Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Myanmar Question...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Myanmar Question...
    Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 16:37

I have been wondering, Myanmar is located right in the middle of India and China. Moving directly from China to India is not a favorable trade route due to mountains and harsh climate. It must gave prospered from constant and flurishing trade center. Add in the Buddhist pilgrim route to India... Myanmar would have been a powerful economic nation.

But Myanmar was never a strong and unified nation. Arguably the Mongolian invasion was an exception due to their powerful military forces, the cultural impact made by the Mongolians was minimial. People did not build powerful economy or anything like that, despite their geographically strategic location. So what happened there?

Join us.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 22:21
Originally posted by pekau

But Myanmar was never a strong and unified nation. Arguably the Mongolian invasion was an exception due to their powerful military forces, the cultural impact made by the Mongolians was minimial. People did not build powerful economy or anything like that, despite their geographically strategic location. So what happened there?

The underlined seeems incorrect. Burmese kingdoms were quite  strong at times. They captured Indian provinces and had some of the most modern cannons of the Far East.

Also, Qing China was constantly defeated  when it invaded ( 3 times in the  1700s) Moreover, Burma was at that time even at war with Siam.  That says something about Burma 's strength vis- a -vis Qing China ( or Chinese weakness vis-a-vis Burma , when put the other way ). China and Burma were of course both defeated and occupied by the british around the same period ( mid 1800s). Interestingly, the total number of British forces involved in the Burmese wars was some 40.000 ( >10.000 dead )  Now,  the unified Chinese empire was many  times larger and more numerous than 'Burma', but a much smaller number of europeans was enough to bring it on its knees. ( I dont know the exact number of British and French troop  right now, but its probably not much more than 15.000 ( together )).

Edited by Sander - 03-Oct-2007 at 23:01
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 03:34
Oh, I see. I will check it again. I briefly read some Myanmar history because of what's happening right now. I used wikipedia as a quick reading, and I won't be surprised if I am wrong.

Despite the fact that China was much bigger than Burma, Qing was seriously corrupted, and many of their civil servants were addicted to opium. Declining Qing dynasty created power vacuum, allowing different factions rise and fight for the supremacy over Qing dynasty. Japanese attack in Manchuria was an example. Burma was not struggling in civil war, especially due to the previous foreign attacks by Portgugese and French... and were more prepared than Chinese to resist the Europeans more effectively. Plus, the resentment towards Britian was quite strong in Burma. In fact, when Japanese armies occupied Burma in WWII, they were greeted as heroes. Majority of Burmian people supported Japanese troops to attack India, and later fought agains the British and US counterattacks. Burma was among the few countries to reject offer to join Commonwealth.

Join us.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 03:38
Yes. Burma ( Toungoo ) also defeated the Portugese attempts.

Burma must have prospered well in the old days, if we look at the material data( often closer to a non-ideological truth )

The above is some 10 % (!) of the 1000 year old city temple city  Bagan. As we can see , it reached the horizon, larger than many modern cities. There several of such gigantic projects.   They took  decades/centuries of intense labour , involving 10.000-100.000 s people.

Edited by Sander - 10-Oct-2007 at 03:45
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 05:39
It's such a shame that such important and impressive archeological sites are still uncovered in Southeastern Asia due to their political and economical instabilities...

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply