Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient History Books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient History Books
    Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 01:13

I figured we could write down our thoughts or comments on books we have read as a reference/recommendation thread.  I'll add books as I read them, to get the ball rolling...

Ancient Rome; by Robert Payne, ~278 pages.  This is a short introduction to Rome that was originally published by ibooks and has a group of computer generated images of what Rome is thought to have looked like as well.  Its been several years since I read it but I thought it was an interesting intro to some of the great achievements of Rome and worth reading.

Ancient Greece; by William Harlan Hale, ~ 249 pages.  Also originally published by ibooks, (my copy of this title and the aforementioned Rome one are by Horizon) also has computer generated images and based around the architectural achievements of the greeks.  It was a good review for me and worth reading.

Babylon; by Joan Oates, ~ 200 pages.  Despite its title this book covers ancient mesopotamia from the beginnings of civilization down to the hellenistic era and the end of babylon, the final chapter providing a review of mesopotamian achievements.  I greatly enjoyed this book because it was my first true introduction to some periods in history I knew very little about; the era of Sargon up to the true rise of Babylon.  When one considers its short length, it is definitely worth reading as a beginning to the world of ancient mesopotamia. 

Alexander the Great; by Lewis V. Cummings, ~ 453 pages.  Okay, first off I'll admit this is one of my favorite books.  It first came out over 60 years ago, and its more of a technical read than some other biographies, but it is overflowing with information on the great Alexander and his life.  It is well worth the time taken to read it, couldn't recommend it more highly.

Great Cities of the Ancient World; by L. Sprague de Camp, ~ 468 pages.  Thebes, Jerusalem, Nineveh, Tyre, Babylon, Memphis, Athens, Syracuse, Carthage, Alexandria, Anuradhapura, Rome, Pataliputra, and of course Constantinople are the cities covered in this book besides an opening chapter on cities and a short final conclusion.   I enjoyed this book because it sparks the imagination, opening ones eyes to the achievements of civilizations long past.  The writing style helps add to the joy of this book.  I've always been enamored with ancient cities, but I still think people would enjoy reading this book.

Sick Caesars: Madness and Malady in Imperial Rome; by Michael Grant, ~ 147 pages.  Basically, this book is about the illnesses of some of the roman emperors.  The last few are quite short though, there is a picture of each emperor and some maps at the back of the book.  Interesting, though its quite short. 

Greek Mythology for Everyone: Legends of the Gods and Heroes; by Donald Richardson, ~ 306 pages.  I recieved this as a gift and was not terribly thrilled at first, I already had a book on greek mythology.  However, I was pleasantly suprised.  It covers many of the well known myths and legends of the ancient greeks in a simple, straightforward, ordered format that really is easy and fun to read, which helped me a lot in fitting all the myths into some kind of proper simplified order versus the utter chaos that was how I understood most of these myths.  Perfect book for those mythology neophytes out there.

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World; by Peter Clayton and Martin Price, ~167 pages.  I was already well aquainted with the 7 wonders when I recieved this book as gift.  It gives a good review of the 7 wonders with some of the more famous pictures depicting one or the other.  For its length an excellent introduction. 

The Life and Times of Herod The Great; by Stewart Perowne, ~ 180 pages.  I have very limited knowledge of the bible, so I was not real familiar with the image of the evil herod.  This book takes an objective perspective of herod, (again not really familiar with the other view so hard to judge) basing him on the times he lived in.  I found it quite fascinating and detailed.  Also has some pictures of various monuments/sites that are discussed in the book.  Its short and shouldn't take long to read, an excellent book in my eyes.  

The Extraordinary Voyage of Pytheas the Greek; by Barry Cunliffe, ~ 178 pages when including a recommended reading portion.  The story is captivating to say the least; a greek by the name of Pytheas journey's past the straits of gibralter, or across the south of france, ends up in Britain and possibly Iceland(!) in the era just before the exploits of Alexander the Great.  This book is detailed, mentions what Pytheas was likely to have experienced/seen and explores the various theories on pytheas' exact route as well as the authors opinion, an excellent book certainly worth reading. 

