Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Britain declining?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: Is Britain declining?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [21.21%]
5 [15.15%]
20 [60.61%]
1 [3.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Britain declining?
    Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 00:22
Originally posted by King John

Where are you getting the idea that nobody knew you before Allende and that nobody knows you now after Pinochet? You really need to stop this "woe is me" attitude about your country. Where do you get the image of Chile living outside the world?

From BBC. They only speak about the "Anglosaxon" countries (Britain, Canada, U.S., Australia, New Zealand), Europe, Africa (Botswana, South Africa, Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leona, name it), Asia, particularly China and India, the Middle East,.....

Well, to be fair, once in a while, just like a curiosity, they made a documentry about Bolivia and in the background they put Argentinean music, or about Chiloe-Chile and in the Background they put Brazilian Samba-Music... In any case, when those special events happens (once evere thre years more or less) I am so excited that record them LOL

Edited by pinguin - 16-Nov-2007 at 00:28
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 00:27
Originally posted by elenos

Why would the rest of the world care about Chile? Because it it is part of the world and shares in the ups and downs of progress into an uncertain future. The place is filled with unrealized potential once a stable form of government is finally established. Building a lasting form of government has been a major problem. Leadership throughout South America only lasts for the term of one individual, whereas in Britain they have a long history of a strong civil service that manages to keep government excesses in check and holds an invisible balance of power.

LOL. Sorry to laugh, but we have a tradition of democracy that is almost two century old. Our main problem hasn't been lack of desire for democracy, but POVERTY. Only since the middle of the 70s Chile found at last its path to development. What happened with Pinochet was exceptional rather than the rule, and he lost the power anyways, simple because he couldn't stay forever in power in a country like ours. We would have killed him otherwise. We have tried already once.

The only think we need is more money, and its comming.

Originally posted by elenos

Personally if there were an untouched  backwater left in the world that time had forgotten I would want to go and live there for the rest of my life. Perhaps that is your secret, pinqin, you want to keep it all to yourself!

Yeap. For us, our country is a little paradyse and secret. We do love our country more for the landscape than from anything else. You can't be indiferent with nature living in here.

Edited by pinguin - 16-Nov-2007 at 00:28
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 02:23
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by King John

Where are you getting the idea that nobody knew you before Allende and that nobody knows you now after Pinochet? You really need to stop this "woe is me" attitude about your country. Where do you get the image of Chile living outside the world?

From BBC. They only speak about the "Anglosaxon" countries (Britain, Canada, U.S., Australia, New Zealand), Europe, Africa (Botswana, South Africa, Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leona, name it), Asia, particularly China and India, the Middle East,.....

Is that a surprise?

Britain has strong ties to almost all of it's former colonies and dominions, many Britons still live in those nations, many of them have English as a major language, have similar systems of government and law. It's reasonable then that the BBC focuses on those countries. The commonwealth exists and it's members in general share a close relationships to each other.

It is not the responsibility of the BBC to highlight every backwater on the planet to suit you, you don't pay a penny to keep the BBC going, I and every other working Briton does. Therefore the BBC ought to broadcast what the paying public is interested in seeing and our ties to the colonies are particular points of interest for the public. Hence why their are so many documentaries on the BBC about India, Pakistan, Africa and so on.

Since when though is China and the middle east Anglo-Saxon? Confused 
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 02:52

Good. This backwater person is not interested in continue seeing BBC, and the shanty towns and jungles in the commonwealth, anymore. So, I will take out BBC then from my cable package....

I preffer to pay for CNN in Spanish, or TVE (Spanish TV) because they show M Y   people. In there I see how Hispanics live in the United States, how Iberia and Brazil are doing, and interesting countries like GERMANY

Just tell people of BBC next time they go to Machu Picchu to make a documentary about llamas, that change the Colombian tune for something less exotic Big%20smile

Edited by pinguin - 16-Nov-2007 at 02:53
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 03:23
I have had a lifelong fascination about how other people live and watch SBS much of the time. (The Australian multi-cultural TV channel) and watch lots of those films with subtitles at the bottom. Admittedly the BBC can make an awful mess of travel programs but sometimes you get a real feeling for a place that American TV never seem to quite capture. German TV can be really good, they have the most backpackers in the world.
elenos
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 03:55

Good. This backwater person is not interested in continue seeing BBC, and the shanty towns and jungles in the commonwealth, anymore. So, I will take out BBC then from my cable package....

I preffer to pay for CNN in Spanish, or TVE (Spanish TV) because they show M Y   people. In there I see how Hispanics live in the United States, how Iberia and Brazil are doing, and interesting countries like GERMANY

Just tell people of BBC next time they go to Machu Picchu to make a documentary about llamas, that change the Colombian tune for something less exotic Big%20smile

Seriously tell me since when is China Anglo-Saxon? I need to see your argument for this, it's AE gold for certain.

By the way do you intentionally play upto the role of a crank or does it all come naturally?
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 11:04
pinguin if you want to talk about british decline the bbc would be a very good place to start your arguement, and as far as the bbc is concerned id have to say it is not what it once was, i rarely watch it atall these days, the world service and a few radio stations are the only things id rate as valuable about its existance.
long live the king of bhutan
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 11:17
what the rest of the world thinks about chile is worthless when compared what you know about chile.
In the same way what people think about britain is worthless when compared to what i know.

wherever you come from on this site, if you can look around your country and get a sence that where you are heading as a nation is better than where you have been be happy and help it on its way.

