Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why BBC ignores Latin America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why BBC ignores Latin America?
    Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 12:32
BBC transmit its international show worldwide. I see it often, but it is usually very disapointing.

They usually speak about Europe and the United States, which is obvious because that broadcaster is based in London. Then they make speacial programs and reports about Africa, China, East Asia, India and the Arab world.

But they never ever make a special program about Latin America. Only the bad news are show once in a while.

It seems to me there is a reason behind the methodical ignorance or downplay. A sort of "conspiracy of silence".

Why the BBC ignores us? Is that attitude widespread in the Anglosaxon culture, or it is just the case of BBC?

Now, if there is a reason why BBC don't like us, what it should be?

(1) We are a small region?
That's false because we have 8% of world population and 20% of earth lands

(2) We are too poor?
China, India and Africa are poorer than us bet get a lot more attention.

(3) We are not progressive?
We progress more than more of the stars of BBC shows.

(4) We are an allien culture?
Perhaps because we don't speak English? China doesn't

Please, explain me why. Meanwhile, I keep seing CNN Spanish

Edited by pinguin - 17-Feb-2008 at 12:33
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 12:36

When was the last time the largest Latin American news agency made stories about Uzbekistan?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 12:56

Not long ago. TVN, our main national network produces documentaries around the world. The former Soviet Union and Central Asia has appeared often on them. Now a series about the Sahara is going on TV.

The question is deeper, though. Why to BBC the world is make of everybody, except Latin America.

A biass, perhaps?

Edited by pinguin - 17-Feb-2008 at 12:58
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 13:02
Well perhaps because there is not as much conflict in Latin America as in many parts of Africa and Asia. I should think that being 'ignored' for that reason is a good thing.

Also, events in Latin America lately are not at the forefront of economic development like China and India are.

Plus events in Latin America don't seem to lead to any drastic change in the global nature of power - unlike events in the Middle East and parts of Asia.

So I don't think BBC is especially ignoring Latin America, I just think they see the action in the world happening elsewhere.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 13:05
BBC gives Chavez a large amount of coverage. And after all he is Latin America.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 13:13
Originally posted by Paul

BBC gives Chavez a large amount of coverage. And after all he is Latin America.

Yes. To the drug dealears and the ocassional volcano explosion too. But they don't have a those fixed and speacial blocks of reports like "Inside Africa", "Inside India", "Inside the Middle East", etc. They also lack Latin reporters.

Conspiration? LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 13:19
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Well perhaps because there is not as much conflict in Latin America as in many parts of Africa and Asia. I should think that being 'ignored' for that reason is a good thing.

Well, I also agree on that. Fortunatelly, the level of throubles in the region has declined very much.
So I wonder if we need a Che Guevara to call the attention LOL 

Also, events in Latin America lately are not at the forefront of economic development like China and India are.

The region is developing without major stress, that's true. We can't develop as fast as Asia because we weren't deep into poverty like those regions were.

Plus events in Latin America don't seem to lead to any drastic change in the global nature of power - unlike events in the Middle East and parts of Asia.

Perhaps Brazilians are right. We should make our own atomic bombs and nuclear subs. The idea of having a continent free of nuclear bombs have lead people to believe we don't mind.
We have to force the attention on us. Confused

So I don't think BBC is especially ignoring Latin America, I just think they see the action in the world happening elsewhere.

Yes. Everywhere else, but in Latin America.

What a boring continent we are... according to BBC, of course LOL

Edited by pinguin - 17-Feb-2008 at 13:20
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 13:41
Originally posted by pinguin

Perhaps Brazilians are right. We should make our own atomic bombs and nuclear subs. The idea of having a continent free of nuclear bombs have lead people to believe we don't mind.
We have to force the attention on us. Confused

So it's a choice between not being on the BBC and making yourself a war target? Not a hard choice. I'd go with being ignored and left the hell alone, nation's are happiest when that happens.

Yes. Everywhere else, but in Latin America.

What a boring continent we are... according to BBC, of course LOL

Australia is a 'boring' continent too. We are a well entertained people, and we live well. But basically the proverb "sh*t happens" doesn't apply to us as much as many other parts of the world. I think we are quite lucky to be so 'boring'.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 13:54
Australia boring? Are you crazy mate? LOL In any case, many of my countrypeople have migrated to your beautiful country-continent. They speak wonders of it.

