Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Britain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Scaevola View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scaevola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Britain
    Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 15:59
I remember reading that Churchill once remarked, concerning his RAF forces' engagement with the Luftwaffe - "Never before have the fates of so many been in the hands of so few" or something similar, referring to the relatively few airplane pilots and their pivotal role in mantaining the defense of the island.

1) How crucial was the RAF's victory in this battle to the course of the war?
2) What do you believe might have happened if the Luftwaffe would have succeeded?
3) How much responsibility can Churchill and the alleged resolve he inspired in the British people claim for this heroic defense?
SPQR| Alea Iacta Est
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:29
I would say that the Brits of WWII had plenty of resolve with or without Churchill. He surely added to their determination in fortress England. The RAF also had some nifty experience with a little thing called radar. With that early warning system the Hurricanes and Spitfires had a field day especially against Luftwaffe bombers. Had the Germans succedded it wouldn't have been pretty. An invasion would most likey have taken place.

Edited by Seko - 13-Feb-2008 at 16:30
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:41
1) If the Germans "won" there was still the little matter of the Royal Navy to get past, which no one has had much success with for over 500 years.

2) If they had succeeded in forcing a Brotish capitulation, well not much. Britain has a wide world view, it has been their policy for 500 years that there can be no one dominating power on the continent, they went to war against Spain, France and lately Germany over this issue. Even if they had been forced to capiltulate, I doubt it would have changed the over all outcome, like in the Napoleonic wars, it would have merely been a truce, and they would have been looking for an oppurtunity to strike back against old Adolf, like they did against Nappy, or Charly  or Phil, or Lou; say when the Germans failed outside Moscow.

3) Not much, he was a morale raiser, but it was Dowding who won the Battle of Britain, it was Fraser and Cunningham and Horton who ensured that Britain still ruled the seas. Churchill's military decisions were witout exception; disasterous.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 16:46
Ture that the Royal Navy was top notch. However, the era of battleships would have faced the dawn of bomber attacks over the English channel.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 17:10
In the English channel bombers were not as important as mines. It would be difficult for the RN to even get there.

The Germans would have had pretty much free reign without the RN. They would have crossed the channel in their open top landing ships, prayed for good weather or have been annihilated. They would then have had to survive onslaught by the RAF's northern squadrons, which didn't participate in the Battle of Britain and were held in reserve by Dowding for this very instance. A nasty shock......

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 21:29
Originally posted by Scaevola

I remember reading that Churchill once remarked, concerning his RAF forces' engagement with the Luftwaffe - "Never before have the fates of so many been in the hands of so few" or something similar, referring to the relatively few airplane pilots and their pivotal role in mantaining the defense of the island.

1) How crucial was the RAF's victory in this battle to the course of the war?
2) What do you believe might have happened if the Luftwaffe would have succeeded?
3) How much responsibility can Churchill and the alleged resolve he inspired in the British people claim for this heroic defense?
Depends on whether you are discussing simply the war between Britain and Germany or the war as a whole.  Just between Britain and Germany it was important, as a whole, not much.  With Barbarossa and the declaration against the US, BoB became minimal by comparison.  If Britain had been successfully invaded and conquered, the germans are still going to lose I think against the might of the US and USSR. 

If the luftwaffe wins, (assuming low or reasonable casualties for the Germans) the Germans have a much better chance of invading, strong as the royal navy is, it can suffer atrocious casualties against air power.  A successful invasion is still a very risky thing, even with the air war won, I don't know whether the germans attempt anything, theres the prize in the east that has already all but been decided upon.

I think he was best at propaganda and morale for civilians as the figurehead of inspiration, (regular persons might have appreciated seeing a public figure showing resolve/the same feelings they have etc.) someone like gcle could probably answer that one much better than I can.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 10:58

Originally posted by Justinian

I think he was best at propaganda and morale for civilians as the figurehead of inspiration, (regular persons might have appreciated seeing a public figure showing resolve/the same feelings they have etc.) someone like gcle could probably answer that one much better than I can.
Churchill was undeniably a superb rallying figure throughout the war, especially in contrast to Chamberlain. This was true even though as a domestic politician he was still pretty much hated by the trades unions as a result of the Tonypandy incident.

