Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World Junior Hockey Championship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Junior Hockey Championship
    Posted: 05-Jan-2008 at 23:54
Canada took the gold medal for the 4th time in a row at the World Junior Hockey Championship.  Congrats!  Congrats also to the Swedes who played a great game, tieing it up before the end of 'regular' time and forcing the game into 'overtime'.

Edited by deadkenny - 05-Jan-2008 at 23:55
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2008 at 22:15
I wish they'd show the games state side. I really thought the US was going to go all the way this year, but they didn't even medal! O well, there's always next time.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 03:03
Yes, must be very disappointing for the US fans.  The US team looked like the real 'powerhouse' this year, going undefeated in the round-robin.  Unfortunately the medal round didn't go so well. 
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 11:55
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I wish they'd show the games state side. I really thought the US was going to go all the way this year, but they didn't even medal! O well, there's always next time.
Not to bring up an old topic, but the playoff rounds were shown in the US. NHL Center Ice picked up TSN's feed.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 17:15
Yeah I heard, but I mean it should be on a Sports network that doesn't cater to one sport only and should be in basic cable, like ESPN or Versus. It's about our nation's players, we should rally around that!
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 23:43

Yeah I heard, but I mean it should be on a Sports network that doesn't cater to one sport only and should be in basic cable, like ESPN or Versus. It's about our nation's players, we should rally around that!

Ah, then absolutely.

Who knows, I hope with the success of the USNDP and with youth hockey being played in the US more, having that tournament on ESPN(2)/VS will have more of a market

I have thought that it might be better to advertise it in the States as the World Collegiate Hockey Championships since the term Collegiate would get more interest than the word Junior. Any thoughts on this?

Finally, here was an editorial on the respective "casual" sports fan on either side of the boarder to the USA-CANADA Semi-Final

http://www.dolighan.com/image-view.php?image=sportsjan408c.jpg&PHPSESSID=af5e8543ee25ffb49d931c2b9254fd42
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 11:37

Well, let's talk about the 2009 Tournament now....

Well, tell me you are catching some of the games this year on the NHL Network....even after Slovakians upset the Americans in the Quarter-Finals.

Slovak's cinderella run ends against the Swedes in the Semi-Finals, and the Canadians outlasted the Russians in another epic.

Oh, Happy New Year.

Edited by Jazz - 04-Jan-2009 at 11:45
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 15:36
I am not expecting any surprising results; Canada will win the gold, just like last year and three years before that. It's already becoming a Canadian monopoly.  
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 15:37
I love it! I watched the Swedes and Slovaks duke it out, unfortunately I missed the Canada/Russia game.Ouch My friend is in the hospital getting ready to have a baby. Smile
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 16:12
Good to see you back Jazz! Yeah, I was extremly disappointed when I saw that the US lost to the Slovaks! The only game I saw though was the US playing Germany, and I caught that late in the third. I don't get the NHL network, so I missed out on alot.

But I was following some of the players and man is Tavares amazing! Like Crosby, he's also called the "Next One". Unlike Crosby, he's already beat out one of Gretzky's records in Juniors and is the only player so far to get in the Juniors at 14 through the "Exceptional Player" rule, pretty much made for him.
Seeing a few highlights of him from this tournament makes me believe he does have the potential of reaching Gretzky, it's just a matter of will he make it to that.
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2009 at 01:42
Gold Medal Game is on, 2-0 Canada leads Sweden in the 2nd period.

Canada has one loss in the past 4 years at this event....to Sweden.

http://atdhe.net/live-tv-2036.html (English TSN)
sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/69319 (VLC needed)
http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/share...ex.jsp?d=90300 (swedish great quality)
http://www.justin.tv/rambo_es
http://www.justin.tv/theprjt

Edited by Jazz - 06-Jan-2009 at 01:43
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2009 at 09:18
[youtube]BYTURNaRRpA[/youtube] <--- No Youtube plug-in??

TSN's Top-10 plays of the tournament.

My Top-3 in this list are #4, #3 and of course #1.

#4 should be the goal of the tournament!  Have a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTURNaRRpA
 Post Reply Post Reply