Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Animal Versus Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Animal Versus Thread!
    Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 01:22
There are so many dogs who can kill a cat in an instant.

In my opinion, in most cases the dogs are there to socialize (wagging their tales, trying to sniff the bottom of the cat...etc) while the cat is seriously trying to protect itself. If a (big) dog seriously went for the cat, I would say that the cat is more likely to get killed.

I knew a cat who used to terrorize the friendly neighbourhood dogs all the time, but one day a visitor brought her Doberman to the area. The dog seriously went for the cat. The cat ran away and was saved by a passing car that just happened to pass between the running cat and the chasing dog. Otherwise it would have been ripped in to pieces by the dog.

I also knew a person who had an Akita dog. I walked the massive dog one day. It was really hard just to stop her from leaping at other animals such as cats and other dogs. Every time she was going to attack, I could actually see it coming because the gigantic body would suddenly become motionless and very low on the ground. The next moment she would leap from the ground with such a powerful force that l had to tie and wrap her leash around my upper arms so many times to make her jump as small as possible, and had to kneel on the ground with my whole weight as well just to stop myself from being sent flying after her. If I had let her, she would have killed a cat in an instant. These dogs are known for killing bears, as well as for being one of the most ancient dog breeds in the world.

Regarding the battles between animals, how about the sloth vs slow loris vs cameleon vs tortoise? Which one of them do you think can run a hundred meters faster?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 07:46
Slow Loris definitely. Lorises are very comical little creatures indeed. Though the Loris may tend to move around slowly for stealth, it has the potential to move at faster speeds. This is the case for the Chameleon too - I used to chase them as a child in Mauritius. In regards to the Sloth and Tortoise; even if they want to, they can't move very fast.

So my bet is on the Loris.
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2008 at 01:54
Here are some more interesting animal battle links...

Jaguar vs Anaconda

Hippopotamus vs Shark

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 11-Jan-2008 at 14:14
What is the officer problem?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2008 at 01:00
I have trouble believing that Hippo/shark one.  The hippo is going to get attacked by a shark and for over a minute its going to yell in the air and not MOVE? 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2008 at 01:34
I was thinking that. I have voiced my opposition to Animal Face-Off (the programme), but it's fun to watch. In the first one, snakes, if harmed in any way when trying to kill their prey, will retreat. Though this Anaconda seems to be the exception...Big%20smile

I think a Jaguar could defeat an Anaconda.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 23:47
I checked out the "Akita" and it doesnt seem to be a very big dog.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 03:03
Originally posted by Knights

I was thinking that. I have voiced my opposition to Animal Face-Off (the programme), but it's fun to watch. In the first one, snakes, if harmed in any way when trying to kill their prey, will retreat. Though this Anaconda seems to be the exception...Big%20smile

I think a Jaguar could defeat an Anaconda.

Depends, as it does with many fights, who strikes first. Jaguars sometimes kill them, I believe, but normally it's similar to how occasionally a jaguar will kill a cayman. It's probably one of the smaller ones, and it's not a regular thing.

Anaconda: Incredible amounts of muscle, enough to literally CRUSH prey rather than just suffocating it. Thick, tough. hard to really hurt-anacondas are like the bears of the snake world. It can take a LOT to seriously injure them. Reasonably-sized teeth. Excellent ambush predator.

Jaguar:Good amount of muscle. VERY strong bite-can actually pierce prey's skulls to kill them (instead of suffocating them with it's jaws), which is sort of a rarity. Five of it's six ends are pointy, whereas an anaconda has only one sharp end. Excellent ambush predator, although less effective in water.

I would say that in a full-on fight, the anaconda would win. It might get mortally injured, but it's unlikely it would be killed outright, and if the injury wasn't one of those terrible wounds (like one to the heart, vital innards, etc.) then it probably would survive. From what I've heard, a lot of reptiles heal fairly fast and don't get infections easily. I KNOW crocodiles are like that, at least.

Edited by TheARRGH - 11-Jan-2008 at 03:03
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 03:11
True. I have bias for felines Wink

You know what would be interesting: Giant Anteater vs. Jaguar.