In terms of morale building King George VI often gets overlooked. But his decision to keep his family in London throughout the blitzes had an immense impact on national morale.
Originally posted by Sparten

Not much, he was a morale raiser, but it was Dowding who won the Battle of Britain, it was Fraser and Cunningham and Horton who ensured that Britain still ruled the seas. Churchill's military decisions were witout exception; disasterous.
Including presumably, some of those very appointments. While he didn't appoint Cunningham or Dowding, his replacement of Dowding by Douglas in 1940 was probably a good thing. And don't forget Alexander and Montgomery and Mountbatten and Slim.

What specific military decisions are you talking about (in ww2 - I guess we all know about Gallipoli).
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 10:59
The RAF's victory was pretty crucial in that it demonstrated that the up-to-then feared Luftwaffe had its limitations. That in turn gave hope to all the conquered nations of Europe. Never underestimate the morale effect.

If the Germans had won the BoB over Southern England then they might have tried an invasion but never forget the RAF forces north of the Thames outside Luftwaffe fighter range which would have been available. So the invasion would still have been problematical still more so if delayed beyond September. If the Germans had invaded successfully then there might have been a major turnaround. The US was in no position to fight a war let alone invade Europe unless perhaps strong British elements had escaped overseas to e.g. Canada. The USSR would have faced a Germany who had nothing to worry about at the rear and the results there might have been very different
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 12:00

GLCE2003,

Actually I agree with the Gallopoli thing, the plan was the Admiraltys, the landing on the wrong beaches was the Aussies fault.

Incidentally WWII, Slim was appointed by the Government of India, Wavell to be exact, while in Montys case it was done after reluctance. But then appointments of commanders is always a throw of the dice. His WWII decisions; Greece, depeleteing the Eight Army of almost all of its strategic reserves and ensured two years of bitter fighting, Italy from about December '43 onwards, denying Singapore reinforcements (despite there being a lot of Indian and British troops in Persia just sitting there doing nothing) before the war, and then sending them judicioulsy, when defeat was ensured and they could be added to the captured count.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 13:42

3) Not much, he was a morale raiser, but it was Dowding who won the Battle of Britain, it was Fraser and Cunningham and Horton who ensured that Britain still ruled the seas. Churchill's military decisions were witout exception; disasterous.

What military decisions did he make ?

The were made by the Chiefs of Staff with himself presiding as Minister of Defence. This was to get over the problem of WWI with the 'frocks' and 'brass hats' problem.

Basically it worked extremely well and similar was used in the US and then the Combined Chiefs of Staff who had the joint representatives from the US and the UK.

They worked within political directives to achieve strategic objectives.

Churchill in the UK may and did (as he should) keep prodding the Chiefs of Staff with various ideas some of which he was really sold on.

He never overruled his Chiefs of Staff in the way Hitler used to do. He abided by their decisions
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 13:57
My above post, Singapore. Greece, Italy etc.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 14:12
Again what military decisions did he take on his own without the advice and support of the Chiefs of Staff ?

When and where did ever overrule them ?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 14:15
The decision to send troops to Greece, the decision to reinforce Singapore very late and when it was doomed all against the advice of the General staff.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 15:13
1. The BoB was the first attempt of the Third Reich to achieve a strategic objective that failed. And it showed the weaknesses of the Luftwaffe. The RAF gained experience and confidence.
2. The only way to win was for the Germans to rapidly advance and get a quick surrender. IMHO I think it wouldn't have been possible. First, Dunkirk showed that air forces could wreck havoc against ships yet a transport operation could succeed. So the Germans would not have to be worried about getting ashore because of the RAF but because of the RN. The problem was that they could not have supported the landing with enough warships. None of their battleships was available and the fleet of destroyers was almost wipped out in the norwegian campaign. So if the RN would have been keen to accept horrible losses from the Luftwaffe it would have smashed the transports. I think morale and politics would have counted more than military strength. My guess is that if they would have landed, the Germans would have to give up because ....
3.... Winston was too stubborn and not only him. I've read a lot of books, not only history but also literature and I've never had the impression that the British were about to give up if invaded. They would have made their stand and I think they would have eventually won the battle. Churchill would then have been the hero of all Europe. Sometimes being thick headead is a quality.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 15:26
Incorrect. It may have been against their better judgment but there was no way Greece could be left to suffer unaided. Singapore's reinforcements weren't sent until they were available that may have been too late but both were an accepted risks with which CoS concurred. Given the state of affairs it was the best they could do at the time.

