Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

disease as a weapon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gabachachida View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gabachachida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: disease as a weapon?
    Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 04:02
My question is why the Spaniards "bringing" diseases, is spoken about by many as if it were some devious weapon to kill the indigneous peoples in the Americas, no one could control contagious diseases... what are your thoughts on this?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 10:24
Spaniards also died in large numbers by those same diseases...

Unlike the Brits and Americans, that resorted to genocide as a matter of principle, Spaniards didn't want to exterminate the indians but to exploit them.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 10:49
Originally posted by pinguin

Unlike the Brits and Americans, that resorted to genocide as a matter of principle, Spaniards didn't want to exterminate the indians but to exploit them.

Pinguin,please stop writing such rubbish
Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 17:24
Originally posted by Gabachachida

My question is why the Spaniards "bringing" diseases, is spoken about by many as if it were some devious weapon to kill the indigneous peoples in the Americas, no one could control contagious diseases... what are your thoughts on this?

Europeans brought diseases to the Americas that were harmless to Europeans but  fatal to the natives as they had no immunity to them. The natives of course, had similar bugs with which they infected the Europeans.  A tragedy  that was unavoidable  in the circumstances. Unhappy
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 18:01

Be very careful in making blanket statements such as this, pinguin.  Are you trying to stir up trouble with this comment or is there some kind of overwhelming scholarly concensus with which to back it up?  If so, cite something to support the claim.

andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 23:47
Why do people say 'European diseases?' These diseases have also been a part of Middle Eastern and Central Asian history for centuries it's not 'European,' in fact these 'European' diseases didn't even orignate in Europe for goodness sakes!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 02:19
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Be very careful in making blanket statements such as this, pinguin.  Are you trying to stir up trouble with this comment or is there some kind of overwhelming scholarly concensus with which to back it up?  If so, cite something to support the claim.

Comon sense, fellow.

Spaniards need the Indians to exploit them. Spaniards came to be lords, not to work by themselves, at least in the beginning.  Without Indians, the institution of the Encomienda didn't work.

For the settlers of AngloAmerica it was different. The Indian was a strange that put in risk theirs life, robb theirs cows and sheeps, and so they have to be get riden of. So they did. What else was the extermination of the buffalo but a way to kill Indians by hunger? And that's just a single event of many.

In the case of the south, know the history of Latin America, and it is easy to prove what I said.

Now, show me I am wrong in believing there was a genocide in North America. As far as I know, everybody agrees on that. At least one believes the myth that the most efficient way to get rid of Indians was coughing, so that they died of fever.

By the way, I found this post in a thread in History News Network. It is interesting:

It was a comment with respect to this article: Were American Indians Victims of Genocide? by Guenter Lewy.

A Question of genocide? (#72216)
by Anthony M. Belli on December 8, 2005 at 7:11 PM

Excellent article, one I will use for research for my book; Whispers in the Wind - The Weber Creek Massacre. I believe Guenter Lewy is correct with the exception of the California Indian. California following the Weber Creek Massacre (1849)engaged in genocide. Governor Peter H. Burnett publiclly called for the "extermination" of the tribes. Therefore the state government established a policy of genocide. The argument is not popular with California historians. I say knowledge and intent was clear in California.

Edited by pinguin - 01-Nov-2007 at 02:43
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 06:49
Originally posted by andrew

Why do people say 'European diseases?' These diseases have also been a part of Middle Eastern and Central Asian history for centuries it's not 'European,' in fact these 'European' diseases didn't even orignate in Europe for goodness sakes!
I think people only call it that because the europeans were the ones who introduced those diseases to the new world, if middle-easterners had been the ones discovering the new world I'm sure we would be talking about middle-eastern diseases. 

Challenger2 pretty much expressed my view on the issue.

Edited by Justinian - 01-Nov-2007 at 20:52
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 08:48
PInguin,

As far as I am aware there was no and never was any genocide policy in the British Empire.

None in South Africa, India, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong,  Fiji and other islands, East Africa, Egypt, Belize, West Indies, Guyana etc.

That there may have been troubles at times which resulted in the deaths of some of the native inhabitants and the settlers. This is hardly uncommon if you look back over history.

However genocide as a policy was never there
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 08:53

For the settlers of AngloAmerica it was different. The Indian was a strange that put in risk theirs life, robb theirs cows and sheeps, and so they have to be get riden of. So they did. What else was the extermination of the buffalo but a way to kill Indians by hunger? And that's just a single event of many.

