Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about the Moors who ruled Iberia.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
asianprince View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote asianprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about the Moors who ruled Iberia.
    Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 03:01
I'm a littlebit confused. I read that the Moors were Black Africans and that they ruled spain till 1450. The Spanish/ Portugese colonised the new world in the 1500 and used slaves from Africa. My question is, how is this possible, if the African civilizations were that powerfull in that era.

Additional questions.

1) Where the Moors Arab, Black Africans or an ancient race like the ancient egyptians.

2) Did the Portugese/ Spanish slavetraders shipped these Moors as slaves to the new world?

3) Are the slaves from West-Africa related to the Moors?
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 10:47
First let's clarify that the term Moor/Mauros does not denote a specific people but is rather a medieval European catch-all phrase for Muslim invaders from North Africa.

1) The Moors weren't homogenous. They were a mix of Arabs, Berbers and Negroes. In general you could say the Arabs were the elite element, whereas the Berbers and Negroes constituted the meat and potatoes. The extent to which the Moors were made up of Arabs, Berbers or Negroids I suppose is impossible to say for sure, but we do know a bit about the ethnicity of the elites:

The Ummajad dynasty was Arab, but was later supplanted by the Almoravid/Murabitun dynasty, which hailed from central Africa. Later these too lost power to the Almohads, who were Berbers from the Atlas mountains.

2) Not that I know of. In the 15th century all Jews and Muslims in Spain were given the choice between expulsion and conversion. Those who converted became Christians and could thus not be used as slaves, and those who did not convert moved elsewere.

3) It's possible some of them were, but it's unlikely many were. The Moors were primarily from North Africa.

Edited by Reginmund - 07-Dec-2007 at 10:49
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 13:14

Moor has two meaning. The first is just Muslim. Any person in Spain that was Muslim and dress in oriental fashion was called a Moor. It is funny but most Moors weren't foreigners but local Iberians.

Second, geographically the term Moor reffer to the coastal Berber people of the Maghreb, in the Mediterranean part of countries like Morroco, Algiers, Tunicia and Lybia. The typical Moor is the Berber like the Kabyle people. Think in Zidane and in Kaddafi and you got the idea.

If you question is about the race of the Moors, they weren't Black subsaharan Africans and not Tuaregs either. In Spanish at least, even today, the term Moor reffers to the "white" Berber, particularly the people from Morocco. Black Africans were never called Moor in Spain but simply Blacks. Moor (Moreno) also mean light brown in Spanish, but never Black.

Finally, the culture that dominated Southern Spain during the Middle Ages wasn't North African but Arab. Arabs colonized both North Africa and Southern Europe at the same time, and theirs is the heritage that still exists in places like Andalucia and Sicily. Even today, thousand of Arab words exist in Spanish.

Edited by pinguin - 07-Dec-2007 at 13:23
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 13:29
Curiously enough, in Spain nowadays the words "Moor" and "Arab" are used interchangeably; basically referring to Muslims.

However, in reality the word "Moor" had existed as far back as Roman times and referred to the people of Mauetania - the north African province; most of them were Berbers or Punics (Phoenecians).

The Arabs in the Roman period also existed and were the native Semetic peoples inhabitting the Middle East.

"Moor" and "Arab" were utterly distinct ethnicities back then.
The emperor Septimus Severus was a "Moor", but in no way was he an "Arab".

In the 7th century, when the Arabs converted to Islam, their army swept all the way across North Africa and halted in the mountain range of northern Spain.
Under their empire, many "Moors" became Arabicised, and so did any native Hispano-Romans.
In Spain, because the Islamic army invaded by crossing the strait from North Africa, all Muslim became known as Moors, despite many, if not most of them were probably native Spaniards who had converted.

It would be surprising to know that the Arabs faced more resistance from the natives of Morrocco than the natives of Spain. For the first 2 centuries of the conquest, Spain was more "Arabicised" and "Islamic" than Morocco!

Regarding to the Black Africans; most probably the Islamic army did bring many of them as either mercenaries or slaves; but I doubt that they formed a significant number.
Crossing the Sahara was not an easy task prior to the age of cars and planes.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 17:22
Originally posted by calvo

However, in reality the word "Moor" had existed as far back as Roman times and referred to the people of Mauetania - the north African province; most of them were Berbers or Punics (Phoenecians).

The Arabs in the Roman period also existed and were the native Semetic peoples inhabitting the Middle East.

"Moor" and "Arab" were utterly distinct ethnicities back then.
The emperor Septimus Severus was a "Moor", but in no way was he an "Arab".

In the 7th century, when the Arabs converted to Islam, their army swept all the way across North Africa and halted in the mountain range of northern Spain.
Under their empire, many "Moors" became Arabicised, and so did any native Hispano-Romans.
In Spain, because the Islamic army invaded by crossing the strait from North Africa, all Muslim became known as Moors, despite many, if not most of them were probably native Spaniards who had converted.

This is true. I should have specified that my etymology of the word is only valid from the Middle Ages onward. As you say the word did not come to include Muslims, Arabs or Negroes before the spread of Islam.

Originally posted by pinguin

If you question is about the race of the Moors, they weren't Black subsaharan Africans and not Tuaregs either. In Spanish at least, even today, the term Moor reffers to the "white" Berber, particularly the people from Morocco. Black Africans were never called Moor in Spain but simply Blacks. Moor (Moreno) also mean light brown in Spanish, but never Black.

Yes, but keep in mind that the Arabs brought not only Berbers with them, but also people from Negroid tribes, both as soldiers and slaves. It's not entirely fair to say the term Moor never included Negroes, even if they were just a fringe element in Al-Andalus. And as calvo suggests a great many of them were probably Spaniards who became assimilated, if not converted. Contrary to popular myth the Muslim conquerors generally did not try to convert their subjects, and remained a religious minority for centuries, especially in Al-Andalus where it is believed they were only about 30% as late as the 15th century (there is already a thread on the topic if anyone wishes to discuss this).

As for the word "moreno", my Spanish teacher (who's Spanish) used this word not only to denote people with brown skin but also people who had light skin and dark hair, as opposed to "rubio".
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 17:48
Moors (mouros in Portuguese, moros in Castilian) were the muslim inhabitants from Iberia, or al-Andaluz.
The term itself refers to the North African Berbers who made the bulk of the Muslim invading forces, while the elite, both military and civilian, was made of Arabs (mostly from Syria and Yemen - the best poets! - and I guess from Iraq as well).

Until the late XIth century the Muslims in al-Andaluz were either of the above peoples or from muladin (converts). The remaning population was of Christian Mozarabs (of Visigothic rite) and Jews, who had to pay a religious tax and were, in general, 2nd class citizens.

Most of the Black Africans came afterwards with the al-Muhaidun (Almoadas) and the al-Murabitun (Almoravidas), of Morroccan origin, whose main recruiting grownds were in Ghana and Senegal, besides Morrocco of course. These armies came to the Iberian Peninsula from 1085AD so until then a Negro presence would be negligeable.

There is a thread over a parent issue somewhere in AE, you should read it.

As for the slaves' issue, most of the captured Morroccans were sold as slaves in Portugal and "Spain" itself, and were not shipped to the Americas, where slaves from the Gulf of Guinea or Angola were preferred instead. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 17:49
Originally posted by Reginmund

Yes, but keep in mind that the Arabs brought not only Berbers with them, but also people from Negroid tribes, both as soldiers and slaves. It's not entirely fair to say the term Moor never included Negroes, even if they were just a fringe element in Al-Andalus.

That's true, but theirs numbers and demographical significancy are much exagerated.

Originally posted by Reginmund

As for the word "moreno", my Spanish teacher (who's Spanish) used this word not only to denote people with brown skin but also people who had light skin and dark hair, as opposed to "rubio".

Your teacher is right. Any non-blond European but also most people in the world, including Arabs and American Indians, are just called "morenos".

But "Moro" has a direct link to Berberians of Morocco, Tunez, Algiers and Lybia. As I said before, the Kabyles, the largest Moor group, is the stereotype of the Moor, and not the Subsaharan African.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote asianprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 23:33
Thanks for all the replies. Reginmund, pinguin and calvo clarified alot.

So basically the Romans use to refer Black- Africans as Moors, but the Spanish used this term to refer Muslims, Arabs, Berbers and the Blacks they brought along.

I got another question. Are the Berbers "white" or Black? I mean Zidane looks "white", but I do know some Algerians who are "dark/ brown skin".  Can someone post a pic of how Berbers look like? Because honestly, I cant distinguise Berbers from Arabs.

