Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRussian Rapes in Germany '44-45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Russian Rapes in Germany '44-45
    Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 15:00
I found a couple of links about Russian rapes in Germany in the 44-45 campaign. While the fact of it is undoubtable the extent is definatly debated. I have read anywhere from 100,000 to 15 million.

What do you think was the cause? And was it a deliberate policy?

I do not intend for this to belittle the trauma suffered by the victims at all, but is that even possible, what is claimed above?

Edited by Sparten - 05-Sep-2007 at 15:00
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 16:02
Dear Sparten, haven't we already had a very painful discussion about this here?

For sure, it wasn't a deliberate policy and it wasn't encouraged. The cause was simple: German atrocities in SU. The Soviet soldiers who fought in Germany had crossed the the Western USSR territories i.e. Belorus right before that. Nazis killed every 4th person there and frequently burned women and children alive. All this coupled with heavy casualties in the fighting in Germany provoked the anger and hatred of the Soivet soldiers on the German civilians.

However, I want to stress again that it definetely was a crime. You can explain the reasons, but you can't justify this barbarism against civilians.

One however should remember, that humans are not angels, and I'm not sure whether any one, who took part in the campaign on the Eastern front (which perhaps was the most terrible conflict in human hitsory) was able to keep his mental health intact.

As about the scales of these rapes, I do believe it was quite spread especially during the first months of the Soviet invasion to Germany, but the huge numbers given in the Western press, IMO can't be trusted because of the obvious bias caused by the Cold War etc.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 05-Sep-2007 at 16:15
Σαυρομάτης
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 00:04
Originally posted by Sarmat12

The cause was simple: German atrocities in SU. The Soviet soldiers who fought in Germany had crossed the the Western USSR territories i.e. Belorus right before that. Nazis killed every 4th person there and frequently burned women and children alive. All this coupled with heavy casualties in the fighting in Germany provoked the anger and hatred of the Soivet soldiers on the German civilians.

Sarmat12, Soviet soldiers raped also Polish women, though there was no reason to do it. I mean, nobody can't state that mass rapes during WWII happend only because of German atrocities in SU.

One however should remember, that humans are not angels, and I'm not sure whether any one, who took part in the campaign on the Eastern front (which perhaps was the most terrible conflict in human hitsory) was able to keep his mental health intact.

And this is the point.
How many people during a peace affraid to walk in streets after a night? Rapes happen everywhere. Even during a peace.
Now imagine that some state is involved in a total war. It sends its prisoners to a war. I mean it sends people who already raped and killed during a peace. Having guns what will these people do? What will be an influence of these people on 'normal' men? What will happen if the whole society has already experienced a psychological trauma?

As about the scales of these rapes, I do believe it was quite spread especially during the first months of the Soviet invasion to Germany, but the huge numbers given in the Western press, IMO can't be trusted because of the obvious bias caused by the Cold War etc.

Sarmat12, it might be interesting for you, that I was born in a town where was a Soviet military hospital in 1945. About 95% of patients were Soviet soldiers who had syphilis or gonorrhea. Only about 5% patients were wounded in military actions.
So, although I can't check an accuracy of different data about the scale of Soviet rapes, I am prone to believe that the scale was really huge.

Edited by ataman - 06-Sep-2007 at 00:04
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 00:30
Yes, may be they did. But what was the scale of it in Poland? Any statistics? For sure, it was much minor scale than in Germany. And can be attributed to the usual crime rate.

And again, do you seriously believe that those bastards were commanded to rape Polish women? For sure not.

Do you also know BTW that some Soviet soldiers were killed in Poland by Armia Krajowa?

But you are right. During the war hundred of thousands criminals were amnested and served in the Red Army a lot of them murderes and other dirty people.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 06-Sep-2007 at 00:33
Σαυρομάτης
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 00:36

Yes, may be they did. But what was the scale of it in Poland? Any statistics? For sure, it was much minor scale than in Germany. And can be attributed to the usual crime rate.

And again, do you seriously believe that those bastards were commanded to rape Polish women? For sure not.

Do you also know BTW that some Soviet soldiers were killed in Poland by Armia Krajowa?

But you are right. During the war hundred of thousands criminals were amnested and served in the Red Army a lot of them murderes and other dirty people.

I know that this is a hot topic that inflames passions on both sides of the issue.  But please try to remain civil and objective when discussing the history.  If you cannot, the thread will be closed I assure you.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 00:41
Dear Emperor,

What would be a better term to call the one who is eager to rape a women?

Perhaps, you misundrstood to whom that term was addressed.
Σαυρομάτης
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 00:41
double post

Edited by Sparten - 06-Sep-2007 at 00:50
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 00:44
Yes keep the language down!

As for the scale of the rapes, well I have doubts on the sheer numbers. 3 Million rapes? 3 million is about 6 Army Groups, as many as entered Germany in '45. Mass rapes by their natue mean that the discipline broke down, and this being in Prussia, where some of the most bitter battles of the war (and history) were fought. I really think the Sovs would have been hard pressed to achieve their victories if all their maon formations were busy "having fun".