If you look around your country and see that where it is heading is worse than where it has been, be a catalyst to try and alter its course, thats easier said than done obviously but at the end of the day its a chance to do great things, be it in a small way or a big way, its what forms the bread and butter of history, and who knows in a hundred years our grand kids  be starting a thread on AE about what you achieved, blame solves nothing pinguin, soloutions solve everything, thats all life is, a constant search for soloutions.
long live the king of bhutan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 13:04
Originally posted by longshanks31

pinguin if you want to talk about british decline the bbc would be a very good place to start your arguement, and as far as the bbc is concerned id have to say it is not what it once was, i rarely watch it atall these days, the world service and a few radio stations are the only things id rate as valuable about its existance.

Nope. I admire BBC. It is pretty good. The only point I was making was that BBC focus on Europe, Australia, Africa, Asia, North America and the Middle East, and never ever remembers there is a continent that has 20% of the land and 8% of world people, that is more prosperous than most of the third world, and that also exist.
Yes, sometimes they mention Mayans, Aztecs or Incas. They even show once in a while a conflict in Colombia or Chiapas. However, I hardly see in there a Latin American city, a subway or an aircraft manufacturer...

We do not exist for BBC Confused
HaloChanter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 14:28
Chile is a small country, isolated, we are fine.

We learn long ago to distrust foreigners, and so we are.

And we don't give information for free. I just remember when our president Lagos send an order for twenty traditional chamantos for the meeting of the APEC some years ago. Chamantos are silk and hand made poncho-like clothes that are used by the Chilean cowboy. With what passion the weavers made those clothes during the half year of work they demanded. The ladies were so proud they were going to give to such important personalities.

And they gave the chamantos to the foreign presidents.... Just to be the target of fun by the foreign press and those dumb presidents that looked ashamed wearing them for the official photo. They talk about Clink Eastwood and Mexican cowboys Confused. Never trust a gringo. Wink

So, our things are ours. Not your business. Sorry. Info is available in the web.

- That was the oddest reply I've ever read on these forums, thus far.

Edited by HaloChanter - 16-Nov-2007 at 14:29
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 14:45
Originally posted by HaloChanter

Chile is a small country, isolated, we are fine.

We learn long ago to distrust foreigners, and so we are.

And we don't give information for free. I just remember when our president Lagos send an order for twenty traditional chamantos for the meeting of the APEC some years ago. Chamantos are silk and hand made poncho-like clothes that are used by the Chilean cowboy. With what passion the weavers made those clothes during the half year of work they demanded. The ladies were so proud they were going to give to such important personalities.

And they gave the chamantos to the foreign presidents.... Just to be the target of fun by the foreign press and those dumb presidents that looked ashamed wearing them for the official photo. They talk about Clink Eastwood and Mexican cowboys Confused. Never trust a gringo. Wink

So, our things are ours. Not your business. Sorry. Info is available in the web.

- That was the oddest reply I've ever read on these forums, thus far.

Pinguin seemed a bit agitated here.....

It seems all foreigners might qualify as Gringos, or maybe he has seen too many Clink (sic.) Eastwood movies.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 14:52
LOL
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 14:53

LOL

LOL
HaloChanter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 15:01

LOL

LOL

- LOL
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 15:23
So, apart from these nice laughs, what is our conclusion, is Britain declining, or not?Big%20smile
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 15:41
The yardstick being ?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 15:46
Originally posted by Larus

So, apart from these nice laughs, what is our conclusion, is Britain declining, or not?Big%20smile

I am certain Britain is declining as a superpower with respect to new candidates. However, as a country, is doing pretty well. Better than Italy, Russia and Portugal, anyways Wink
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 19:16
I am not very knowledgable about politics and geo-strategic, geo-political theory/thought and such.  But I would say that britain declined after WWII by quite a great amount.  It was and is no longer a superpower, I don't know much about economics either so I have no idea if britain is still in decline. 

Perhaps compared to countries like russia and china it might be, but one thing that has to be taken into account is the unique situation of britains history.  Here was a small island nation that was just remarkably stronger than it should have been based on population and national resources.  Once the rest of the world caught up with it technologically speaking it already had an enormous empire.  The empire is now gone, but it has the "dominions"/friendly nations like canada, australia etc.  So, one could argue, in a sense the empire still does exist.  When you talk about britain you really are not just talking about the island off europe, you have to take into account all the "british" nations that still have very close ties to the mother country.

I might have missed it but; it depends on the criteria for how the "decline" is judged.  Is this economical, military, morally, culturally, a combination...?  Immigration certainly factors into this, not sure if thats a negative or not, but a factor nonetheless.

Edited by Justinian - 16-Nov-2007 at 19:17
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 20:17

Originally posted by Larus

I am certain Britain is declining as a superpower with respect to new candidates. However, as a country, is doing pretty well. Better than Italy, Russia and Portugal, anyways Wink

Britain isn't a superpower anyway, the United States is the only true superpower in the world, compared to countries of similar size and population, Britain is doing just fine and is showing no signs of declining any more or any faster than anybody else.

Britain declined 60 years ago, but not anymore, this country eventually evolved into a new Britain, different from the old one, it's a stable viable nation capable of maintaining it's place among the most powerful and influential countries.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 20:23
Justinian, i thought i understood it to be about our modern day post-cold war world? I can't just  take what the BBC says at face value, or most other news orgs. for that matter! They continuously leave so much out of context, that it is up to the disadvantaged consumer too make up their own minds as to what the narrative was really all about in the first place.

If we want to believe that Britain is declining, then we accept the reports at face value. If we do the research ourseleves, then we find most of what we see or read is greatly exaggerated to a remarkable degree! Maybe i am the only one here who feels this way? But i really feel sorry for the modern day news consumer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>