Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hockeys here so let have beer!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hockeys here so let have beer!!!
    Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 18:07
Anyways, what the heck happened vs the Habs on Tuesday, up 5-0 only to use 5-6!?!?!!?
Don't bring that up... It hurts to much.Cry I honestly can't believe they fell apart, especially when they actually play they play great defense, but it's like they feel asleep at the switch... I'm still stunned they lost it. I had to listen to it on the radio since they had it on a channel; I don't get last night, so I'm not sure where it really went wrong. It's just unbelievable.
And then after the game Jagr is talking about how he doesn't mind if he gets traded and has always wanted to play in Canada! WHAT THE HELL! Not something I want to hear from our Captain after a major unbelievable lose in a game they had in the bag!
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 04:08
Originally posted by Seko

Congrats on the growing family Jazz. Been so long I wonder what brought you back to these parts? Oh, it must be close to playoff time.

Don't worry about them Habs. They are a 100% improvement over last year. It's my Red Wings that have been dinged up the past two weeks that gets me worried.

Thanks.

Actually, I had been meaning to come back for a while, but changing computers I lost my password and my password retrieval attempts did not work since I did not remember which e-mail address I used.....anyways, my time did not permit me to post much anyways, so I would just read some topics here and there....

In fact, I probably won't have much time anyways to post much, but will work hard to keep this thread alive...besides, we have to educate the ignorant masses worldwide on the beauty of this game, including those in this forum!
jmac950 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jmac950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 06:01
For the first time in 15 years, my Montreal Canadiens are in first place in the Eastern Conference this late in the season. Woooo!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 14:01

Of course I have something to say about Prehispanic Hockey :

Mapuche Hockey from pre-Colombian times.

As played today
palin

Perhaps we have that game in the blood. This is the femenine roller hockey team that won the world championship not long ago.

I told Canadian Guy hockey was invented by Mapuches, but he doesn't believe me

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 14:03
Originally posted by Jazz

[QUOTE=SearchAndDestroy] ...
Haha, looks like it....

Been busy with work (I'm self employed), my other site, and now even more importantly my 6 month old daughter! 

Congrats!

There is nothing more important than our kids and family. Best wishes.
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 15:19
I told Canadian Guy hockey was invented by Mapuches, but he doesn't believe me

i too find that hard to believe, according to NHL homepage, ice hockey was invented by  northern europeans 500 years ago. you might argue that it was brought back from the new world, but the history of hockey goes way back to the ancient Egypt, according to Wiki, drawings were found in the bani hasan tombs near nile valley.

other variations of hockey was also popular in eastern asia, middle east, and europe before the expedition of new world, such as Polo and
hurling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 16:06
Games may have things in common, but that doesn't mean they are of the same origins. Hitting a ball with a stick probably goes far back before recorded time.
You can pretty much trace it back to Hurling in Ireland, to Shinty, to Shinny, then to Bandy or possibly Ice Hockey. This goes back further then the 1300 and probably had more iterations of games that are lost to us now. The idea of hitting a stick and ball is nothing new.
What makes these games different is the rules in which they are played, and modern Ice Hockey was developed by our Brothers to the North, the Canadians. They developed the ice sheets rules, the number of players, and whats acceptable in the sports cultures.

So I'd say the sport we are discussing in this thread has it's origins in Europe, but was created in Canada.

Originally posted by jmac950

For the first time in 15 years, my Montreal Canadiens are in first place in the Eastern Conference this late in the season. Woooo!
I can't believe the trade you guys made at the deadline. Getting rid of Huet, and while Price has been to have a great future, hasn't he been very inconsistent this season? I remember hearing something about Price have a problem, I think it was the consistency.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
jmac950 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jmac950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 18:53
NHL is right for having the history they have. The game of ice hockey as we some what know it (see, on ice and with skates) was played in Europe. Even that is inacurate if you analyze the first games of shinny in Nova Scotia, Canada. That is when some Scotsmen played shinty on ice, with skates on. Shinty became shinny, the first primitive ice hockey game of modern hockey.

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Originally posted by jmac950

I can't believe the trade you guys made at the deadline. Getting rid of Huet, and while Price has been to have a great future, hasn't he been very inconsistent this season? I remember hearing something about Price have a problem, I think it was the consistency.

