Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese sub & Russian fighters humiliate Kittyhawk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese sub & Russian fighters humiliate Kittyhawk
    Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 16:31
Thanks IdonT! I hope to learn alot more from you, I appreciate the information.Smile
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 16:28
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

PS:  I see you are from Australia.  I beleive the RAAF made a mistake in taking the Superhornet.  The Superhornet was made to work on carriers.  As a result there were some weight penalties involved in strengthening the airframe for carrier use.  Since Australia is not using them on carriers, the F-15 (the ones Singapore and Korea uses) model would have been better.

I have a question IdonT. From what I understand, the F-18 and F-15 are different role fighters. The F-18 I believe is more multirole and the F-15 is a air supiority fighter that has only just been dethroned by the F-22 recently. Atleast thats what I understand from reading on the subject.
Aren't F-18 and F-16s more closely related to each other in their roles while f-15 and f-22 are in the same role?

Yes and no.  The original F-15 was entirely an air superiority fighter.  The ones that are being replaced with the F-22 is the F-15C model.  In the 1990's, the USAF developed the F-15E Strike Eagle, a multirole fighter to replace the F-111.  This aircraft is heavier and longer ranged but less agile than the F-15C.     

The ones Singapore and South Korea are getting are customized version of the F-15E.  The F-15 E would have been a better choice for Australia. 
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 15:59
PS:  I see you are from Australia.  I beleive the RAAF made a mistake in taking the Superhornet.  The Superhornet was made to work on carriers.  As a result there were some weight penalties involved in strengthening the airframe for carrier use.  Since Australia is not using them on carriers, the F-15 (the ones Singapore and Korea uses) model would have been better.
I have a question IdonT. From what I understand, the F-18 and F-15 are different role fighters. The F-18 I believe is more multirole and the F-15 is a air supiority fighter that has only just been dethroned by the F-22 recently. Atleast thats what I understand from reading on the subject.
Aren't F-18 and F-16s more closely related to each other in their roles while f-15 and f-22 are in the same role?
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 14:50
Originally posted by Leonidas

Originally posted by IDonT

It depends if you are on the offensive.  In a hypothethical US vs China conflict, a US carrier will not operate by itself but will be supported by other force multipliers (AWACS, Tankers, Bombers, etc).  A carrier strke group also has tomahawk cruise missile at its disposal too.
the PRC also have force multipliers , with all things being equal it will still come down to the equipment and numbers available. Though you reminded me of Guam which would help the USN with rear logistics and basing extra force multipliers.

Tomahawks are pin pricks that do nothing but hurt a few limited places, if they get through any modern defense network.  They just compliment the overall striking force so you would need the air power close up anyway.  i agree with your very good point made about carriers vs CM armed ships. A similar article here in Aus about cruise missiles on our subs vs keeeping a squad of F-111 or equiv came to the same conclusions. planes are far far more versatile, flexible and overall better bang for buck.

Bombers of the stealth type will be good but how many can be deployed and how effective are they, like the cruise missile, on their own? i say this because you wouldn't want to pit the F-18 to the Flanker unless there was a clear number advantage, which i doubt could happen with even two carriers.

The flankers have the edge over the F-18E's on radius and weapons load, they are simply bigger and more powerful. They can take more fuel and/or weapons and fly further, also i suspect a well flown Flanker will be very hard to beat if contact was made. So i would contend on the airspace side the USN will be at a disadvantage. If they stay back to avoid the flanker reach they must deploy more of the force multipliers to extend the Hornets range. If they are forced back things become harder, there are now more very expensive assets flying in the air that need to be protected, fueled and coordinated. Lets not forget that the flanker can fire very long range AA missiles designed for such targets as AWACs and tankers, so the idea they need protection from well organised  hit and run teams is very believable and something else to plan for.

But all of that will still be better than coming in close to a hypothetical 100 missile swarm.

