Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Siam and Imperial Russia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Siam and Imperial Russia
    Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 03:40

The kingdom of Thailand had very cordial relations with Russian empire in the second half of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century.

Some interesting facts AFAIK are that the uniform of the Thai royal guards was copied from the uniform of the Russian imperial guards.

Even the music for the anthem of Siam was composed by the Russian composer, Piotr Shurovsky.

I wonder what is the view of the Thailand's "Russian connection" from the South East Asian perspective?
Σαυρομάτης
TheMysticNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheMysticNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2007 at 10:40
That's easy, Sarmat12: would you believe the Thais originated in Central Asia as steppe nomads who eventually migrated into S.E. Asia?  It's true.  I'm looking for more sources on this subject, though, as I have only come across one.  It's a book on Southeast Asia published in 1963 by Time Life Books, written by Stanley Karnow.

Also, did anyone notice that some of the Thai names sound vaguely Slavic?  I'm referring to Thai surnames that end in "-ich," just like some Russian names.

Edited by TheMysticNomad - 16-Dec-2007 at 11:15
Unify All Countries!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2007 at 14:43
Originally posted by TheMysticNomad

Also, did anyone notice that some of the Thai names sound vaguely Slavic?  I'm referring to Thai surnames that end in "-ich," just like some Russian names.

An interesting theory, I'd be interested in seeing some examples?
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 01:17
Originally posted by TheMysticNomad

That's easy, Sarmat12: would you believe the Thais originated in Central Asia as steppe nomads who eventually migrated into S.E. Asia?  It's true.  I'm looking for more sources on this subject, though, as I have only come across one.  It's a book on Southeast Asia published in 1963 by Time Life Books, written by Stanley Karnow.

Dear MysticNomad,

Honestly, I wouldn't believe that Smile Sounds like kinda fantastic theory to me. And even if it's true it doesn't mean that there should be any connection to Russians, perhaps more to Mongols or Kazakhs then.

I would however listen to more your elaborations on this.

Thank you.
Σαυρομάτης
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 01:45
The origin of the Thais has long been theorised on and utilized as properganda by various Thai governments.  However the National Museum of Thailand now in answer to this has an excellent exhibit  telling the story of the Tai back to pre-historic times with archaeological evidence. They originated as a distinctive group between 2000-5000 years ago in Northern Thailand, Lao and Northern Burma. The Northern Burmese Tai became the Shan State today, the Lao Tai are the nation of Lao, the Northern Thailand Tai expanded south, became the Siamese and today the Thai.

Edited by Paul - 20-Dec-2007 at 01:46
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 02:15
Yes, Paul. This theory is very natural and logic compare to the IMO fantastic Central Asian theory of Thai origins.

This kind of theory reminded me of one crazy book I once saw in Taiwan which title was nothing less than "Taiwanese are direct descendants of Ancient Egyptians."

Smile

But how about the relations between the Russian Empire and Siam in 19th, 20th centuries?
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply