Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who here likes Jethro tull?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crystall View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Crystall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who here likes Jethro tull?
    Posted: 15-Dec-2007 at 19:27

Jethro Tull is one of my favorite bands ever, their music is so distinct and the lyrics and sound are really unique, and in my liking.

I found the best live Thick as a Brick performance on youtube, when he performed live at Madison Square Garden in 1978.

Who here has seen them live before?

Edited by Crystall - 15-Dec-2007 at 21:17
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2007 at 19:31
I like them.  The music from Songs from the Wood is probably my most favorite by Jethro Tull.  Back in 1996 I got to see them live along with Emerson, Lake & Palmer.  They were good but I was there more to see ELP because they are my favorite band of all time. Big%20smile

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 15-Dec-2007 at 20:01
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2007 at 19:51
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I like them.  The music from Songs from Wood is probably my most favorite by Jethro Tull.  Back in 1996 I got to see them live along with Emerson, Lake & Palmer.  They were good but I was there more to see ELP because they are my favorite band of all time. Big%20smile

Hey, Emperor, EL&P were my heroes 33 years ago. I have still most of their records. But never saw them on stage.
Pictures a. a. Exhibition and Tarkus are my favourite albums.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2007 at 20:00
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

I like them.  The music from Songs from Wood is probably my most favorite by Jethro Tull.  Back in 1996 I got to see them live along with Emerson, Lake & Palmer.  They were good but I was there more to see ELP because they are my favorite band of all time. Big%20smile

Hey, Emperor, EL&P were my heroes 33 years ago. I have still most of their records. But never saw them on stage.

Cool!  I can't decide which album I like the best.  Probably a tie between the debut, Brain Salad Surgery, and Welcome Back My Friends...

I would have loved to have seen the Brain Salad Surgery World Tour back in '73/'74 when they had the quadraphonic sound system and Palmer was playing the stainless steel drumset.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2007 at 22:11
I would consider myself a fan of Jethro Tull; Aqualung and locomotive breath being my favorite songs of theirs.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Crystall View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Crystall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2007 at 19:26

I never saw him live, but I had a chance 2 years ago.. and I passed it up!!I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

I rediscovered A Passion Play and have been listening to that for awhile now... I havn't listened to it in over 4 years.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2008 at 20:16
Wow, this is pretty funny since Jethro Tull is my dad's absolute favorite band, and I quite enjoy them as well.

Now most people will say that Aqualung is their favorite and don't get me wrong it's a great song. But for me my favorite song of theirs is "Up To Me".

Also hilarious factoid, Jethro Tull won the first and only Grammy for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental. Beating out favorites Metallica at a time when Jethro Tull was most certainly not "Metal" or "Hard Rock".
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 14:54
One of my favorites - Tull. Though I missed from seeing them in their heyday I made up for it by catching five of their concerts over the years. The ability to start and stop on a dime gives them their signature sound. Plus Anderson has a way with folksy tunes as well. For me, the really good albums are everything they did from conception up to Broadsword and the Beast. 
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2008 at 16:41
Originally posted by JanusRook

Also hilarious factoid, Jethro Tull won the first and only Grammy for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental. Beating out favorites Metallica at a time when Jethro Tull was most certainly not "Metal" or "Hard Rock".

LOL

Yeah, that was hilarious!  It is also pretty sad, because it shows that the academy that awards the Grammy is absolutely out of it when it comes to the genre of Hard Rock and Metal.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 23:43
Jethro
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 02:06
Saw ELP 6 times in San Francisco over a span of about 8 years.  Great live band, especially for a trio.  Saw them from the Triology tour through the Works tour.  They just became better and better each time.

Tull was good too, but not quite the style I cared to go and see.

Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 06:46
Although I'm from a generation which went wild over Van Halen and Queensryche, I never did follow the crowd.  Jethro Tull became one of my favorite eclectic acts among the generation of musicians that I turned on to.  My favorite albums came from the period just before  Aqualung, when Ian and the band was coming out with a jazzy-folksy metal-like sound on their albums Stand Up and Benefit (1969/1970).  That man could play the flute like nobody else does!
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Scaevola View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Scaevola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2008 at 12:10
Velvet Green is such a good song, but no one has heard it before.
SPQR| Alea Iacta Est
 Post Reply Post Reply