Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

creationism or evolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 33>
Poll Question: which do you believe is right and why
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [16.67%]
47 [65.28%]
13 [18.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creationism or evolution
    Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 16:29
It seems to me that everything we say is based on predicates, so is everything we say self-sufficient? "Sun is bright" is a predicate, "Sun causes life on Earth" is another predicate.
Also I believe it's a bit harder to separate statements from what we perceive. Once we talk about predicates, it's obviously we first understand the words ("sun", "to be", "bright") and the grammar binding them, and only after having these we can say what is a predicate and what is not.

Axioms can be challenged like you say. What is an axiom for you it may be not for me and viceversa. But when one estabilishes a body of axioms he demonstrates (usually invoking some goal and/or finding a root in some outer cause, to escape the continuous need for further justifications) the necessity of those axioms. What that demonstration consists of is a matter of discussion.

On your argument on possibility I am afraid there's a flaw. If it possible it doesn't mean it actually happens. If everything is possible, then it's possible for biological evolution to be true, but also possible for the intelligent design to be true, only that because they are incompatible they are not true at the same time.

Let's get back to the meat of the topic. One flavour of creationism claims the Earth life was created several thousands years ago. Evolutionism claims the Earth life was created (evolved from the an-organic) several billions years ago. While both claims may be possible, they are obviously not true at the same time. That's why such theories exclude each other.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 17:21

Menumorut, it's not possible to discuss with someone lacking an attribute, we humans in our fake ways, call it intelligence. If every statement is wrong, everything you have written (said, thought, also everything I or anyone else has) is wrong. Thus, you're wrong! Wink
I have asked you several times about what "true" knowledge is, but all I got was a rant on how science is wrong and everything is wrong.

The last sentence simply begs the question.

What you say is ilogic: you ask me to declare that rationating is useful, else my assertions being, in your opinion only, false.

You make a fundamental confusion, the one between a thing and the concept about that thing. You believe that a thng cann't exist if it is not definible or defined.

I'm wondering how could you pretend that have any logic in what you say.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 18:46
You know, the more you both continue sharing your philosophical differences the more you get entangled in attempting to explain them. Maybe the fun with that is in the disagreement over your theories. If you can't come to an agreement perhaps you both can refocus on your impressions towards 'evolution'.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 07:57
Originally posted by Chilbudios

It seems to me that everything we say is based on predicates, so is everything we say self-sufficient? "Sun is bright" is a predicate, "Sun causes life on Earth" is another predicate.
Also I believe it's a bit harder to separate statements from what we perceive. Once we talk about predicates, it's obviously we first understand the words ("sun", "to be", "bright") and the grammar binding them, and only after having these we can say what is a predicate and what is not.
I was talking about logical predicates. I give it to you again: A predicate is self-sufficient, the value of the predicate is not.

Axioms can be challenged like you say. What is an axiom for you it may be not for me and viceversa. But when one estabilishes a body of axioms he demonstrates (usually invoking some goal and/or finding a root in some outer cause, to escape the continuous need for further justifications) the necessity of those axioms. What that demonstration consists of is a matter of discussion.
Therefore it all comes to the value of the axioms. Which is relative. Newton's physics is  sufficient to an extent. When it can't explain some things it becomes useless. So, it is necessary to rebuild physics on a new set of axioms but, watch it, the new physiscs must be consistent with the old. If you wish, call Newton's physics v. 4.1 and Einstein's physiscs v. 8.2.. That's why I think religion to be self sufficient yet incomplete. Also I think it's a dead end.

On your argument on possibility I am afraid there's a flaw. If it possible it doesn't mean it actually happens. If everything is possible, then it's possible for biological evolution to be true, but also possible for the intelligent design to be true, only that because they are incompatible they are not true at the same time.
Check again, I'm not flawed. You introduced the concept of time, which I didn't use or defined.

Let's get back to the meat of the topic. One flavour of creationism claims the Earth life was created several thousands years ago. Evolutionism claims the Earth life was created (evolved from the an-organic) several billions years ago. While both claims may be possible, they are obviously not true at the same time. That's why such theories exclude each other.
OK, let's call the creationism above as Radical Creation(RC). It's a self sufficient set of statements which, unfortunately, is not confirmed by observation. It's useful, to an extent, but it doesn't go beyond. Therefore, I call RC as being unconfirmed. This theory must be revized. I'm waiting for the new version. (Damn! RC are my initials! What was I thinking when I wrote this!)
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 12:28
Originally posted by Seko

You know, the more you both continue sharing your philosophical differences the more you get entangled in attempting to explain them. Maybe the fun with that is in the disagreement over your theories. If you can't come to an agreement perhaps you both can refocus on your impressions towards 'evolution'.

