Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

atalhyk and the first cities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: atalhyk and the first cities
    Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 09:51
Does anyone know of any informative websites regarding atalhyk, a neolithic settlement in Turkey regarded by some as probably the world's first "city".

What are the other important prehistoric "cities"? What population and infrastructure did they have?

Many times I wondered that important cities could have existed in woodlands like Sub-saharan Africa or the Amazon basin that had left no traces because when they were abandoned their wooden structure rotted.

What do you guys think about this issue?

Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 15:38
Ther is a surely older one in Trkey, the name is something like....Tepe... with a lot of gravoured (animals) menhirs (from 2 pieces, they look like a half T).
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 19:59
www.catalhoyuk.com

This is the official website forCatalhoyuk with links to all the sponsors, affiliated Universities, and other institutions. quite a bit of information, actually.

" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 20:25
Other ancient cities:

--Recent excavations in the Anhui Province of china have uncovered remains of a city at the Lingjiatan site dating back 5,500 years ago. This find is significant because it predates China's earliest city by 1,000 years
www.china.org.cn

--Jericho
www.utexas.edu/courses/wilson/ant304/projects97/kingp/jericho.html

--Mohenjo Daro (and Harappa to a lesser extend)
www.mohenjodaro.net/index.html

Cities seem to have firstly appeared near waterways (i.e. Tigris/Eufrates, the Yellow River in China, the Indus). Whether this is significant or not is still to be determined. Cities need a lot of things that are not produced locally so rivers might have facilitated trade. Also, a city needs extensive agricultural land surrounding it to ensure a staple of supplies. Perhaps that's why we don't see any early cities in, say, the Sahara.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 08:29
Thanks for all the info. The reconstruciton images of the site have been quite impressive.

What a "city" really is depends also on its definition. Supposedly it should mean that beyong agriculture there are also manufacturing and service sectors.
The so-called "cities" in Mesoamerica also developed on an entirely different plan to Eurasian cities.

I often wonder whether extensive, populous cities entirely built by wooden structures had once existed and then vanished without a trace.

We all assume that major cities never developed in Black Africa and the Amazons until recent centuries, but we can never really "prove" or "disprove" it.
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 08:45
A city usually cannot support itself from the surrounding land and needs to bring commodities over from a distance. A city has enough concentration of population that others deem it profitable to come and sell. Thus markets and trade appear and increase as populations and needs increase. This is possible in a State-level society where enough concentration of wealth and an efficient re-distribution system (along with the bureaucracy to administer it) have been reached. A society in a band or tribal level of social organization are not very likely to find large urban centers, one reason being that the level of economical activity cannot support the increased population of a city--the city population itself being at a heightened risk of things like epidemics and famine because now they have narrowed their living quarters and nutritional basis compared to hunters-gatherers, i.e. cities ARE NOT panacea (different subject).
Also, cities are associated with large, ceremonial-style architecture that tend to leave distinct archaeological signatures (especially today with the extensive use of RST). Thus, if there is a city we oughta be able to find it via the various techniques of archaeological excavation and surveying. If there are some still hidden  in the desert or the tropical rain forest, I have faith that they too soon will be unearthed. One more reason to support scientific and unbiased--as much as the human factor can allow--archeology and interpretation of its finds.  

Edited by konstantinius - 19-Nov-2007 at 09:03
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 01:20
I believe that I read somewhere that Jericho predated atal Hyulk by several hundred years.  Whether it qualified as a city of a "walled town", is very much a matter of debate.  Without a written record of any kind (the first written records that we know of came from Sumeria, Egypt and the Indus valley), we can't be sure just what sort of culture existed there, just a basic idea of what the buildings were used for (storing grain, religious centers for a "mother goddess" of sorts, etc).
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 16:40

One thing that archaeologists are intrigued about is what attracted people to Catalhoyuk. It must have either been in a particular fertile land or it offered other sources of wealth that still had not been unearthed.

As a fact, the agricultural revolution and the development of urban centres actually meant a "step backward" in the quality of life for most individuals.
The domestication of animals, the lack of sanitation services, the crowded living environments, and a less varied diet (most of the poor ate only cereals) gave rise to frequent epidemics that reduced the life expectancy by a third (from the 30s to the 20s). Only in the 20th century, with modern technology, have we managed to recover the life expectancy of our hunter-gatherer ancestors

Post Reply Post Reply