Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phillipines and Mexico

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phillipines and Mexico
    Posted: 05-Jun-2016 at 16:26
Its a very old thread but still open. You can always start a new one if you have something interesting. Maybe something pre-colonial? 

Star

Edited by Sander - 05-Jun-2016 at 16:36
Ricsoler View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ricsoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2016 at 04:14
Question: Is the Forum on Philippines and Mexico no longer active?
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2010 at 20:01
Originally posted by eaglecap

Something I never gave much thought to but what you say Cryptic makes a lot of sense. the sounthern island is mostly Islamic and if I am correct that is where most of their problems are coming from Muslims vs Christians. 

Mindanao is magority muslim.  Just how large a magority, however, is a matter of debate. Most of the truly indigenous tribal peoples have recently converted from amnism to evangelical christianity.
Some near indigenous peoples are Christian, while most are Muslim.

I guess it boils down to two versions of the Islamic presence in the Phillipines:

Version A:  Islam was actively suppressed by the Spanish, forcibly eliminated from the centeral Phillipines and forced to retreat to Mindanao.

Version B: Islam never had a strong presence in the Phillipines.  Muslim ruler routinely exagerrated Muslim numbers by deeming subject peoples to be "muslims". Even in Mindanao, though muslims might be the magority, there has always been large amnist or Christian communities.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2010 at 09:47
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Ashura

The Philippines as a whole should not had been a catholic country..if wasn't for the spanish occupation it will turn into a muslim country..

Undoubtably, the Phillipines would be an Islamic nation had it not been for the Spanish.  At the same time, most of the Phillipinos were amnists when the Spanish arrived.  Islam was as much a missionary religion in the Phillipines as Catholic Christianity.  The Catholics just had more powerful sponsors.

Something I never gave much thought to but what you say Cryptic makes a lot of sense. the sounthern island is mostly Islamic and if I am correct that is where most of their problems are coming from Muslims vs Christians. I like the Philipino people and I have always thought Philipino woman makes some of the best wives or so I hear. I almost went there but ended up going to Mexico instead.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 20:36
Originally posted by Ashura

The Philippines as a whole should not had been a catholic country..if wasn't for the spanish occupation it will turn into a muslim country..

Undoubtably, the Phillipines would be an Islamic nation had it not been for the Spanish.  At the same time, most of the Phillipinos were amnists when the Spanish arrived.  Islam was as much a missionary religion in the Phillipines as Catholic Christianity.  The Catholics just had more powerful sponsors.
Ashura View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ashura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 10:12
A part of Indonesia now was under New Spain and that was the Manado area...

The Philippines as a whole should not had been a catholic country..if wasn't for the spanish occupation it will turn into a muslim country..but I think once the philippines becomes an islamic country it will be proud of it's asian roots plus the change of the country's name.

Edited by Ashura - 15-Jun-2010 at 10:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 02:29

Yes, there is an historical link between Fillipinos, Mexicans and Spaniards. They were together thanks to the Manila Gallion that connected the Phillipines with Mexico.

Even more, Spanish gallions for that trade were build in Manila, and most of the sailors were Fillipinos. They also become very convinced Catholics, sometimes a lot more than the rest. Fillipinos also migrated to Mexico, and there is even a folkloric women dress there that comes from that country.

Yes, there is common background between Fillipinos, Latinos and Spaniards. Unfortunatelly after the American invasion they have wiped out the Spanish language there, and with that part of the link is gone.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2009 at 01:01
Originally posted by pinguin

What do you mean ?

Please be clear, because your sense of humour doesn't follow a linear logic and it is a bit strange. Thanks.

Fillipinos in general have " firm " affinity towards Mexicans and Spanish.In my younger years,I knew something not Oriental ( despite them looking Asian ) about them,but didn't know what to make of it until I read this one article written by a Fillipina proclaimed her people being the only un-Asian among all Asian nationalities LOL.

I think the " bond " between Fillipinos & Mexicans is more real than politically-motivated superficial shared Turkic heritage between Turkish nationals & Mongols or other Turkic related peoples Tongue .

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2009 at 19:16
What do you mean? Do you mean in East Asia do you look down on Filipino people? Do you mean you look down on Mexicans? Or both?
Please be clear, because your sense of humour doesn't follow a linear logic and it is a bit strange. Thanks.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2009 at 15:25

Filipino people are the most un-Asian nationality in the Far East,Mexicans can have them ( Oriental-Hispanics ) for cousins LOL

Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 13:57

The "Latin influence" in the Philippines is still manifest in the Filipino martial arts of eskrima and arnis de mano--methods of sword, stick, and knife fighting.  Over 60 percent of the terms used in these arts are Spanish or Spanish-derived.  In addition, there are spiritual aspects to these martial systems that are derived from Catholicism, like the oracion prayer in Latin that is used by eskrimadors for protection and power in combat.

It is interesting to note that there are similar methods of combat that exist in other former Spanish colonies, like garrote larense from Venezuela (which makes use of various sticks, knives, and the machete), and El juego del palo, the stickfighting method from the Canary Islands.

