Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rugby World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rugby World Cup
    Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 06:36
Originally posted by QueenCleopatra

Mine's O'Gara.

His feet are magic, he rarely misses a scoring oppertunity and he's leathally fast when he gets the ball and goes for a try.

Plus, he's good looking as well LOL
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2007 at 03:09
Anybody watch the Sout Africa/England game last night?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2007 at 04:50
Sure did. England were not up to scratch at all. And it is a big blow losing Robinson. Congratulations to South Africa, a great game plan and offense/defense. I'm not sure about the field goal game plan though...
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2007 at 06:33
It was no surprise. England haven't played a decent game since the world cup final four years ago.

Robinson was really unlucky though, he'd recaptured the form that made him the best player in the world 5 years ago, took the ball at pace and had flat foot south african defence and huge gap ahead of him, then pulled a hamstring. He's was down for his final game of rugby ever playing for the Barbarians in December, hopefully he'll be fit.

Edited by Paul - 15-Sep-2007 at 06:36
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 06:31
Originally posted by Knights

I'm not sure about the field goal game plan though...

I know what you mean. I hat it when they keep going for drop-goals Angry

Thanks to Australia beating Wales, I thionk our way to the finals are booked (at the risk of sounding cocky).

We will now almost surely face Wales in the quarters and then we have to wait and see whether it's France, Argentina or Ireland in the semis, and I don't think any of them would pose a serious threat to us. We have our way open without having to face Australia or New Zealand until the finals.
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 07:12
Originally posted by Dolphin

Originally posted by QueenCleopatra

Mine's O'Gara.

His feet are magic, he rarely misses a scoring oppertunity and he's leathally fast when he gets the ball and goes for a try.

Plus, he's good looking as well LOL

Lol yes that helps but it's not the only reason I like him.

Did you see the Georgia game? I don't know what's wrong with them but they keep playing the way we are we won't make it beyond the qualifiers.

They just seemed to have no get up and go in  them.

Edited by QueenCleopatra - 16-Sep-2007 at 07:45
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 08:55
hat of to the welsh they never gave in to the Aussies. Can't wait for our next game, its either England or SamoaWink.

Wish i saw the Georgia vs Ireland match, almost an upset. love upsets or close calls on other teams

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 16:04
Originally posted by Leonidas

Can't wait for our next game, its either England or SamoaWink.

Aren't England and Samoa in a different pool (A)? Australia's next matches are against Fiji and Canada.
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 10:02
Well we're past the pool stages and I have to say one thing that this world cup shows is the improvement of the "smaller" teams. Argentina proved that they should now be considered one of the big rugby nations and by winning their group, effectively avoided having to face New Zealand in the quarters. The strenght that Fiji demonstrates in the 7's format of the game is now showing in the World Cup, ousting Wales for a spot in the quarters. Tonga showed they are no push-overs and also hats-off to the USA who showed great fighting spirit and a huge improvement in their game since four years ago.

Another aspect of the tournament this year is the apparant dip that the Norhtern Hemisphere finds itself in. Argentina ousted Ireland from the tournament and relegated France to the 2nd place in the group. Fiji beat Wales to claim their first quarter final. England shows no depth in their game and is expected to loose out in the quarters to Australia, after having to really fight for their place in the quarters against Tonga.

One thing is clear though, Samoa, Fiji and Tonga really deserve to play more tests against the likes of Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, and Argentina is now a peer of these countries, although they seem to have closer ties to the likes of France so maybe more Northern hemisphere tests are appropriate.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 10:08
A good overview of the tournament so far, Eondt.

Here's the score:
QF1 - Australia vs. England
QF2 - New Zealand vs. France
QF3 - South Africa vs. Fiji
QF4 - Argentina vs. Scotland

My bets are bolded. As much as I'd love England to win, I'm not confident in them beating the Aussies.

If all goes to plan, here's how I think it will be played out:

SF1 - Australia vs. New Zealand
SF2 - South Africa vs. Argentina

GF - New Zealand vs. South Africa

(3rd Place - Australia vs. Argentina)

Happy watching!

- Knights -
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 11:19
hats off to the Canadians in their game against us, they have potential and play smartly.

if they improve from that and work on such skills as line outs and play the whole game at the level they can play the first half, then we could never take it for granted when we play them.

Edit: I missed out on the Fiji match live because it was getting late and i am spewing!!Angry

I like to see the three pacific nations get stronger, they have had a better run than i expected. with the below quote just a bit of tongue in cheek sledging

Originally posted by Knights

Originally posted by Leonidas

Can't wait for our next game, its either England or SamoaWink.

Aren't England and Samoa in a different pool (A)? Australia's next matches are against Fiji and Canada.

maybe next time i wont be jokingWink

Edited by Leonidas - 01-Oct-2007 at 11:35
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 11:56
I'm pretty much in agreement with your assessment of how the rest of the tournament is going to play out. I would off course like to see your final result swapped around but have to admit that New Zealand is in amazing form at the moment (although I also believe that we are the only team that can beat them).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 12:54
Except, of course, Australia is going to win.......Ermm
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2007 at 13:20
Though unlikely, never underestimate the French and their two geared Rugby team (unbelievably good and unbelievably bad) with nothing inbetween.  New Zealand are at a disadvantage, they haven't played a competitive game of Rugby yet this tournament, so have no idea what players are on form and what their best line up is. Australia's in that boat somewhat too.

Most of the Argentine players are based in England and France, there's talk of them joining the six nations playing their games in Barcelona. Also if they meet the Wallabies in the 3rd place play off they'll win. To them it's a final, to the Wallabies it's a reserve team game.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2007 at 15:41
Congratulations to the English. They played really well. Unfortunately it wasn't much of a competition... the Australians played absolutely terribly. Regardless, congrats to the English... good luck against the Kiwis. LOL
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2007 at 15:43
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Congratulations to the English. They played really well. Unfortunately it wasn't much of a competition... the Australians played absolutely terribly. Regardless, congrats to the English... good luck against the Kiwis. LOL

You JUST beat me to it Zaitsev. That was a great game - arguably the most intense and edge-of-seat of my life. Full marks to the Aussies, but they did not play up to scratch. As for us, I couldn't resist:
Hard%20Working

Oh...no...New Zealand! Shocked

(Well Done guys Smile)
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2007 at 16:30
Australia played like a team playing their first tough game of the tournament, whereas England played like a team playing their fourth. Australias easy group has come back to haunt them.

Here's to france in the semis.... fingers crossed.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 00:47
Paul. You legend.

France it is! The age-old rivalry...

I am stunned. I really thought New Zealand (and Australia) were fairly comfortably going to pull it off. But am I disappointed? Of course not.

Semi-Final 1: England vs. France

Nuke
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 01:07
Northerm Hemisphere 2 Southern 0

I've often wondered who the Aussies and Kiwis support when the other side is playing.

The English supported the French against New Zealand and the French the English against Australia.

I heard the rivalry between the Australian and New Zealand teams is such, that it won't be the same as with England and France.

Edited by Paul - 07-Oct-2007 at 01:11

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 01:45
Nah, go the kiwis! LOL (it depends on the sport I think, but in rugby we respect them)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>