Maximum flight range (with rockets 2xR-27R1, 2xR-73E launched at half distance):
     - at sea level, km 1,270
     - at height, km 3,000
     - with one refuelling (at 1.500 kg fuel remaining), km 5,200
     - with two refuellings in flight, km 8,000

www.sukhoi.org

BTW I assume the USN would only be trying to provide defensive air cover for Taiwan and deny the PRC security, hence ward off an all out invasion. i think any air attack on the mainland would be limited and not central in their plans as such, as providing air cover would be a real stretch let alone attacking

1.)  The PLAAF force multipliers are not as mature as the US forces.  Currently they only have 4 KJ-2000 AWACs nad have been in service since 2003.  Not a very long time for their airforce to practice with them.  In comparison, the US continually practices with AWACs in wartime situation.

2.)  The KJ-2000 awacs radar could track up to 60~100 targets at the same time and guide a dozen fighters in all-weather, day and night operations.  This is a full fledge large AWACS with dozens of combat air controllers on board. 

The E-2 on US carriers has the Lockheed Martin AN/APS-145 radar is capable of tracking more than 2,000 targets and controlling the interception of 40 hostile targets. One radar sweep covers six million cubic miles. The radar's total radiation aperture control antenna reduces sidelobes and is robust against electronic countermeasures. It is capable of detecting aircraft at ranges greater than 550km.

3.) The PLAAF only has 1 prototype Electronic warfare aircraft the Y-8. 

US carriers carry at least 4 Prowlers or in the near future Growlers.

4.)  Tomahawks are more than just pin pricks.  They will target sensitive command and control areas of the PLAAF.  A critical hit on communication nodes, power supplies, early warning radar, ammo and fuel dumps, and airfields themselves will lower the sortie rates the PLAAF.

The USN has just converted 4 Ohio Class SSGN, each carrying 154 tomahawks.

5.)  Superhornets with Awacs and Prowler support are hard to beat in air combat.  Currently, the USN hornets are in the process of getting their Raytheon APG-79 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar.  In addition, the aircraft is also being fitted with new mission computers, fibre-optic network, Raytheon AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR targeting pod, Boeing joint helmet-mounted cueing system and Raytheon AIM-9X next generation Sidewinder air-to-air missile.   Not helmet mounted sights but Cueing system. 

Prowlers will jam both the Flankers radar and communication while the Awacs provide critical situational awarenss. 

IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 14:27
Originally posted by gcle2003

FYI Van Riper copied the tactics of the Serbian Colonel who shot down the F-117.  He relied on "old fashion" means to rely information (couriers and land lines).  Impossible to jam and detect. 

Does that disqualify him in some way? You're not allowed to use 'old-fashioned' tactics?

No not at all.  However it made him less of a threat by making him less effective.  He was the only one to successfully shoot down Nato aircraft on the Serbian side.  He shot down 2 an F117 and a Dutch f-16.  In comparison, Iraqi airforce shot down about 2 dozen aircraft in 1991. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 13:13
Originally posted by Zagros

Too many people subscribe to hype.  There is a reason why US war effort is 80% psychological and only 20% physical.   Seems like the dividends of psyops are more apparent at home and allied countries than any target country.

How exactly would they know where these boats launch from?  And where exactly would the USAF come from?  The boats are clustered in small groups up and down the coast and converge only at the time of engagement in open water.  

The USN spent $250m on this exercise, I am pretty sure they factored your suggestion into the equation to no avail.  Even in real engagement against a clever enemy most missile launchers and the like would remain untouched by air-power.  The boats will find plenty of shelter in the rocky coastline.  And even dummy locations have and would be set up.  What more painful than a $750k smart bomb taking out a $5 dummy inflatable or wooden model.  That's what the Yugoslavs did, their army and military was literally untouched by NATO bombing which is why the latter resorted to bombing civilian infrastructure.

The crew has to eat right? There has to be a depot where the crews are based, where they go to rest and refit, the boats go for fuel, for armaments, for repair and refit and training. And these bases have to be supported as well, you need an infrastructure for this. If they are out hiding in a coastline where they do not have the logistic support and oh by the way are not attacking the area, well so much the better.

