Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is a .srt file?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a .srt file?
    Posted: 29-Aug-2007 at 05:35

I've been downloading a movie over the past day and it finished this arvo and when I opened it it had no english subtitles like it was supposed to. Apart from the .avi file of the movie I got a .srt file, what is this file and does it have anything to do with getting the subtitles? If so how would I get them on the video so i can watch it?

if it helps these are the 2 files I got:

Infernal.Affairs.(Mou.gaan.dou).avi
Infernal.Affairs.(Mou.gaan.dou)-EN.srt
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2007 at 06:26
.srt files are the subtitles. You can open them with programs like Crystal Player (shareware). Not sure if more recent versions of Media or Real Player can open them. 
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2007 at 08:00
Try VLC player
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 02:57
Thanks guys. After looking through pages and pages from forums, downloading codecs, renaming files, and changing settings on media player and DivX I ended up just giving up trying to get it to work on one of those 2 players and ended up just getting VLC cause alot of people from these forums recommended it aswell and it worked it straight off, why can't movies just be easy for once....
 Post Reply Post Reply