Life in the Ancient Near East: 3100 - 332 b.c.e.; by Daniel Snell, ~ 145 pages.  Explores what life in the ancient near east was likely to have been like, some interesting theories on some major questions from the period.  Obviously quite short, would easily double if the enormous appendicies, notes and bibliography were included. 

Londinium: London in the Roman Empire; by John Morris, ~ 350 pages.  Published posthumously, divided into three parts; The Making of London, Roman London, The Survival of London.  Archaeology is a large component of the book, holds a lot of information and well written.

Following Hadrian: A Second-Century Journey through the Roman Empire; by Elizabeth Speller, ~ 300 pages.  A biography of the roman emperor Hadrian based on his extensive travels.  An intriguing book.

* These are only books I own, I will/would have to head to the library to comment on the more expensive volumes I simply borrowed.

Edited by Justinian - 03-Jan-2008 at 02:48
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 02:13

By the waters of Babylon James Wellard

Ancient Iraq Georges Roux

The Origins of civilization: The Ancient Near east -  Annie Caubet and Patrick Pouyssegur

Ancient Israel at war Brad E Kelle (What Im reading now!)

The Hittites O.R. Gurney

Archaic Egypt W.B. Emery

Persian Fire Tom Holland

The Kingdom of the Ptolemies J. P. Mahaffy

Alexanders empire J.P. Mahaffy and A. Gillman

A history of Greece N.G.L Hammond

The Glory that was Macedon N.G.L Hammond

A history of the Roman world 753 143 BC H.H. Scullard

From the Gracchi to Nero H.H. Scullard

The Roman revolution Ronald Syme

From Pericles to Philip T.R. Glover

The Ancient World T.R. Glover

The Greeks H.D.F Kitto

Rome M.Rostovtzeff

Politics and warfare under the successors A. Bosworth

The oxford history of Ancient Egypt

The oxford history of the Roman world

The Cambridge companion to the Hellenistic world

The Cambridge companion to the Roman Republic

The decline and fall of the Roman empire E. Gibbon (the D.M Low edition)

The Emergence of Greek Democracy W.G. Forrest

Livy-his historical aims and methods P.G. Walsh

Roman civilization sourcebook I: the republic Naphtali Lewis and Meyer Reinhold

Roman civilization II: the empire Naphtali Lewis and Meyer Reinhold

Julius Caesar J.F.C Fuller

Some of THE BEST books to read on ancient history in my (and many other people's) opinion. They have pretty much taught me the core of my knowledge about this, my favourite area of history and subject.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 02:29
^^ Those look like some fantastic titles Aster, I'll have to check how many of those are available at the library.

Your list reminded me of, A Companion to the Hellenistic World; edited by Andrew Erskine, ~515 pages.  That was a quality book.

kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 02:36
The Oxford Classical Dictionary - This is probably one of the best reference books on the Greeks and Romans.  But it's VERY expensive and weighty.  So i would not recommend this book for everyone.

The Complete Roman Army - By Adrian Goldsworthy is one of the best books i've read on the topic, and is also a great introduction.  has plenty of useful illustrations and diagrams. Goldsworthy is a man in command of his subject. 

The Complete World of Greek Mythology - by Richard Buxton covers all the basics and than some. 

The Last Generation of the Roman Republic - by Erich Greun is a weighty response to Syme's book cited above by Aster.

The Beginnings of Rome - by Tim Cornell.  A complete and well written (yet dry) look at early Rome.  Worth the read if your into the Classics's

Hand Book to Life in Ancient Rome - by the Adkins brothers is the perfect reference book to Rome for a very reasonable price.  Covers everything from daily life, religion, literature and so on. 

Ancient Greece - by Thomas R. Martin is a great introduction into it's namesake.  From Greece during the prehistoric times to the Successor states.  I'll be reviewing the book for the mag sometime soon. 

Punic Wars - By Adrian Goldsworthy is one of the best on the topic. 

The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization by Bryan Ward-Perkins is one of the best books i've read on the topic.  Weighs heavily on archaeological evidence.  For more information, see my review of it on the main website. 

The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History of Rome and the Barbarians - is a good (long) read, but covers its subject well.  I do not recommend this over Perkins book however. 

The End of the Bronze Age - By Robert Drews.  Covers a time that is not written on very often. 

