Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rugby World Cup
    Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 03:50
the English played a much better game. i was in a state of shock last night, it took a good half an hour (after the game) to accept we just got smashed of the field.  The turn around in the English confidence was amazing, these guys were underwhelming to start with, yet played with their hearts against us. The Aussies had no answers, didnt step it up a gear and basically got rolled.

kind of feel better the kiwis are out as well though, don't want to be the only upset at this stage of the game.

Go Fiji!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 04:05
It wasn't just that Australia didn't step up a gear... we kinda stepped down a few.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 16:09
geez weren't the south Africans happy they got it together in the last 15 or so minutes. The Fijians were almost too good and I like the way they play rugby

oh well im going for the Puma's now..

Edited by Leonidas - 07-Oct-2007 at 16:09
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 18:28
The Puma's can beat the Boks on that showing. Lets hope they don't take Scotland too lightly. The Scots are a big game team.

Edited by Paul - 07-Oct-2007 at 18:30
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 01:21
Well guys, we have our semi-finalists:

England vs. France
South Africa vs. Argentina

I must say it was a most entertaining quarter finals round. Last world cup I remember the English narrowed out the French in the semis, without managing to score a try.

- Knights -
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 03:06
I'm going for Argentina. Failing that France.... failing that England.
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 10:05
Hi everyone.

I was away from the computer for a few days and could hardly wait to see what was being said on this thread.

First off congrats to the English and the French for proving most people wrong. The English team still played badly, but lucky for them the Ausies were worse. The French game however were very entertaining and the French defense amazing. Well done.

I have to say it's nice to see everyone rooting for South Africa :-P

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 10:15
The English played badly? I think they played superbly especially considering their form. I mean, we've been mostly woeful from our success in 2003, up until a few days ago against the Aussies. We could have played better of course, but I really think we stepped up to the mark.

I'm not sure what to think of South Africa. The majority of the people at my church are South African, all Bok supporters. There are a few Aussies, a couple of Kiwis and a few of us English. My team is still left in, so I'm barracking for them. If the French beat them, I'm open to whoever...

- Knights -
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 13:34
no offense Eondt, the Boks are not a very popular team over here. this is from what i can tell with others i have talked to (me included) but thats my own observations not fact.

The English played ok on the day. i think everyones expectations of them have been very low, so when it came to play time it looked pretty good. Its was a surprising turn around and they deserve the match. My sarcastic pre match remark/sledging looks quite silly now.  The Aussies were just woeful, missed the Kiwi match.

..but the rivalry with the kiwis and the Aussies is over stated, its there but not that serious. Most of us like beating the English, even if they have rubbish teams, much more satisfying. Cool

Edited by Leonidas - 09-Oct-2007 at 13:37
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 14:00
Especially when the rubbish team winsClap
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 14:17
The England performance was good in many places, the pack were world class, but the midfield was still poor. 

If they had turned out an identical performance in the other semi playing either France or NZ, they'd have been beaten quite easily. However if it had been SA against England not Australia and the Boks played like they did against Fiji, SA would be home by now. At the moment the French look a class above the other teams.

Edited by Paul - 09-Oct-2007 at 14:18
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 20:45
That's okay Leonidas, the Aussies aren't very popular her either. In fact, of the other major teams we mostly like the All Blacks, and that's it.
I found the game the Boks played on Saturday to be bad for my nerves. They tried to play fancy rugby, understimating Fiji (who played very well). Luckily they realised towards the end that they needed to revert to their own style of rugby and managed to pull it off. Defense was a major worry. Oh well, a win is a win, and I don't think they'll underestimate the Pumas (at least I hope not).
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 21:43
England 14 - 9 France

Hard%20Working

Oh yeah! We did it Paul, we did it! Full marks to the boys, they put up a valiant effort. Will it be the Boks, or the Pumas...? Shocked

Swing low. Sweet Chariot.
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 16:08
England played well. They deserve to be in the finals. Talk about a tournament comeback!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 02:10
South Africa 37 - 13 Argentina

I only caught the last 4 minutes of the game, just after Brian Habana's try. Did South Africa play well, or Argentina just play terribly?

Either way - we have our Grand Finalists.

England vs. South Africa

No doubt I will be up for this. Good Luck Eondt! Evil%20SmileTongue

Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 07:37

Argentina did play well. They dominated the scrums with their pack of forwards which allowed them alot of posession and territory. They made alot of handling errors though which SA were quick to take advantage of. SA also also dominated the lineouts, it basically becoming a lottery for Argentina on their own throw.

Anyhow, I'm excited about Saturday! Good luck to you too Knights ;-)
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 11:47
i missed both matches. i always pick a side to support so i guess its,  *cough*, england...

Ouch

Edited by Leonidas - 15-Oct-2007 at 11:48
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 11:52
Rock on Leonidas Cool
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 06:58
Last night, i saw my first rugby-match at tv ever.

I must admit, only the first half of the match france- argentina.

Thick men, full of drugs, looking like felons, a ref in orange, looking like a participant of christopher-street-day-parade.

Tufts of human bodys, a ball , flew like a drunken duck, men who were lifted up like in Swan lake ballet, stacks, left behind from a pole vault competition, it was an amazing hour. Afterwards true sport started, so i had to switch over.

What's it all about?

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 07:08
Good to hear you watched some union, Ulrich. Cool

I didn't stay up for the game myself. Argentina crushed the French (for once I got a game right!) - 34-10. Sunday morning 4am my time is the big game. South Africa are taking on us - The English. I can't wait! No sleep for me tonight...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>