Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vojvodina Slavania/Hungary/Serbia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vojvodina Slavania/Hungary/Serbia
    Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 20:48
Tar, the one with ALL the Romanized population going South of Danube is realy Lord of the Rings.

And to be on topic, the part of population that has fleed South of Danube was settled in the area of today Vojvodina, Timoc valley (what you call North Moesia, actualy Superior Moesia and a part of Pannonia, which were named Dacia Ripensis and Dacia Mediteranea for that reason) and the region between them. So, you have also to send or make vanish in some way the Romanized population from here to can say that Timocans were Slavs in some epoch.

The Carps where the Dacians in Moldavia, this is how they were called in 2-4th century. Their material culture is well known, there have been studied ~140 Carpic villages and some tens necropolises (the biggest Dacian necropolises from all epochs are Carpian). Yes, they have been observed in Transylvania after the abandonment of province (as well as before too) but the material culture of Transilvania in 4-5th century is Roman.

Bistrita was called Repedea (that in Romanian means "the fast one", like Bistrita means in Slavs), this is how it appears in a 13th century document.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 01:00
Originally posted by Menumorut

Bistrita was called Repedea (that in Romanian means "the fast one", like Bistrita means in Slavs), this is how it appears in a 13th century document.

Menumorut, Tar,

I noticed you both are are talking of Bistrita.

Well, I know Bistrica, a quater in the city of Novi Sad recieved it's name from Pistrensis Villa, an old Roman resort town were the Sarmatians almost captured the Empress in the late 300's. I believe, the naming of these towns was do to the wheat processing mills. A Pistre is some sort of ancient milling device. Possibly Bistrita was similarly corrupted.

Also, Menumorut, what 13th century document are you referencing? This might contain some of the information I'm looking for. The oldest document that I can locate is a map from 1526, I have copy, but I need to go back a little earlier than this.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 01:30
Vibo, we were talking about Bistrita river in Transylvania. Bistrita is a common name for rivers in Slavic languages.

I have read (years ago, not remembering where) about a Hungarian document naming the river Repedea. On the superior part of the river is still called Repedea.

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 14:07
Bistrita was called Repedea (that in Romanian means "the fast one", like Bistrita means in Slavs), this is how it appears in a 13th century document
I am curios about this attestation, too, because I do not know of it.
It's worth mentioning that there are several Bistriţa rivers in the region:
- a tributary to Siret (in Moldavia)
- a tributary to Şieu (in Transylvania)
- a tributary to Tismana (in Oltenia)
- a tributary to Olt (in Oltenia)
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 15:45
I'm refering to the one tributary to Sieu and Somes and that that has given the name of Bistrita town and to the Bistrita-Nasaud county.

The fact that its upper part is still called Repedea you can find in the Wikipedia or in this image:

There was an article about toponimy of Transylvania, don't remember if on internet or in a printed publication. Also it was sayed that in Hateg land a river was called with a Romanian-origin name, which now is called with a Hungarian or Slavic name.

Edited by Menumorut - 20-Jan-2008 at 15:51

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 16:47

Yet we're not talking about modern names but about earliest attestations. And I do not know any Repedea in the 13th century. There's this interesting testimony from 17th century, belonging to Miron Costin, a Moldavian scholar, which wrote in a Polish chronicle of Wallachia and Moldavia about the mythical formation of the Moldavian principality and there he mentioned how voivode Dragoş (14th century) named a fast river Repede (from the Latin rapida, he detailed) but the river was later renamed into Bistriţa by the Ruthenians from Pokkutya brought by voivode Bogdan (Bogdan fought with Dragoş' descendents). However, this is not a reliable account, and certainly cannot be applied in the cases of the other Bistriţa rivers.

Edited by Chilbudios - 20-Jan-2008 at 16:48
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 11:54
I wrote high middle ages.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 12:01
The first Hungarian acts come from the epoch when Western Europe was in High Middle Ages, so not only the Romanian but most of Transylvanian toponyms come from that period. But without previous attestation it cannot be shown this toponymy was Slavic or Magyar at an earlier date, as such the argument of toponymy shows to be irrelevant when one attempts to minimize the Vlach presence north of Danube.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 16:00
I think many of the toponyms have been Slavized and Magyarized in 12-13th century, and not only in Transylvania but outside Carpathians too.

The Slavic and Hungarian names were corespondent of Romanian names and the Romanians have kept the Slavic and Hungarian names because it was easier for them to memorize them, because the Romanian names were formed from Romanian words and were creating confusion.

