obvious intention to save them from a horrible fate). So they chose to be victims, right?

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 12:17

Not quite right. The choice was between run and get killed when caught, or stay (and possibly hide, like Anne Frank) and hope they'll miss you.

Don't forget that harbouring a runaway Jew or helping one escape was punishable by death. If they ran they couldn't hope for much help from the neightbours (with, of course, the occasional honourable exception like Schindler).
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2008 at 19:18
Maharbbal,
Good analysis.  I don't have a problem with the hypothesis - I only wonder if such numbers as you say were actually found in or around Auschwitz. Provide the Germans really had the manpower and logistics needed to transport them then it is perfectly acceptable that it may have happened.
I also don't know which link you are talking about.

By the way for the 2 million left across Europe, we can't know for sure that the Nazi's were responsible for all of the killings especially since they were in the Easter side. The Soviets "found" or better say concocted records of dead people to blame it squarely on the Nazis while keeping busy themselves committing crimes such as the Kaytlyn forest massacre.

Edited by vulkan02 - 23-May-2008 at 19:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>