Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Military Ranks of your country

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Military Ranks of your country
    Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 13:24

Few days back I was collecting different military rankins system of different countries, but was unable to find much as

most of the countries ranking system was not available on the net so I thought why not to ask forum members and share

the idea with them, so if you know military ranking system of your country please add them here.
Starting with Afghanistan, I have added it below with regional word used to the specific term, therefore I ask the same

if your term diferes from the internationl ones.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 15:08
Yeah, with the ANA, the figures are rather optimitic for numbers. Afghanistan has never had a standing army of more than 20,000.

Pakistan its like this, positions

AFHQ (Army field Head Quaters) 2 or more corps, only during wartime, commanded by a snr Lt Gen

Corps: 2 or more divs plus support formations, Lt Gen

Division: 3 or more brigades and support formations,

Brigades: 3 or more bns. Brig

Bn: 800-1000 men, Lt Col

Geographic command, can be any of the above, for example, Force Command Northern Areas, a corps, Pakistani Forces Somalia, a div. STRATCOM is also comsidered a geographic command, with all of Pakistan as its AOR.

COAS (Chief of Army Staff, the army commader), a full General

CGS, Cheif of General Staff, the operational commander of the army, snr Lt Gen or full General

Director General Military Operations, the main operations planner for the army, Maj Gen.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 16:33

Originally posted by Sparten

Yeah, with the ANA, the figures are rather optimitic for numbers. Afghanistan has never had a standing army of more than 20,000.

First of all dear I don't know what do you take by the words ANA (seeing your comment) as by that we mean Afghan National Army.

In 1960 the Royal Afghan Military (now ANA) was at its largest of its extend, having 80,000-strong Soviet-trained mechanized force.

In the year 1976, late. President Daud Khan thought of extending the numbers upto 200,000 with the help of Americans and the new relations he established in middle east. It was these ideas of him which caused him a coup against him where Russians feared that he is no more going to be a puppet of them so a coup was in placed, and that dream was just kept a dream of having 200,000 personnel army.

Right now within a 6 years period the Afghan National Army has been able to recruit 50,000 active personnel (which I guess if I am not wrong mathematically is 2.5 times greater than the 20,000 you mentioned).

Anyways thanks for sharing that data and I thought there were some Urdu words for those Ranks or maybe I am wrong.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 18:45
As an anecdote, in 1945, when the rank of "General of the Army" was created in the US army, the chief of the general staff was George Marshall.

The rank of Field Marshal had been considered, as this was the traditional rank of the highest ranking soldier in many armies (European/Japanese anyway).

However, General Marshall didn't want to be known as "Field Marshal Marshall."  LOL  Otherwise,  Eisenhower, and MacArthur, may have been field marshals other than in the Phillipine army (MacArthur).

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 02:31
For Australia wiki tells me this:

Officer ranks
CODE    NAVY   ARMY   RAAF   
General officers
O-11 Admiral of the Fleet Field Marshal Marshal of the Royal Australian Air Force
O-10 Admiral General Air Chief Marshal
O-9 Vice Admiral Lieutenant General Air Marshal
O-8 Rear Admiral Major General Air Vice Marshal
Senior Officers
O-7 Commodore Brigadier Air Commodore
O-6 Captain Colonel Group Captain
O-5 Commander and Navy Chaplain Lieutenant Colonel Wing Commander
O-4 Lieutenant Commander Major Squadron Leader
Junior Officers
O-3 Lieutenant Captain Flight Lieutenant
O-2 Sub Lieutenant Lieutenant Flying Officer
O-1 Acting Sub Lieutenant Second Lieutenant Pilot Officer
Cadets
- Midshipman Officer Cadet Officer Cadet

[edit] Non-commissioned ranks

CODE    NAVY   ARMY   RAAF   
Warrant Officers
E-9 Warrant Officer of the Navy Warrant Officer (RSM of the Army) Warrant Officer of the Air Force
E-9 Warrant Officer Warrant Officer Class 1 Warrant Officer
E-8 - Warrant Officer Class 2 -
Senior Non-commissioned Officers
E-8 Chief Petty Officer - Flight Sergeant
E-7 No equivalent Staff Sergeant (obsolete) No equivalent
E-6 Petty Officer Sergeant Sergeant
Junior Non-commissioned Officers
E-5 Leading Seaman Corporal Corporal
E-4 No equivalent Lance Corporal No equivalent
Enlisted
E-3 Able Seaman Private(P) Leading Aircraftman/Woman
E-2 Seaman Private Aircraftman/Woman
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 08:59
Pretty similar to the rest of the western nations. We haven't had a field marshal since Johan Sandels (1764-1831) though, since there hasn't been any wars for a while. The Finns have a similar system (Wiki-link). Shamelessly copied from wiki:

Fltmarskalk Field Marshal Feldmarschall   Admiral of the Fleet
(Fleet Admiral in the U.S. Navy)

General General General Amiral Admiral Admiral
Generalljtnant Lieutenant General Generalleutnant Viceamiral Vice Admiral Vizeadmiral
Generalmajor Major General Generalmajor Konteramiral Rear Admiral Konteradmiral
Brigadgeneral Brigadier General Brigadegeneral Flottiljamiral Commodore Flottillenadmiral
verste Colonel Oberst Kommendr Captain Kapitn zur See
versteljtnant Lieutenant Colonel Oberstleutnant Kommendrkapten Commander Fregattenkapitn
Major Major Major rlogskapten Lieutenant Commander Korvettenkapitn
Kapten Captain Hauptmann Kapten Lieutenant Kapitnleutnant
Ljtnant Lieutenant Oberleutnant Ljtnant Sub-Lieutenant
(Lieutenant Junior Grade in the U.S. Navy)
Oberleutnant zur See
Fnrik Second Lieutenant Leutnant Fnrik Midshipman
(Ensign in the U.S. Navy)
Leutnant zur See

Edited by Styrbiorn - 11-Sep-2007 at 09:06
 Post Reply Post Reply