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 11:22

hello newbie here! this is a very interesting thread and a topic i'd love to research further.

the mexican influences on the philippines that are readily apparent were mostly due to trade...we've also never celebrated the 15th of September as our independence day. It's on June 12, at some point we celebrated July 4 as our independece day too.

as somebody posted a while back, the younger generation has almost lost their Latin roots. It's rapidly dying.  nobody really speaks spanish anymore... any spanish or mexican linguistic influence has almost totally gone, except a few words inserted now and then. curiously only the zamboangans in the northwestern part of mindanao speak a semblance of spanish. but generally filipinos nowadays only speak their native dialects, depending on the region plus english, chinese, or arabic.

well anyway, this is very interesting although i disagree about the philippines as a mexican colony. that doesn't make much sense to me. we certainly have so much in common historically and culturally though.

Edited by Raisa
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 11:49

Filipinos in Mexican history
By Floro L. Mercene
Jan 28, 2005, 00:21

MEXICO CITY The role played by Filipinos or strictly speaking, Filipino-Mexicans, in Mexicos struggle for independence is largely ignored by most historians. Ricardo Pinzon, an English teacher from a college in Acapulco, maintains the Filipinos were very visible in this struggle.

In fact, according to Pinzon, two Filipinos became brigade commanders in the army of General Jose Maria Morelos in the state of Guerrero in the Pacific Coast of Mexico from 1810 to 1821.

Mexicos fight for independence from Spain was started by a priest, Fr. Miguel Hidalgo in Dolores in 1810. Morelos picked up the fight in Western Mexico and recruited about 200 Filipino-Mexicans to join his army. The Filipinos were placed under the command of General Vicente Guerrero, who later became the first black president of Mexico.

The Filipino brigade commanders under General Guerrero were identified by Ric Pinzon as Francisco Mongoy and Isidoro Montes de Oca. They distinguished themselves in battles against government troops that in Guerrero they are regarded as folk heroes.

When Guerrero finally surrendered in 1829, he was accompanied by two Filipinos acting as his aides, Miguel de la Cruz and a certain Atieh.

Ric Pinzon traveled from Acapulco to Mexico City for our interview. A great fan of the Filipinos and their contribution to Mexicos growth as a nation, he is writing a book on the Filipino presence in his country, a fact largely ignored by historians.

Filipino sailors on the Manila galleons had been traveling to Mexico between 1570 and 1815. Many of them married local girls and settled in Mexico.

By Pinzons estimate, there are about 200,000 descendants of Filipinos in southern Mexico. They are concentrated in the Costa Grande north of Acapulco. The town of Coyuca 35 miles north of Acapulco was called Filipino town in the old days. There is also a large Filipino community in Colima, about eight hours ride north of Acapulco.

Pinzon says three former governors of Guerrero, where Acapulco is located, may have Filipino ancestry. Juan Alvarez, born in Espinalillo, a Filipino colony, became president of Mexico. His son, Juan Alvarez, became governor of Guerrero in the 1870s.

Alejandro Gomez Maganda figured in the 1910 Revolution and also became governor of Guerrero in the 1940s.

Filipino influence on Mexican culture is very apparent, especially on Mexicos Pacific Coast, where people today continue to imbibe tuba, the drink derived from the coconut tree. They are also engage in games like kite-flying which they make with papel de China. Their names for their fishing boats is panga, which they suspect is of Filipino origin.

In the 18th century, the Manila galleons were attacked by pirates from England and the Netherlands. To fight them off, the Spanish authorities created a small army of Filipinos called the chino brigade in Acapulco. A total of 108 galleons were built in the Philippines during two and a half centuries of its existence. Four were captured by pirates and about 30 were sunk by typhoons.

The trade ended when the Mexican independence movement began in 1810. The last galleon to reach Acapulco was the Magallanes.

source:
http://www.ezilon.com/information/printer_476.shtml
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 21:19

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Let's keep away the animosity for later.
We as mexicans share the same appreciation toward Filipinos.
Please kindly correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm under the idea that September 15th is celebrated also in Philipines and that there's a devotion for our Lady of Guadalupe.

Regards

yes, we also celebrate the Lady of Guadalupe and there is this Statue of Jesus kneeling with a cross. He is called the Black Nazarene and he was made in Mexico. He is very special to us because he had brown skin so most Filipinos could relate to the image.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 21:11

Originally posted by Belisarius

Yes, then we could invade the United States and seek revenge for the deaths of over 200,000 Filipinos under American colonialism and the unjust invasion of Mexico in 1848.

yeah, there were successful revolutions by 1898 in the Philippines but just in time the Americans swoop in to take away our freedom. Just as we were about to kick the Spanish out the Americans instigated the spanish American war.

Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 12:28

Let's keep away the animosity for later.
We as mexicans share the same appreciation toward Filipinos.
Please kindly correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm under the idea that September 15th is celebrated also in Philipines and that there's a devotion for our Lady of Guadalupe.

Regards
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 22:18
Yes, then we could invade the United States and seek revenge for the deaths of over 200,000 Filipinos under American colonialism and the unjust invasion of Mexico in 1848.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 00:35

We Filipinos and Mexicans are like family. We're like your cousins in the east pare. But lately since spanish was abolished, younger generations have forgotten what it's like to be Latin. They now speak english. We hope that it is the Mexican people who will try to connect with us again like in the old days. We hope to resume our once close knit reltaionship with Mexico.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2004 at 01:04
Glad to be of service, Jalisco Lancer.
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 09:53

Hi Etajima:

Wellcome to AE forums.

Thanks for your kindly post.

Regards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>