In the case of the south, know the history of Latin America, and it is easy to prove what I said.

Now, show me I am wrong in believing there was a genocide in North America. As far as I know, everybody agrees on that. At least one believes the myth that the most efficient way to get rid of Indians was coughing, so that they died of fever.

By the way, I found this post in a thread in History News Network. It is interesting:

It was a comment with respect to this article: Were American Indians Victims of Genocide? by Guenter Lewy.

A Question of genocide? (#72216)
by Anthony M. Belli on December 8, 2005 at 7:11 PM

Excellent article, one I will use for research for my book; Whispers in the Wind - The Weber Creek Massacre. I believe Guenter Lewy is correct with the exception of the California Indian. California following the Weber Creek Massacre (1849)engaged in genocide. Governor Peter H. Burnett publiclly called for the "extermination" of the tribes. Therefore the state government established a policy of genocide. The argument is not popular with California historians. I say knowledge and intent was clear in California.

Perhaps you should have read the article more carefully. Isolated incidents by evil-minded individuals do not make for genocide ceratainly not as a policy
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 11:55
Originally posted by Peteratwar

PInguin,

As far as I am aware there was no and never was any genocide policy in the British Empire.

None in South Africa, India, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong,  Fiji and other islands, East Africa, Egypt, Belize, West Indies, Guyana etc.

That there may have been troubles at times which resulted in the deaths of some of the native inhabitants and the settlers. This is hardly uncommon if you look back over history.

However genocide as a policy was never there

The problem with that is the lack of evidence. As far as I know, not serious study has been done with respect to the topic.

These things are not know:

(1) How many people lived in the United States at times of contact. No matter some estimations say 10 millions or more, the fact is the numbers managed in the 1700s shows quite small populations of Natives. Perhaps 1 million people as much lived in the U.S. at those times. But certainly nobody is sure.

(2) The real mortality of the infectious diseases. It is quite popular to say 90% of the Amerindian population died after contact, but because (1) is unknow and there weren't census at those times, there is no base to say that. In fact, populations in places like Mexico and Peru, although affected, recovered quickly. I guess a good estimation is comparing what happened to Europe during the Black Death. 1/3 of the population died. I estimate that the impact of the Americas was equilavent, so the population was decimated but never almost extinct.

(3) Degree of admixture. Believing or not, there is not a single study of how many Amerindians assimilated to the mainstream of the U.S. population. Without that number it is impossible to know how many escaped death and just changed lifestyle. If 700.000 Amerindians intermarried or went to live in "white" towns, for instance, they will be counted as "victims" ratter than migrants. What was the demographics of Amerindians in white tows? Nobody has a clue. But the fact newspapers were written in Cherokee in the middle of the 19th century shows there were readers.

So, perhaps the main problem that exist to determine what was going on is bad scholarship about the period. Better studies are needed to settle this important question.

Edited by pinguin - 01-Nov-2007 at 11:59
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 00:11

Comon sense, fellow.

Spaniards need the Indians to exploit them. Spaniards came to be lords, not to work by themselves, at least in the beginning.  Without Indians, the institution of the Encomienda didn't work.

Exploit? You mean... in effect they were slaves to be worked too death! We often are warned of our own glass houses Pinguin, as i will point out eventually in my post.

How was it so different for AngloAmericans, then it was for the Spanish? The Spanish (Corts and Pizarro readily come to my mind) came and immediately conquered those strange primitive people for their king, and perhaps, within the hopes of civilizing them! In the case of the Incas, Pizarro did too them (Destroying their sophisticated farming system), what the (Bison)buffalo hunter's eventually came and were eventually allowed to do to the plains indians, roughly three hundred years later!

Besides the were more reasons for the near extinction of the American Bison, then you currently believe. Like there was such a thing as commercial hunting of the bison, even before it was debated in the US govt. of following such a policy of extermination of the Bison; In which their skins fetched a very profitable price and were used, for all practical purposes.. industrially!

Anyways, they are still around (We have a herd of them a couple of miles away from where i live!), thanks to conservations efforts established over a hundred years ago. I believe there numbers are currently estimated at 350,000? I know it's nothing like the millions back in the 19th century, but it is still a respectable munber in bringing their numbers back up!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 00:49
Originally posted by Panther

Comon sense, fellow.

