Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solution to the Balkan crisis?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solution to the Balkan crisis?
    Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 16:40
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Originally posted by Yugoslav

I read a lot of discussion and no real potential answer to the problem... 

There is no "answer" that would not (most likely) be worse than the problem. 

pikeshot is right...there is no answer and there is no solution...there could be only temporary solutions thou,

Edited by Illirac - 20-Feb-2008 at 16:40
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 11:09
Originally posted by Yugoslav

[QUOTE=Spartakus] 

It seems that we all here agree that there is a problem. And what precisely is the problem. The question is - how to remove it? A lot of people have thought through, but none has the whole picture, only individual details.

Proposal%20by%20some%20Washington%20experts

Off course none has the whole pic. It is enough one crazy man to speak on TV about 10 min and to give free alcohol to the crowds and you will recieve a new problem.
I've heard a stupid joke that Serbia is like Nokia - every year smaller. 
I just can understand why the USA so much wants an independent Kosovo? and if anyone has  supposition please explain me....
PS Do not tell me that the USA is carried about the "ehtnical situation of the citizens of Kosovo"
Everybody listen only this which understands.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 12:34
USA worries about high inflation rate in USA. Disaster can be postponed with every new war. Second thing USA is worried about is the increasing geopolitical role of EU. Destabilization of Balkans is obviously beneficial for US. What I do not understand is what are EU benefits from creation of this puppet drug-dealing criminal pseudo state.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 13:27
and destabilizating Serbia they would increase their GDP...hardly. Kosovo is not suitable even as weapon market and  new big war will totaly crumble American economy. Look the second thing I can agree. But I do not think that the Europeans leaders are so stupid...or in England and France think this "the war" is pretty away from their borders???
But after all Anton you know that before 50-0 years Bulgaria was the black sheep for them only because that would increase Russian influance in the region, may be now is the same...the old song in a new variant.
So what is next Voivodina? Thumbs%20Down
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 22:39
There are more sophisticated economical laws that are applied here rather than simple selling weapon to a poor state.  I am not sure I understand them myself. One of the things is that any war supports military-industry which in turn push to develop other sectors of economics. Then ruined country needs to be repaired which winning side does on the expenses of the lost side. And finally, for some reason I am not sure why, those things allow to keep the inflation in US constant while be increased in countries under war. Something similar as in communicating bowl -- if pressure in one is higher than in another then if they are communicating pressure will be equalized. But how it works in economics I really don't understand. Maybe somebody can explain it better?

I doubt it will be Voevodina.  

Edited by Anton - 23-Feb-2008 at 22:47
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 08:57
Principle yes. I graduated economy...
But still think that Kosovo is too small...look Iraq is something suitable, but Kosovo with population about 1-2 million and GDP lower that annual earning of Microsoft....
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 15:44
Well, then you must must know better :)
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2008 at 12:02
Within a EU system Kosovo is viable enough, it just needs assistance for a while. Slovenia is doing fine though it was already developed before independence.

the BBC has a map for the Balkans under a report titled "Could Balkan break-up continue?"

more like, "How many other ways can we carve up the Balkans"

Edited by Leonidas - 25-Feb-2008 at 12:05
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 06:31
Obviously a lot but if Serbia is carved up any further it would only provoke Russian fears more of a US incursion in its territory of influence. 
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 10:50
Are there serbian districts in Croatia?
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 15:44
Originally posted by Anton

I don't think so...at least not in my city
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 19:04
Originally posted by Illirac

I don't think so...at least not in my city

Ethnic groups:
Definition Field%20Listing
Croat 89.6%, Serb 4.5%, other 5.9% (including Bosniak, Hungarian, Slovene, Czech, and Roma) (2001 census)

Administrative divisions:
Definition Field%20Listing
20 counties (zupanije, zupanija - singular) and 1 city* (grad - singular); Bjelovarsko-Bilogorska Zupanija, Brodsko-Posavska Zupanija, Dubrovacko-Neretvanska Zupanija, Istarska Zupanija, Karlovacka Zupanija, Koprivnicko-Krizevacka Zupanija, Krapinsko-Zagorska Zupanija, Licko-Senjska Zupanija, Medimurska Zupanija, Osjecko-Baranjska Zupanija, Pozesko-Slavonska Zupanija, Primorsko-Goranska Zupanija, Sibensko-Kninska Zupanija, Sisacko-Moslavacka Zupanija, Splitsko-Dalmatinska Zupanija, Varazdinska Zupanija, Viroviticko-Podravska Zupanija, Vukovarsko-Srijemska Zupanija, Zadarska Zupanija, Zagreb*, Zagrebacka Zupanija
CIA World Fact book

No, the Krajina region is fully immersed within the state. It was in the 90s as part of an independence proposal a autonomous region which had its own local government and administration. Following the war and the failed attempt to carve out an independent Serbian entity within Croatia those districts became part of Croatia's zupanja districts as shown above.

There is a small Serbian population that is in the thousands, from the earlier in the 250 000 more or less. The Serbs who have lived there can return and the ones that stayed still live in their former districts. Just most of the young people have neither returned nor wish to stay due to a lack of jobs etc.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 06:54

There are more sophisticated economical laws that are applied here rather than simple selling weapon to a poor state.  I am not sure I understand them myself. One of the things is that any war supports military-industry which in turn push to develop other sectors of economics. Then ruined country needs to be repaired which winning side does on the expenses of the lost side. And finally, for some reason I am not sure why, those things allow to keep the inflation in US constant while be increased in countries under war. Something similar as in communicating bowl -- if pressure in one is higher than in another then if they are communicating pressure will be equalized. But how it works in economics I really don't understand. Maybe somebody can explain it better?