I was stunned too. I like Huet.  But when I think about it, it was a risky, but good trade. Huet was kind of a streaky goalie. When he's on his game, the dude is almost unconcious. But when he's off, he's off. Not ony that, His contract is up at the end of this season. Huet can and will demand huge numbers, and he will get it. Carey Price is just a pup. He's arguably as good as Huet, and he's just beginning his career. Price also was brilliant in the AHL championship last year as he led the Hamilton Bulldogs to the title, as a teenager. So, he has won a professional championship already (and he was 19 when he won it). Huet has won nothing. Then you can get into politics. Price was the fifth overall pick. There's more pressure for Gainey to start him when you use that pic that high. Ultimately, I'm sure Gainey asked himself if Huet can win the cup this year for Montreal. I think we know the answer, and that is why he is gone.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 19:10
You think Price will be able to carry the load into the playoffs? He may have done on the lower level, but the NHL is a whole new ball game.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 23:54
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Games may have things in common, but that doesn't mean they are of the same origins. Hitting a ball with a stick probably goes far back before recorded time. ...

I agree on that. However, it is funny how my Canadians friend, and Canadians in general, react to the mention of that wild hypothesis.

By the way, it could be interesting for hockey fans, that Mapuches gave magic names to the hockey stick, in the same way King Arthur or the Cid named theirs swords.

Finally, in North American ice hockey, I don't know why I have certain prefference for this team

Edited by pinguin - 02-Mar-2008 at 23:56
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2008 at 17:47
Hasek gave up an unprecedented series of quick back-to-back goals in three or four games against the Predators. Why does Detroit always seem to do this? They make their first round opponents hang on long enough to build confidence and from their anything can happen.

Habs are giving Boston new life too. My two favorite teams are lounging. For tonight's Detroit game Osgood will be in goal. Time to try anything.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2008 at 20:04
Osgood has been, well good from what I understand. Analyst argue that he should have been the starter to begin with. I wouldn't know since I don't follow the Western Conference so much.

I can't wait for tonights Rangers v. Debbies. I love seeing Brodiver flop around with every little tap he gets. Tey said they are going to start taking runs at The King, so tonight is going to be pretty interesting.
And, I hope we wipe the floor, or should I say Ice, tonight with them!Evil%20Smile
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2008 at 21:01

I hear you there. Jagr and Drury are punishing around the net. Jersey misses having Gomez. I'd like to see the Rangers pummel the Debbies.

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2008 at 22:50
Can I ask that a mod close this thread.  Hockey is over.  Once AGAIN the Leafs failed to make the playoffs. Cry
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2008 at 23:27
If the NHL was ran like the Leafs organization, it'd be considered fubar. The Leafs didn't play hockey, they stunk it up, and there's gotta be changes in the front office before they get better from what I understand.
Besides, the Rangers rule all! So we should all just talk about them! Tongue

Drury is Captain Clutch, and he's from my home State! We raise clutch players here.Big%20smile
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 00:01
We've had changes in the front office.  The back office.  The owner even died at one point.  None of it mattered.  The fact is that as long as the fans buy up all the seasons tickets and merchandise regardless of how bad the team is, it will remain bad.  If / when half the tickets are unsold and merchandise sales drop off and revenue from TV contracts dries up, THEN maybe we'll see some meaningful changes.  At least they managed to 'claw' their way out of the basement at the end, so they won't have to shell out the $'s to pay the No. 1 overall draft choice. Disapprove
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 01:22
Well, I don't see them ever having a merchandise problem. I'm not a fan of Toronto, but I wouldn't mind seeing the dress a good team.
The only other team I like are the Canadiens. I figured I should like a Canadian team too since they pretty much made the sport, so I chose the city where my Great Grandfather came from. They are also very storied and a orginal six, so thats a big plus.
But, when we play'em, I hope we slaughter them!Evil%20Smile

Are you following any other team now that Toronto is at the golf course?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 03:49
Nail biting is over for a couple days. After giving up a goal in the last minute the wings pulled it off in overtime. Rangers did pummel the bedeviled. Thats worth raising a glass.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 05:17

Hell yeah baby! Rangers beat'em, and beat'em good! I think if there were any candidates for the Devs MVP, it'd have to be one of the Rangers since most their goals bounced off our players!

If Avery was on another team, I'd hate his guts, but as a Ranger, I love him! He was definitly a factor in getting under Brodiver's skin!LOL

Edited by SearchAndDestroy - 19-Apr-2008 at 05:18
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 16:56
Originally posted by deadkenny

Can I ask that a mod close this thread.  Hockey is over.  Once AGAIN the Leafs failed to make the playoffs. Cry

haha. I live in Toronto were people are buried in maple leaf coffins. 3 straight years of no playoffs, heads must roll.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>