Exploit? You mean... in effect they were slaves to be worked too death! We often are warned of our own glass houses Pinguin, as i will point out eventually in my post.

Fellow, the mita system is not slavery. Actually, it was a regime similar to the way the english worker was exploited in the factories of the industrial revolution.

And yes, nobody will deffend Spaniards. They were brutes and cruel.

However, the places where most Indians per capita exist today were precisely the Spanish Colonies.

Other places, like the British, Dutch and Portuguese colonies, than according to your oppinion were more "human", there are quite a few or non Indians at all, replaced by either the White or the Black man.

On the other hand, in Hispanic America there more there are more Indians than anywhere else in the Hemisphere. And Indian blood exist and run through our veins.

It is curious then that the Indian survived with the cruel Spanish and they perish of cold and fevers with the educated and humanitarian British, Dutch or Portuguese.

History is curious, isn't?

Edited by pinguin - 02-Nov-2007 at 00:53
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 05:08

Fellow, the mita system is not slavery. Actually, it was a regime similar to the way the english worker was exploited in the factories of the industrial revolution.

I guess seeing that most here use wikipedia as a reference point, i will just add this here:

Notice the last setence in the first paragraph: The Spanish Conqustadors also utilized the same form of labor system in supplying the workforce they needed for the silver mines, the basis of their economy in the colonial period, abusing the concept of mit'a into what was effectively a form of slavery.

As i said earlier, it sure sounded like slavery too me!

However, the places where most Indians per capita exist today were precisely the Spanish Colonies.

No offence intended pinguin, but i don't know just how much of that can really be because of Spanish colonial policies, after how long... nearly two hundred years ago? In fact, i would dare say that the rise in per capita in come is of more recent origin of policy, say the last thirty - forty years, then anything that transpired several centuries ago. Still, better late then never!

Other places, like the British, Dutch and Portuguese colonies, than according to your oppinion were more "human", there are quite a few or non Indians at all, replaced by either the White or the Black man.

On the other hand, in Hispanic America there more there are more Indians than anywhere else in the Hemisphere. And Indian blood exist and run through our veins.

Is that how i came across? I guess too be a little more clear, i don't really want to, or really care to compare which colonial power was the more humane or the most cruel without this possibly turning into a rascist tit for tat? My only problem is that you are the one who seems too always be bringing this up, as if it is a sin that North America turned out quite a bit differently then South America. Besides, i am not really looking for anything too bash about the historical legacy of the Spanish Empire or South Americans for that matter. But, while we are on the subject regarding Indians being more numerous in the Southern hemisphere of the Americas:

It is curious then that the Indian survived with the cruel Spanish and they perish of cold and fevers with the educated and humanitarian British, Dutch or Portuguese.

History is curious, isn't?

I don't think it was ever in the interest of the Spanish to go whole hog in colonizing South America. At this time, i tend too think their only primary interest was in getting rich and to rule the preexisting population? Nothing more, nothing less! That's unlike the other colonial empires which did a little of both, but for their own different reason's.

Now of course, things just might have gone quite a bit differently for South America if she had gone through a massive influx of migrants to any number of shores of any nations in the region, Like what actually occured in the Northern part of the hemisphere. That is or should be... shortly after the 1820's with the establishment of independence from Spain! Just imagine that for a moment, of "What if"...  a massive influx of Europeans went there to South America (Instead of The US or Canada) because the jobs were plentiful, land(Cheap at that) was too be had as far the eye could see and nobody feared persecution of the likes which they had seen from their old home countries? Do you really think there would have been a large indian population after that? The indians would have been swamped and very well may have reacted like their northern brethen did! But, to be honest, it's impossible too speculate what the rammifications might have been, if the positions were reversed for our two hemispheric regions?

The fact is though, that it didn't happen down there but up here. Now we have you saying that we only waged/engaged in a rascist war against them, when there was incredibly so much, much more to it than that! It's almost impossible too cover it all in just one post!

The Northern indians weren't exterminated, they were just litterally swamped by an uncontrollable amount of Europeans coming to the "new world"! 

Yes, history is an enjoyable curiosity!

Edited by Panther - 02-Nov-2007 at 05:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 13:12

Now of course, things just might have gone quite a bit differently for South America if she had gone through a massive influx of migrants to any number of shores of any nations in the region, Like what actually occured in the Northern part of the hemisphere.