The Serbian example was off, Milosovich's aim was to survive the bombing and save as much of his military machine so it coule be used to further his aims. Such a strategy would not be Irans.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 12:54

It depends if you are on the offensive.  In a hypothethical US vs China conflict, a US carrier will not operate by itself but will be supported by other force multipliers (AWACS, Tankers, Bombers, etc).  A carrier strke group also has tomahawk cruise missile at its disposal too.
the PRC also have force multipliers , with all things being equal it will still come down to the equipment and numbers available. Though you reminded me of Guam which would help the USN with rear logistics and basing extra force multipliers.

Tomahawks are pin pricks that do nothing but hurt a few limited places, if they get through any modern defense network.  They just compliment the overall striking force so you would need the air power close up anyway.  i agree with your very good point made about carriers vs CM armed ships. A similar article here in Aus about cruise missiles on our subs vs keeeping a squad of F-111 or equiv came to the same conclusions. planes are far far more versatile, flexible and overall better bang for buck.

Bombers of the stealth type will be good but how many can be deployed and how effective are they, like the cruise missile, on their own? i say this because you wouldn't want to pit the F-18 to the Flanker unless there was a clear number advantage, which i doubt could happen with even two carriers.

The flankers have the edge over the F-18E's on radius and weapons load, they are simply bigger and more powerful. They can take more fuel and/or weapons and fly further, also i suspect a well flown Flanker will be very hard to beat if contact was made. So i would contend on the airspace side the USN will be at a disadvantage. If they stay back to avoid the flanker reach they must deploy more of the force multipliers to extend the Hornets range. If they are forced back things become harder, there are now more very expensive assets flying in the air that need to be protected, fueled and coordinated. Lets not forget that the flanker can fire very long range AA missiles designed for such targets as AWACs and tankers, so the idea they need protection from well organised  hit and run teams is very believable and something else to plan for.

But all of that will still be better than coming in close to a hypothetical 100 missile swarm.

Maximum flight range (with rockets 2xR-27R1, 2xR-73E launched at half distance):
     - at sea level, km 1,270
     - at height, km 3,000
     - with one refuelling (at 1.500 kg fuel remaining), km 5,200
     - with two refuellings in flight, km 8,000

www.sukhoi.org

BTW I assume the USN would only be trying to provide defensive air cover for Taiwan and deny the PRC security, hence ward off an all out invasion. i think any air attack on the mainland would be limited and not central in their plans as such, as providing air cover would be a real stretch let alone attacking

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 11:27
Too many people subscribe to hype.  There is a reason why US war effort is 80% psychological and only 20% physical.   Seems like the dividends of psyops are more apparent at home and allied countries than any target country.

How exactly would they know where these boats launch from?  And where exactly would the USAF come from?  The boats are clustered in small groups up and down the coast and converge only at the time of engagement in open water.  

The USN spent $250m on this exercise, I am pretty sure they factored your suggestion into the equation to no avail.  Even in real engagement against a clever enemy most missile launchers and the like would remain untouched by air-power.  The boats will find plenty of shelter in the rocky coastline.  And even dummy locations have and would be set up.  What more painful than a $750k smart bomb taking out a $5 dummy inflatable or wooden model.  That's what the Yugoslavs did, their army and military was literally untouched by NATO bombing which is why the latter resorted to bombing civilian infrastructure.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 10:27

FYI Van Riper copied the tactics of the Serbian Colonel who shot down the F-117.  He relied on "old fashion" means to rely information (couriers and land lines).  Impossible to jam and detect. 

Does that disqualify him in some way? You're not allowed to use 'old-fashioned' tactics?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 05:15
Millenium Challenge was about Operations in restricted waters. In the opean ocean, I would suggest that the carrier would have sunk those boats long before they even heard that they were anywhere near a carrier. Incidentally, in an actual war, the USAF would have dispatched those boat's bases a long time ago. No major USN vessel is going to enter the Hormuz in a war without it having been throughly sanitized.
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 21:36

The UK would have lost that war had it not been for the behind the scenes play by MI-6 and Chile which stopped Argentina acquiring more exocets (they only had four), Argentina was pretty weak to begin with, it doesn't take much to conquer practically undefended islands. 

