Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new paradox game: Rome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new paradox game: Rome
    Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 19:56
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324871

well, was about time. but if only Rome is playable, i'll skip it...
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 21:30
Fantastic, I will look forward to play as Pontus, Dacians or Carthage. Down with Roman empire and Successor states.

Edited by axeman - 01-Oct-2007 at 21:30
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 23:47
Well technically Pontus was a successor state.Embarrassed  But, I also am most intrigued by this announcement.  The only concern I have is seeing the map stop in persia.  The one thing I always loved about paradox was that their games had a world map.  I don't want that for this game but what I would truely love to see added to that map would be central asia and... CHINA!
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 04:59

Thats right, Pontus was a successor state. I just hope that this game will distinguish itself from other "Rome" games, and bring more fun to the table. If not, than it will suck.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 05:30
^^^ Agree.  Hopefully with historical events and realistic armies numerically (tens even hundreds of thousands) it will be better than Rome Total War.  Which was fun for a while but got boring very quickly, I don't think I ever finished one campaign all the way through.  I own europa universalis II and just love that, very addictive with a very high replayable value.  If this new game is anywhere near the level of EUII I will be most pleased.

Edited by Justinian - 02-Oct-2007 at 05:32

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 08:52
Originally posted by Temujin

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324871

well, was about time. but if only Rome is playable, i'll skip it...

Given their track record, you're probably be able to play most little unimportant backwaters as well.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 15:46
I don't really know why they keep developing the same game again and again, I mean can someone tell me how many differences would be there between this game and games like Rome:Total War, Medieval:Total War 1/2 and many other.

The theme is the same and if someone has or have played Rome:Total War (which is the best in the race) then I don't see any interest in this game from there side.

But still that's what I think maybe others have a different taste.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 16:01
Originally posted by Gharanai

I don't really know why they keep developing the same game again and again, I mean can someone tell me how many differences would be there between this game and games like Rome:Total War, Medieval:Total War 1/2 and many other.

The theme is the same and if someone has or have played Rome:Total War (which is the best in the race) then I don't see any interest in this game from there side.

One of the reasons they continue to "develop the same game" is becuase people actually like these games. Many people prefer certain time periods of war, such as the "classical age" or "medieval age" more so than modern warfare. I must admit, i find no interest in warfare if it involves gunpowder.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 16:45
Originally posted by Justinian

Well technically Pontus was a successor state.Embarrassed  But, I also am most intrigued by this announcement.  The only concern I have is seeing the map stop in persia.  The one thing I always loved about paradox was that their games had a world map.  I don't want that for this game but what I would truely love to see added to that map would be central asia and... CHINA!

my thoughts exactly. at the moment it looks more like a Crusader Kings in antiquity. i always hated Crusader Kings for only having a map of Europe and only Christian factions playable. therefore i assume only Rome is playable since in the announcement they only talked about managing Rome and not about 120 playable nations as is common slogan for their game advertisment.

are you familiar with Paradox games at all? the game mechanics of the paradox game owns any Total War game on the strategical map mode. the only thing Total War games have is the battle mode, and it's not exactly the best i know...

Edited by Temujin - 02-Oct-2007 at 16:49
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 18:12
actually it seems 50 nations are playable, including small gallic tribes. but i'm still curious as to which paradox game this will be more closely to.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 19:29
Another important consideration is if the game will be bug tested and corrected when released or if we'll have to wait a year or two, getting update patches to stabilize it.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 13:09

Not the same type of game at all. Paradox games are grand strategy with abstracted battles; Total War is a tactical battle game framed in a simple strategy mode.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 16:19
Well I guess I had learned wrong about the game as when I say replies of you people I searched a bit more about the game and come to know that yes there is difference between Total War series and it.

jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 23:33
It must be based on the EU3 engine but it would be a shame if the map was as small as it seems from the early screens.  The density of provinces seems, if anything, less than EU3's so it's not like mapping the whole world would strain processing power, but I guess it would be hard to decide what parts should be permanent terra-incognita or how much contact various parts of the map should ever be able to have. 

I hope it's good but I'm not optimistic.  It might just end up that all nations play the same (with few or no nation specific historical events) like EU3 and Nap's Ambition. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 18:56
they already said the game will have no historical events, so that means there will be no nation-specific events....and its a big letdown that there is no Asia, i seriously doubt they will make a warring states game...
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 05:47
^^ That sucks.  No historical events?  That is what makes EUII the great game it is.  (I have not played EUIII)  Yes, sadly asia is constantly neglected whether the maker be Paradox or Activision/sega etc.  Ironic considering even a game that was just about the warring states would be beyond awesome.  This would have been one of the greatest games ever made if it had included the roman world and also china.  I've yet to find a game that covered both during the ancient world.  With the realistic army sizes, historic events and such paradox allows, oh what could have been...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 08:35

Yes, sadly asia is constantly neglected whether the maker be Paradox or Activision/sega etc.

That seems a little unfair considering there was Shogun: Total War. The Steppe peoples also make a few appearances. I do agree that it does need to be included a bit more though
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 17:11

^^ That sucks.  No historical events?  That is what makes EUII the great game it is.  (I have not played EUIII)  Yes, sadly asia is constantly neglected whether the maker be Paradox or Activision/sega etc.  Ironic considering even a game that was just about the warring states would be beyond awesome.  This would have been one of the greatest games ever made if it had included the roman world and also china.  I've yet to find a game that covered both during the ancient world.  With the realistic army sizes, historic events and such paradox allows, oh what could have been...

I agree, these companies should definately give the same amount attention to the asian theater. Games like Shogun:Total War left us all wanting more, and we have yet to get it. There were hundreds of warring asian and steppe states back then.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 17:50

yeah, exactly my thoughts...
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 00:17

^^ That sucks.  No historical events?  That is what makes EUII the great game it is. 

However they have said that EU: Rome is going to be more like EUIII and Crusader Kings, which is better without historical events (CK that is).

This would have been one of the greatest games ever made if it had included the roman world and also china.

What would be the point? So you could take your "uber" Roman army and conquer China, or your Chinese forces to the pillars of hercules. IMO Europe didn't go after Asia because they didn't have the capability (and wouldn't in this time period). And China didn't conquer Europe because it would've been too expensive for some "backwater provinces". The way the game could handle this is have a "foreign trader" event and that would be about the interaction between Rome and China.

Of course it would be kinda neat to have an EU: China game based around East Asia, but the developers have their own personal preferences in history and it seems to be European based. Personally I'm a bit upset that they have no desire to make a Modern-Era/Futuristic game, but C'est la Vie, at least be glad they are incorporating another historical period. I mean eventually if they are successful they could make EU: Rome 2 which could include China. So don't lose all hope.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>