I understand the point so I'll drop my quarrel with Menumorut and continue only mine with Cezar which seems (still) to address the topic of the thread.

Originally posted by Cezar

I was talking about logical predicates. I give it to you again: A predicate is self-sufficient, the value of the predicate is not.
My observation applies both to logical and grammar predicates. I could have said as well ""Sun is bright" has a predicate, "Sun causes life on Earth" has another predicate. Actually all logical predicates are based on grammar predicates because we need grammar to express ourselves. Don't we?

Therefore it all comes to the value of the axioms. Which is relative. Newton's physics is  sufficient to an extent. When it can't explain some things it becomes useless. So, it is necessary to rebuild physics on a new set of axioms but, watch it, the new physiscs must be consistent with the old. If you wish, call Newton's physics v. 4.1 and Einstein's physiscs v. 8.2.. That's why I think religion to be self sufficient yet incomplete. Also I think it's a dead end.
I agree that axioms are some-how a dead-end, but I do not understand your further conclusions. Until you clarify the paragraph above, everything (everything predicative) seems self-sufficient. And physics seems as complete or as incomplete (whatever they mean) as religion. IMO, the main difference between the religious knowledge and physical or biological knowledge lies at their foundation, at the axioms they choose. For the former, there's a magic (transcendental dimension) and an associated definition of the world(s) and our place in it - but eventually this can be seen as a body of axioms. For the latter, there's a scientific paradigm (sometimes simply refered as scientific method) which encapsulates a body of axioms which in their essence they define how to make science, how to obtain scientific knowledge.

Check again, I'm not flawed. You introduced the concept of time, which I didn't use or defined.
I think you misunderstood. "at the same time" which as adverb is synonymous with "simultaneously", "concurrently". While its semantics retains an obvious dimension of time,it can mean also a simple conjunction. Two statements (claims, theory, etc.) true at the same time = two statements true in conjunction, both true.
One good way to talk about modal claims is using possible worlds but I'm afraid I'll just trigger more misunderstandings. So let me rephrase my earlier objection in the following way (! = not, * = and):
p = a claim from evolutionism (where evolutionism is E = p*p1*p2*... - a lot of other claims)
!p = a claim from creationism, denying the the previous claim (where creationism is C = !p*q1*q2*... - a lot of other claims)
E can be true, C can be true, E*C however is certainly false because p*!p = 0, and the whole thing will be 0. Is this more clear now? (You called C actually RC, but many enough, if not most, types of creationism have claims which are contrary with some claims made in the mainstream evolutionist theory).

Edited by Chilbudios - 19-Dec-2007 at 12:28
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 15:20
That's OK Chilbudios but what if:
E=a*a1*a2*...an
C=c1*c2*...*E?
If there is a cx=!ay then
C=c1*c2*....*(E-ay) XOR C=((c1*c2*...)-cx)*E.
But since we're still at logic let's think about the following
E1=a*a1*...*ak
After the discovery of al it turns into
E2=a*a1*...*ak*al
If !a1 is confirmed by observation then
E3=a*a2*...*ak*al
and so on.
On the other hand, by the way C is designed, things can be added but some things cannnot be removed. For example the existence of a single God in some Creation variants.
That means that creationists deny evolution only because it's flexible while their religion is not. Actually that's denying all science or knowledge, to some extent.
Anyway that's only because we want/need consistency. !x*x is not illogical. It's not even totally inconsistent if !x*x=q for some x's.
So, let's not get carried away and get into pure logic, the question is what makes creation and evolution exclusive?
I repeat, my opinion is E=1, C=? 

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 15:38
If C = E * something, then you might be right, but again I say, most creationists reject mainstream evolutionism (in whole or parts of it).

The difference you put between C and E in the second part of your message it doesn't seem fair. E has also things which cannot be removed, the foundation named scientific method, for instance. I find the flaws of C mainly in promoting demonstrably false arguments when trying to argue against E on the same battlefield.

!x * x = 0, for the defined operators. Creationism (in most of its versions) and evolutionism are thus mutually exclusive. Creation and evolution are not, but that's slightly another discussion.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 16:14
Are you saying thet E is immuable. Some parts of it can change to the extent that what was initially considered as required is no more. There are no limits to changes a scientific theory can undertake.
And you seem to be right, Chilbudios, most creationists do think that accepting evolutionism is like denying their faith. They get emotional and improperly attempt to prove they're right and/or evolutionists are wrong. I've witnesed a lot of crazy arguments against evolution/evolutionism on this forum.
And there's also those who cannot argue against evolution yet negate it by saying that anything we "know" might be wrong. They bassically state that if evolution can be wrong then it's wrong. Which, off course, is not appliable to their firm faith.
Evolution(ism) has a too small value for those who believe in God(s).

