Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Britain declining?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Is Britain declining?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [21.21%]
5 [15.15%]
20 [60.61%]
1 [3.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Britain declining?
    Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 13:50
Originally posted by Mughaal

Britain is declining because a loss of morality, family values, loss of what is Britishness (immigration) and finally they just tired themselves out.

It's not exactly as if regions where 'morality' and 'familiy values' (whatever those may be) are upheld are much more powerful.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 14:44
Originally posted by Reginmund

Ah yes, another one of pinguin's Britain-bashing threads, hyping the virtues of his beloved banana-republics of Latin America in a favourable comparison with the perfidious and bellicose Europeans,
whose inevitable decline will soon bring them death and misery, God willing. 

The topic is interesting enough, but the premise isn't.

What a delightful use of language, which gets at the heart of the motivation behind this thread.

I think to expect a small island off the coast of Europe to continue to compete economically, militarily and politically against nations many times its size and resources (Russia, China, USA) is fairly unrealistic.

On an economic level, Britain is still very powerful. Next to the USA, they are home to the second largest number of companies which are part of the richest 100 multinational corporations in the world. Britain's currency is still powerful, enough that she does not need to take up the Euro (yet). As a nation which had to transform itself from global Empire to island state, Britain has done rather well at reinventing herself.

Militarily, she still boasts an impressive navy and airforce. Her special forces (critical in today's world) are among the very best in the world, many would argue the best. She is one of only a handful of nuclear armed powers. Aside from some troubles in Northern Ireland and recent Islamist terrorism, the UK enjoys overall domestic stability.

Politically, Britain still enjoys a great deal of prestige and influence. She is a permanent security council member, she is part of the EU, she is central to the Commonwealth (which as a post-imperialist organisation has done remarkably well). British culture in the form of the English language, media productions, history and academic works enjoy widespread consumption. Britain has won all major wars she has fought in the past 100 years.

Since the industrial revolution, power was inevitably going to gravitate towards the larger states with bigger populations and more material resources. Prior to the 19th century, Britain was still able to enjoy global success as the superpower of the day thanks to her excellent navy, decent amount of urbanisation and technological innovation, and a political structure which was designed for a flexible approach to colonial affairs. The arrival of the railway enabled nations like the USA, Russia and China to finally properly exploit the vast resources which lay in their interior. As these countries urbanised, they too provided their people with more motivation to innovate technologically. The rise of nationalism and improvements in small arms capabilities enabled colonised territories to throw off domination by the European powers - not so much a problem for larger nations ruthless or wealthy enough to curb minority secession. But for Britain, this was a problem.

The decline of the British Empire overseas was an inevitability because of these factors. Britain itself could not be harvested for the resources which prop up the large superpowers of today, nor could her overseas possessions any longer be held by force given that the British population within the Empire was itself a minority, not large enough to suppress all insurrections. The End of Empire is something the British can be proud of. At a time when communism was spreading rapidly, the British rather quickly handed over independence and so avoided Marxism spreading to the overwhelming majority of her colonies. Rather than fight a protracted, embarassing and ultimately unsuccessful campaign to hold onto the Empire like France tried, the British instead relinquished it rather peacefully. She did what was in the best interests of herself and her subject peoples with that move.

So faced with the inevitability of loss of Empire, the small island off the coast of Europe instead concentrated on reinventing herself in a post-imperial world. Britain has only endured as much decline as was inevitable. With the above achievements concerning her current strengths, I think it is remarkable that the small island has done quite so well.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 14:50
Originally posted by Mughaal

Their military isnt so great. They may have the technology, but dont have the will to fight.

And on what do you base that slandrous statement ?
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 15:16
Britan is not declining...the fact that other "poor" nations are improving more then Britan it's logical...they had nothing and they are rising their economy...Britan economy is strong and it's improving slowly...no it's not declining, other nations will surpass Britan thats for sure..maybe will decline when a hard war starts out...but Britan has powerfull alliasWink
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 18:18

London is the world's leading financial centre, along with NY, and I think that speaks enough in itself.  If you have the right skills, there will always be good jobs there.  That some people are too blind to see the opportunities before them speaks more about those people and their upbringing than any amount of immigrants.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 18:27
Britain is declining ? Britain has already declined. The role of this country is simply insignificant compare to what they had in the beginning of the 20th centrury. It's just a regional power right now, nothing more.
Σαυρομάτης
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 18:31
constantinexXI and illirac two very intelligent and well thought out posts, i applaud you both.

Britain is not in decline, on the other hand we will never be the biggest, but biggest in todays world does not equall best, happiest or wealthiest when it comes to the people who live there.

Switzerland is hardly the biggest economy in europe, but does it bother them, not one bit, for some strange reason pinguin is always preoccupied with the size of thing, cant think why that might beWink

Britain is infact growing and improving at a steady and sustainable pace, there will be hiccups along the way and like any country on earth we have our problems, but we have and are working on the solutions to cure them.
But we will never be perfect and we never were.

As to our level of power on the world stage, that is growing too again at a steady and sustainable rate, the lack of an empire is a plus point, this island get all our attentions instead.
We still step up to the plate when theres a tyrant, scientifically we still are big hitters and growing still cureing diseases, still a hub of innovations, and despite pinguins deepest wishes will remain so.
G8,EU, UN security council, Commenwealth, NATO, nuclear capable, there are not many countries that have our level of influence in the world, and unless your newspapers tell a different tale there is no decline at  present nor any sign of it in the near future.

The mere fact that pinguin believes britain is declining gives me great comfort because, hes not right about much its worth its weight in gold.