Fellow, Latin America received the same number of immigrants from Europe than North America.... Check it out. Another excuse gone wrong.

That is or should be... shortly after the 1820's with the establishment of independence from Spain! Just imagine that for a moment, of "What if"...  a massive influx of Europeans went there to South America (Instead of The US or Canada) because the jobs were plentiful, land(Cheap at that) was too be had as far the eye could see and nobody feared persecution of the likes which they had seen from their old home countries? Do you really think there would have been a large indian population after that?

Yes. Why not? Check the statistics in European immigrantion to Latin AMeri

The indians would have been swamped and very well may have reacted like their northern brethen did! But, to be honest, it's impossible too speculate what the rammifications might have been, if the positions were reversed for our two hemispheric regions?

Perhaps if it didn't exist the idiology of  "the only good indian is the dead indian"

The fact is though, that it didn't happen down there but up here. Now we have you saying that we only waged/engaged in a rascist war against them, when there was incredibly so much, much more to it than that! It's almost impossible too cover it all in just one post!

The Northern indians weren't exterminated, they were just litterally swamped by an uncontrollable amount of Europeans coming to the "new world"! 

Yes, history is an enjoyable curiosity!

Of course it is. Now, please, show us how many Amerindians assimilated to the mainstream. That's something history doesn't show in YOUR country. If more Amerindian people assimilated than suspected, that will show I am wrong in suspecting a genocide. If the 10% of the U.S. population, for instance, have Amerindian blood, that would explain what happens. But, believe it or not, no massive genetic study about this point have been done in the U.S. (In all the other countries accross the Americas such studies exist)

However, as far as I know, U.S. schollars aren't in a rush to figure it out.

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 00:59

Fellow, Latin America received the same number of immigrants from Europe than North America.... Check it out. Another excuse gone wrong.

Ok, i admit i don't have the statistics readily on hand, for all the numbers of immingrants too South America over the past couple hundred years. I will give you this also, i should have been more clear that South America also recieved a decent share of the immigrants, as well! However, from what i have read over the year's, i have always considered the indian counter part in the South to have been much more numerous then those of the north, so they could handle an inlfux of immigrants as long as they didn't keep coming in wave after succuessive wave. Also, what i won't give to you, is that no one particular South American nation recieved an unequal amount of  immigrants or even in such a short amount of time (75 years or less) as those in the north, particularly the US, that would seriously hurt the existing indian population! Of course, such an amount of influx of immigrants would eventually effect policy decisions in Washington, which in the end, did p*ss of the indian popualtion, with quite a few of their chiefs knowing they were in the middle of being swamped & sought accomodation.

There was never any easy answer for either the US govt. or the indian tribes on how to handles this without further bloodshed or a war of extermination between the two, which neither really wanted in the first place; And there certainly were plenty of hot heads on both sides that wanted one! Besides Pinguin, i am not interested in excuses. Otherwise i wouldn't even be here, you know... wanting to "learn" from others. I think we can learn form one another on this issue pinguin, don't close your mind to the possibilities of what my genetics are made of!

Perhaps if it didn't exist the idiology of  "the only good indian is the dead indian"

Your taking a quote that came into existence somewhere in the middle of the ninteenth century, and using it as the offical US policy or for every single European that ever stepped foot on the North American continent prior to that time. Many were not simply aware of the indian view. When the Europeans did have the rare chance of becoming aware of it, their sympathies would usally go to the indians against their accussers. But those were just an exception to the rule of public knowledge of that time, in which the press would actually be able to get something right in reporting on just how intricate of a problem this was too be resolved with dignity for all. Besides that, the quote has been attributed too more than just one author.

Of course it is. Now, please, show us how many Amerindians assimilated to the mainstream. That's something history doesn't show in YOUR country. If more Amerindian people assimilated than suspected, that will show I am wrong in suspecting a genocide. If the 10% of the U.S. population, for instance, have Amerindian blood, that would explain what happens. But, believe it or not, no massive genetic study about this point have been done in the U.S. (In all the other countries accross the Americas such studies exist)

However, as far as I know, U.S. schollars aren't in a rush to figure it out.

