Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about the Moors who ruled Iberia.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about the Moors who ruled Iberia.
    Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 05:37
Originally posted by viola76

dragonza berbers are a different coloured group of tribes, you can look them up. if you prove to me i said otherwise on this thread fair play to you, if not, stop lying about what i said.

Viola, Stop trolling, please.
That Berbers is today a group with some mixed peoples, doesn't show anything. Yes, the more they descend from Mediterranean Africa into Central Africa, the more mixed people. And it is obvious. The region you are talking about covers about 1/3 of Africa!

But -And that "but" is important- Moors, for Spain, are the Mediterranean Berbers, people of the coast,  as I say before. Even more, the largest majorities of Berbers are Mediterraneans and not the Tuaregs. So your theory doesn't have a stand.

These are the Moors, fellow. No others,

Edited by pinguin - 20-Jan-2008 at 05:39
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 05:55

...gcle we know the moors in spain were black white mixed. i dont know what the rest of what you write has to do with anything

You keep lying.

The Moors of Spain were not Black and White mixed as your Afrocentric masters tough you.

The largest majority of Moors of Spain were local Spaniards. Of the rest, Moor mean Muslim, as you know, and that group was composed of Arabs, Syrians and Middle Eastern in general, as well as Moroccians and Lybians.

I know that Afrocentrists follow the advice of the Nazis. Nothing strange because Afrocentrism is racism. Here is what the nazis adviced on propaganda:

"Make the lie big, make it simple. KEEP SAYING IT, and eventually they will believe it"

Adolf Hitler

"If you tell a lie big enough and KEEP REPEATING IT, people will eventually come to believe it"

Joseph Goebbels 

So Viola, keep repeating your lie like a parrot. Eventually you will convince everybody on here. But not me LOL

Edited by pinguin - 20-Jan-2008 at 05:58
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 10:43
Originally posted by gcle

However, if there were some blacks with the invading army in the 8th century, either slaves or freed after conversion, they would be much more likely to have originated from slaves taken in the East African slave trade, which began much earlier.

It is highly probably there were a few 'black' soliders in the invading armies, and in the latter rule. The slave trade from both west and east Africa to the Maghrib and the middle east is long established by that period.
There are many notable 'Black' (ex)slaves in the early muslim period (eg Bilal)

'Blackamoor' specifically meant a sub-Saharan African, but Shakespeare notably does not call Othello a 'blackamoor' but only a 'Moor'.

Shakespere uses both black moor and Tawney moor. London also received ambassadors from Morocco during his adulthood. So he must have been aware of the differences in skin colour.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 10:59

gcle we know the moors in spain were black white mixed.
No we don't. That's the whole point of the thread. Give me one contemporary reference to indicate that the Moors in Iberia were even commonly black-skinned and I might start to believe you. It's not enough to say that they were sometimes referred to as 'black' or 'dark' because there is ample evidence to show that referring to people as either does not mean they had black (or even dark) skins, as opposed to hair and eyes.
i dont know what the rest of what you write has to do with anything
That would be your problem, not mine. Try thinking about it.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 11:28

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

However, if there were some blacks with the invading army in the 8th century, either slaves or freed after conversion, they would be much more likely to have originated from slaves taken in the East African slave trade, which began much earlier.

It is highly probably there were a few 'black' soliders in the invading armies, and in the latter rule. The slave trade from both west and east Africa to the Maghrib and the middle east is long established by that period.
I don't think that's true in West Africa for 710 or the eighth century as a whole, though it was in the east, which is what I said.

I've been searching around for any indications of early trade between the Arab world and the West African populations (south of the Sahara), and I don't find anything in the first millenium.

'Blackamoor' specifically meant a sub-Saharan African, but Shakespeare notably does not call Othello a 'blackamoor' but only a 'Moor'.

Shakespere uses both black moor and Tawney moor. London also received ambassadors from Morocco during his adulthood. So he must have been aware of the differences in skin colour.

Morocco isn't in sub-Saharan Africa.