The battleship was obsolete because of airpower in general not carriers.  The US Navy knew in 1922 of this fact, but again, navy brass paid no heed.

So what do you think of Millennium Challenge '02?

Exactly the point.  An aircraft carrier provides a mobile base for airpower. 

Millennium Challenge '02 was an interesting read.  It proved the tenants that a confined waters are deadly to carriers due to the shortening of the battlespace.   Maybe this is one of the reason that the USN was very testy a few weeks ago when harrassed by Iranian boats in the Straight of Hormuz. 

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 21:07
The UK would have lost that war had it not been for the behind the scenes play by MI-6 and Chile which stopped Argentina acquiring more exocets (they only had four), Argentina was pretty weak to begin with, it doesn't take much to conquer practically undefended islands. 

The battleship was obsolete because of airpower in general not carriers.  The US Navy knew in 1922 of this fact, but again, navy brass paid no heed.

So what do you think of Millennium Challenge '02?
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 20:44

Indeed, no one is going on about a nuclear conflict (except you?) which is why I said the likelihood of those countries going to war - period - is low to zero.  And I did cite power projection - projection over weak adversaries such as Saddam who had no form of defense whatsoever against a carrier group. 

Which country - as listed - with a carrier group will seek to project power over another?  None of them.  So it is a status symbol: "I too have the ability to project power over other [pathetically weak] countries".

The UK could not re-conquer the Falklands in 1982 without the carrier.  Argentina was far from from the weak adversary vis-a vis the Royal navy. 

A navy's job primarily is to secure your sea lines of communication.  It is much easier to do this if you have a moving airfield.  Especially true if you are in territories that are far way from home.   
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 20:40

I'm willing to bet both China and Russia currently know the exact whereabouts of every US carrier, and are not likely to lose them if a war suddenly starts. (And of course vice versa.) The war doesn't start with everything hidden and you have to find out where things are. It starts with everything in the open and ships desperately trying to hide.

They may know the general area of where a carrier is, but that is not enough for a targeting solution.  For example, the Russian carrier Kuznetsov is in the Bay of Biscay right now.  That narrows my search pattern as to where to look.  But I still have a lot of ocean to cover.

This is complecated if:
1.) The carrier goes into passive emission (no radar), which gives you two options to look: visually or with surface search radar.
2.) If you go towards a surface search radar, your bearing will be known by the carrier.  They will lauch an Su-33 towards your search aircraft and shoot you down.
3.) If you go by visual means, need to search a lot of ocean 30 square miles at the time.

But less than a battleship. This was in the specific context of projecting power, not fighting a battle. But anyway how many frigates can you build and operate for the cost of one carrier?

A Burke Class Destroyer, the backbone of the USN, cost roughly about 1 billion dollars a piece, a carrier is about 6 Billion including the airwing.  A single Nimitz class carrier can do more than 6 Burke Destroyers.  In fact a single Nimitz is more powerful than 20 Burke class.  The INS Viraat, is more powerful than the entire Indian navy combined.   

The carrier may be able to reload at sea. But how many supply ships does it then need to stay active?

And where are you going to be dropping these bombs? Presumably not just on enemy ships. And presumably not targets you can hit with strategic bombers. If they're land-based targets you have to be able to penetrate land-based defences, but it's actually still more germane to ask what are you going to bomb with these bombers?

Each Carrier Strike Group is accompanied and supplied by a single Fast Combat Support Ship. 

The carrier can do more with just dropping bombs.  It can shoot down your airforce for instance.  A strike deep inland is also possible.  You have the entire combat multiplier at your disposal.  You got the E-2 as your eyes, the EA-18 Growler to blind theirs, and the F-18s to hit them where it hurts.  Penetrating land based air defenses is one of the multitude of things the carrier airwing is capable of. 

Which boils down to carriers allow you to use aircraft. Well, I'll grant that. As long as they're afloat.

That's the point.  A carrier is a warship that expends aircraft as weapons.  The same way a cruiser expends missiles as weapons.  The main diffirence is that an aircraft has much longer legs, can return to rearm and refuel, and vastly more capable.

Hmmm... Many of those countries (the ones that had navies) were still building battleships in 1939. (And I'll accept in the early stages of the war they had some utility. It just didn't last long.)

HMS Vanguard was commissioned in 1946.  USS Missouri and USS Wisconsin in 1943.

That is beyond the point.  The battleship was obsolete because the carrier could do all its missions better.  Currently, no other platform can do all the missions a carrier can do better.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 20:29
Indeed, no one is going on about a nuclear conflict (except you?) which is why I said the likelihood of those countries going to war - period - is low to zero.  And I did cite power projection - projection over weak adversaries such as Saddam who had no form of defense whatsoever against a carrier group. 

Which country - as listed - with a carrier group will seek to project power over another?  None of them.  So it is a status symbol: "I too have the ability to project power over other [pathetically weak] countries".
IDonT View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote IDonT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 20:10

Just a fad, status symbol.  Besides, realistically none of those countries will go to war with each other due to MAD in most cases.  They are perhaps for use at distances against foes whom aren't technically or strategically developed, militarily.

Not a fad but a necessity.  If you want an blue water navy that can do blue water operations, you need an organic airdefence and organic power project. 

No one here is talking about full on nuclear conflict.  Why do people always escalate such thing.  If nations can fight a limited war they will do so. 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 18:56
Furthermore, the fact that CHina, India, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Russia, France, UK, Spain, Italy, and the United states are still building carriers as the centerpiece of their naval strategy proves that they are still needed.

Just a fad, status symbol.  Besides, realistically none of those countries will go to war with each other due to MAD in most cases.  They are perhaps for use at distances against foes whom aren't technically or strategically developed, militarily.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 18:20
hmm... gcle's right here and there's evidence to back him up.  It's just that the Navy, with such enormous investments in carriers does NOT want to hear it.  In 2002 there was a war game held by the USN named Millenium Challenge '02 where a US carrier group was annihilated by a primitive adversary.  The hypothetical location of the war game was the Persian Gulf.  The Pentagon simply refloated the fleet and changed the rules so that the fleet was the victor.

The sheer numbers involved overloaded their ability, both mentally and electronically, to handle the attack, said Lt. Gen. Paul K. Van Riper, a retired Marine Corps officer who served in the war game as commander of a Red Team force representing an unnamed Persian Gulf military. The whole thing was over in 5, maybe 10 minutes.

In the simulation, General Van Riper sent wave after wave of relatively inexpensive speedboats to charge at the costlier, more advanced fleet approaching the Persian Gulf. His force of small boats attacked with machine guns and rockets, reinforced with missiles launched from land and air. Some of the small boats were loaded with explosives to detonate alongside American warships in suicide attacks. That core tactic of swarming played out in real life last weekend, though on a much more limited scale and without any shots fired.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/12/washington/12navy.html

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 17:37

From what was posted earlier, I rather gathered all it took was, say, forty or fifty missiles, and you didn't have to be lucky. But, how close do you have to get with a nuclear warhead to wipe out a carrier group?
(Dropping a nuclear missile on a carrier group at sea would, I suspect, be a much more acceptable use of one than hitting a land target: no civilian casualties.)

40 to 50 missile against a warship protected by 2-5 Aegis equipped escorts will not get through.  The Aegis was designed to counter the massive saturation raids poised by Soviet Backfire Regiments. 