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 10:45
Yesterday I watched a discussion about themes like that. One christian said that the problem with it is that the scientists or atheists are discussing this with facts that are real and that this would be the problem, because god can not be described with logical arguments. So you have to feel it.
well I think this is the problems with christians. If they have to decide between "to know" and "to believe" they often decide for "to believe". I had a professor who studied religion. He said he wanted to know everything and he asked plenty of questions. But as more he wanted to know, as more he asked, he realized that his believe became less and he realized that this is all a fake.  He wanted to be a scientist and so he changed his subject to history. The believe of the most people is, please forgive me, childish. They need a father, who is taking care for them, a help in fear. Thats important for the people and if the need it, I think it is good. But we do they not stay away from science?

Edited by beorna - 20-Dec-2007 at 10:46
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 15:21
Originally posted by Cezar

Are you saying thet E is immuable. Some parts of it can change to the extent that what was initially considered as required is no more. There are no limits to changes a scientific theory can undertake.
Of course, there are limits (but I'm not saying the theory it's unchangeable, it's changeable within certain limits). If you perform changes large enough the theory can become something else than evolutionism, maybe even some flavour of creationism or a theory about square circles or flying spaghetti monsters (depending what do you change in it). If you perform changes large enough the theory can become not scientific. Anything which is defined has the limits given by its own definition. I'm sure we can define a transformation "matrix" which will mutate evolutionism in creationism. Evolutionism is not just random text, random knowledge, not even just a theory, but a certain theory.

beorna, in most common acceptance "to know" eventually can be reduced to some basic beliefs. In the discussion I had with Cezar so far I've generally labeled them as "axioms".

Here's an interesting debate from IIDB (you can visit the entire section, it has many interesting - more or less - debates): http://www.iidb.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=104663 IMO, it was argued convincingly enough that some religious beliefs (like the one in a being displaying maximal excellence - see the debate for definition) are justifiable in such a way to be considered knowledge.

Edited by Chilbudios - 20-Dec-2007 at 15:22
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 16:12
Well, we can always say that what we know is just a result of our present knowledge, so that everything we know can be wrong tomorrow and so it is just the believe to know something. But this is a very intellectual debate then indeed. We know an apple is falling to the ground, everybody knows it and we know why, it's gravity. I can believe that an apple is falling up sometimes somewhere but I cannot proof it. So we should accept that knowing is better than believing. People who adore the creationism or the now called intelligent design want advices from the scientists for everything, but they can't stand when we do the same with their believe.

The base of christian believe is the bible. That's what they tell us! If it is the word of god, why there are so many mistakes? Why are they riding camels allthough there weren't some? Why are they paying with money allthough it wasn't founded? Where do the wifes of Kain and Abel come from? How long is a day when no sun is existing? Why shall we make us no picture of god allthough he said he made us like him? How could the sun stand still allthough the earth is turning around the sun? Why does god say an eye for an eye in the Old Testament and love your enemies in the New one? Why made he a child with Maria, allthough she was the bride of Josef? And more and more and more? The creationist want to speak with us wheather science is right or wrong? I think they should care about their own believe!

Sorry, but I am getting rid of it. Evolution vs Creationism? No, it's the free thinking against bigottery and a world of stupidity.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 16:26

Is Quantum Physics Archimede's Physics?. Is Euclid's Geomethry Riemann's? Do you think that there are limits? Off course there are but when a theory reaches them another theory is replace it. If I make a breakthrough in evolutionis I don't call the new theory Dynamic Cezar's Transgression of Existence.

That future alterations of the evolution(ism) might bring evidence for creation(ism) is not impossible.

The debate you reffered to is nice. But, IMO, the basic results are:
1. There are religious beliefs
2. The religious beliefs can be considered knowledge.
That doesn't mean that religious beliefs are knowledge. And that discussion was about theism vs atheism.
and you'll see something more refined.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 12:21
All ideas from the past have a use by date with a definate shelf life, they will not keep on being useful forever. Concepts that seemed brilliant at the time are historical myths now. All things in this world do change particularly our world of ideas!
elenos
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 12:39
Originally posted by elenos

All ideas from the past have a use by date with a definate shelf life, they will not keep on being useful forever. Concepts that seemed brilliant at the time are historical myths now. All things in this world do change particularly our world of ideas!

We should not start from physical world when trying to establish the truth.

The science makes this mistake, no wonder it reached to say that something appeared from nothing and that that something is evoluating to something else.

