Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Al-Qaeda' Second Front

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Al-Qaeda' Second Front
    Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 00:21
I read about this long time ago, but Al-Qaeda is slowly on their way to establish bases in North Africa. Islamic influence in North Africa is strong, and transportation/communication in North Africa is reliable and effective due to poor government regulation. Forging alliance with African militants, the anti-terrorist nations, especially Europe, are vastly concerned with the Al-Qaeda influence in North Africa. It is easy for Al-Qaeda to infilterate into Europe and terrorize the Europeans compared their infilteration in US.

I'd like to hear what some of us has to say about this. Al-Qaeda even learned to bomb the embassies, knowing that inexperienced CIA intelligence start their network in foreign countries from embassies. While this is old news, the fact that Al-Qaeda are understanding how Americans fight kind of scares me.

Join us.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 21:08
Al Qaeda is a ghost that is used by western and eastern governments as the new boogyman of this age. There is no central offices, a defined command and control structure or even a base period wether it is known or unknown. All what there is is a group of terrorist organizations with little connection with each other that announced that they are in league with Al Qaeda and working for the same objective which is actually different for each organization.

Al-Jassas
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 21:25
I agree, but I use the term as an umbrella for groups with a similar ideology.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 12:52
The term umbrella is not exactly correct. Al Qaida's operative (those trained in Central Asia, although some came along Bin Laden to Sudan) have things other terrorist organizations lack. They enjoy a greater expertise in the financial matters, connections the world over, engineering know-how, etc.

the alliance thus represents more than a mere synchronization or the acceptance by local franchises of a global brand. There are four main theaters of operations in Northern Africa which each mean a different approach by the islamist militants and those fighting them.

When it comes to the risks of seeing al-Qaeda N. Africa into an islamist playground, threats have been overstated in my opinion in Niger, Mali and Morocco. Algeria hasn't gone back to its civil war days and the oil bonanza opens rather better prospects. Lybia and Tunisia look also out of arm reach. If Egypt was ruled by Taliban-like fellows it would be a major set back for the US and Europe but this is unlikely to happen in a recent future. The Horn of Africa has proved a much better place for the radical islamists to prosper but does any one really cares about Somalia?
Most of the region's governments have started integrating an increasing amount of charia-like laws to please the zealots which makes it all the less likely for them to turn into little Afghanistans (little Irans would be more likely).
I am a free donkey!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 14:06
Global brand, local touch! Pure genius!  So do you think that they share terrorism knowledge and best practice?  In which case rather than being a group of independent multi-domestic organisations, we can use the term transnational which denotes INTERdependence... Looks like they have been keeping up with the latest academic literature!

You just made my day, M.
bgturk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bgturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 10:28
Does anybody remember this hi-tech cave in Afghanistan which was supposed to serve as Al Qaeda's headquaters to guide its global war?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FGhGHxw0mSo

Did they actually find it?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 19:29
Moved to Modern History
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 14:27
al jaas,

your consirices theory regarding al qaeda and the west seem plausable and it would seem benifical for the west to one source on which to focus rather than lots of splinter cell which no doubt exsist due to the wide range of interprepation in Islam however tourism is senonmus with one man to the genral public, bin laden and that combine with 9 11 suggest to me that while there are many smaller groups the Al Qaeda is simply the largest of them and most well know.  

Edited by 02bburco - 26-Aug-2008 at 14:31
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 15:16
Hello 02bb

What I said isn't a "conspiracy theory", I stopped believing in them after 9/11. What I meant was simple. Certain western countries have an interest to inflate the threat of terrorism and Al-Qaeda because it is a convinient method to achieve certain goals, like the occupation of Iraq for example. Al-Qaeda is a real organization, yet it was of limited capability, what happened is it was turned into an international franchise because of what happened in 9/11. People in algeria won't support the GIA, so change the name into "Al-Qaeda in the Maghreb" and lo and behold, funds will start coming from ignorant people.

There is no coordination between all the groups that claim to be Al-Qaeda not a common goal, except killing as much people as they can. The original goal of Al-Qaeda has been always to topple the Saudi Regime but since such an idea has'nt become popular yet they turned on other targets hoping that one day this would be a plausible idea.

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 15:47
There is no coordination between all the groups that claim to be Al-Qaeda not a common goal, except killing as much people as they can. I agree with this that seems to be thier main aim

what happened is it was turned into an international franchise because of what happened in 9/11. People in algeria won't support the GIA, so change the name into "Al-Qaeda in the Maghreb" and lo and behold, funds will start coming from ignorant people. again sounds  plausible and likley

however I dont see the the west has a long term interest in occupying Iraq the two main contributers to the coalition the US and UK both have apopulation against it and thier are already scheduals for troop withdrawl they again was to remove dicatator and a threat and restore decomcracy not occupy the country, the citizen of the UK and US will not tolerate it.  
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 17:22
Hello 02

Sorry for not responding earlier. About the long term interests in occupying Iraq, well, have you seen Burn Up? There was a real scare about the size of reserves in Saudi Arabia when a disgruntled high official in Aramco who didn't get the promotion he wanted went and told people that the proven reserves are much less than what was previously thought, what made his claim seem credible was a new seismic survey in the eastern province, the reopening of old wells abandoned for financial reasons and other stuff. Well the guy was a financier and not an oil engineer or a geologists, what he didn't know tht there were 4 massive field all previously unknown were under developement two of them are now in production and the other two are been put in reserve. The proven reserves turned out to be much more than anticipated. However, despite all of this Saudi Arabia will reach peak output somehwere in 2020 with nearly 20 million barrels/day. this won't be for long and the production levels are going to be in 2030 less then what they are today, probably of course. Now if this will happen to the biggest oil produces what will happen to the small ones? Already Oman, the UAE, Qatar and Bahrain consume more than what they export and many wells have dried up in Bahrain, Oman and Iran. Dubai Now imports oil from neighbours. With Iraq and Iran both having as much, or probably even more as some new studies suggest, as Saudi Arabia then securing Oil will be important. If you are dreaming of the return to 4 pound petrol then dream again, those are long gone days.

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 17:57
I dont doubt about the oil and how it would undoubtably provide ample motive for the occpation of Iraq long term my only issue is that the populations of the respective countries will not stand for it there was a protest of 1m people in london and protest in the US and it has cast a stain on both blair and bush tie in office and basing my reasoning on the fact the only think politicain like more than money is staying in office, i think they will have to pull out eventually.

N.B. Obama's position on Iraq is a pullout timetable wereas Mcains is stay till the end and as UK wont stay without US i would suggest the result of the election wil be cruical regardin western future in iraq.  
Turenne View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Turenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 14:09
Originally posted by Zagros

I agree, but I use the term as an umbrella for groups with a similar ideology.

Even this is open to debate.  I remember that Zarqaoui and Osama Ben Laden were not actually close in terms of ideology.  Al Qaida is to my eyes a name a terrorist can claim to win a little more credibility.

Edited by Turenne - 18-Sep-2008 at 14:11

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I attack."

Ferdinand Foch
 Post Reply Post Reply