Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Astronomy, where to begin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Astronomy, where to begin?
    Posted: 07-Feb-2008 at 21:20
I have wanted to educate myself in the field of astronomy for a while now, but my college didn't offer any classes, so I have decided to teach myself.  That being said, what are some good introductory, and intermediate/advanced, books on astronomy?  Online sources are also appreciated.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2008 at 21:32
Patrick Moore writes the best entry level stuff into Astronomy.

He's also presented The Sky at Night on BBC TV for 51 years now. You may find some episodes on You Tube.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2008 at 15:08
The book "Astronomy Demystified" by Stan Gibilisco. Published my McGraw-Hill, 2003, is a great introductory text. It is really cheap and I actually had it as a required text in an astronomy class. 20 USD on amazon.com (just looked).

Also, if you are interested in archaeoastronomy there are tons of bibs available online. I have a few and would certainly point you in the right direction.

The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2008 at 23:38

Thanks guys.Smile  I'd definitely appreciate you sharing your insights on Archaeoastronomy Goban.  Thats another area that I would like to learn more about.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 01:13
I started with Issac Asimov books when I was a kid. His books are very good for beginners.
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 03:40
Originally posted by Justinian

Thanks guys.Smile  I'd definitely appreciate you sharing your insights on Archaeoastronomy Goban.  Thats another area that I would like to learn more about.

Sure thing. I will go through my bibliographies and pull out some for you (most of it I found surfing the net).

Right now, I am studying Kumeyaay peoples and have come across some really interesting stuff regarding their calendar (the Mat'taam) and astronomical beliefs (constellation seasonality, etc).

Edited by Goban - 09-Feb-2008 at 03:42
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 20:36
An old thread here might have your interest, Justinian. Smile
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2008 at 02:57
Great link North, once I get more time I'll be downloading that program for sure.  Looks amazing.

You guys have been an enormous help, thanks for all the helpful suggestions.Smile

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2008 at 14:27
Don't think that I forgot about you Justinian Big%20smile

Sorry about the delay...
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 08:53
Originally posted by Goban

Don't think that I forgot about you Justinian Big%20smile

Sorry about the delay...
No trouble at all, take all the time you need.Smile 

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 14:52
Probably the best bib I have is a tentative syllabus from Dr. Stephen McClusky's Man and the Cosmos class from 2004 (West Virginia University). The other's are directly from the internet but, like an idiot, I didn't copy the addresses on my hard copies to find them again.

If you want, you can PM me an email address and I will scan and send you copies. Also, American Antiquity has some good articlesas well... If you have access to JSTOR there is a lot of good material.  
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2008 at 21:32
Okay, cool.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 20:41
Astronomy rules, no question in it...

I've read works by Estonian astronomers and some school-books. Also mostly self educating.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 11:05
Try looking to see if you have any local amateur Astronomy clubs. Libraries may help here
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 03:01
Originally posted by Justinian

I have wanted to educate myself in the field of astronomy for a while now, but my college didn't offer any classes, so I have decided to teach myself.  That being said, what are some good introductory, and intermediate/advanced, books on astronomy?  Online sources are also appreciated.

for an introductory textbook, try foundations of astronomy by michael seeds, lonely planets and venus revealed by david grinspoon, universe: stars and galaxies by freedman and kaufmann.
 Post Reply Post Reply