Your right there has been no real conclusive study of the genetics of American society. That is because it is almost nearly impossible to do so, because of the unbelieveably diverse make up of the US citizen. I suspect that would be the reason why our scholrs are not in a hurry too figure it out, because they wouldn't even know where to begin? The only thing i can give you is a rough estimate of our indian population, or those who say they are descedants of European/Indian intermixing. That is, over 1 million identify themseleves primarily belonging to either one indian tribe or another. While the numbers for the intermixed descendants is somewhere between 1.5 million to 2 million.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 08:27
Pinguin still with your anti Yankee stuff

I think your original hypothesis is flawed: the Spaniards did not significantly have a different behaviour toward the native than, say, the Anglo-Saxons.

Here are something I guess everybody agrees on that can (partly but mainly) the differences between N and S America may come from the following factors:

1) There were more Native in Central America and the North of the Andes than in the North of the Americas (current days USA and Can), the South (Argentina) and the South-West (Brazil).

2) The smaller a community was the faster it was erased from the surface of the Earth.

3) The period when the worst losses occurred for the natives were not the "contact" but the conquest and the decades (up to a century) after the conquest.

4) The mightier the native state system before conquest the more chances the population had to survive and the institutions to be re-used by the Europeans.

5) The higher the ratio Europeans/native population the more the native were to suffer from the invasion.

6) The easier the terrain was the faster the extinction.

Lets take a few examples to check whether the factors I have mentioned were more likely to predict the level of extinction a native nation was to suffer:

A) The Selknam from the Tierra del fuego. They suffered a near 100% death rate due to Spanish-speaking governments. Arguably those who actually killed them came from the whole of Europe. Thus their executioner's origin has less to do with their disappearance than the fact that they weren't numerous, had little places where to hide, lived nomadic and tribal lives, and had already disappeared a few decades after the conquest (and thus couldn't enjoy a post-conquest recovery).

B) The Caribbeans. They also suffered a near 100% extinction. Once more from the hand of mostly Spanish-speaking conquerors. The relatively small size of the island did not allow them to hide anywhere, they were not very numerous and quickly outnumbered by the Europeans and the slaves, they had no institutions to offer the Spaniards, them too were too badly hurt to enjoy a post-conquest recovery.

C) The Mapuche. I guess Omar you know more about them than I do but over all there were badly massacred. Their population is likely to have fell by 95% in one generation. They neither suffered from a devastating invasion, but only after modern technologies made their territory easy to cross by the Europeans. They had little to offer the Chileans but they were lucky enough never to be too badly outnumbered by any kind of European settlers and to be numerous enough in the beginning to have enough stock to recover after the invasion.

D) It is interesting here to compare North American Nations with fairly similar histories. The Hurons and the Iroquois for instance. The former were less numerous, were more immediately in contact with the Europeans (i.e. higher Euro/ native ratio) and had a less effective style of institutions. As a result they are nowadays some thing like outnumbered by the latter something like 15 to 1. The same is true for comparisions between Apaches/Navajos or Sioux/Cherokee.

E) The places where well organized and very numerous native pre-contact societies existed have (relatively to the other) done well. Namely, Central America and the Andes. The Incas for instance enjoyed several advantages: no major European settlements, a large number of people pre-contact, a still significant population post-conquest, a fairly difficult country to go through, etc. As a result despite population losses raging from 50% to 95%, they could fairly well recover and now form most of the population of Peru and Bolivia.

F) Small communities protected by difficult terrain (even those conquered) never had too much to suffer.

If any of the people or systems involved in the conquest was particularly bad how do you explain that the same government (lets say Chile) totally erased some tribes, only partly destroyed other and had little more influence than a bad epidemics on the major native population?

Considering the immigration of Europeans. The case of Argentina is interesting. The Natives were almost totally eradicated from the country and it is one of the country in South America that have the most of Europeans. Why? Because they mostly arrived late (as late as the 1950s), quickly (mass migration started after 1800) and had very little chances to mingle with the native that were originally very few anyway.
Question: why did the USA, Canada, Argentina and to a lesser extent Brazil, Uruguay and Chile despite their various background and very varied institutional settings had fairly similar effects on their native populations?

PS: let also add a 7) in the factors. Lets divide the number of native conquered by the time of the conquest took and the higher number will likely predict the best outcome for the native populations.
For instance the Aztec Empire had (maybe) 20 millions subjects and it collapsed in 4 years, the number is thus 5,000,000. On the other hand the Mauche were around one million but fought for 300 years, their reference number is thus 3,333.
It would be interesting to make a more complete table, but I'm convinced that the nationality of the invaders would not correlate with the effect of the invasion.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 12:30
Interesting oppinion. Let's try to be constructive in the topic, so I will put certain figures and comment your points. Perhaps something new will arise from it.

