Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthurs Cou

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthurs Cou
    Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 14:40
I picked this one up last night because I was in the mood for fiction and had nothing new about. It's been a long time and I had forgotten how funny and enteraining Mark Twain can be.  Any comments on him or the book?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 17:57
Absolutely, read that book ages ago, totally hilarious. so much better than all the other ones that copied the same idea, apart from Catweazle, English TV series in the 70s. I think it's a shame Mark Twain is only known in Europe as the author of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, great books as well, but he did write so much more, very funny guy.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 19:49
This is my favorite Twain book ever, the points it made about industrial societies versus religious institutions and chivalry fit my ideology perfectly.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 19:56
Oh, those aristocratic pigs...
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 21:11
I love aristocrats, self made dynamic capitlists, not old inbred farts who lounge around all day saying "your poor breeding is giving me the fear"
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 00:21

Still and always a big fan of Sam's.  Whichever I have in my hand is usually my favorite.  Have just finished rereading the collected short stories - I needed the laugh!  The McWilliams' and the Burgular Alarm, Adam and Eve, Niagra Falls and all that had me laughing out loud in public places - again.

Perhaps it's the years working with and lecturing to modern tourists - but Innocent's Abroad is one of my best loved Twain...  The ugly American tourist 19th century style - already insulting everyone they meet, already lording it over other cultures with the belief that everyting American is better, and the whole time desperately trying to educate themselves so as not to allow the world to see how insecure they are. Twain captures them brilliantly.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
 Post Reply Post Reply