In fact Shakespeare uses the word 'blackamoor' specifically in the sense I indicated, though only, I think, in a stage direction. And that is particularly intently to designate a 'black' child, which, dramatically, he needs to do to indicate who has been fornicating with whom, in particular a mistress with her slave.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Moroccan (Moorish) delegation to London hadn't brought along with them black slaves, and that Shakespeare considered all of them, irrespective of colour, as 'Moors'.

It makes my point that when he needs to indicate that a Moor is black he uses a specific term to indicate the blackness. (As, elsewhere in Titus Andronicus, he emphasises 'coal-black Moor'. If Moors in general were black he wouldn't have had to.)

All this anyway is long after the Moors ruled Iberia.

PS Shakespeare refers to the same child as both 'tawney' and 'coal-black', so presumably he didn't distinguish between them. He puts the words in the mouths of different characters however, which I suppose some people might find significant.

Edited by gcle2003 - 20-Jan-2008 at 11:32
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 11:34
Viola. Could you explain us why is so critically important for you that the Egyptians and Moors be black?

drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 11:58
Viola please give it up, in addressing me within the context of the Lagos-Oslo research it is obvious you do not understand the material. When one speaks of archaic lineages, you are addressing  sub-Saharan Africa, but none of it speaks of skin-color! Besides, the emphasis on 16175, in L1b lineages, when speaking of North Africa is employed in terms of archaic composites not reflected in present day populations within a sub-Saharan context!

In fact, in the classic geographic classification of Iberia and the self-cognizance of the historical Berbers in classic antiquity as the Iber-Iber, you would be hard put in asserting non linkage between the inhabitants on both sides of the Straits.

In the 8th century, the consolidation of Arab hegemony over the Berbers was not even complete and there was scant Sub-Saharan contact in the Niger valley in terms of Islam. Such does not take place until centuries later while under the Almoravid, incursions into Black Africa came within the context of conquest. There are sufficient myths regarding the advent of Islam onto the Iberian peninsula--and Pinguin has hit upon one when he clarifies the point that the majority of Moros were peninsulares and not even Berbers--without need of introducing a travesty of modern vintage.

To put it succinctly, Viola, you are way off base and neither history nor genetics supports  the speculation you have adopted. Were Blacks unknown to the Roman world, no they were not but they were associated, as was the elephant, with the hinterlands of Ptolemaic Egypt. The now extinct Loxodonta africana pharaohensis is a case in point, and if you did not notice that coin you put forth as pertinent to the "Moors", such is an excellent example on a coin from Arretium? (modern Arezzo just south of Firenze) in the 3rd century BC, long before Hannibal. The coin itself was found in Etruria but minting provenance is unknown and subject to much speculation. However, knowledge that Ptolemaic Egypt engaged in the trade of these elephants is sufficient to cut off fancies presented by some, including the preposterous assertion that the head is that of Hasdrubal!  The Seleucids and the Ptolemies pitted their different species in battle at just this time. 
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 13:06

dragonza berbers are a different coloured group of tribes, you can look them up. if you prove to me i said otherwise on this thread fair play to you, if not, stop lying about what i said.

I will let what is written represent exactly what you have been saying. We are speaking of a specific moment in history, with which you have been playing fast and loose. Now here you introduce another diversion "Berbers are a different coloured group of tribes". Please present the documentation for even within the Tuareg, lineage and social position, such would be most illuminating. By the way, here is a map drawn from Wiki, whose creator is most interested in having it given wide distribution:

Image:Berbers.png

You will find that it is the Tuareg, as a result of their nomadic trade patterns and economic activity, who illustrate the greatest contact with sub-Saharan racial groups of the contemporary world.

What is most disturbing is your persistence in maintaining the types of rationales formulated by classic racists of the past century. So that you undertstandd what I mean, here is an excellent essay on the topic (which also touches upon the use made of the Tuareg within the argument):

Shades of the Delaware Moors!

...certain facial characteristics...set them apart from both whites and Negroes. The darkest have brown skins and the lightest resemble their white neighbors in complexion. Blonde, red and sandy hair may be seen, but the majority have brown or black hair, either wavy or straight and coarse like that of the full blooded American Indian. Kinky or woolen hair...is not often seen...straight noses and thin lips are typical. Eye colors range from grays and blues to dark brown and black. Many of the mixed bloods have sharply chiseled features, swarthy complexions and straight hair.... Others are distinctly Indian-like in appearance, having high and wide cheekbones, even among the same family. Light skinned Parent often have dark skinned children and vice versa.