(1) Antiyankee? Just for kidding. Just realize we have a different perspective in many events, including the gunboat police, that produce indeed certain suspiction in our way of see you.

(2) The number and densities of the natives at contact is not known. That's something we should agree. It is clear that in North America the densities were quite lower than in Mexico and the Andes, but hardly smaller than in the Amazons and Patagonia.

(3) In Latin America, even with all the suffering that certainly exist, hardly a group was erased from the face of earth. Most of them assimilated. Culture dissapeared but people managed to integrate somehow to the invaders.

(4) The Selkham of Tierra del Fuego become extinct because that part of the world was colonized by modern Europeans (Swiss, Germans, Brits, etc.) at the North American style. That territory was a "far west" where our governments have hardly any control. The main killer of those natives was called "Captain" Popper, a Romanian bastard that worked for the Queen of Romania! Here we have Popper in action. He paid for it though. He died stabbed. Europeans of those times already had acquired the genocidal mentality that will explode during the Nazi regime.

(5) Caribbeans suffered a lot because of the explotation of the Spaniards and indeed its population was decimated. However, as shameful as it may sound, it was the competition for women what made that people dissapeared. Spaniards married Taino women at a very high rate, to the point theirs culture dissapeared. That can be easily seen in the demography of countries like Puerto Rico, where circa 30% of the genetic pool is indigenous.

(6) The Mapuches suffered a decline at the beginning of the invasion, but hardly as sharp as you show. The fact is they combat the Spaniards to death and as sucessful that there was no place in the Americas were more Spaniards died. My country was a military post during all the colonial times, and Mapuches and pirates were the main concern. Chile was the only country in the Americas were Spaniards lost money LOL

(7) In Argentina 50% of the people have Native mtDNA. That's not what I would expect from a country that erradicated theirs Indians Big%20smile.

(8) In Brazil, the Indian genetics is very large in the general population, being circa the 30% of the genetic pool. In places like Chile, 80% of the mtDNA is indigenous. In Canada, 2 million people are descendents of Indigenous people. In the Caribbean, the presence of Tainos show clearly in DNA tests, particularly in Puerto Rico, but also in Cuba and DR.
And we are not talking about the so called Indian Countries (Mexico, Guatemala, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador or Paraguay) where the indigenous presence is widespread.

(9) All the countries of Latin America, but particularly Brazil and Argentina, received huge waves of European immigrants.

So, knowing all this antecedents. Why it is so that the United States is the only case where the indigenous element is just the 0,5% of the population? Why so low? Bad statistics? Genocide?

That's what I would like to figure it out.

By the way, I have made my calculations and I estimate that if you count all the indigenous genetics in the U.S. melting pot you get to the equivalent between 8 to 15% of the genetic pool. Not that bad.

The only thing that remains then is that the U.S. give more importance to its pre-colombian past, and that forget that ridiculous story of the foundational Mayflower. Americans live there long time before those events.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 18:12
^^Oh, come now Pinguin, the mayflower is an important event.Smile  (though I admit my bias, I had two ancestors on it)

Some fascinating stuff to read here.

Edited by Justinian - 03-Nov-2007 at 18:13
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 19:39

So, knowing all this antecedents. Why it is so that the United States is the only case where the indigenous element is just the 0,5% of the population? Why so low? Bad statistics? Genocide?

That's what I would like to figure it out.

By the way, I have made my calculations and I estimate that if you count all the indigenous genetics in the U.S. melting pot you get to the equivalent between 8 to 15% of the genetic pool. Not that bad.

The only thing that remains then is that the U.S. give more importance to its pre-colombian past, and that forget that ridiculous story of the foundational Mayflower. Americans live there long time before those events.

Interesting post pinguin & some good questions in the latter part of your first quoted paragraph. Perhaps it is a combination of many things, and in no particular order: of bad statistics, horrible policy decisions that still stem from over a hundred years ago, unnatural diseases to the indigenous population, bloody war from that era of time between the indigenous population and US government & ect...

Yes i agree, the pre-columbian past is important, but so is the Mayflower compact for this country. Both are interesting and neither should be ignored for the sake of sensibilities!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>