Kilroy was here.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 02:41
Oh yes - I've got to add Carcopino's book "Daily Life in Ancient Rome". That is EXCELLENT and it has a curious way of sticking to ones' memory extremely intensely yet easy.

As for your statement of the Erich Greun "last generation of the Roman republic", it's great to have two clashing and nearly contempary secondary sources. This is precisely why I'm on the hunt for more N.G.L Hammond to clash with the H.H. Scullards that I'm reading but the only things that I can find from N.G.L Hammond on Roman imperialism are in the Journal of Roman studies that obviously is quite hard to find and obscure.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2008 at 01:10
I did some rumaging and found some more:

The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire: From the First Century A.D. to the Third; by Edward Luttwak, ~ 200 pages with Appendix.  This is another short one (suprise, suprise) but an excellent one.  This book covers what its title states: the strategy of the roman empire from augustus to Diocletian.  Broken down into three phases:  Julio-Claudians, Flavians to Severi, and Defence in Depth/crisis of the third century.  The J.C. system is one predicated on client states with concentrated roman armies, the flavian/severi system one on scientific frontiers/preclusive defence (attack in enemy territory) and the third century crisis is one is defence in depth.  The author explores the basic concepts of grand strategy and discusses the advantages and disadvantages of each of the three systems used by the roman empire.  Its amazing the book is so short, considering the amount of quality content.  Dare I say a must read.

Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World: 3000 BC ~ AD 500; Equipment, Combat Skills and Tactics; Greenhill books; 5 different contributing authors, ~ 250 pages.  Some people might recognize the book as one in a series, (the others based on the middle ages and early modern world) it is by nature a summary book that covers a lot of things lightly, if it went into intimate detail on everything it would be too long. (what I'd prefer, of course, but I digress...)  That being said it is an interesting book that discuss how the ancients fought, written in a simple to follow format.

Warfare in the Classical World; by John Warry, ~ 294 pages.  (some of these books I read several years ago, so my memory may be a bit hazy)  This book covers the warfare of the ancient greeks starting with the mycenaean world up through the romans and ending with the emergence of the barbarians.  It discusses the dominance of infantry; phalanx formations and later its successor the legion and ends with impact of barbarian cavalry.  A quality introduction book to classical warfare and how it was waged.

The Generalship of Alexander the Great; by J.F.C. Fuller, ~ 314 pages.  One reads Cummings book to learn about Alexander and his life, one reads Fuller's book to understand the military genius of Alexander the Great.  This book is a personal favorite because it covers all Alexanders great victories; the book is divided into two sections, the first covering Alexanders engagements, "the record", part I.  Then part II, "the analysis" where Fuller analyzes Alexanders battles/campaigns and goes into detail just why Alexander deserves the moniker, "the Great".  Cannot recommend this book enough for Alexander the Great enthusiasts out there.  (or doubtersWink)

Hannibal; by Ernle Bradford, ~ 213 pages.  A book in the Wordsworth Military Library series, this short, to the point biography on the brilliant, carthaginian general is perfect as a review of Hannibal or introduction.  His campaigns and battles are covered, his background, personality and his will.  (the motivation behind his actions to a certain extent)

Who killed Homer?  The Demise of Classical Education and the Recovery of Greek Wisdom; by Victor Davis Hanson and John Heath, ~ 309 pages.  (could not really find another good spot for this book)  This book seems to be somewhat controversial, though after reading it I must say that I agree with the authors.  Their belief is that classical education (the humanities, greek and latin) have been slowly corrupted from within and that the academic circles are preventing any kind of recovery.  This is an interesting book that I would recommend to anyone that has any questions about the state of the humanities today in the US and what can be done to reserve its decline.

Edited by Justinian - 06-Jan-2008 at 07:43

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2008 at 08:39
I read these two books

A History of Rome by M. Carey, this was his name, The best comprehensive work on Rome I read yet.

The Army of the Caesars, I don't remember the author because I borrowed it from the library but it is an excellent source on the Roman army in the time of the Caesars.

However, I always try to read primary sources as much as I can and Livy is my main source for Roman rebublican history.

Al-Jassas
 Post Reply Post Reply