I was only going by what other people had said. I think a single nuke is the more likely danger.
Tactical short-range aircraft, probably. Fighters to defend convoys against air attack? That's the sort of thing that strikes me as WW2 thinking.
Convoy duties is one of them.  Based on the previous article, the USN practiced striking hard to reached Soviet areas in the Far East near the Kamchatka penisula.  USN also had plans to send several battle groups into the Barents sea to strike at the Northern Fleet bases.   These are tast that no strike aircraft based on an airfiled can do sufficiently and bring in weight in numbers.
But why would anyone except someone who liked playing war games do any of that?
 A carrier on wartime footing will be very difficult to find. 

I'm willing to bet both China and Russia currently know the exact whereabouts of every US carrier, and are not likely to lose them if a war suddenly starts. (And of course vice versa.) The war doesn't start with everything hidden and you have to find out where things are. It starts with everything in the open and ships desperately trying to hide.
What was I saying about WW2 thinking? In WW3 Pearl Harbour would no longer have existed.

Define WW3 thinking.
I don't see why. By 'WW2 thinking' I mean the way people thought by the end of WW2, with the carrier, as some said, ruling the waves. At the beginning of WW2, prevailing thinking was still WW1 based and still assumed the battleship was king. Like I said, it didn't take all that long to find out it wasn't.
'WW3 thinking' would therefore be whatever people would be thinking at the end of WW3, - in the sad event one comes to pass. I have no idea really what that may be: I just know that the carrier will get displaced the way the battleship was.
 What can aircraft from a carrier do that missiles from a cruiser - or a frigate - can't?

I'm still reminded of people in 1937-8 going on about bombing attacks and fighter defences and so on, and being unaware of radar.

A carrier can bring enormous firepower several magnitudes that of a Cruiser or Frigate.  
But less than a battleship. This was in the specific context of projecting power, not fighting a battle. But anyway how many frigates can you build and operate for the cost of one carrier?
The most powerful surface combatant today, are the Kirov and Tico Cruisers.  The Kirov has only 20 offensive anti-ship missiles, while the Tico have 122 VLS cells.  Strike on land are limted to the number of ccruise missiles they each carry.  Once they are depleted, they go home and reload.  A carrier can reload at sea.  USN carriers have enough ordinance to do round the clock sustained bombing missions for 4 days before reloading. 
The carrier may be able to reload at sea. But how many supply ships does it then need to stay active?

And where are you going to be dropping these bombs? Presumably not just on enemy ships. And presumably not targets you can hit with strategic bombers. If they're land-based targets you have to be able to penetrate land-based defences, but it's actually still more germane to ask what are you going to bomb with these bombers?

In addition, there is flexibility.  Carrier aircraft brings AWACS, electronic warfare aircraft, Airdefence, enforcement of a no-fly zone, strike, ASW, etc....
Which boils down to carriers allow you to use aircraft. Well, I'll grant that. As long as they're afloat.
Furthermore, the fact that CHina, India, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Russia, France, UK, Spain, Italy, and the United states are still building carriers as the centerpiece of their naval strategy proves that they are still needed.
Hmmm... Many of those countries (the ones that had navies) were still building battleships in 1939. (And I'll accept in the early stages of the war they had some utility. It just didn't last long.)

Edited by gcle2003 - 23-Jan-2008 at 17:40
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 17:14

Originally posted by Sparten

gcle2003, the use of a nuke has great startegic  political consequences which make its use difficult to say the least. 
So? Wouldn't starting a world war have "great strategic political consequences" anyway?

Even one against a target at sea would entail great pressure to retaliate and an escalation would be inevitable. Anyways nations that have nukes have little interest in taking on the USN anyways, except China.

Neither has China.

We're being hypothetical here. If we're imagining China starting a war against the US, or the US starting one against China, we can imagine anything.

Moreover the number of countries with nukes is increasing, and the current US administration seems intent on alienating them.

There's nothing too outr about envisaging an Iran under attack from the US, delivering a nuclear strike on a US fleet. Would retaliation on Tehran be justified? I don't think so.

Moreover you might note that NATO has just confirmed that it will not give up the right to use first-strike nukes. Why should anyone else?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>