For example, the name of Vlcea county is from a Slavic word meaning wolf. In 13th century there it was the country of Farkas, a cneaz, as mentioned in Hungarian sources. Farkas means too wolf in Hungarian.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 16:17
For example, the name of Vlcea county is from a Slavic word meaning wolf.
 I doubt it. This word means even today  small valley (cf. lat. vallicula, but I guess more probably derived on the grounds of Romanian, "-cea" being a feminine diminutive suffix, see also "-cel") and this meaning makes more sense in the etymology of such a place at the Carpathian foothills.

On the other hand I guess Voicu is a nice parallel for Farcaş if you want to show how Hungarian and Slavic languages (mostly Bulgarian) influenced in parallel the Romanian names.

Edited by Chilbudios - 21-Jan-2008 at 16:19
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 18:41
Yes.:-) The whole of our problem is the sadly result of the burning/destruction of pre 1241 transylwanian documents in the hungarian "credible places" (like f.e. Vrad) and monasterys by the mongols.

Vibo, the earliest exsisting map of Hungary (and from Europe)is an islamic work, and it is not very ...light understandable. The next one is really from 1526.

Edited by Tar Szernd - 21-Jan-2008 at 18:44
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 18:45

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 08:59
Does anyone read Serbian?
I think this is in Serbian. If so could you translate this? I would very much appericate it.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 10:40
Vibo, I am no Serbian speaker but I have little knowledge of words and grammar from various Slavic languages (Russian, Bulgarian) and this seems to be about the city called Kobila/Kovilja meaning the horse-city (?).

Menumorut, though some etymologies are correct many etymologies are wrong/improbable (e.g. Argeş is rather Turkic than Dacian).

Edited by Chilbudios - 22-Jan-2008 at 10:40
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 11:30
Very rough translation of that is:

"In Latin, Serbian, Bosnian languages Kobila means Horse city. These lands are not Hungarian but Serbian and Bosnian. Sagradio is a serbian King, the senior of Belgrad, but  [something about Ahmed-Pasha of Suleiman-hana].

According to Katar chronicle, Suleiman-hana is a eminluk on the territory of Segedin Sandjak and is under ... financial control. Nijabet (court) is also situated here. (I am not sure here)-- there is also kind of city parlament of 50 members and Enicars regiment. No other authorities exist.

The city is a pentagon cituated on a river Danube. It has 200 houses (??) and 4 muslim houses -- one han, one hamam, one dervish tekija and one ...?? "

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Menumorut, though some etymologies are correct many etymologies are wrong/improbable (e.g. Argeş is rather Turkic than Dacian).

Not any such big river like Arges have lost its name from Antiquity, only the small rivers.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 12:31
Not any such big river like Arges have lost its name from Antiquity, only the small rivers.
You can believe what you want, I'm talking about the most probable linguistic hypotheses.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 11:38
Thank you very much Anton, this helps out a lot
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 15:18
Originally posted by Menumorut

South of the Voividina, there lived the Timocans, and west from their terr. between Drava and Sava was Sclavonia. In the terr. of the later Bnt there is written: "Vulga(ro)rum Fines."

What language were speaking the Timocans and there is an interpretation of what Vulgarum Fines is meaning?

The Timokians spoke ancient Slavic, they were serbianized very soon.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 17:52
I know this is not really asked, but I decided to write up everything before. Embarrassed

Ancient History of Vojvodina

The first traces of intelligent man in the territory of modern-day Vojvodina go back all the way to the Paleolithic period, when homo sapiens sapiens went down the the Pannonian plain to hunt mammoths. The first permanent settlements arise in the late Stone Age (Neolithic) between 6000 and 3500 BC, when agriculturists and cattle-herders built the very first types of housing, banding together and keeping more and more often in one place. The most known dig site for this period in the history is Gomolava in Srem.

The first breakthrough was the use of metal ca. 3800 BC. The Metal Age lasted all the way to 2000 BC and left an important mark on the Primitive Community, which abandoned the matriarchate in favor of the patriarchate. Various cultures of the Copper Age emerged, not only ornaments, but new types of tools, as well as ceramics with the deep ornament. Gomolava is also the center of this period's foundings. From 1800 to 500 BC the Bronze Age lasts and 4 tiny primitive civilizations are born and die: Mokrin, Vinkovci, Vatin and Belegis.

