Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Comic Books!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comic Books!
    Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 02:31
So, what's your favorite comic book hero? What comic book company is your favorite? DC?

My favorite company is Marvel because of the wide range of characters and scope of events. My favorite heroes are Thor (who would of guessed?), Nova, and Captain America.

Info on Comic book thor:
http://www.marvel.com/universe/Thor

Nova:
http://www.marvel.com/universe/Nova

Captain America
http://www.marvel.com/universe/Captain_America

Post anything you like about comics!
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 03:14
I used to read

New X-Men

one of the Spider-Man

Superman

Batman

JLA
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 03:16
Does anime count as comic series?

Join us.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 03:29
I was never really into comics growing up, but when I did read them I always was drawn toward the villains. With that said my favorite villains are:

VENOM
Red Skull
Saber Tooth
DR. Doom
and Grim Reaper
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 03:40
Groo the Wanderer by Serigo Aragones. 

VikingSome info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groo_the_Wanderer

Happy Holidays,

-kilroy
Kilroy was here.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 05:20

Well its been many many years but when I was little I used to read The Phantom whenever I got a hold of a copy but nowadays my comic reading goes as far as the ones in the newspapers and the odd web comic.

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 11:36
hmmm I'd have to say

>Joe Sacco (journalist who does semi-autobiographical comics about the middle east)
>Death Note (manga)
>Bleach (manga)
>One Piece (manga)
>Battle Royale (manga)
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 11:54
Originally posted by pekau

Does anime count as comic series?

No, because anime refers to Japanese animation, whereas manga refers to the Japanese comics (or Korean, I know you guys make this stuff too).

Unlike a lot of my friends I've never been a huge manga fan, although I have read some. I tend to prefer the animes.

As for American comics, my favourite series, as a kid at least, was Conan the Barbarian. Apart from Conan I also read innumerable other comics; Disney, Marvel (my favourite character is probably Thanos or Galactus even), the Phantom, Spawn. I've also been a big fan of the French/Belgian comics, such as Tintin, Spirou and Asterix.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 18:52
As I hail from the era before the Comics Code, [which almost destroyed the comic book industry]  most of my favs wouldn't be known commonly.   Two that might be are,  Blackhawk and Plastic Man.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 19:51
Originally posted by red clay

As I hail from the era before the Comics Code, [which almost destroyed the comic book industry]  most of my favs wouldn't be known commonly.   Two that might be are,  Blackhawk and Plastic Man.

I've heard the code was bad, but I didn't know it almost killed the industry! I have actually heard of Blackhawk and Plastic Man, but I don't know much about them.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 21:22

Comic book sales fell by 50% after 1954.  Dozens of companies closed and thousands of artists and writers were left jobless.  The industry never did recover completely.

I couldn't find a good Blackhawk but here's a decent Plastic Man-

Edited by red clay - 24-Dec-2007 at 21:26
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Ragozy View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ragozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 21:27
I remember Plastic Man and Blackhawk...my favorite was Aquaman and of course Wonder Woman! Wink
"The truest measure of a society is how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners."
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2007 at 22:49
Comic book heros?

calvin and hobbes.

...But if they have to be more typical ones, I've always liked hawkman for some reason. an archaeologist and historian with great leadership skills who can fly, heal superfast, and break walls with his bare hands.

...yes, technically those are his powers.

Also, Wolverine, Batman, Mr. terrific, Captain America, Professor X, and at one point, before he became just deus ex machina, doctor strange.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2007 at 00:00
I grew up reading tons of comics. Mexico had pretty cheap comics. And I sad to see how expensive they are now. I wouldn't be able to afford them now if I were a kid today.

There was a comic called Memin Pinguin made in the 1950s and 1960s in Mexico which is republished over and over again. It was a serial of hundreds of issues. When I went to Mexico I saw it again. The main character is drawn in a racist way. Mexicans are defensive about this, but it is pretty hard to argue about it. The stories are good, and many of them were stood against discrimination, but there are other elements in the stories that most Americans can identify as racist. Memin Pinguin

There was also another serial, quite amazing actually, called Karmatron y los transformables. It was a story inspired on Star Wars, Ultraman, Giant Super Mecha manga, and other staples of sci-fi, but with heavy, heavy elements of Eastern Religions, mainly Zen Buddhism and some elements on Hinduism, together with strong doses of dualism drawn mainly from Star Wars. Although it may sound awful, the heavy religious undertones of the action comic was its main redeeming quality, together with great story telling. Karmatron

I read Superman while I was in elementary school. This was the more anxious Superman of the 80s, where Lex Luthor is a rich tycoon CEO. It took me a while to get used to it, but eventually I read the stories for a while.

The last comic book that I read a lot was Punisher when I was in high school. Back then it was more or less shocking to have such gritty stories with an anti-hero vigilante. The stories were not really super hero stuff but closer to police mystery thrillers.

I also like Batman, but I only read them in spurts. A friend wanted me to hold his massive collection, and I got to read a lot of it. The bad guys are interesting since they went from campy to psychopathic. And the writers of Batman poured horrible events after another, making it fun to see Gotham go through an epidemic, earthquake, and a post-apocalyptic world. But one gets tired of so much mental illness after a while

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2007 at 06:50
Hey, guys, as we are in a history forum, there is only one nomination....

The Asterix series is one of the most popular French comics in the world, and familiar to people of all ages in most European countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and parts of South America, Africa and Asia particularly, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, South Africa, Kenya, Philippines, Singapore, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Malaysia. Asterix is less well known in the United States and Japan. In its early years the Disney Channel aired the British-produced English translations of the Asterix films, but so far it has enjoyed only a modest success in establishing foothold with American audiences.

Have read any of those books and can still recite  most of the dialogues.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2007 at 18:52
I have 12 issues/volumes of Asterix!!!!!!Big%20smile
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 02:23
I didn't grow up reading Asterix, but I did enjoy reading them when I was in college. I only got a few random numbers that they had, but those were a lot of fun. My wife didn't like them, though.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 05:11
Comic books rotten your mind.

That is what my Pastor told me

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 26-Dec-2007 at 05:12
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 07:10
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Comic books rotten your mind.

That is what my Pastor told me

and you obviously didn't follow his advice.....

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 14:39
My favorite was "BLACKHAWK!" sacre' bleu! And "AQUAMAN!", and "Plastic Man" or as I have been told it is really "Elastic Man!"

Edited by opuslola - 29-Dec-2009 at 14:51
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>