Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why don't my Ctrl keys work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why don't my Ctrl keys work?
    Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 05:33
Would anyone have any ideas on why my Ctrl keys don't work and how I could possibly fix them?

At first I thought it must just be dirty underneath but I don't think it would be that cause both Ctrl keys don't work yet the keys around them do. Is there a place in control panel or something like that that has the settings for the keys that could be affecting them or something?
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 19:48
Get a new keyboard silly. Winktongue
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 19:46
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Get a new keyboard silly. Winktongue

To be honest dear that was not that great an idea, I mean what if then your laptop keyboard gets the same problem?

As far as Balaam,
Dear I don't now if my suggestion will help you or not but for sure I would ask you to try it before going for a new keyboard, as just getting a new stuff instead of fixing the old on is not a great idea what if the same problem come again and agian.... soon you will have a bulk of keyboards under your bed.

Dear the problem could be that your CTRL keys have been mapped to null character.
I guess it will sound a bet gizmo if you don't know about computers but anyway all you have to do is to go to your Registry by typing regedit in Run on start menu.

From there proceed to following path.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

once you click on Keyboard Layout (check out for Keyboard Layouts, don't change anything there) there on the right hand pane you will see a Binary by the name of Scancode Map, double click on it and just paste/overwrite the following numbers there.

00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,1d,e0,1d,00,1d,00,1d,e0,00,00,00,00
(don't use the commas as its for your understanding of the code.)

Exit from registry and you are done.

That's a small trick we used to do when we were in first semester, we just mapped the entire keyboard to any Alphabet (ex. G) and what ever key you stroked only (G) was typed and people used to change their keyboards.... that was fun for some time...

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 12:12
Hello Gharanai, one thing about your suggestion is that I can't find the Scancode Map once I get to Keyboard Layout. When I click on Keyboard Layout the only thing I get is this: (I'm screen shoting cause it would probably be easier than trying to describe everything)

In those DosKeybCodes and DosKeybIDs folders contain a heap of files that are named with just numbers but I can't find Scancode Map in any of them.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 15:03
Just press control alt delete and reset your computer..

Glad to be of help! Hard%20Working
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 19:26
Originally posted by Dolphin

Are you being sarcastic here Mr.Dolphin? Tongue
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 04:14
Hahahaha!!!! Good one Dolphin!LOL
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 04:29

I fail to see how the task manager would help me and if it was a matter of restarting the computer then it would have been fixed the day after the problem first occured.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 09:11
Originally posted by Balaam

Hello Gharanai, one thing about your suggestion is that I can't find the Scancode Map once I get to Keyboard Layout. When I click on Keyboard Layout the only thing I get is this: (I'm screen shoting cause it would probably be easier than trying to describe everything) 

Then dear just right click on the right hand pane and select binary key, rename if to Scancode Map and enter the values which I told you before.
Wish that may help or if you still are not able to do soo, PM me your email address and  I will just make a registry update for you and you just run it by double clicking it and once registry is updated then restart your computer.

General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 16:39
Originally posted by Balaam

I fail to see how the task manager would help me and if it was a matter of restarting the computer then it would have been fixed the day after the problem first occured.
Balaam I can understand you frustration...but it  is a good joke. Just buy a $20 keyboard. Like use it for a tempo.  Then save up for a better one, or get ur's fixed.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 00:59
Punch in the key harder, how else?Sleepy

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply