Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why BBC ignores Latin America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why BBC ignores Latin America?
    Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 21:34
Originally posted by Tyranos

Didn't the British steal the spanish phrase, "The sun never sets on the Spanish Empire"?

LOL.

That was said by Charles I of Spain (Charles V) centuries before the British copied it.
Charles was the emperor of the Conquistadors.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 19:22

Ah, pinguin, you see conspiracies everywhere! Who said that BBc is supposed to be an international broadcasting corporation that is has to give equal coverage to people everywhere, based on their population? What is this, the equal-opportunity-for-all-humanity channel? If this was the case, then 20% of their news should be about China...

Look, this is a British company that wants to do two things: 1. make money, 2. transmit a message. For both purposes, the most important thing to consider is the audience. The audience for their English programs is necessarily people who speak English and who have an interest in the news being shown, either because it affects them personally or because they have some sort of business or political interest in a region. The people who speak English people mostly live in the UK, the US and the rest of the Commonwealth. Meaning that a large chunk of their news will be dedicated to places such as the UK, US, Canada, Australia, India and much of Africa and the Caribbean. Also, Europe will get a lot of coverage, because it is so closely connected with the UK. Now, outside of those regions, in today's world, the most dynamic region for business is probably East Asia, so it will get a good chunk of the coverage as well. The Middle East is a hot-spot of big-news stories and has a lot of importance in a geo-political context.

So the regions that get left out will be Latin America, Central Asia, about half of Africa ( the countries which used to be French, Belgian, Portuguese or Italian colonies), Indonesia, the Caucasus, most of South-East Asia (with the exception of Malaysia) and Oceania. I believe that the rest of the regions which get left out greatly exceed Latin America both in surface and population, so your argument about Latin America deserving more airtime because of it's population and surface area does not hold much ground.

Also, the thing about Latin America is that most people who speak English who will be interested in the region are American and they don't watch much BBC. CNN already has a stranglhold on that market.

Edited by Decebal - 28-Feb-2008 at 19:24
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 23:43
Originally posted by Decebal

Ah, pinguin, you see conspiracies everywhere!

Look, this is a British company that wants to do two things: 1. make money, 2. transmit a message. For both purposes, the most important thing to consider is the audience. The audience for their English programs is necessarily people who speak English and who have an interest in the news being shown, either because it affects them personally or because they have some sort of business or political interest in a region.

Well, they transmit theirs signal to Latin America. There are many people that speak English in here. Perhaps there are more cable suscribers in Latin America that see BBC than people in the Middle East or Africa Confused

Do you see what I mean now?

So the regions that get left out will be Latin America, Central Asia, about half of Africa ( the countries which used to be French, Belgian, Portuguese or Italian colonies), Indonesia, the Caucasus, most of South-East Asia (with the exception of Malaysia) and Oceania. I believe that the rest of the regions which get left out greatly exceed Latin America both in surface and population, so your argument about Latin America deserving more airtime because of it's population and surface area does not hold much ground.

Surface? We should make the calculations. Our surface is not as small as one could assume. But more important, I can bet that this is the ignored region that has more cable suscribers that see BBC.

Also, the thing about Latin America is that most people who speak English who will be interested in the region are American and they don't watch much BBC. CNN already has a stranglhold on that market.

That's not correct. The upper and middle classes of Latin America watch programs in English. They are quite numerous to the point Time Magazine publish a version in English for Latin America. Besides, most people that speak English in the region has a higher economical standard of living than the average.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2008 at 00:42
The BBC ignoring Latin America?

I find plenty of stories about Latin America, although not as many (or in as good detail) as I'd like. However, I see your point. I think part of it could be that a lot of sensational and crazy stuff is happening elsewhere. Just from an outsiders' perspective, it seems as though Latin America is progressing towards world-power level just as China or India are; However, it's much more stable and thus less 'newsworthy" than those countries. It doesn't oppress it''s citizens for religious beliefs or regions as much as China occasionally does, it's not as deeply infested with poverty as India is--it's growing in power a bit slowly compared to (for instance) China, but it's also filled with fairly stable democracies (unlike china), it's goods tend to be lvery un-lead-infested (unlike china), it has problems but they seem to be progressing towards being solved,  It's environment isn't as degraded as it might have been, the gap between rich and poor is narrowing, people who were forgotten are getting health care, electricity, clean water, and education...

I guess what I'm trying to say is: it's a relatively STABLE region that's rising towards world power. That's hard to do, and it's not quite as good for huge sensationalist news stories.

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything, though.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2008 at 01:06
Originally posted by TheARRGH

The BBC ignoring Latin America?

I find plenty of stories about Latin America, although not as many (or in as good detail) as I'd like. However, I see your point. I think part of it could be that a lot of sensational and crazy stuff is happening elsewhere. Just from an outsiders' perspective, it seems as though Latin America is progressing towards world-power level just as China or India are; However, it's much more stable and thus less 'newsworthy" than those countries. It doesn't oppress it''s citizens for religious beliefs or regions as much as China occasionally does, it's not as deeply infested with poverty as India is--it's growing in power a bit slowly compared to (for instance) China, but it's also filled with fairly stable democracies (unlike china), it's goods tend to be lvery un-lead-infested (unlike china), it has problems but they seem to be progressing towards being solved,  It's environment isn't as degraded as it might have been, the gap between rich and poor is narrowing, people who were forgotten are getting health care, electricity, clean water, and education...

I guess what I'm trying to say is: it's a relatively STABLE region that's rising towards world power. That's hard to do, and it's not quite as good for huge sensationalist news stories.

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything, though.

Absolutely. Agreed.

Latin America was a lot more famous by the time of the Cold War, with guerrilla wars, Che Guevara and Castro, coups and killings all over. Today, although we still have some clowns (Chavez, for instance), things are a lot more consensed and democracy has impossed almost everywhere. Besides, people in general is more educated.

Yes, perhaps is better to not call the attention too much LOL. And let the people believe the only things that exist in Latin America is the Amazon, ancient Inca and Aztec ruins and marvellous landscapes, (besides good looking girls). Big%20smile

Edited by pinguin - 11-Mar-2008 at 01:08
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2008 at 01:18
...heh, sounds wonderful.Wink

I'll have to visit sometime...

Probably after all that tedious "college and getting good job" stuff. Or during, since I'd love to do some sort of study abroad.

Edited by TheARRGH - 11-Mar-2008 at 01:18
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2008 at 01:29
Not such a bad idea at all. Consider Mexico (outside Mexico city), Costa Rica, Argentina and Chile in Hispanic America or perhaps the city of Curituba in Brazil, although other places would do fine.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2008 at 02:03
Originally posted by pinguin

Not such a bad idea at all. Consider Mexico (outside Mexico city), Costa Rica, Argentina and Chile in Hispanic America or perhaps the city of Curituba in Brazil, although other places would do fine.

Curituba? I've heard great stuff about that place...sustainable, pretty, nice people, efficient, walkable, etc.

then again, I've heard good stuff about all of these places. I'll just have to hope that i end up in a position where I can travel widely and consistently.

Bandeirante View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bandeirante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 22:15
The name is Curitiba !
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 22:33
Right! Sorry Bandeirante LOL

Could you tell us more about that city?
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 07:05
No news is good news
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 10:30
Greetings pinguin how have you been?, I think a large factor is to do with relevance, shared heritage and a breakdown of our population.
CNN is american, and what with there being a great many people living in america with south american connections, the population has an audience.

In my country, news from brazil and things of portuguese heritage are growing in the media due to a growing brazilian population here.

Most parts of the world are covered due to either power, commenwealth connections, shared sports, oil related, or there is a largeish ethnic minority in our country with a vested interest in recieving news.

spanish south america is by and large outside those areas, atleast to a greater degree than other regions,

Im not saying that is how it would be if i was director general of the BBC, but thats just the way it happens.

Bad news always gets on air, the only news from many countries we see is on the whole bad, ive yet to see good news from iran via the bbc, but good things must happen.

The bbc is not what it once was and by my reckoning it doesnt have very long left in its present state.
long live the king of bhutan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 12:51
Originally posted by longshanks31

Greetings pinguin how have you been?, I think a large factor is to do with relevance, shared heritage and a breakdown of our population.
CNN is american, and what with there being a great many people living in america with south american connections, the population has an audience.

That's true. Americans are more concerned about the Americas than British. If you see the History Channel, for instance, you'll notice the biass they have for Mayan and Inca archeology, which is great for me LOL.
They also have several Spanish networks that link people from Spain to the U.S. and Hispanic America. A market of half a billion people. We also have our own networks covering the same region in Spanish.

spanish south america is by and large outside those areas, atleast to a greater degree than other regions,

Yes, we know that some English speaking networks ignore us as a matter of method.

Im not saying that is how it would be if i was director general of the BBC, but thats just the way it happens.

Bad news always gets on air, the only news from many countries we see is on the whole bad, ive yet to see good news from iran via the bbc, but good things must happen.

The bbc is not what it once was and by my reckoning it doesnt have very long left in its present state.

The problem is that BBC signal doesn't have a big audience in Latin America at all, because it shows things people are not much concerned about. If we consider it, it is very likely there are more influential viewers that speak English in Latin America that in the regions covered by BBC reports. A pitty.

Edited by pinguin - 16-Mar-2008 at 12:53
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 15:45
Personally and im being unnaturally unpatriotic here, i have to say CNN news coverage beats the BBC hands down.
I like the bbc world service on the radio, because i have interests in africa and they cover it well, but other than that, i tend to watch CNN and Bloomberg.
long live the king of bhutan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 19:29
Pinguin, I wish Pakistan was in the news less. In fact a lot less.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 00:27
Originally posted by Sparten

Pinguin, I wish Pakistan was in the news less. In fact a lot less.

I hope so too, even though I'm thousands of miles away...

Do you mind if I ask what it's like to live there these days?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12