Read Alanbrooke's diaries
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 16:14

Read them again, Alanbrook wanted reinforcements sent in September, when it beca,e clear that war was imminient not in DEcember when it was clear that war would be lost.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 18:28
Originally posted by Cezar

1. The BoB was the first attempt of the Third Reich to achieve a strategic objective that failed. And it showed the weaknesses of the Luftwaffe. The RAF gained experience and confidence.
2. The only way to win was for the Germans to rapidly advance and get a quick surrender. IMHO I think it wouldn't have been possible. First, Dunkirk showed that air forces could wreck havoc against ships yet a transport operation could succeed. So the Germans would not have to be worried about getting ashore because of the RAF but because of the RN. The problem was that they could not have supported the landing with enough warships. None of their battleships was available and the fleet of destroyers was almost wipped out in the norwegian campaign. So if the RN would have been keen to accept horrible losses from the Luftwaffe it would have smashed the transports. I think morale and politics would have counted more than military strength. My guess is that if they would have landed, the Germans would have to give up because ....
3.... Winston was too stubborn and not only him. I've read a lot of books, not only history but also literature and I've never had the impression that the British were about to give up if invaded. They would have made their stand and I think they would have eventually won the battle. Churchill would then have been the hero of all Europe. Sometimes being thick headead is a quality.

it was not the fault of the Luftwaffe but of their leaders (Gring) and the way they were used in the BoB, which they were not designed for.
also, the RN is no problem, Stukas sunk pretty much any enemy battleship in harbour, look at Russia & Greece for example. if you have air superiority, ships aren't a problem.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 10:59

GLCE2003,

Actually I agree with the Gallopoli thing, the plan was the Admiraltys, the landing on the wrong beaches was the Aussies fault.
Saves me getting on my hobbyhorse Smile.

Incidentally WWII, Slim was appointed by the Government of India, Wavell to be exact, while in Montys case it was done after reluctance. But then appointments of commanders is always a throw of the dice.
Well, Wavell was appointed by Churchill (though mostly it seemed to get him out of Africa). And, formalities apart, the 'Government of India' was the government in Whitehall.
(Wavell is an interesting case: a very good man, possibly great, but not a very good general.)
 His WWII decisions; Greece, depeleteing the Eight Army of almost all of its strategic reserves and ensured two years of bitter fighting, Italy from about December '43 onwards, denying Singapore reinforcements (despite there being a lot of Indian and British troops in Persia just sitting there doing nothing) before the war, and then sending them judicioulsy, when defeat was ensured and they could be added to the captured count.
I'll give you Greece was in the end a mistake. It's the suggestion that all his military decisions were disastrous I was objecting to.  I don't know what you mean about the Italian campaign. And of course he was not responsible for 'denying Singapore reinforcements ... before the war' if you mean ww2. If you mean not foreseeing the Japanese attacks of December 1941 - who did?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 11:14

Originally posted by Temujin

it was not the fault of the Luftwaffe but of their leaders (Gring) and the way they were used in the BoB, which they were not designed for.
I can't see how you can say 'it was not the fault of the Luftwaffe but of their leaders.' Their leaders were also part of the Luftwaffe. That would be like saying 'it was not the fault of the army but of the general staff'.
I don't think anyone blames the individual pilots.

also, the RN is no problem, Stukas sunk pretty much any enemy battleship in harbour, look at Russia & Greece for example. if you have air superiority, ships aren't a problem.
Then how come the RAF spent so much of the war failing to sink Scharnhorst and Gneisenau?

More widely, commenting on some other posts, the general plan is known to have been that in the event of a successful occupation of Britain by Germany, the King and government would establish themselves in Canada, and continue the war from there. I've no doubt that would have happened. And in any case there is a big difference between invasion and occupation.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 11:24

Graham sahib

GOI was subordinate to the Gov in London true, but matters concering army etc were always handled by the Viceroy's council who were often at odds with Whitehall.

By Aug/Sep 1941 it was clear to British Intel that war was imminient wit Japan, yet troops were not sent despite repeated requests. Troops began arriving in force in Janaury when the battle had already begun and the cause was doomed. Quiet a few godd units and formations were lost, including most of the Agyll and Sutherland Highlanders, the entire 8th Punjab REgt and two battlehardened Aussie brigades.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>