Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of Trafalgar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Avieno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Avieno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle of Trafalgar
    Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 14:43
 Great animation:

What do you think of the animation and about the battle?
Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 13:11
Don't recall one ship ever being surrounded by 5-6 others during the battle. The animation was good but a bit grainy on my screen. Also a bit "pro-Spanish" for my taste, but seeing where it comes from I suppose that's to be expected.Big%20smile 
Avieno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Avieno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 14:25
The graining is probably because youtube does not admit higher resolution.

Pro spanish? I see no "pro-spanish" images in the animation.

Do you refer to the fact that in the final doesn't appear the victorious english?

What does people think about the battle? It was merit of the english or wrong work of the spanish-french fleet?
Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 17:24
Okay, the opening shot of the Spanish fleet [the Royal Navy would never anchor it's ships like that! Big%20smile] All the officers depicted are in either French or Spanish naval uniform and there's the Spanish Man o' War sailing into the sunrise/sunset.

British appear, battle, etc.

Cut to shot of Spanish ship [red hull as far as I could see] circled by five British ships, getting shot up [wouldn't need that many RN ships to take on a Spaniard! Tongue]. The hulk then sinks in a heavy swell.

Seriously, it's a good bit of animation. I liked it. As regards Trafalgar itself, that's more Napoleon's fault than anything else. He virtually forced  Villeneuve into sailing into an unnecessary fight.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 10:45
Briefly the British won the battle through superior training, experience and battle tactics.

The Spanish and French fought bravely but they were outclassed
Avieno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Avieno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 18:15
Originally posted by Challenger2

Okay, the opening shot of the Spanish fleet [the Royal Navy would never anchor it's ships like that! Big%20smile] All the officers depicted are in either French or Spanish naval uniform and there's the Spanish Man o' War sailing into the sunrise/sunset.

British appear, battle, etc.

Cut to shot of Spanish ship [red hull as far as I could see] circled by five British ships, getting shot up [wouldn't need that many RN ships to take on a Spaniard! Tongue]. The hulk then sinks in a heavy swell.

Seriously, it's a good bit of animation. I liked it. As regards Trafalgar itself, that's more Napoleon's fault than anything else. He virtually forced  Villeneuve into sailing into an unnecessary fight.

Sorry, but I understand that you can describe as "pro-spanish" the video if it would have a different final of the battle or so, but not including that details you mention.

About the uniforms, that's not "pro-spanish". Simply the author of the video, a spanish guy, took the pictures he knew, which are in spanish books or museums. That's natural.

As I see, you don't know about the battle itself. It is probably that the spanish-french fleet, "anchored" in front of Cdiz like in the video (the Royal Navy is the one which attacks in two columns, nor the one "anchored") began to shot the ships ahead them.

About the spanish ship rounded by several english ships, that's totally true. The stories of the battle shows that at least the spanish ships "Santsima Trinidad" and the "San Juan Nepomuceno" were rounded by several english ships and pestered of shots. They were practically destroyed. The "Santsima Trinidad" were the biggest ship over the seas in their time. It had four floors, 140 cannons and was known as the "Fortress of the seas" by the english and "El Escorial de los Mares" by the spanish. They were anxious to hunt it. With his commander, the captain Francisco Javier de Uriarte y Borja, sunk two english ships in Trafalgar and obligated to surrender one, but it was practically destroyed with 700 dead by the english ships. The english tried to transport it to Gibraltar as a war trophy, but it sunk itself due to its flaws.

The ship that appears at the beginning of the battle shooting is the "Santsima Trinidad", with four floors of cannons. Here is a 3D reconstruction of the ship (and here) and a simulator for Virtual Sailor 6.5. Today it exist a reconstruction in Mlaga that is a popular restaurant.

The other practically destroyed ship was the "San Juan Nepomuceno", with the Commander Cosme Damin de Churruca. It was captured and towed to Gibraltar by the english. In the moment of its capture, there were probably five or six english ships shooting it.

The episode of this two ships was due because many spanish and french ships left the battle very soon in direction to Cdiz. So a very few number of ships remained to fight against the english.

Another thing: It was unusual that english boarded enemy boats. They usually cannonade them until surrender or destruction.

About the battle, I agree that Napoleon failed in his obsession to fight England. The Admiral Villeneuve never knew how to fight against the english.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 15:49
I'm unaware that any British ships were sunk at Trafalgar. Which ones were they ?
Avieno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Avieno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 18:51
Originally posted by Peteratwar

I'm unaware that any British ships were sunk at Trafalgar. Which ones were they ?

Ups, you are right, no english ships were sunk at Trafalgar.

Only the "Victory", "Royal Sovereing", "Temeraire", "Bellerophon", "Belleisle", "Africa" y "Tonnant" suffered serious damages and were towed to port.
egfroth View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote egfroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2008 at 07:18
Originally posted by Avieno

The episode of this two ships was due because many spanish and french ships left the battle very soon in direction to Cdiz. So a very few number of ships remained to fight against the english.

I don't agree with that. The Franco-Spanish vanguard was largely unable to take part in the battle and eventually left for Cadiz, but the centre and rear were pretty much destroyed. Only 11 ships reached Cadiz - the English captured or sank 22.

Edited by egfroth - 02-Jan-2008 at 07:46
 Post Reply Post Reply