Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chad: send mercenaries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chad: send mercenaries
    Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 19:21
That's true, Sparten. The Fedayeen were just a paramilitary band with AK-47s and RPGs. They operated almost autonomously within the military organization of the time.
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 20:18
well considering how the Chadian rebels were pushed around the last couple of time they tried to overcome Dby's regime, I happen not to think much of their military prowesses
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 12:02
I don't think of outsourcing military as being productive. How can one imagine that an organization would ever achieve an end that would mean its dismissal?
And the problems related with the control of a mercenary force are really tough, starting from funding to evaluating the results.
Our defense ministry had announced that we might send about 120 troops in Chad. We have about 2000 available.
My opinion is that forces from the states of the EU that have no history in Africa can do a better job, especially if financial and logistic support will come frome the whole EU. The problem for us that our banner is the same as Chad's.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 04:08
Originally posted by Brian

By the way, Omar, I'm very surprised that you find a policy of non-interventionism to be more defensible than one of responding to urgent human rights abuses. Is it then better to do nothing than to do something imperfectly?

Depends on the situation.

In many cases, I think its better to leave it be if it doesn't affect your country. For example if the government in Chad is corrupt and weak it deserves to be overthrown. While this may cause pain suffering and refugees in the short term. Long term it will solve more problems than not. Continuing to prop-up a disfunctional government does more harm than good.

Most interventions serve the purpose of the interveners, ie, imperialism passed off as humanitarianism. Save the poor refugees by supporting the "legitimate" government/rebels which just-so happens to be pro-[intervener].

I am against these forms of interventions, which includes Darfur, Somalia, Soloman Islands, East Timor etc.
I feel that interventions are flavoured with imperialism and 'white mans burden' politics.

On the other hand there are cases where one side has gone too far such as Rwanda, Bosnia, or Cambodia*. In these case I support an intervention, but one with teeth that punishes the offender.

Originally posted by Cezar

My opinion is that forces from the states of the EU that have no history in Africa can do a better job, especially if financial and logistic support will come frome the whole EU.

I'm not sure how many Africans are going to distinguish between the Europeans who invaded them before (France) and the Europeans who invade them now (EU). Do you have a preference as to whether Niger or Sudan provided troops to support a rival group (say the former Communists) in Romainia?

*When Vietnam stopped Pol Pot.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 07:59
Omar, any kind of action triggers responsibilities. You can't decide if the intervention was bad or good before you do get there. And, whether we like it or not, the politicians make the decisions.
And for the "Africans", I grant them more credit than you do. I think they are quite able to make the difference between invasion and intervention.
I'm not saying that I fully support an intervention of the EU in Chad or elsewhere, I'm just saying that if that's the case, the EU could use troops that have less potential of creating tensions in the areas where they are deployed. And that I don't think using mercs is a good idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12