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 14:01

You're sure. Scientists say it started with nothing and they cannot explain how this is possible. We could say it is God who creates everything from nothing. But, if we don't look if you can proof it or not, what is god? Can you tell me what it is? Is it the beloved father in heaven of what most people believe? Is he material, spiritual or what? I don't know if there is something like god or how ever we should name it, but I am very sure that he has nothing to do with the god of the christians, the muslims, the jews and the most of the others. So if the christian believe is wrong, creationism is wrong! The best explanation we have is that of the scientists! If there is someone a better explanation, o.k., but not these fundamentalist christian ideas (I'd like to write another word for ideas, but I am to handsome)

This thread is called creationism or evolution. In these discussions all over the world the scientists have to defend the evolution-theory. But why have we to defend it? The creationists have to show if they are right, they should be in a defending position. We are going to discuss in an very intellectual way. We cannot win that war, because they don't accept facts. They are as soft as jellyfishes. If you give them a facts they don't like, they move to another battleground, if you show them a mistake in their argumentation they ignore it. They have to proof first that they are right, not we!

Edited by beorna - 21-Dec-2007 at 16:32
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 17:27
Imagine that a child, since is born, is kept in a room on whom walls are projected movies in a way creating the illusion of a world. Having not repers, the child will believe that is a real world. If there are several children in that room, when they will grow up they will start to study how the things in that world are wroking. They will write scientifical works etc.

The same senseless is what the real science is doing. It takes some images from our brain and make a laborious theory.

The principle of existence could not be determined by these images because they are relative.

Now, to learn what is the source of our existence, we have to be oriented toward the absolute principle of existence. We cannot find anything about it because our actions are limited to notional speculations. But we can remain just open to possible further discoveries, in a matter we don't know.

Edited by Menumorut - 21-Dec-2007 at 17:28

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 17:38
Well I did not say we shouldn't be open to possible further discoveries. We have always to ask ourself if we are right or wrong. But creationism is not a different scientific theory. It's an attack towards science. Science is one big base of humanism, and humanism is the base for our democracy. We are fighting against enemies of democracy all over the world but there is a cancor in ourself. I accept different opinions, no problem, but they don't want to discuss with us. They want to bring us their one god, their one way of live and their view of what is right or wrong.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 18:01
If you ask yourself, you can learn only what you allready know.

Creationism is not an attack towards science, it appeared thousands years before evolutionism.

Yes, science is based on humanism and this is wrong because human is not the principle of existence.

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 21:44

Very good arguments gentlemen, however we all need to refresh our perspectives by taking and using what can be known. There is always more to know or there would be no point in having an education process. During the height of Greek times a philosophical argument was waged over the state of the universe. Was the universe static (unchanging in its basic or elemental properties) or flowing (in a state of constant change).  The earlier world view had loosely favored all things flow however this more ancient viewpoint lost the battle for hearts and minds. The more politically correct static viewpoint was favored until the time of quantum physics.

The once supreme and rampant static viewpoint favored having god or gods. The real argument here is whether or not the long standing Supreme Being idea is a fundamental concept that has been hardwired into the human brain. Growing evidence suggests that it is certainly not the case and an early form of evolution was naturally accepted long before the (arguably) more primitive creation ideas first appeared.

Look at the complexity of these psychic form arguments (that every caveman knows?). The earth (universe) has been created to function in certain ways by an eternally constant power that lives in an eternally constant realm. Now this unchanging power in this spiritual place hidden from our non-spiritual eyes has the power to change things around otherwise they will stay the same for they have no power within to change themselves.  However they can and do change because the creator has created the inner mechanisms for them to change.

We should not start from the physical world when trying to determine the truth? Pray tell from what world should we start? Im not even arguing for science or religion but for common sense at last. The world has been abused and mistreated by diseased ideas dressed up in a gleaming party frock of rituals, ceremonies and lavish splendor that basically pleads permission for our form of life to put down other forms of life to enrich our own and advance our own selfish causes.

elenos
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 23:32
Originally posted by elenos

Growing evidence suggests that it is certainly not the case and an early form of evolution was naturally accepted long before the (arguably) more primitive creation ideas first appeared.

I don't know which are these "earlier" forms of evolutionist belief but their age doesn't make them true. Or perhaps you try to defend the idea that creationism attacked evolutionism?

We should not start from the physical world when trying to determine the truth? Pray tell from what world should we start? Im not even arguing for science or religion but for common sense at last.

As I sayed, we haven't the means to reach the truth by our actions. Studying to never end the material world will never reveal the secret of existence because the principle of existence should be self-sufficient, and the material world isn't. We have to remain open to a supranatural revelation, is the only way of staying in truth.

The world has been abused and mistreated by diseased ideas dressed up in a gleaming party frock of rituals, ceremonies and lavish splendor that basically pleads permission for our form of life to put down other forms of life to enrich our own and advance our own selfish causes.

Is not clear for me what you are asserting. That that searching for our spiritual perfection is selfishism?

Edited by Menumorut - 21-Dec-2007 at 23:33

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 33>