Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lonbow vs. Crossbow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Which was better, the longbow or the crossbow, and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [61.76%]
11 [32.35%]
2 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lonbow vs. Crossbow
    Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 20:59
I root for the longbow. They were wicked against the French in the Hundred Years War.
Crusader3943
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 21:11
I'd go for the cross bow. Much better at armour piercing and looks cool to boot.
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 04:25
I'd say the battle for Crecy answers that question. Crossbows tended to have more punch and ranch than a longbow may have had, but the difference maker lies more in the rate of fire. An English longbowman was expected to be able to fire six well-aimed shots in a minute. That rate of fire is easily beyond the rate of any useful crossbow of the era. At Crecy the English fielded about 5000 archers. That's roughly 30,000 arrows per minute, which is more than enough to make up for the difference in piercing. As a result the English archers dominated the Genoese Crossbowmen.

My vote is for the longbow: an excellent combination of piercing power, range and rate of fire.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 05:06
I cannot vote, so I'll just post my opinion: Longbow. Different considerations need to be taken, and circumstances, but overall I think the Longbow was superior. 
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 06:12
I agree. The longbow remained a staple of English forces until the gunpowder-era. if the crossbow was more effective, it was have succeeded the longbow before firearms. And how odd those battles must have been; an unceasing hail of arrows accompanied by the earth-shattering roar of bombards... a fellow couldn't get a break against those bloody English!
Although, by the 1500's, and definitely by the 1600's, the longbow was phased out by the far-less efficient muskets/harbequeses... a strange phenomena. Perhaps the increased amount of armor worn by  the common foot soldier (steel breastplate and steel helmet, largely); but Ben Franklin stated that had the colonials used longbows instead of rifles they could have won the Revolutionary war far earlier, and I see some sense in this; higher rate of fire than any musket (by a long shot!), greater accuracy, greater range, enemy troops wearing no armor... makes sense, I figure.
Cheers
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 06:38
I wouldn't vote for either. I think they were different tools made for different purposes. Let's first look at the advantages.

Longbow - Good ROF, Cheap (relatively), fearsome reputation (hence why the French threatened to cut off the fingers of bowman caught), good range, fairly good penetration power.

Crossbow - Fearsome reputation (the Church attempted to have the weapon banned from the battlefields), very good penetration power, damn accurate (often used as assasination/sniper weapons), easy to learn to operate.

Disadvantages:

Longbow - Took years of training to master (something Ben Franklin didn't take into account), less accurate than the crossbow.

Crossbow - More expensive to manufacture than the longbow, slow ROF.

The longbow was great for mass battles and was used to pelt the enemy units from a distance, shooting over the heads of your own guys.

For pure stopping power however, nothing beats the crossbow. Direct line of fire is the way it's used and have a guy practice for one day to be able to call himself a crossbow-man. And nobleman beware the crossbow hidden in the tower, aimed at you while you walk on the ground outside your enemy's walls.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 07:08
Both are bad. My vote goes for composite bow, of course  (but it's not on the list) Big%20smile 
Σαυρομάτης
Endre Fodstad View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Endre Fodstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 13:57
Bloody silly poll. They have completely different strengths.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 14:22
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Both are bad. My vote goes for composite bow, of course  (but it's not on the list) Big%20smile 

dude we can't all have the composite bow

I vote for teh long bow

I wonder what would happen if you made a composite bow same size as a long bow Big%20smile
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 16:26
the problem of the longbow is that the soldiers were traind from when they were young and it was hard to replace them...insted the crossbow could be used by a farmer and could kill anyone
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 16:28
Recently saw on the history channel (what else is new, eh?) a comparison between the longbow and composite, hunnish, bow. Both were models. Some type of speedometer thing timed the arrows. The Hun bow was faster by a few mph. To top it off the narrator also explained that his model was, most likely, not be as powerful as the real thing.

Neither here nor there since this thread is about longbows versus crossbows, I would say the preferences are terrain and battle dependant.
As a cluster buster of dense humanity, go for the longbow from a distance. To hit speedy cavalry and pentrate armor, go for the crossbow. The Steppe warriors had not been as fearful of any bow except for the dreaded crossbow. 
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 16:38
OK there two blokes in heavy platemail running at you.

If you have a crossbow, you shoot one, hope he's either wounded or dead, you then drop the crossbow and run like crap from the other.