Jaguars have been found dead in the grasp of Giant Anteaters on the Patagonian Pampas before...scary. GA's have incredible strong forelimbs and shoulders, as well as HUGE claws, intended for use in destroying and storming termite mounds. However, this purpose could easily revert to defending oneself from a Jaguar!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 06:08
Regarding the Lion vs. Tiger issue - here's a site I came across. It's a very interesting read, and he makes a sound conclusion in the end in my opinion.

http://indrajit.wordpress.com/category/lion-vs-tiger/
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 08:09
Originally posted by Knights

Regarding the Lion vs. Tiger issue - here's a site I came across. It's a very interesting read, and he makes a sound conclusion in the end in my opinion.

http://indrajit.wordpress.com/category/lion-vs-tiger/

That is the most awesome and in-depth analysis of this important issue I've ever seen.

New matchup: Harpy Eagle vs. Flamingo
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 08:11
Harpy Eagle all the way.

What about a Harpy Eagle vs. Steller's Sea Eagle?

(That Lion vs. Tiger thing was excellent wasn't it?)
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 08:52
my opinion, jaguar should have the power advantage over the leopard. It does have a  stronger bite. But there is much variation in both species weight...

... I always thought cats, pound for pound, are more lethal than dogs.

So a interesting match up, maybe a Eurasian lynx vs wolf?

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 09:16
Grey Wolf: 60kg (max), hunts prey up to 10 times its own size (but in packs), larger and stronger than Lynx

Eurasian Lynx: 40kg (max), hunts ungulates up to 4 times its own size, agile, faster than a Wolf

If the need and opportunity arose, the Lynx could flee the situation. However, if locked in combat, I think the Wolf would win. They have both size and strength on their side. While the Lynx's retractile claws could do some serious damage, the crushing jaws of a Wolf could demobilise a Lynx in an instant.

Wow. I actually went with a dog over a cat! Shocked Oh well, African Hunting Dogs do happen to be one of my favourite animals.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 09:26
hey knights, long time ago i read that gelada and baboons males sometimes fight it out, now i cant find nothing on the web. you heard of this?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 09:40
Baboons, especially the Olive Baboon can be very aggressive both to members of their troop or anything that threatens their troop. Male Baboons definitely have violent bouts over their harem of females. You'd know that Baboons have huge canines, and strong shoulders, so their battles can get very nasty.

Geladas are a similar case. For those who do not know what Geladas are, they are ground dwelling, grazing (meaning they eat grass, rather than browsers which eat leaves) primates similar to Baboons. They inhabit the Ethiopian Highlands, and can reach 20kg. Geladas live in monumental groups, 100's strong, and just plow their way across meadows. These huge groups aren't completely cohesive though, and are rather made up of smaller harems, headed by a male. Now, lone males are always on the look out for a harem of females, and group together to form bachelor troops. They basically go about trying to usurp harems. At first, the harem males and the bachelors size each other up, accompanied by intense 'lip-flipping' to reveal the giant canines. If this does not put one side off, a fight ensues, where it's effectively an all in brawl, with the victor obtaining/retaining control of the harem.

Pretty hectic. The latter behaviour (the geladas) is actually displayed on Episode 9 (Social Climbers) of Life of Mammals.

Regards,

- Knights -
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 09:53
yeah but groups of each species attacking each other?

i think its Gelada in Ethiopia and the hamydras (sp?) baboon.

which take me to my next vs, termites and ants (africa)

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 11:12
I can imagine there being the odd conflict between Hamadryas Baboons and Geladas, seeing as they do both live in Ethiopia. I haven't heard of any particular cases though. Hamadryas aren't the largest Baboons (I think Chacmas are), so may be similar sized to the Geladas - making for an interesting face off.

Regarding Ants vs. Termites, Ants all the way - they have specific individuals as dedicated soldiers, and have the advantage of larger pincers and a sting of formic acid.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 11:48
you know im still not convinced the wolf owns a lynx yet.

i just read in wiki that the Canadian lynx can prey on the coyote. 
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 11:56
Really? Which article? I was looking, and read on the Coyote one that they sometimes prey upon the Lynxes...

I still think the superior size and strength of the Wolf would prevail. Having an elongated muzzle is advantageous when trying to bite, which the Wolf has over the Lynx. What do you think?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 12:03
The wolf has the better bite and stamina ( i assume we talking the grey wolf) but a good size lynx, to the death or protecting the young, can come up with the goods.

wolves are pack animals they're greatest advantage is their social network.

its an interesting fight, they fight differently have different strengths. I would certainly like to find some examples or stories.

Edited by Leonidas - 15-Jan-2008 at 12:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>