Now, Australia belongs to the former "Dominions" with New Zealand and Canada, so it is not ignored fully by the BBC. Once in a while they speak about it.

But I agree, better boring than nuked. Perhaps the problem is living in the Southern Hemisphere under the Southern Cross, which makes us not to call much the attention of BBC. They have more important regions to care about, I guess.

Meanwhile, I go with CNN, particularly in Spanish, which focus on us LOL

Edited by pinguin - 17-Feb-2008 at 13:55
Bandeirante View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bandeirante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 15:28

BBC Brasil

Enough for me !

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 16:02
And there is a Spanish version as well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/news/
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 16:37
If you go to bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/default.stm you will see as of 11:30 am 2/17/2008 at least 6 stories about Latin and South America. The problem is news from these countries gets over shadowed by the sole remaining superpower, the USA. However, if you were to click on the language link to spanish you will be able to read News about and from Latin America (it is one of the links on the side).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 22:16
Yes, BBC has section in Spanish addressed to the Spanish-speaking audiences. It is the international English signals, though on which Latin America is always absent.

It is not the same with CNN, which even have Spanish-speaking reporters. Or National Geographics where the archaelogy of Latin America occupies almost a third of the Magazine.

Nope. The biass I notice is in the international signal of BBC.

I guess, I would have to write a letter to those guys LOL

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 23:19

Yes, BBC has section in Spanish addressed to the Spanish-speaking audiences. It is the international English signals, though on which Latin America is always absent.

It is not the same with CNN, which even have Spanish-speaking reporters. Or National Geographics where the archaelogy of Latin America occupies almost a third of the Magazine.

Nope. The biass I notice is in the international signal of BBC.

I guess, I would have to write a letter to those guys LOL

Look at what you are comparing the BBC to. You are comparing the BBC to CNN and National Geographic both of which are US based companies operating in a hemisphere with more native Spanish speakers than English ones. The BBC is located on a continent and hemisphere that has relatively few Spanish speakers compared to the rest of the world. Might this have something to do with your perceived bias?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 00:47
Be carefull what you wish for LOL

Its probobly for the best considering the way BBC seems to be heading, the reports are becomming increasingly sensational and one sided.

A few recent examples...

- Steven Spielberg not making a film for China, this was paraded on the news for days, a report was made in which China was slated, everyone they spoke too took a pot shot at the country. China was made to look like some demonic state, not one Chinese representative was made, in contrast the BBC is on some which hunt with the sponsers of the Olympics and why they don't do the same as Spielberg.

- The independance of Kosovo, just now they gave almost half a minute to a member of the crowd who gave Russia a verbal bollocking. It would be quite provocational to a Russian, it also gives the impression that the average Kosovan is a Russian hating nutcase fanatic and that Russia is trying to invade the region.

- The Archbishop was made into a punching bag after his comments about Shariah law being incorporated into some civil legistlations (this already exists, Islamic banking and marriage regulations can be referred to Islamic law). The flip side of the coin, that sections of Jewish law are allowed was totally ignored.

I haven't been too impressed, although compared to say FOX its still much more objective. Generally BBC is the best news channel probobly in the world, however, in some pollitical matters it does take sides. There has been an increase in anti-Russian and Chinese news reports of late. Then again it is a Brittish broadcasting service, it tries to be impartial but also you could argue it has a result to defend Britain?

Edited by Bulldog - 18-Feb-2008 at 00:49
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 00:47
And actually I noticed that in Mexico both newspapers and TV news were covering less international news than in Europe or even the US.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 01:16
Well, Mexico's and all country news are usually focuses in local news.
However, international networks should have a ballanced view across the world.
CNN in Spanish, and other international Spanish-speaking networks are supposed to be focussed in issues that affect people that speak that language, and that's is fine.
However, the international signal of BBC is supposed to be UNIVERSAL and not focus in the Commonwealth, but in the people internationally.

If so, It just called my attention that always forget the 8% of mankind that lives in 1/5 of earth surface.

Perhaps the solution should be to ask our cable providers in Latin America to quit BBC English, because for us is worthless. LOL
For instance the german networks do better.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 11:39

Well, Mexico's and all country news are usually focuses in local news.

Most national newscasters and newspapers here give about equal coverage to national and international news.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 19:03
Precisely. That's why I wonder why the BBC keep forgetting Latin America in theirs reports.

Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 21:01
Didn't the British steal the spanish phrase, "The sun never sets on the Spanish Empire"?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>