C. A. Weslger. " The Moors of Delaware" in Delaware: A History of the First State, edit. by H. Clay Reed, (New York:1947), 2:610.

There are no "coloured" Berbers and the vocabulary is offensive.

Edited by drgonzaga - 20-Jan-2008 at 13:10
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 13:18
Moroccians

Tunisians:

Algerians:
Libians

Those are the Moors. Period

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 14:04
Originally posted by drgonzaga

In the 8th century, the consolidation of Arab hegemony over the Berbers was not even complete and there was scant Sub-Saharan contact in the Niger valley in terms of Islam. Such does not take place until centuries later while under the Almoravid, incursions into Black Africa came within the context of conquest. There are sufficient myths regarding the advent of Islam onto the Iberian peninsula--and Pinguin has hit upon one when he clarifies the point that the majority of Moros were peninsulares and not even Berbers--without need of introducing a travesty of modern vintage.

Co-sign and absolutely agree. The fact is, the Moors conquered West Africa and not the other way around. With respect to Spain, it is quite clear that most Moros were peninsulares (Iberians). Otherwise you couldn't explain the fact that although Al-Andalus mint theirs coins in Arab, most people spoke in vulgar Latin, which will become Spanish one day.

Now, when people talks about Islam tolerancy in Al-Andalus they believe was something that the invaders decided by themselves. They forget Muslims were forced by circumstances. Arabs were a tiny minority between the people, so they have to give something up. They married Visigot families to get legitimacy and also they promoted multiculturalism (in other words, the tactic of divide to rule).

Finally, how come some people is crazy enough to teach history of Spain to people that knows or have roots in that land?

Edited by pinguin - 20-Jan-2008 at 14:05
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 15:04

Originally posted by pinguin

The fact is, the Moors conquered West Africa and not the other way around. With respect to Spain, it is quite clear that most Moros were peninsulares (Iberians). Otherwise you couldn't explain the fact that although Al-Andalus mint theirs coins in Arab, most people spoke in vulgar Latin, which will become Spanish one day.
I don't disagree with what you actually say, but the question is about the Moors who ruled Iberia, not just about all the Moors who lived there. I.e. it isn't about "most people".

Finally, how come some people is crazy enough to teach history of Spain to people that knows or have roots in that land?

I don't think living in a country or having roots in one automatically makes you expert in its history. Or even necessarily gives you an advantage. It doesn't even mean necessarily that you've studied its history at all.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 15:53
Originally posted by gcle2003

I don't think living in a country or having roots in one automatically makes you expert in its history. Or even necessarily gives you an advantage. It doesn't even mean necessarily that you've studied its history at all.

Friend, be serious please. Both you and me know what I meant.
I was targetting pseudo-schollar fantasies of people that don't have a clue about the history of Spain or Iberia in general. I was pointing to authors, like science-fiction writer Ivan Van Sertima, who has millions of followers that come over and over again asking for the same topics.

drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 17:09
Yes, let us look at a generalization such as "the Moors who ruled Iberia" and apply the close lens of history.

1. The "Conquest" and the Syrian dynasts, 711/789-929
2. The Umayyads and the Caliphate of Cordoba: 929-1031
3. The Taifas: 1010-1090
4. The Almoravids, and the fatwa of Al-Tartushi: 1090-1146
5. The Almohads and the Emirate of Sevilla: 1149/1170-1248
6. Granada, 1248-1492

Numerically, neither the Arabs nor the Berbers were the ethnic majority in the process of the Islamicization of Iberia in the 8th and 9th centuries. Yes, they were the military factor that brought about the collapse of the Visigothic kingdom, but the advent of Islam also presented an avenue of liberation from the slavery and rural peonage of the indigenous population inherited by the Germanic invaders from the late Roman Empire. It is a broad enough topic to generate an independent thread, but suffice it to say that a large percentage of the rural inhabitants of the peninsula converted to Islam. Such was not the instance in the surviving urban environment of late Roman times, where both Judaism and Christianity remained, with the latter surviving throughout the period under the generic name of Mozarabe.