Also East-Africans are lighter than Sub-Saharan Africans and they have different features. Does this has to do with Arab colonization?

Cheers.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 00:24
No the Romans used it as a term for North African inhabitants of Morena, not for sub-Saharan black africans. As Reginmund and other have pointed out. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 00:30
The Romans also meant Berbers when they talk about Moors. The Roman province of Mauritania is the region of Today's Maghbreb and NOT the country that addopted the name of Mauritania.

These are Berbers or "Moors" of the past and today

Image:Berbers.jpg

If they are White or Black is a matter of definition. However, most of them look pretty similar to Southern Spaniards, Italians and Greeks.

And these are Kabyles, Amazigh and Berbers of today:

Edited by pinguin - 08-Dec-2007 at 00:32
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 00:31
Originally posted by asianprince

So basically the Romans use to refer Black- Africans as Moors, but the Spanish used this term to refer Muslims, Arabs, Berbers and the Blacks they brought along.

I got another question. Are the Berbers "white" or Black? I mean Zidane looks "white", but I do know some Algerians who are "dark/ brown skin".  Can someone post a pic of how Berbers look like? Because honestly, I cant distinguise Berbers from Arabs.

Also East-Africans are lighter than Sub-Saharan Africans and they have different features. Does this has to do with Arab colonization?

Cheers.

No, the Romans referred to NORTH AFRICANS as Moors, not BLACK AFRICANS.
Just in case you don't know yet, until a few centuries ago, Black Africans lived almost exclusively south of the Saharan desert. The Berber and Punic people inhabitting NORTH AFRICA were "Mediterranean" in appearance, probably similar to Spaniards and southern Italians.
The Romans referred to these NORTH AFRICANS as MOORS.
The only black-skinned nationality that the Romans had dealt with extensively were the Nubians, who dwelled in Sudan and southern Egypt, and they weren't considered as "MOORS".

During the Middle Ages, when the Arabs colonised North Africa, they also traded with sub-saharan tribes where they bought a large number of black slaves. Only afterwards then did black Africans make an appearance in North Africa. Today many North Africans are mixed Arab-Berber-Black African, probably the with most dominant genetic element being Berber, but the dominant cultural element being Arab. However, the boundaries are not clear.
When a North African tells you that he is "Arab" and not "Berber", it means that culturally he is Arabic, that he speaks Arabic as a first language an identifies with Arab culture, but it doesn't mean that he has to be genetically descended from Middle Eastern immigrants.
Similarly, if he describes himself as "Berber", it means that culturally he is Berber.

The typical Moroccan and Algerian looks "Mediterranean", probably like Sicilians or slightly darker. In Spain, if a Moroccan spoke good enough Spanish he could usually pass himself off as a native Iberian.

Regarding East Africa, the question is that I don't know. But bearing in mind Sub-Saharan Africa is the most genetically and physionomically diverse region in the world, the genetic diversity among Black Africans is several times greater than the diversity among the rest of the world. Black skin is a result of adaptation to climate, and in parts of Africa where sunlight is not so strong it's only logical that the local inhabitants would be less "black".

I hope this answers your question.

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote asianprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 11:07
Originally posted by calvo

Originally posted by asianprince

Cheers.

No, the Romans referred to NORTH AFRICANS as Moors, not BLACK AFRICANS.
Just in case you don't know yet, until a few centuries ago, Black Africans lived almost exclusively south of the Saharan desert. The Berber and Punic people inhabitting NORTH AFRICA were "Mediterranean" in appearance, probably similar to Spaniards and southern Italians.
The Romans referred to these NORTH AFRICANS as MOORS.
The only black-skinned nationality that the Romans had dealt with extensively were the Nubians, who dwelled in Sudan and southern Egypt, and they weren't considered as "MOORS".

During the Middle Ages, when the Arabs colonised North Africa, they also traded with sub-saharan tribes where they bought a large number of black slaves. Only afterwards then did black Africans make an appearance in North Africa. Today many North Africans are mixed Arab-Berber-Black African, probably the with most dominant genetic element being Berber, but the dominant cultural element being Arab. However, the boundaries are not clear.
When a North African tells you that he is "Arab" and not "Berber", it means that culturally he is Arabic, that he speaks Arabic as a first language an identifies with Arab culture, but it doesn't mean that he has to be genetically descended from Middle Eastern immigrants.
Similarly, if he describes himself as "Berber", it means that culturally he is Berber.

