Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Champions League 2007/08

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Champions League 2007/08
    Posted: 24-Apr-2008 at 21:09
LOL @ Lucio...
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 04:57
I'm just watching the tape delay broadcast of that game.  I saw the highlights already though.  Woo, Ze Roberto just eared a penalty.  Ribery's penalty shot was straight to the Keeper but he mishandled it.  Ribery puts back in.  Bayern is sooo lucky this season.   Accept Lucio, of course.   Half hour passed, Lucio's doing his Samba dance in the midfield.  The American and the Scottish commentators are impressed by his skill.  Let's give them another half hour.Wink
I don't know about playing Podolski and Schweinsteiger together, especially when Ribery is out on the field same time, even if Luca Toni is suspended for this game.  It seems to just one too many guy to do same job.  Then again I was the one who was saying they shouldn't play Klose and Luca Toni together, either.  What do I know?  I am contantly impressed with Ribery, Van Bommel and Ze Roberto.  Demichelis, too.  Cmon, he's gotta work next to Lucio.    42nd min, great counter attack started by Podolski. Great linking passes from Podolski to Ribery to Schweinsteiger, left to right.  Perhaps I'm wrong about those two German boys.  Why don't they use Lahm more often for attacking.  Oh yeah, he's gotta stay back and look after Lucio.Big%20smile  They should just move Lucio up to the defensive central midfield.  I don't know if he's quick or pacey enough for that job but he can't do much worse than where he's at now.  Half time.  Alright, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy 2nd half, one man comedy show on tour by Lucio. 
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 05:54
Kahn just got hurt.
54th min, Lucio thrusts through the middle again.  You go, Lucinaldinho!.   Missed outlet pass to wide open Podolski.  Podolski's yelling at Lucinaldinho. 

And it finally happened.  Lucinaldinho turned into Lucinaldo, scores a beautiful header!  For Zenit.  Very similar to Riise' own goal against(for) Chelsea, but Riise' case was much harder to handle because it was low and strong, bounced right in front of him too.  Riise just couldn't put his head down fast enough.  In Lucio's case, I don't know, I think he just wanted to see his name on the score sheet.
 Zenit was smelling blood, attacked hard but Bayern fended them off.   Lell came in, is that mean Lahm's gonna push up more? 
82nd min, Zenit took the ball into the box, Lucio and the new keeper plays dumb and dumber, Ze Roberto slide-clears the sure winning goal.  That was soooo close. 
Lucinaldinho comes out again.  I said Lahm, not you.  You gotta give him some credit for trying.
Good closing mins.  Both looking dangerous.  Lucinaldinho kicks a free kick, hits Podolski's head really hard, the ball bounces around and finds Podolski wide open.  Podolski misses.
Lucinaldo shoots again, to Zenit's goal this time, hits the side net. 

Game over.  Good job for Zenit.   A tie and an away goal.  Good job, Lucinaldinho!Clap

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 25-Apr-2008 at 16:57
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 19:16
bayern will have a hard time next season again. with Kahn retireing and Lahm leaving their rear will have huge holes...
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 20:27
Originally posted by Temujin

bayern will have a hard time next season again. with Kahn retireing and Lahm leaving their rear will have huge holes...

I've heard that, too.  I think they will be alright though.  Bayern's looking at American keeper Kasey Keller to replace Kahn?   Keller is a descent keeper.    Last time I remember he was with Munchengladbach.   I don't know if he can lead a top team though.  I would consider Lehman before Keller.  If not, steal either Hilderbrand or Canizares from Valencia.  Or better idea, how about that Getafe keeper, Abbondanzieri?Cheers

Lahm will be missed.  I understand his frustration, though.  He is way underused offensively considering what he is capable of.  I think he might be better suited for a La Liga team.  If it has to be a German team, Bremen or back to Stuttgart?  Speaking of an offensively capable wingback,  whatever happened to Placente from Leverkusen?

Bayern is also stealing Tim Borowski Bremen.  I like him.  I think he could be taller Ballack type player with better defense.  

But perhaps the biggest concern is what to do with Lucinaldinho.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2008 at 22:00

Chelsea 3 Liverpool 2!!!!!!!!!!!ClapClapClapClap

my team win tonight after a pretty breath-taking match and the blues get their historic entry into the Champions League final against Man Utd!!!!!!

..this one was for Frank Lampard and his family.nice one Lamps, you deserved this.

and now??..we concentrate on pipping Utd to the Premiership title!!!!!Praying

..all the best

AoO

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 30-Apr-2008 at 22:37
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2008 at 22:18
So Chelsea will have a home match in the final?LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2008 at 22:39
Originally posted by beorna

So Chelsea will have a home match in the final?LOL

...absolutely!!!..Wink...but its gonna cost a bloody 95 for the visa!!!!!
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2008 at 02:11
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

Chelsea 3 Liverpool 2!!!!!!!!!!!ClapClapClapClap

my team win tonight after a pretty breath-taking match and the blues get their historic entry into the Champions League final against Man Utd!!!!!!