Such was the environment that prevailed within the context of the Caliphate of Cordoba, and interestingly enough, the Umayyad rulers to some degree replicated the old political divisions from antiquity inherited from the Visigoths--the old Roman comes. The first caliph, Abd'ar-Rahman, had just as much trouble maintaining the allegiance of the various regions as did the Visigoths. Hence, the glory of the Caliphate was essentially restricted to a mere century before fragmenting along regional lines in the period known in Spanish history as the Taifas. Call it hispanicized feudalism or what you will, but suzerainty was more a function of alliances and regional interests rather than some integrated political body. Was there an "Arab" ruling class? One can make the argument in terms of the dynastic succession, and Al-Mansur Ibn Abi Aamir, who usurped the Omayyad line was an ethnic Arab from Algeciras. However, he was also the catalyst not only for the fragmentation of the caliphate but also for increasing reliance upon Berber North Africa for the military defense of Islam in the peninsula. It is at this time that one can speak of an Arab elite, a Berber military, and an indigenous Islamic population, the Mulades--these were the contrast to the Mozrabes, the indigenous population that had remained Christian under Muslim rule.

The fall of Toledo to the Kingdom of Leon in 1085 is the watershed event that would see the rise of a ruling Berber elite, since the dissolution of the caliphate was interpreted as a consequence to a fall from orthodoxy--hence my reference to the famous fatwa granted in Egypt to the Almoravid Yusuf Ibn Tashfin by the Muladi, Ibrahim Ibn Yaqub al-Tartushi (of Tortosa). It is from this date forward that the politics of Spain and Morocco become forever intertwined, as events in the peninsula more and more reflect the dynamics of Morocco and its own religious struggles, that finally lead to the Emirate of Sevilla and eventual decline.

The world of Mulades, Mozrabes, Mudejres, Moriscos, Berbers, and Arabs is not as simple as one might envision under the label "Moors"! The one thing we are not speaking about are Negros!

Edited by drgonzaga - 20-Jan-2008 at 17:25
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 18:12

Mind you, Shakespeare is not the most reliable source as far a history is concerned. He was simply a playwrite like the thousands of scriptwriters in Hollywood today.

Playwrites make mistakes that create false impressions in the mind of the masses.
For example, everyone who hasn't studied the subject in detail would think that it were slaves who built Egyptian pyramids, and slaves who rowed the Greek warships, when in reality that had been paid-labourers and free citizens who had done the job.
Shakespeare might have met a Moor who happened to have sub-saharan lineage, therefore he created the character Othello; but this would not imply that all Moors were like the Moor that he met. 

I find Afrocentrists and White supremacists very similar in their beliefs and arguments. They have the tendency to divide the world into 2 categories: black and white, with no grey aeas in the middle, and if you were not one you were the other.
They also attempt to equate terms of different meanings to convince people that one is the other. For example, Afro-centrists tend to equate "African" with "Black", while white supremacists attempt to equate "Indo-European" with "Nordic".  
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 07:32

I don't think that's true in West Africa for 710 or the eighth century as a whole, though it was in the east, which is what I said.

I've been searching around for any indications of early trade between the Arab world and the West African populations (south of the Sahara), and I don't find anything in the first millenium.

Unfortunately I no longer have the book, but it spent a chapter on (west) sudanese-maghrib trade before the rise of the kingdom of Ghana.
I have found a wiki quote for you though:
The domestication of the camel allowed the development of a cross-Saharan trade with cultures across the Sahara, including Carthage and the Berbers; major exports included gold, cotton cloth, metal ornaments and leather goods, which were then exchanged for salt, horses, and textiles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Africa

The west sudanese have had trade routes with the north long before islamic times. Trade with the maghrib was a major income source for Ghana (8th - 11 centuries)

and there was scant Sub-Saharan contact in the Niger valley in terms of Islam. Such does not take place until centuries later while under the Almoravid, incursions into Black Africa came within the context of conquest.