The typical Moroccan and Algerian looks "Mediterranean", probably like Sicilians or slightly darker. In Spain, if a Moroccan spoke good enough Spanish he could usually pass himself off as a native Iberian.

Regarding East Africa, the question is that I don't know. But bearing in mind Sub-Saharan Africa is the most genetically and physionomically diverse region in the world, the genetic diversity among Black Africans is several times greater than the diversity among the rest of the world. Black skin is a result of adaptation to climate, and in parts of Africa where sunlight is not so strong it's only logical that the local inhabitants would be less "black".

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for answering my question.  Cheers.
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 12:51
No matter what colour they were, they created an amazing civilisaztion in Spain, just visit Granada and you will see.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 14:05
Originally posted by Vorian

No matter what colour they were, they created an amazing civilisaztion in Spain, just visit Granada and you will see.

It does matter. To get an idea you can see my pictures above.

The rulers of Spain were Arabs in origin. The famous Moors were Mulsims in general comming from the Middle East plus Maghrebians (Morrocans+Algerians+Tunicians+Lybians)

Moreover, 90% of the Muslims of Spain were local Iberians!

This question comes over and over again. I bet pseudo historian Ivan Van Sertima has made a lot of followers..

Edited by pinguin - 09-Dec-2007 at 14:06
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 14:18
Oh, I know they were white. Moorish Spain caught my attention many years ago, when I was about 12 and played the El Cid campaign in Age of Empires!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 14:36
They weren't Nordics. Maghrebians are quite close in phenotype to Southern Spaniards and Italians. There have been interchange of people from Europe, the Middle East and the Maghreb since 4.000 years ago. They are similar people.

End of mistery.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 17:21

They weren't Nordics. Maghrebians are quite close in phenotype to Southern Spaniards and Italians. There have been interchange of people from Europe, the Middle East and the Maghreb since 4.000 years ago.They are similar people.

Yes, to some extent, as there has been a great deal of contact across the Mediterranean. However, the Mediterranean also works as a barrier between people, and I wouldn't go as far as saying the southern Spanish and Italians are the same people as the North Africans biologically. Sure, some might be indistinguishable from the other, but you find certain phenotypes in Spain and Italy that are rarely found in North Africa, and vice versa. You will find characteristics among the North Africans that are similar to those of their neighbouring peoples in the south and east, Negroid and Semitic features that is, whereas in Spain and Italy you will find characteristics similar to that of their neighbours in the north, such as lighter hair and blue eyes. Semitic and Negroid features are however extremely rare in Italy and Spain, just as Nordic features are rare in North Africa. From my own experience (I've been to both Italy and Spain for extended periods) I'd say the further south you go in Italy and Spain the more people generally resemble North Africans (especially Sicily and Andalucia), whereas the further north you go the more they resemble Nordics. Italy is in my experience especially diverse; you find blondes, redheads and brunettetes as well as people with black hair.

Edited by Reginmund - 09-Dec-2007 at 17:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 17:27

Yes, there is a cline on there. However, a woman like her in the picture is quite common in Spain, Portugal, Italy (even France) and also all over Latin America.

She is a "Morena" (or "Moorish" girl). That's what we undestand by the word Moro anyways. And the girl in the picture is from the Maghreb and not Europe.

People with negroid features are called Black in Spanish, and not Moros.

Therefore the right question is not if Moors were Blacks at all, they weren't. The question is if there were Blacks in Spain, and the right answer is very few.

Edited by pinguin - 09-Dec-2007 at 17:30
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 17:29
Yes, people with light skin but dark hair are extremely hard to place. Even among the natives here in the far north you will find her type.

She is a "Morena" (or "Moorish" girl).

That's the etymology, but the way I understood it "morena" today is understood as a "dark girl", not "Moorish girl", even if that is the literal meaning.

Edited by Reginmund - 09-Dec-2007 at 17:34
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 17:35
Morena means brown, tanned girl, not Subsaharan African girl, but of European stock, Amerindian, Polynesian or East Asian.

It does not apply to Black people, except as a metaphor.

Edited by pinguin - 09-Dec-2007 at 17:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>