Militarily, short of nuclear war this island can not be touched, domestic conflict is a thing of the past, and we as able as ever to defend our interests overseas.
We have been underestimated for centuries, napolian, hitler, pinguin and this will continue for centuries, but it is good as its a good weopon in the arsenal.

Culturally yes theres the language, but theres still great new music, great publishing, british cinema and film makeing is growing again, tv formats and programmes sold left right and center the most famous soccer teams on earth, do you have and idea how many manchester united shirts get sold in china?.

And then there is me, when i look around my country i feel very positive about the future, i read stats and lists im a nerd that way and locally and nationally things are improving, not declining.
problems crop up but they get dealt with.

The new players ie china, india and brazil have done very well but at the end of the day the problems they face in the future are vastly greater, energy needs, rising middle classes, greater expectation and freedoms to accomodate, meteoric but ultimatly unsustainable growth.

we have the energy problem too, but works well under way to solve it, i am more certain of our place in the world remaining and improving than that of these rising economies.

we got the olympics 2012, commenwealth games 2014, 27 new state of the art naval vessels to arrive into service by 2015, vast investments in education, falling crime rates, low unemployment, stable inflation, the second most important financial center in the world, business geared for global economics, diplomatic ties most countries would die for, four of the ten best universities on earth.

the future is good.

on the bad side, theres too much personal debt in this country and pension problems but these are being dealt with.

well ive waffled on for long enough i hope ive been able to dispell pinguins great fears and heartfelt concerns for my country, hows chile doing these days?

long live the king of bhutan
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 18:32
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Britain is declining ? Britain has already declined. The role of this country is simply insignificant compare to what they had in the beginning of the 20th centrury. It's just a regional power right now, nothing more.

the questio is: Is Britan declining?, no: Britan has already declined?
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 18:35
Originally posted by longshanks31

We have been underestimated for centuries, napolian, hitler, pinguin and this will continue for centuries, but it is good as its a good weopon in the arsenal.

hahahaha...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 18:45
Originally posted by Illirac

hahahaha...

Understimated? On the contrary, overstimated LOL
Be glad I blame Britain of all our problems Big%20smile... what a power has Britain, isn't?

By the way, isn't fun to be under a "black legend"? How does it feel?

That's exactly what you have done to Spains and its children Angry

Do you get the irony now?

Edited by pinguin - 12-Nov-2007 at 18:46
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 18:54
pinguin if that post resembled english id gladly answer the questions, please retype and rephrase, but if it answers your questions, im glad and very happy, i go to spain on my holidays and ive never had a problem, had my wicked way with a few of the pretty ones infactWink
long live the king of bhutan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 19:33

pinguin if that post resembled english id gladly answer the questions, please retype and rephrase, but if it answers your questions, im glad and very happy, i go to spain on my holidays and ive never had a problem, had my wicked way with a few of the pretty ones infactWink

Why you complain then? Just get out of Antartic and we'll continue to be friends Big%20smile.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 19:35
Originally posted by pinguin

Why you complain then? Just get out of Antartic and we'll continue to be friends Big%20smile.

I think longshanks can not help you in these...and surly is no his faultBig%20smile

Edited by Illirac - 12-Nov-2007 at 19:36
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 20:19
Of course it isn't ....
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 20:29
Britain's economies booming at the moment so just because it isn't a world power doesen't mean its declining.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 20:40
One little negative thing that is ever reported about "any" country and all heck breaks loose! I don't see it as declining, but more stablized then anything else in the region, that is... which is currently reported within the press! 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 20:58

The clever thing about the British economy is that it is neither too intrinsically tied to Europe nor to America. So, when these regions face an economic slow down or decline, the effect is greatly reduced.   In the last few years, and credit is due to Labour in this instance, the human resources of this country have been tempered for the information and knowledge age.  This is very significant when manufacturing and, more recently, engineering (including software) are increasingly offshored to places like India.  The teething pains of the new world economic order were endured during the 80s, somewhat oppressively so - pains that countries like Germany and France have not had the will to endure meaning, as such, that Britain will have a competitive edge over these countries, for the forseeable future, due to its economic versatility. 

The educational institutions of this country are also superb and at the leading edge of technological, business and medical learning. A fact exemplified by the sheer number of overseas students from Europe, Asia and even America whom attend relatively mediocre universities here.

The country just needs a more sensible foreign policy, in my opinion.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 22:08
Zagros, an interesting post i pretty much agree with. Sadly however, a more sensible foreign policy for the British government cannot be more intelligently devised in this day and age. Trying too stay in the middle as being a bridge for atlantic politics is proving too be quite straining in todays global bias of favoring one over the other. Perhaps a resolution may not be too far off in the future?

I would like to know more of your thoughts about this, with out sounding too pandering by offering an unsolicited opinion?
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 22:12
Well said, Zagros. One British pound equals two Us dollars. Perhaps that should tell some people of how much Britain is in decline? 
elenos
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 23:23

Yes, the GBP has not been in tandem decline with the USD because of the mentioned economic detachment. In fact, it has strengthened because foreign investors, confident in the currency's stability, have invested their capital in GBP.

Panther, it is fine for Britain to act as the trans-Atlantic go-between but this does not imply that the UK 'must' be party to the US's military adventurism. Something which is greatly to blame, if not completely, for that country's slow, and in my opinion certain, economic demise.  The current state of affairs has simply led to the Fed printing more money, in Weimar Rep. fashion, banking on the fact that the USD will remain the world's reserve currency - the only thing that has so far spared it the same hyper inflation fate.  Indications are that the USD's status in this regard is diminishing daily, with major economic powers diluting their foreign curency reserves - this is the reason behind the USD's tailspin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>