The US government is doing nothing to fight the inflation but instead it has for many, many years done the exact opposite. Like I said before Kosovo is just a strategic point US wants to US in order to encircle a resurgent Russia - nothing to do with weapons or anything else of the sort. 

As for any reconstruction efforts they are used to give even more taxpayer money to corporations. The Iraq reconstruction "scam" is a perfect example but I'm sure in many other countries where US has bases around the world, smaller scale profiteering operations were conducted.

Clearly this administration is playing a very dangerous game for both people abroad and within - all just to favor an elite few at the top of the corporate hierarchies.

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2008 at 20:55
What does anybody think about the idea that in 1991 SFRY turned into a "Confederation of Yugoslavia"?

Was that a possible solution? I know that nationalists on all sides prevented this, but wasn't this perhaps a good solution? A new Constitution brought in 1991, which defined the organization: II Domes, one directly elected by citizens of the State and another nominated by Republics, each an equal number.

The state would be democratic, with OSCE watchers regularly watching through elections (which would occur every 5 years). The Confederation would be put under protection and assistance from the European Community. The Head of Government would be changed every year to come from one of the six constituancies. The Head of State would be a Collective Presidency from members from its 6 Member States, with one Presiding changing every year called "The President". All members would've had the power of Veto, the Members of the Presidency would be the actual Presidents of each Republic elected through direct votes.

Autonomy of Provinces diminished and autonomy & self-government of Republics increased in the form of health, education & other similar fields, but their inner-connection increased (industry) for preventing isolation(ist) movements that followed the last autonomist reforms.

After 3 years, all of the 6 Republics would gain the Right to Self-determination and on referendums its citizens would based on democratic rights decide whether to stay and continue reform of Yugoslavia or declare independence. The Constitutions of Vojvodina and Kosovo replaced in favor of "Basic Laws". Special Rights of Minorities drafts next to the (Con)federal Constitution and all individual Republic's Constitutions.

The composition of the Government of Yugoslavia had to be at least partially based on equality, with a number of Ministers corresponding the percentages of that Republic's share in the total population. At least one Minister had to be from Vojvodina and at least one from Kosovo.

What does anyone think about this and does he/she have to add anything perhaps?
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2008 at 21:05
What does anybody think about the idea that in 1991 SFRY turned into a "Confederation of Yugoslavia"?

I for one say "nay". I support the self-determination of peoples and individual, independent nation states and am firmly against any sort of unions.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2008 at 21:31
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

I for one say "nay". I support the self-determination of peoples and individual, independent nation states and am firmly against any sort of unions.

According to political representation at the 1991 Hague Peace Conference and professional polls organized by the international community, over 51% of the Yugoslavians supported maintaining Yugoslavia.

Does this mean you're against Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Swiss Confederacy, and would support braking the two states?

Edited by Yugoslav - 03-Mar-2008 at 21:32
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 03:09
Does this mean you're against Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Swiss Confederacy, and would support braking the two states?

I wouldnt compare the Swiss. They have been together in the region for so long that they have basically formed a unique identity of their own that seems goes well beyond ethnicity. This has been building up for hundreds of years, not over a few decades (as Yugoslavia was built on).

And yes, I am against Bosnia & Herzegovina and feel that if the respective people truly wish to break off and attach themselves to their respective nations, they should. No ethnicity should be forced to (granted that they have a significant centralized majority) live in a nation they do not identify with.

According to political representation at the 1991 Hague Peace Conference and professional polls organized by the international community, over 51% of the Yugoslavians supported maintaining Yugoslavia.

What about the % of the population in areas like Croatia and Slovenia? Was it majority there?

Edited by Theodore Felix - 04-Mar-2008 at 03:18
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 10:18
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

And yes, I am against Bosnia & Herzegovina and feel that if the respective people truly wish to break off and attach themselves to their respective nations, they should. No ethnicity should be forced to (granted that they have a significant centralized majority) live in a nation they do not identify with.

If you are from USA indeed, do you support Republic of Lakotah?

Edited by Anton - 04-Mar-2008 at 10:19
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 13:46

You mean Counties with Serb majority? No, all 21 Counties have ethnic Croat majority.

Originally posted by Leonidas

Within a EU system Kosovo is viable enough, it just needs assistance for a while. Slovenia is doing fine though it was already developed before independence.

the BBC has a map for the Balkans under a report titled "Could Balkan break-up continue?"

more like, "How many other ways can we carve up the Balkans"

I think BBC doesn't know much about Vojvodina and Sandzak? Especially due to the fact that it missed 10% of Vojvodina, showing it as if it's part of Serbia proper.

That's just because of the Western concept of nationality. It still is practically identical to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Does this mean that you support that new European party which stands for all secessions, self-determination and independence anywhere on the European continent? ;)

P.S. What about creations of new peoples (previously a part of another) then? Would they also have that right?

Edited by Yugoslav - 04-Mar-2008 at 13:53
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 16:25
If you are from USA indeed, do you support Republic of Lakotah?

I firmly believe that there is not enough support from within the territory itself for such a move. I mean really, how serious does this look....

But anyway, I may be wrong and dont know enough about the situation to comment. I only want to speak on the particular situation as it is in the Balkans and dont want to apply them completely universally since my knowledge dwindles significantly as it further distances from that region.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 04-Mar-2008 at 16:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>