..this one was for Frank Lampard and his family.nice one Lamps, you deserved this.

and now??..we concentrate on pipping Utd to the Premiership title!!!!!Praying

..all the best

AoO

Congrats, AoO, yet again.CheersClap  I hope you don't get tired of me starting almost every post with that lately.Wink

What a game, what a game.  It had everything.  Pressure, drama and controversy amounted even before the kick off.  From the recent history between these two in CL Semis, to Mourinho's exit and pressure on Avram, to Rafa's season long struggle, all the rumors of coming changes/transfers for both in the summer, to Lampard's personal tragedy to pre-game media jabbings between Drogba and Rafa.......  even American owned team vs Russian owned team.    All those those ingredients simmered into an wild emotional roller coaster of an epic proportion.   The rain was almost blessed coolant to keep everyone from blowing a gasket.  

I liked both team's lineup from the get go, more so with Chelsea.    I don't know whose idea it was at first to put Essien on the right back, but that has worked out great every time they used it.  He's strong enough and fast enough to smother any winger in the world.  And on the other side, it's easier for him to slip out  the flank attack  using his speed and skill.  Of course, I love him on central midfield too.  But he has harder time slipping out because of his defensive duty in the central.  Like when they were resting Makalele for this game against Man Utd, he's absolutely needed in the central.  If this was Avram's idea, he deserves a raise for this move alone.    I liked seeing Benayoun starting.  Both him and Torres were well guarded most of the game, but they linked up for the most important regulation tying goal, so it worked out, imao.  I never liked Kuyt, Babel, or Pennent.  I like even Voronin better.  Babel's last goal was Cech's blunder.  Another thing I still wonder, whatever happened to that great Liverpool back line of Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise?  Losing Aurelio in the first leg and  Skrtel early in this one didn't help, either.   I like Macherano a lot but I don't know what is his best position for this team. 

Drogba, Lampard, Ballack, Essien are the co-players of the match for me.  Drogba looked little out of sinc when Chelsea was trying to just defend the one goal lead but he stepped up again when it counted the most.   Makalele had one of the worst game  by his standard, especially letting Benayoun to get by him to set up Torres for the tying goal, but if it wasn't for Makalele, Essien would not be able to leave the central defensive midfield and Lampard would have to stay back more, also.  Ballack had great game, no great month.  He should force Sheva to hang out with him more.

Now, has Avram done enough to keep his job?  What about Drogba, Lampard and Essien.  Will this team still go through with seemingly apparent house cleaning, if they win CL and/or EPL?  Do trophies heal the woulds?  Forgive and forget?

Is it time for Rafa to 'walk alone'?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2008 at 11:19

Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

Congrats, AoO, yet again.  I hope you don't get tired of me starting almost every post with that lately.

….ha ha..no not at all KK!!!….i just hope that you will be posting similar news on the 22nd May!!!!!…

..it was indeed a great game and I am still catching my breath and recovering today….i think Grant chose the strongest team possible and Essien once again proving his huge worth…he really does bolster that right-hand side as well as giving us a great attacking option and with an eye for the odd goal!!!!

..yes, it looked like a fine a goal from Babel but Cech was to blame….still, at least one blunder like this seems to be a traditional element in Chelsea matches these day!!….a bit worrying that it invariably seems to come from one of the traditionally ‘safe’ players….

…I personally think that Grant has done enough to keep his job, I do genuinely like the man…..i have an old friend who is exactly like Avram and my friend has many hidden qualities that belie that harsh exterior…its personal intuition I know, but I think Grant is ok…….i think its too hard to call whether Drogs, Lampard and Essien will go or stay even if Chelsea do manage to win the final or even get the Premiership title….being a Chelsea fan for so long has made me very wary, if not cynical about Chelsea’s performances…great one day, damn bloody awful the next, not to say that I am not enjoying the winning formula right now!!!! but I have learnt hard, hurting lessons in the past that you just cannot adequate predict what will happen with Chelsea next, either on or off the pitch…I think the Newcastle game this coming Monday will provide a few pointers for the finale of the season and the Champions League final although I suspect that Chelsea do have the psychological edge over Man Utd at the moment…

…I will be meeting up a few Liverpool supporting mates later today for a long bout of  football jousting and ribbing!!!…..it should be yet another entertaining evening!!!!..

..All the best….AoO…

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 05:51
More on UEFA CUP in this CL thread.  Zenit killed Bayern.  I only saw last half hour.  It was already 3:0 by the time I tuned in.  After the 1st leg I thought Bayern would win considering Zenit was missing  two starting defenders suspended for the YC accumulation from the 1st leg.  I thought Zenit could only win in a shoot out situation because Bayern would surely score a couple on the weakened Zenit back line.  But, noooo.   It ended 4:0 slaughter house.   I can make so many WWII cheap shot, but I won't.