If you have a longbow, you shoot the one on the left half a dozen times, then the one on the right half a dozen times. hope they're both wounded or dead, otherwise drop the bow and run like crap.

If you have a composite bow, you just drop the bow and run like crap.

Edited by Paul - 13-Nov-2007 at 16:39
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 16:41
Originally posted by Paul

If you have a crossbow, you shoot one, hope he's either wounded or dead, you then drop the crossbow and run like crap from the other.

If you have a longbow, you shoot the one on the left half a dozen times, then the one on the right half a dozen times. hope they're both wounded or dead, otherwise drop the bow and run like crap.

haha...
but a crossbow could be used by anyone the longbow no

Edited by Illirac - 13-Nov-2007 at 16:41
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 16:57

Uhmm uhmm

to be correct if you have a compiste bow you ride like crap Big%20smile
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 17:39
Originally posted by Illirac

the problem of the longbow is that the soldiers were traind from when they were young and it was hard to replace them...insted the crossbow could be used by a farmer and could kill anyone

Could but they were not.

Crossbowmen were typically professional mercenaries with high pay. They usually could afford to have two assistants or apprentices and several crossbows. The assistants would reload and carry the pavise and other supplies leaving the crossbowman to do the actual shooting.

Military crossbows - the ones that could equal or exceed the longbow in penetration power - were expensive and limited by the number of craftsmen with the mechanical skills to create the winching mechanisms used to draw the prod.

Typical crossbows, used for hunting etc, had a simple drawing mechanism consisting of a stirrup at the end of a crossbow and a hook used to draw. They could not achieve the same penetrative power as longbows without a winch. The prod is very short, usually around two to three feet, and cannot release energy as efficiently as a six foot staff. A winch overcomes this problem by a vastly greater input of force into the draw, but without a windlass mechanism of some sort, a crossbow does not have the penetration of a longbow.

For instance, a crossbow that pulls 200lbs actually only imparts as much force to its shot as a longbow that pulls 80lbs. In the period in which Crecy was fought, crossbows averaged around 100-120 lbs draw, while longbows averaged 80-120 lbs. By the time of Cortes' conquest of Mexico, steel arbalests could achieve 5000lbs of draw! But they hadn't been invented in the time of the Battle of Crecy.

In that era, crossbows' main advantages over the longbow were not penetration or range, but the fact that they could be kept cocked without any exertion on the shooter's part. This meant they were ideally suited for sniping during sieges, but they were not very useful in field battles.

Edited by edgewaters - 13-Nov-2007 at 17:47
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 17:42

First off that bloke best have a few spare parts or have his warranty handy if he survives. I don't know the time it takes to reload a crossbow, it would make a diff. Then again, crossbow dudes best fight in a group of many to cover eachother's hides.

The longbow still would take stime to load and fire. Still, a good source in firing projectiles at the kinghts in crashing armor. By the time one locks and loads though, the crossbow bloke would take out his spare and have his serf do the loading.

The composite bow was mostly a Steppe thing. The users were raised in the saddle and the good ones could fire off arrows at a very quick rate. Mamlukes tended to fire while stationary while traditional steppe riders fired on the move as well.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 17:52
I think you guys are confusing recurve bows with composite bows. Composite bows are just any bows made with composite materials. Many types of composite bows are inferior to self-staff bows, and composite bows were widely used in Europe prior to the appearance of the longbow. Recurve bows are a different thing altogether. Most of them happened to be composite, but composite bows are not necessarily recurve.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 17:58
True to a point edgewaters. Composite bows were diverse materials. That's how they made 'em in the Steppes too. However, a long tree was needed to carve out a longbow since it was not composite. Adding to which a recurved bow tended to be composite. Style and substance.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 19:14
i vote for the crossbow for the same reason i would prefer muskets over bows. as for Pauls comparison, well out of the three the composite bow is the fastest and in terms of penetration ranks between crossbow and longbow. the only advantage of the longbow is the long range and rate of fire (compared to x-bow). the longbow only prooved deadly against unarmoured or mail-clad opponents. the hail of arrows is like a rain of razor blades. the longbow has no decent penetration power, at least on short distances.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 00:13
Originally posted by Eondt

Disadvantages:

Longbow - Took years of training to master (something Ben Franklin didn't take into account), less accurate than the crossbow.

What did Ben Franklin experience or write about concerning longbows?  Please elaborate for it sounds interesting.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>