Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Animal Versus Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Animal Versus Thread!
    Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 12:15
its says they kill or prey coyotes in this article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Lynx

but i cant find a proper source to back it up.

if the lynx is to small i would normally call in something bigger, the clouded leopard. But then it would be too unequal the other way.

Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 19:45
The Canadian lynx is (usually) smaller than the Eurasian lynx, and the Euro-lynx normally hunt much larger prey - mostly they prey on roe deer and reindeer!

And the clouded leopard is much smaller than the Eurasian lynx! So it won't help!!

Edited by Jams - 15-Jan-2008 at 19:47
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 23:12
I think the smallest cat that could beat a Wolf would be a Snow Leopard. I don't think a Cheetah could do it, they are in fact very ill-fit for any form of fighting, and don't have the main advantage of a cat - fully retractile claws. 
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 09:32
the cheetah is piss weak
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 09:39
In other words, yes. Tongue Cheetahs are built for one thing: running. 
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 06:11
Yes, and antelopes are notoriously small and inoffensive, as prey goes.

At least compared to something like an elk.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 09:28
Have you seen the footage of a mother Thompson Gazelle (smaller than an adult cheetah) turn around and attack the pursuing Cheetah? It's crazy, it keeps charging and before long the Cheetah retreats. In saying that though, Cheetahs aren't all I've made them out to be - they are known to take down prey up to 4 or 5 times their size, independently. It's just that they are at the mercy of most other Savannah predators; Lions, Hyenas, Leopards, African Hunting Dogs and even Jackals. 
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 10:56
jackals? surely not one on one
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 11:11
No not one on one, but Jackals tend to live in cohesive family groups, of 2 parents and offspring. They are very tenacious and hardy things too! 
ckukner View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 18:03
Angoran Cat would tear the wolf apart. Cats still believe they are lions or tigers or such. So they attack ferociously whereas wolfs are almost afraid of everything if they outnumber the thing.
Galatasaray Uefa Cup 2000 Winner
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 18:18
leopard is probably the most tactical animal in the cat family, the animal knows when to attack, how to attack, if to attack, hide and etc. 
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 01:09
Hippo vs Tiger?
What is the officer problem?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 03:11
Originally posted by JUliusAugustus

leopard is probably the most tactical animal in the cat family, the animal knows when to attack, how to attack, if to attack, hide and etc. 

Interesting remark Julius. I'm not so sure I agree - what does the leopard have over any other cat in the department of ambush (when, how if..etc)?

@ Darius: Hippo would have the upper hand over even a Siberian Tiger. Especially in the water.
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 00:44
Originally posted by Knights

Interesting remark Julius. I'm not so sure I agree - what does the leopard have over any other cat in the department of ambush (when, how if..etc)?

@ Darius: Hippo would have the upper hand over even a Siberian Tiger. Especially in the water.

@ Knights

it surveys the land, the Leopard is a patient cat, it uses all terrains to its fullest, take for example that it is the only big cat that can climb a tree, it uses the the tree as a means of stealth, no other big cat can use this, another reason is that, from all the animals in the African jungle, the great Leopard is the hardest to spot, a Cheetah can be sighted making chase, a Lion hunting deer and etc but the Leopard, it takes time before you can find one, it hides, not like a coward but like a tactical animal. It took me awhile to spot one, it knows that man is its greatest hunter.

another example is that during the 50's to 60's, the leopard's numbers dwindled, but now even though pouching is a given, its number have increased because of proper use of terrain, its stealth capabilities and etc. another reasons is that the Leopard, from my experience being in Africa for awhile goes to the source of water, all other animals go to the rivers, there are water stations in reserves, the Leopard goes directly to the water station, amazing I must say, I was astonished to see this, I think they showed this as well in national geographic.

The Leopard knows when to run away, Ive seen it run away from a Hyena, a single Hyena knowing that Hyena has back up coming soon, a Lion even alone would have fought the Hyena and be ensnared  into the trap. It reads things to its fullest.

@Darius

depends on terrain, the advantage, most people keep forgetting, is that when you have full knowledge of terrain, if it is home terf, victory is always almost certain.

Hippo, is probably stronger than any Tiger out there. Tiger is faster, hard to say, but Hippo wins all fights in water while in land Tiger and Hippo have a 50 50 chance depending on location.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2008 at 05:15
Originally posted by Julius Augustus

Originally posted by Knights

@ Knights

it surveys the land, the Leopard is a patient cat, it uses all terrains to its fullest, take for example that it is the only big cat that can climb a tree, it uses the the tree as a means of stealth, no other big cat can use this, another reason is that, from all the animals in the African jungle, the great Leopard is the hardest to spot, a Cheetah can be sighted making chase, a Lion hunting deer and etc but the Leopard, it takes time before you can find one, it hides, not like a coward but like a tactical animal. It took me awhile to spot one, it knows that man is its greatest hunter.

I can see where you are coming from. The Leopard is a very patient animal, but in comparison to other cats, there is little difference. Cats, being ambush/stealth predators have to be patient - it is a part of their nature. The Leopard of course is just a fine example of this. What do you mean by 'big cat'? If you are strictly referring to Pantherines, then Jaguars commonly climb trees, and Tigers and Lions are both capable of it. It is definitely true that few cats can equal the climbing skill of the leopard, let alone any other "Big Cats". No other Big Cat hunts by dropping from trees, because each hunts in a unique way. The Lion is a predominantly 'team' hunter, the Cheetah uses speed and agility, and the Tiger uses ambush on a new level combined with raw power.
Just because a Leopard hunts in a more secretive manner doesn't necessarily mean it is more tactical. If any cat is the most 'tactical' in terms of hunting, it would be the lion because of the 'team work' they use. (Note: the extent of collaborative teamwork in a lion hunt is not believed to be as cohesive as once thought). Nonetheless, they still use team tactics, and are thus one of the more successful cat hunters. Team work is a good indication of tactical hunting, and is generally more successful - take the most successful Mammalian predator for example, the African Hunting Dog.
The reason leopards do not intentionally steer clear of humans is not because they have an innate instinct that says humans are superior (though this is the case sometimes, as with other cats), but because of the inherently more secretive and nocturnal habits.

Originally posted by Julius Augustus

another example is that during the 50's to 60's, the leopard's numbers dwindled, but now even though pouching is a given, its number have increased because of proper use of terrain, its stealth capabilities and etc. another reasons is that the Leopard, from my experience being in Africa for awhile goes to the source of water, all other animals go to the rivers, there are water stations in reserves, the Leopard goes directly to the water station, amazing I must say, I was astonished to see this, I think they showed this as well in national geographic.

The Leopard knows when to run away, Ive seen it run away from a Hyena, a single Hyena knowing that Hyena has back up coming soon, a Lion even alone would have fought the Hyena and be ensnared  into the trap. It reads things to its fullest.

Leopards are undoubtedly very intelligent and adaptable creatures. This is evident by the fact that it the largest ranging cat on earth (other than domestic cats of course). Its ability to be resourceful, along with its more secretive nature, have meant it rarely comes into contact with humans. With only 20,000 or so Lions remaining in Africa, Leopards (as you said) are flourishing, estimated at over 200,000! This success if based on their adaptive and resourceful habits rather than solely their tactical adeptness. So in all honesty, I am pretty much agreeing with you that the Leopard is the most successful Big Cat, just not that it is the most 'tactical'.

That was rather long winded, but this is my passion - that's my excuse Big%20smile

Regards,

- Knights -
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2008 at 23:09
good points Knight, I should have been more specific in stating that the Leopard as an individual was most tactical, forgot about the Panther and the Jaguar, should have not concentrated in the African Jungle.

Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 00:54
here is mine, a hard one to boot

Monkey Eating Eagle versus the bald eagle
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 08:41
Interesting one.

Let's weigh up the facts:

Bald Eagle

Length - 71 to 96cm
Weight - 3 to 6.5kg
Feeding habits - typically fish, sometimes small mammals or may pirate from other birds of prey

Harpy Eagle

Length - 89 to 100cm
Weight - 4 to 9kg
Feeding habits - kills on the wing monkeys, birds and sloths

Philippine Eagle

Length - 86 to 100cm
Weight - 4.5 to 8kg
Feeding habits - hunts monkeys in a similar fashion to the Harpy

So just based on those statistics, I'd say the 'Monkey-eating' eagles would have the advantage. Other possible choices could be the Crowned and Martial Eagles.

Though if it came down to it between any of the birds I mentioned, I would give it to the Harpy. They are immensely powerful birds, with huge talons. Their sheer bulk and power would be enough to overwhelm any other eagle mentioned.

Of course, some non-monkeys eating Eagles could pose a challenge -
1) Lammergeier
2) Steller's Sea Eagle
3) Condor

These too are very large and strong birds, but don't prey upon monkeys.

Regards,

- Knights -
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 14:16
knights that is amazing, gotta give you kudos for your research.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 04:43
What about some kind of large Monitor Lizard vs. a crocodile of equal size (on land.) The croc would have significantly tougher hide, and a stronger bite. The monitor would be stronger (monitors are stronger pound for pound than crocdiles or alligators.) and faster, and would probably be smarter as well--but the croc's tough hide and bite strength would be tough to take on.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>