Edited by Sparten - 06-Sep-2007 at 00:51
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 00:47

Dear Emperor,

What would be a better term to call the one who is eager to rape a women?

Perhaps, you misundrstood to whom that term was addressed.

No, I do understand.  Because I said this does not imply or mean that I condone the actions of the soldiers.  Please try to remain objective and keep national passions out of the historical discussion.  If you want to bring nationality into it, PM each other.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 01:17
Sorry, I don't get it. Where I brought nationality into the discussion?
Σαυρομάτης
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 01:20

Sorry, I don't get it. Where I brought nationality into the discussion?

I am not accusing anyone specifically.  It just seems that for some reason it will turn into Russians versus Poles eventually (or those who would take one or the other's side).  Perhaps I am reading too much into it.  Just try to remain civil, objective, and refrain from profanity.  This is all I ask at the present.  Thanks! Smile

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 06-Sep-2007 at 01:22
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 01:32
Smile Yeah, I think you indeed forsee what MIGHT happen. To be honest, I didn't have plans of atacking ataman for his ethnic background and don't think he would do that either.

Thank you for the reminder, anyway. But the topic is indeed very sensitive.
Σαυρομάτης
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 07:07
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 07:52

Yes, may be they did. But what was the scale of it in Poland? Any statistics? 

I hope the scale was lower in Poland. Unfortunately I don't know statistics, so I can't compare. Everything I know about this subject comes from my local level.

And again, do you seriously believe that those bastards were commanded to rape Polish women?

I don't believe they were commanded. I believe that this behaviour was tolerated.

Do you know why they were killed and what was the scale of this killing?
Anyway, it certainly can't be any justification of raping of civilian women (especially that we were allies in that time).

I hope that you also agree with my opinion that their behaviour influenced on normal soldiers.

Edited by ataman - 06-Sep-2007 at 08:02
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 08:47

To be honest, I didn't have plans of atacking ataman for his ethnic background and don't think he would do that either.

I confirm that I don't see anything offensive in our discussion. 
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 12:19
That's why the wars, beside their predominant negative effect on the mankind have some positive features. Citing Jaroslav Hasek in his novel "The Good Soldier Svejk" - the wars prevent human degradation, by enriching the gene pool of the relatively isolated populations (separeted by the distance, borders, racial and social prejudices as well as other artificial from biological point of view barriers). Thus the wars, usually connected with the presence of large numbers of single males in reproductive age (and the absence of local males, who are also gone to war), separated from their natural social lives, and possessing a power over the local civilian population, are as a rule leading to sexual relations with the local females (willing or not). So all goes to the winner.
However, some people try to present that such features belonged only to the Soviet army, which is far from reality, and is mostly connected with the western propaganda in post-war West Germany (aka we are the real "liberators", they're a bunch of murderers and rapists).
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 18:22
An insidious reason of past warfare has also been to balance out a dispropotion of male-female sex ratio within a population, so the surviving males also have greater access to females within those populations of people.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 16:26
Originally posted by Sparten

Yes keep the language down!

As for the scale of the rapes, well I have doubts on the sheer numbers. 3 Million rapes? 3 million is about 6 Army Groups, as many as entered Germany in '45. Mass rapes by their natue mean that the discipline broke down, and this being in Prussia, where some of the most bitter battles of the war (and history) were fought. I really think the Sovs would have been hard pressed to achieve their victories if all their maon formations were busy "having fun".

I think the number is more like 2,000,000 rapes. As far as discipline goes, the Soviets had had problems with that throughout the war. While the front-line formations generally behaved OK and maintained a high esprit-du-corps, it was the rear-echelon formations of mainly Asiatics (without wanting to sound racist) that wreaked havoc among the civilians. I've mentioned this on another thread but it is characteristic of them that they had not seen toilets before they entered Germany and, not knowing how to flush them, they simply kicked them in in order to empty them. I can't imagine how they behaved towards tall, blond, beautiful German women and girls.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 19:36
I think the number is more like 2,000,000 rapes. As far as discipline goes, the Soviets had had problems with that throughout the war. While the front-line formations generally behaved OK and maintained a high esprit-du-corps, it was the rear-echelon formations of mainly Asiatics (without wanting to sound racist) that wreaked havoc among the civilians. I've mentioned this on another thread but it is characteristic of them that they had not seen toilets before they entered Germany and, not knowing how to flush them, they simply kicked them in in order to empty them. I can't imagine how they behaved towards tall, blond, beautiful German women and girls.

Evil asiatic barbarian commies violating arian blondes?

I nominate this garbage for the AE nazi post of the month...
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 21:14

Right, Beylerbeyi.

I think doctor Goebbels would be very happy with this apprentice Dead

Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>