The sentence neatly ignores the fact that when the Almoravids invaded Ghana, it was already ruled by muslims with a substantial number of muslim subjects. See above, trade with the Maghrib was very important to Ghana, and Islam came on these routes long before the almoravids.

But let no-one think that I am in anyway defending the idea that moors are sudanese. I'm just pruning your arguments.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 21-Jan-2008 at 07:33
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 12:05
Originally posted by calvo

Mind you, Shakespeare is not the most reliable source as far a history is concerned. He was simply a playwrite like the thousands of scriptwriters in Hollywood today.
True, but I'm offering Shakespeare as a guide to how English words were used in the 16th/17th century. He's pretty reliable on that. As, indeed, are Hollywood scriptwriters are to how English words are used in California today.

I wasn't really suggesting there was a Queen of the Goths who had a black child by her African slave, just that Shakespeare used the term "blackamoor" to describe the character, rather than just 'Moor'.

And the point I was making was that the term 'blackamoor' came into use about the time the western European seamen were making contact with sub-Saharan west Africa.

Playwrites make mistakes that create false impressions in the mind of the masses.
For example, everyone who hasn't studied the subject in detail would think that it were slaves who built Egyptian pyramids, and slaves who rowed the Greek warships, when in reality that had been paid-labourers and free citizens who had done the job.
Shakespeare might have met a Moor who happened to have sub-saharan lineage, therefore he created the character Othello;
I doubt that very strongly. He doesn't call Othello a 'blackamoor' - only Aaron.
 but this would not imply that all Moors were like the Moor that he met. 

I find Afrocentrists and White supremacists very similar in their beliefs and arguments. They have the tendency to divide the world into 2 categories: black and white, with no grey aeas in the middle, and if you were not one you were the other.
I certainly agree with that and what follows.
They also attempt to equate terms of different meanings to convince people that one is the other. For example, Afro-centrists tend to equate "African" with "Black", while white supremacists attempt to equate "Indo-European" with "Nordic".  
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 12:19
Omar, I believe you are confusing the history of Mali and Songhay for the Wagadou of the Ghana. Placing aside the questionable geneaology of the Mandinka Keita dynasty as descendants of Bilal, Arab sources leave no doubt that the Ghana was not Muslim even at the time (1062-1076) of the Almoravid destruction of Kumbi Saleh by Abu Bakr in 1076. Yes, the trans-Sahara trade can be supposed, if not firmly documented, to at least the 5th century since the camel in North Africa predates Islam, and the archaeology of Djenne-jeno implies contact between the Mediterranean and the Sahel. Not to puff our locals here in Houston, but there is a sound essay on the topic on-line.

Consequently, one can not suppose the Islamicization of the Sahel prior to the 11th century. Al-Bakri, writing in that century, leaves no doubt as to that fact and the research done at Djenne-jeno confirms this time line. The question should be whether this early trade included slavery. Certainly, the Almoravid attack on Ghana was couched in terms of the physical jihād and one can soundly speculate that it is at this time that the earlier commodities trade now includes human cargo. Be that as it may, such contact between the Berbers and the Sahel does not support the notion of Black Berber tribes. Further, as a reaction to the Almoravids the area of the old Ghana kingdom became rabidly anti-Muslim under the Sosso of Kaniaga for the next century.

It is for the reasons set forth above that in terms of the 8th through 11th centuries I dismiss contact in terms of Islam and acculturation, and your supposition of a peaceful Islamic absorption in the Sahel prior to the completion of the process with the Berbers themselves. Principally, the argument here maintained is also an assault on the glib interpretation of an overwhelming Islam sweeping all before it in North Africa between the years 639 and 788. Interestingly enough it also carries another corollary, it was the advent of jihād in the Sahel that introduced the slave trade into the older commercial contacts of the Trans-Sahara consequent to the full conversion of the Berber peoples. It is only then that you note a Black component to the Muslim presence in Iberia as reflected in Spanish art of the 12th and 13th centuries. 