The first organized people that arrives to the region are the Celts, bringing with them for the first time Latin culture from Western Europe. After the defeat of their "commune-state" in the first half of the 3rd century before Christ, most of the Celts leave, leaving behind only the Skordisces, a branch of the Celtic Boia tribe, which settle on the soil between Danube and Sava. The Iron Age, beginning in the 4th century BC, lasts all the way until the first half of the 1st century AD. It brought in high quality weapons & tools, more types of jewelry and the secret of Pottery. First needs to fortify settlements appear, an example of which was Zidovar at the southeast. Trading, Merchandise and Currency appear. At the east, the Dacians, a Thracian tribe, form their own primitive kingdom (a tribal alliance). The Illyrians also appear in the region (the Pannonians).
Image:Indo%20Europeans%20Vojvodina.png

The Romans conquer the south in the second half of the 1st century AD and the east after the Dacian wars in 107 AD, however in 271 AD the Romans withdrew from Dacia after the Gothic invasion. The territory becomes a part of the Roman Province of Dacia. Romanization quickly catches most of the population and Roman culture and influence spreads further on beyond the border, in touch with the Jazyges, a nomadic Iranian tribe that populated the north, forever leaving an important mark in the region. The region between Sava and Dunav particularly flourished as the Romans built up the City of Syrmium, which gave the name to the entire region, into a mighty Metropolis. Syrmia was a very populated both civilian and military significant Roman territory; the Roman Army maintained a river fleet regularly to safeguard its frontier facing the unknown. The Romans built up towns, connected roads and other infrastructure, spread literacy and introduced vineyards into the center of the region, which quickly showed very potent for the task.

Pannonia%20map

At the end of the 3rd century and the beginning of the 4th, Syrmia became the biggest City of the Praetorian Prefectorate of Illyricum and served as one of the Empire's secondary capitals. It had all Rome had, from an aqueduct and the theater across temples to Roman Gods and a forge to an Imperial palace and a Forum Romanum. It was the birthplace of 6 Roman Emperors, all romanized Illyrians: Gaius Messius Quintus Traianus Decius (r. 249-251), Lucius Domicius Aurelianus (r. 270-275), Marcus Aurelius Probus (r. 276-282), Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maximianus Herculius (r. 285-310), Flavius Iulius Constantius II (r. 337-361) and Flavius Gratianus Augustus (r. 367-383), as well as 2 usurpers to the throne: Igenius and Regalian. Another significant Roman town was Basian.

Image:Vojvodina%20gepids%20langobards009.png
Image:Slavs%20vojvodina009.png

Overpopulation and search for new areas to hunt including other social elements initiated the Great Migration of Peoples that occurred between the 4th and 7th centuries. After 375 AD the Huns invade and push out the Goths, and led by Attila they settled between the rivers of Tisa and Danube, often raiding Roman soil. After Attila's death in 453 AD the Hun tribal alliance crumbles and the Gepids cross over Tisa, conquering Syrmia from Rome and establishing their own Barbarian kingdom. The Langobards form up an alliance with the Avars in 567 AD and destroy the Gepid civilization, and leaving to Italy to form their own Barbarian realm, the region entire falls into the hands of the Avar kaghanate. Along with the Avars and by the end of the 6th century, Slavs intense their migrations into the region.

Image:Vojvodina%20avars008.png

Of the Slavic migrants that kept arriving through to the first half of the 7th century, there were Severians, Abodrites, Branicevans, and Serbs at the north, as well as the "White Serbs" in specific, who came with the defeat of the Avar invasions of the Balkans further down southwards. Kuber, the leader who brought the Bulgars, governed Syrmia as an Avar vassal until 680 AD when he left with his people. Grand Prince Buta-ul was the last Avar fief-lord of the northern parts. In 796 Frankish King Charlemagne destroys the Avar tribal alliance and his Empire reaches all the way to this place, the name "Frushka Gora" meaning in Serbo-Croat "Frankish Hill" remains to this day for the central Vojvodinian mountain chain. Under Khan Omurtag's expansions, the Bulgars conquer the eastern part of the region. In the early 9th century, the Timocans (a local Slavic tribe in Timok river's valley) fled Bulgarian aggressive expansion and settled in Syrmia, also becoming serbianized. As the Slavic principality of Pannonia (Continental Croatia) became independent from the Frankish Empire in the first half of the 9th century, it had forged a mini-Slavic alliance with the Timocan Serbs that didn't last for long.
Image:Slavs%20Vojvodina.png
In this very mutter period after the 827 Bulgarian intervention in Slavonia, the Bulgars conquer most of the region, even though the Byzantines have managed to (re)gain just Syrmia as its Pannonian province. In 896 the Magyars arrive to the Pannonian plain and start its systematic conquest. The Bulgars and Byzantines defended the Bulgarian Dukedom of Salan at the northwest, but the Magyars gave them a decisive defeat in the beginning of the next century at the plains of Alpar, ending his vassal-Voivodship. The Bulgarian Empire was henceforth on the defensive. Soon, the eastern Bulgar Dukedom of Glad also fell to the Magyars.

Voivodship%20%28Duchy%29%20of%20Glad

Edited by Yugoslav - 01-Feb-2008 at 21:59
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>