Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Europa Universalis III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europa Universalis III
    Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 12:03
Does anybody pay it? Is it good. I've just bought it. Seems I will have to read a book enlosed to the game cause I think it's difficult. I played England like in Medieval Total Wars expecting to kick some ass quickly but French and Bretons launched the invasion to Britain!!!
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 12:49
As i can remember it was quite difficult in EU2 to conquer a region without revolting every couple of years. The point is economy and military technology so that you can build capable army to protect your territory . An other solution is to choose a region you had conquered and make her a vassal. The diplomatic relationships with the vassal state will be perfect for a long time. 

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 16:20
Thanks Athanasios. This will be first game that I have to read an instruction cause it's seems to be not easy.
If You have other advices please post it.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 16:44
LOL I've not the original cd(Embarrassed) so its a matter of practice and further practice. Unfortunately i could not even discover the new world , as other states (i had chosen byzantium) because i didn't know how. Only an adventurer merchant of mines had reached India (the most powerful market zone as far as i know)but only this. I had tried to restore the frontiers of the empire (in the beginning i had only Thrace and Moreas) expanding to Kastamonu Smyrna Salonica Albania Duchy of Athens and then -when my army adopted gunpowder,and tears came to my eyes- expanding further more to the balkans, pushing the Austrians to the north. The point is that i had serious problem with the revolts , so i created some vassals, decreasing my borders. The final hit was when i reached the year 1675(?) and i couldn't save the game , probably because of my pc's fault, rather than EU's problem to accept a strong byzantine empire in the 17 centuryLOL.
Anyway as i can remember, i had also chosen an Indian state and i had tried to expand my borders to Bombay. This region was controlled by rebels and my troops got annihilated  by diseases  quickly.  The pro-columbian  America  was  also  boring because after  conquering  the neighbor kingdoms there ware not many things to do but waiting for a Spanish caravel... One point i never got ,was why i was so hated in diplomatic field.

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 23:27

Originally posted by Athanasios

LOL I've not the original cd(Embarrassed) so its a matter of practice and further practice. Unfortunately i could not even discover the new world , as other states (i had chosen byzantium) because i didn't know how. Only an adventurer merchant of mines had reached India (the most powerful market zone as far as i know)but only this. I had tried to restore the frontiers of the empire (in the beginning i had only Thrace and Moreas) expanding to Kastamonu Smyrna Salonica Albania Duchy of Athens and then -when my army adopted gunpowder,and tears came to my eyes- expanding further more to the balkans, pushing the Austrians to the north. The point is that i had serious problem with the revolts , so i created some vassals, decreasing my borders. The final hit was when i reached the year 1675(?) and i couldn't save the game , probably because of my pc's fault, rather than EU's problem to accept a strong byzantine empire in the 17 centuryLOL.
Anyway as i can remember, i had also chosen an Indian state and i had tried to expand my borders to Bombay. This region was controlled by rebels and my troops got annihilated  by diseases  quickly.  The pro-columbian  America  was  also  boring because after  conquering  the neighbor kingdoms there ware not many things to do but waiting for a Spanish caravel... One point i never got ,was why i was so hated in diplomatic field.

LOL Sound like a scenario for a good movie.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 01:21
Yeah, and my computer's name would be HAL . Poor byzantinesLOL

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 01:29
Has anyone else bought this?  I see they have come out with a Napoleon expansion; I've considered buying it but am still on the fence, not so sure about this idea of no historical events, though some of the new features are very intriguing.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 13:37
from what i heard the expansion also include historical events + leaders, but i'm also on the fence. i totally don't like the new map, mostly because there are too few and too large provinces for this kind of game. a game of this kind should have the victoria map. though i like that they have regiments as units, thats about the only thing that wants me get the game.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 16:16
EU2 is one of the best games I've ever played, but I haven't played that many games so...

At the moment, my Spanish Empire is quickly colonising most of the Carribean and South America, with half of the Inca Nation under my control under a recent peace treaty... Our ships have sailed both the entirety of the east and west coast- I have two colonies in California...
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 22:48
I started playing it...took me awhile to learn it, now I love it. I am playing mostly Spain and Portugal. My Spanish Empire also is fighting for the new world and in the French-Spanish borders. My Portuguese Kingdom has allot of colonies in the Asian Islands. It is a helluva good game for the hardcore gamer.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 07:59
Originally posted by Temujin

from what i heard the expansion also include historical events + leaders, but i'm also on the fence. i totally don't like the new map, mostly because there are too few and too large provinces for this kind of game. a game of this kind should have the victoria map. though i like that they have regiments as units, thats about the only thing that wants me get the game.

Try MEIOU mod. It includes many new provinces. The Holy Roman Empire is even more divided there with many new states and provinces.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 19:47
sounds good Smile
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 21:23
I just bought EU2, I hope to take a part in this topic after I learn how to play it! Does anyone have a good strategy when playing the Ottomans?
What is the officer problem?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 21:30
The Ottomans are great fun, depends on whether you want to play "historical" or just do whatever you want.  In either case conquering Constantinople is at the top of the list, just being weary of possible alliances coming from the west; i.e. Hungary.  Even then if I remember right you start off with a large and very well equipped army. (artillery)  Just watch your "badboy" to avoid fighting the whole world at the same time.  Personally I like crippling large nations because you get a lot of territory without an annexation penalty. 

Edit:  Also be aware of where your "core" territories are and try not to annex or take territory that is not a core, at least early on in the game.  You'll get events that will give you a lot more cores as you advance during the game; i.e. confrontation with Egypt, Mehmed II's policies, Suleiman I's (sp.?) as well I think.

Edited by Justinian - 05-Mar-2008 at 21:33
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 15:40
I wanted to bump this due to the new In Nomine expansion pack.  It makes Europa Universalis III all that it should or even could have been initially.  The rebels have been totally reworked, making playing a superpower actually complicated and interesting.  The rebels now have specific goals, leaders, and can negotiate--and they know what they are doing!  The naval and colonial systems have been changed tremendously for the better....  For the first time, I, a historical EU2 player and a fan of historic realism, am finally happy with where EU3 is and what it does.  The new historical missions systems, the new decistions systems, along with better AI, guide the game far better; it no longer seems aimless and totally ahistorical.  It just works great, now!  And it's plenty hard!

Edited by DSMyers1 - 16-Jun-2008 at 15:46
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 21:55
sounds interesting, i might give it a secodn try now.

can you give me a list of actual changes/improvements in the new expansion?
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2008 at 02:17
Well, here is the manual: http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358652

Basically the game is overhauled, and is vastly improved.  Also look at the standard EUIII forums for a discussion of IN.  As opposed to the original EUIII and the Napoleon's Ambition expansion, the response is overwhelmingly positive.  I don't have time to go more in depth at the moment--do you want my opinions?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2008 at 08:21
Too bad I don't have time, sounds very interesting. Loved the old EU2.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2008 at 22:17
yeah i checked the forums a bit, it really looks great, and they included new provinces, even though some parts of germany look really akward... i'll definately give it a try now
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 20:11
i totally approve of what i've seen so far Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>