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 12:56

Unfortunately I no longer have the book,
That's seems to be my problem too. Smile

but it spent a chapter on (west) sudanese-maghrib trade before the rise of the kingdom of Ghana.
I have found a wiki quote for you though:
The domestication of the camel allowed the development of a cross-Saharan trade with cultures across the Sahara, including Carthage and the Berbers; major exports included gold, cotton cloth, metal ornaments and leather goods, which were then exchanged for salt, horses, and textiles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Africa
But this is also from wikipedia
It is believed to be the first of many empires that would rise in that part of Africa. It first began in the eighth century, when a dramatic shift in the economy of the Sahel area south of the Sahara allowed more centralized states to form. The introduction of the camel, which preceded Arabs and Islam by several centuries, brought about a gradual revolution in trade, and for the first time, the extensive gold, ivory, and salt resources of the region could be sent north and east to population centers in North Africa, the Middle East and Europe in exchange for manufactured goods.

Note "for the first time". Ghana was the first of the West African empires to arise, and it was well after the initial conquest of Iberia.

Yes, there had been sporadic contacts before then, but no migration of peoples northward and, as far as I can find out, no slave trade.

Edited by gcle2003 - 21-Jan-2008 at 12:58
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 23:18

Omar, I believe you are confusing the history of Mali and Songhay for the Wagadou of the Ghana.

No I'm not. Mali was muslim from the beginning, it rose at the expense of the declining Ghana.
Placing aside the questionable geneaology of the Mandinka Keita dynasty as descendants of Bilal,

Irrelevent and clearly wrong.
Arab sources leave no doubt that the Ghana was not Muslim even at the time (1062-1076) of the Almoravid destruction of Kumbi Saleh by Abu Bakr in 1076

Ghana was not majority muslim certainly. Mali had substantial non-muslim populations too. Islam was in Ghana, it was slowly spreading south. Some tribes were converting, others weren't.
Yes, the trans-Sahara trade can be supposed, if not firmly documented, to at least the 5th century since the camel in North Africa predates Islam, and the archaeology of Djenne-jeno implies contact between the Mediterranean and the Sahel.

Thank you, that is the bulk of my point. (If I wanted to be really picky I'd mention that before the trade routes switched to camels they were on horse back, although the drying of the sahara was making the horse based trade virtually impossible by 5th century)
Consequently, one can not suppose the Islamicization of the Sahel prior to the 11th century. Al-Bakri, writing in that century, leaves no doubt as to that fact and the research done at Djenne-jeno confirms this time line.

IIRC, Djenne was not a muslim city, so it is not surprising that you can't find evidence of muslims there.
Be that as it may, such contact between the Berbers and the Sahel does not support the notion of Black Berber tribes.

Certainly true. Although one wonders exactly what 'black' means. I mean, the Tuareg can be pretty dark.
It is for the reasons set forth above that in terms of the 8th through 11th centuries I dismiss contact in terms of Islam and acculturation, and your supposition of a peaceful Islamic absorption in the Sahel prior to the completion of the process with the Berbers themselves. Principally, the argument here maintained is also an assault on the glib interpretation of an overwhelming Islam sweeping all before it in North Africa between the years 639 and 788. Interestingly enough it also carries another corollary, it was the advent of jihād in the Sahel that introduced the slave trade into the older commercial contacts of the Trans-Sahara consequent to the full conversion of the Berber peoples. It is only then that you note a Black component to the Muslim presence in Iberia as reflected in Spanish art of the 12th and 13th centuries.

Completely unsubstatiated speculation. I never suggested that the sudanese started converting before the Berbers did. All I said was that the sudanese started converting before the almoravids attacked. The slave trade in the western sudan has nothing to do with the almoravid invasion, the major loot they were after was gold and salt - prompting the Ghanians to abandon & hide their mines so the northerns couldn't find them.

Yes, there had been sporadic contacts before then, but no migration of peoples northward and, as far as I can find out, no slave trade.

Certainly.
The wiki quote you provided also mentions that the trade routes were established several centuries before the Arabs, which was the point I was trying to make.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 21-Jan-2008 at 23:20
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 23:26
btw, Koumbi Saleh was a firmly muslim city by the 11th century. It may just be a coincidence, but 'Saleh' is an interesting name...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>