I'm also happy that Korean players will be represented in both CL and UEFA CUP final this year.  Man Utd's Park Ji Sung has been integral part against Barcelona and has great chance to staring again in the final against Chelsea in Moskow.  He has already scored a goal in CL Semi vs AC Milan in 2004 when he was with PSV which featured another Korean Lee Young Pyo who also perfomed well in Tottenham's resurgent two seasons ago, now back with PSV.  Zenit has two Koreans also Lee Ho and Kim Dong Jin.  Both are young bench players though.   Lee Ho came in 89th min today after the game was decided already.   Of course, 2004 PSV was managed by Guus Hiddink who managed South Korea in 2002 WC and currently with Russia who knocked out England from Euro 08, has been lured by Chelsea which owned by a Russian and has Samsung written on their chest.  Hiddink started a Dutch boom in Korea whose major companies are studying the Dutch business and management model and now investing and developing heavily in Siberia and Sakhlin island's resources.  This Zenit team is managed by another Dutchman Dick Advocaat who also managed South Korea in Germany WC 2006 who also managed Rangers few years back, the team he will play against in the final.  South Korea had four Dutch masters in a row since Hiddink.  They have Korean manager for now who was 2nd Korean player ever to play in European club back in the 80's for PSV. Of course the 1st Korean export was Cha Bum Keun who won UEFA Cup twice with Frankfurt and Leverkusen joining very short list of players who won the cup with two different teams like Maradona.  He also scored 98 goals in Bundesliga and voted for Asian Footballer of the Century.  His son Cha Doo Ri who was born and raised in Germany also played in Budesliga for Hamburg.  I know it's little confusing but I tried to be as concise as possible.  Anyway, I like this Korean-Dutch-Russian-Anglo-German theme going on here.

P.S. for Ulrich and Temujin and any other who can understand German or Korean.

German Kimchi Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwizLVr9CoM

Brauner Bomber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAnKC_15d78&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSbPVW_61_g&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cha_Bum-Kun

Cha Doo Ri speaking German
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4ZWCxrib-I&feature=related

I don't know how Bayern vs Zenit turned into Tscha Boom Special.  It's a product of an agile tangent sleepy mind.Big%20smile

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 02-May-2008 at 07:41
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 13:14
Go Chelsea!!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 20:17
first of all a big LOL at Bayern. couldn't have gotten a better birthday present than this.

Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

I've heard that, too.  I think they will be alright though.  Bayern's looking at American keeper Kasey Keller to replace Kahn?   Keller is a descent keeper.    Last time I remember he was with Munchengladbach.   I don't know if he can lead a top team though.  I would consider Lehman before Keller.  If not, steal either Hilderbrand or Canizares from Valencia.  Or better idea, how about that Getafe keeper, Abbondanzieri?Cheers

i thought Keller is playing for Karlsruhe, isn't he? would be an interesting choice though, considdering Kahn also started his career there.... Stuttgart is looking for a new goalie as well, considdering his abysmal performance in many (key) games. Hildebrandt left too early, he was dearly needed in the CL against Barca, Lyon and the Rangers....

Lahm will be missed.  I understand his frustration, though.  He is way underused offensively considering what he is capable of.  I think he might be better suited for a La Liga team.  If it has to be a German team, Bremen or back to Stuttgart?  Speaking of an offensively capable wingback,  whatever happened to Placente from Leverkusen?

he will quite definately leave the country from what i heard, not sure if it was Italy or Spain. Lahm actually wasn't a Stuttgart player, he is originally Bayern player that was just lent to Stuttgart where he was finally allowed to develop his talent. Bayern again prooves their ineptitude by wasting him this way. Bayern has a good cadre but i feel they completely lack in "tactics".

Bayern is also stealing Tim Borowski Bremen.  I like him.  I think he could be taller Ballack type player with better defense.

theres already a joke goign aroudn that Klinsmann wants to buy every German national team player to play for Bayern. LOL i wonder about Gomez' future, he developed remarkably and is now by far the best German offense player and also the most effective in the Bundesliga (even though Luca Toni lies ahead of him on the list, Gomez scored more goals in fewer matches). Gomez gives himself very loyal. he said he will never leave Stuttgart except for Barca if they would ask for him.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 23:21
United!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 06:57

There should be a law against playing on in that much rain. Terrys miss was because he slipped, and Ronaldos was because he had to adjust himself.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 07:00
It was an exciting but not a very good match.

So in the end it was a deserved win of Man U.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 07:07
If its not Dortmund, then you don't care do you UVH?
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 07:29
Originally posted by Sparten

If its not Dortmund, then you don't care do you UVH?

No, no, i saw the entire match... looking out for yellow/black jerseys.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 01:37

@ Sparten.

Methinks Ronaldo was undid by being a little too smart in how he wanted to take the penalty. He hesitated to wait for the keeper to commit himself to a corner so he could hit it easily in the opposite corner. When the keeper didn't commit, Ronaldo suddenly didn't know what corner to hit it in, decided to get a good contact with the ball, meaning less direction, and it was an easy save. His penalty tactics are a little questionable I think, especially against the best keepers.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 07:01

He slipped. Perhaps what you are saying was true, but he did slip slightly. Penalty is the kickers to miss, not the keepers to save, good shot top right hand cornor and there is no keeper in the world who can take it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>