Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who was the kennewick man?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was the kennewick man?
    Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 19:08
Who was the Kennewick man?

Is he related to the modern tribes of Oregon and Washington states?

Was he Caucasian like many scientists believe and if so how did he arrive in the Americas?

Why is this so controversal?

Kennewick is a small city in Eastern Washington!
http://www.kennewick-man.com/
http://www.cr.nps.gov/aad/kennewick/

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 21:56
I dont think it should be the big deal its been made out to be, theres plenty of very viable theories that in addition to Asian immigration through the Bering Straight to populate there were people who durin gthe ice age moved from northern Europe along the edge of the ice or in boats, surviving on cod and seals, so a caucasian infusion is possible.  It also explains the inconsistencies with dating that soem east coast native american sites have.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 23:10
images - who was he?????   

He looks like Patrick Steward on Star Trek!!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 23:51
Picard, that what you get for messing with the space-time continiuum!
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 02:52
LOOOL so true!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 13:06
On a serious, AFAIK anthropologists say his is skull is like that of a caucasian in the techical sense (aka caucasoid), which includes many Middle eastern types, Indians (from India), some central Asians, and then some, so immediatly invoking the popularaised US-centric notion of caucasian = only Europeans can be misleading.
Unless of course the anthroplogists who studied the remains specificly narrowed it down to Europeand type Caucies.
Arrrgh!!"
SulcataIxlude View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote SulcataIxlude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 17:24
I am from Richland which is just a eight minute drive from Kennewick. There was some controversy over Kennewick man with the Umatilla tribes, due to scientists claiming he was caucasioid. And they are still having legal disputes on whether to rebury Kennewick man, or allow the scientist to keep studying the remains.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 20:42
I live in Cheney near Spokane!! I am from Walla Walla, WA. The Tri-cities are so barren and desert-like. I live the river.

Check the links above for the answer!!
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 18:21

Originally posted by eaglecap

images - who was he?????   

He looks like Patrick Steward on Star Trek!!

I think he looks like Ben Kingsley!

Edited by Mangudai
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 18:49
Good resemblence but the Kennewick man and Patrick Steward have similar noses.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 18:51
Ben Kinglsey is half Indian, but the wrong sort of Indian
Arrrgh!!"
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2011 at 17:49
Anything new on the Kennewick man?   I have not heard a thing about it for a while. I use to get emails from the Tri-city Herald.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2011 at 19:00
Recently red-haired mummies were discovered in China. It's likely some whites did head east, although not in large numbers
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2011 at 17:58
Originally posted by Nick1986

Recently red-haired mummies were discovered in China. It's likely some whites did head east, although not in large numbers

Is that the Tarim Basin Mummies? I have not kept up with that for a while.

Maybe Patrick steward went back in time-LOL !

Edited by eaglecap - 28-Sep-2011 at 18:04
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2011 at 18:07
Las I heard and it's a while ago.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2011 at 20:18

Impossible. He's always been bald
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2011 at 19:54

Impossible. He's always been bald

ds_baker View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ds_baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2012 at 23:21
Most of the controversy surrounding the Kennewick man stems from the fact the local Indian population claims that he is an ancestor. Even though carbon dating and other forms of more esoteric origin show his death occurred a couple of thousand years before their apparent haplogroup even remotely showed up. So he is currently mired in lawsuits between all parties involved. 
It is all a power grab for control of the remains. I would direct you to this Wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennewick_Man
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
-Marcus Aurelius
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2012 at 09:50
Originally posted by ds_baker

Most of the controversy surrounding the Kennewick man stems from the fact the local Indian population claims that he is an ancestor. Even though carbon dating and other forms of more esoteric origin show his death occurred a couple of thousand years before their apparent haplogroup even remotely showed up. So he is currently mired in lawsuits between all parties involved. 
It is all a power grab for control of the remains. I would direct you to this Wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennewick_Man

It gets more bizzare than this.  The remains are still sitting in storage.  The research having been done, the bones sit.  They have yet to rebury them.  The law suits have long been settled, but there they sit.-
ds_baker View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ds_baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2012 at 16:33
@ Red Clay. I was a resident of Nevada. Up near Lovelock, NV there was another body found back in the early '90's. Unlike Kennewick Man, this man was found rolled up in a handwoven blanket laying underneath a rock out crop. When hikers discovered him, they thought he was recently dead. Come to find out he had been dead almost 9,000 years. 

Pretty amazing no one had disturbed the body or animals had destroyed it. The Lovelock discovery is near an earlier discovery from the 1940's at a place called Spirit Cave. What makes the Lovelock Mummy so very unique is that his clothes and other textiles were found preserved with him. He is not just a collection bones. All primitive or early societies have what I call fingerprint technologies. One of which is the tying of knots. Oddly enough once a series of successful knots are established, rarely does that society then change to another. Weaving of material can only be done so many ways, ie looms on frames, foot looms, spinning of material into yarn for the weavers. Then there is the use of other organic matter, bone beads, porcupine spines and other embellishments. -But the tying off of those threads remain the same.

Why is this important in regards to this thread? Kennewick Man's DNA and his bone structure points to an indigenous people of Japan called the Ainu. But that is the only clues, he possess. But the Lovelock Mummy not only has Ainu DNA but his textile knots are almost direct copies of ancient Ainu Textiles found in Northern Japan. 

And yet again, the local Indian peoples-The Western Band of Shoshone and Paiute Indian nations have laid claim to him and everything has been mired in lawsuits. I believe the body currently resides at the University of Nevada Reno.

On a personal note-This does not affirm the idea of the Clovis Migratory Pattern, as the only route to the Americas. But rather what it does tell me is that Boats and Sailing technology is much older than anyone would like to talk about.

All my best! 
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
-Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>