Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All-time Baseball Dream Team

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
what_is_history View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote what_is_history Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All-time Baseball Dream Team
    Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 18:10

As I watched Barry Bonds hit his record breaking 756th homerun, I started to wonder (as does every fan of baseball) where Barry ranked on the all-time list of legendary players. As controversial as he is, there are no doubt many who feel Barry Bonds is less than legendary. Despite the allegations of Sterroids being used by modern players, the question remains: who were the greatest of all-time? Are the players of today tainted due to alleged drug use, or would they annihilate the players of the past? Was Babe Ruth simply an enigma of his time, or would he have hit 850 homeruns with today's training and advancements?

Obviously there is no certain way to answer such questions, which is what makes speculating so much fun! Unlike any other sport, however, the nature of the game of baseball allows us to compare and contrast athletes with more accuracy than in other sports. Reguardless of the era, both Cy Young and Roger Clemens could throw heat; both Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds could crush a baseball 450 feet with relative ease. It is with this in mind that I have decided to reveal my choices for Baseball's all-time Dream Team:

THE STARTERS

Catcher: Johnny Bench
Bench won 2 MVP titles, 10 Gold Gloves, and was an 11 time all-star. He finished with a career .267 average, 387 homeruns, and a career .987 fielding percentage. You would be hard-pressed to find a better fielding catcher than Bench.

1st Base: Lou Gehrig
Having spent his entire career in the shadow of the Babe, it's easy to forget how great Gehrig was. The "Iron Horse" had a career average of .340 and hit 493 homeruns. He is considered by many baseball experts to be one of the top 5 greatest players ever. The man could do it all.

2nd Base: Ryne Sandberg
Sandberg won 9 Gold Gloves, appeared in 10 All-star games, and was the 1984 MVP of the National League. For his career, Sandberg hit 282 homeruns and had a career .285 batting average. Sure there have been better hitting 2nd basemen, but find me a better fielding 2B with those kind of hitting numbers!

3rd Base: Mike Schmidt
There is no doubt about this one. Schmidt finished his career with 548 homeruns and nearly 1600 RBI's. Schmidt also won an astonishing 10 Gold Glove awards and 3 league MVP titles. Simply the all-around best at this position.

Sh. Stop: Alex Rodriguez
I realize that he currently plays 3rd Base, since Jeter won't move, but that doesn't mean A-Rod can't play that position. Ridriguez won 3 Gold Gloves as a Shortstop, and is sure to win some at 3b. Every year except his rookie year, Rodriguez has finished in the top 10 for MVP voting (he has already won the award twice). He is also the quickest to 500 homeruns. Rodriques ALREADY has 504 homeruns, 1460 RBI's, and a career average of .305. Watch out Bonds!

Left Field: Barry Bonds
I realize that Bonds is very controversial. I also accept the possibility that his records are tainted. Regardless of what your personal opinion is of the man, we must all take note of his INCREDIBLE numbers. Bonds has won 9 Gold Gloves, 15 All-star appearances, 7 MVP's (a record), is the all-time homerun king (for a career and a single season), the all-time base on balls leader, will soon join Babe and Hank with 2000 RBI's, and is 2nd to Ruth in career slugging percentage. I'll take Bonds with or without the juice!

Center Field: Willie Mays
Without question Mays is the greatest Center Fielder ever! He won 13 Gold Gloves, 5 MVP's, 660 career homeruns, and a career batting average of .302. The man was amzing in the field and at the plate!

Right Field: Babe Ruth
The Sultan of Swat, the Colossus of Crush, the GREAT BAMBINO! No matter the era, Ruth's numbers don't lie. He is simply the greatest ever. Ruth finished his career with 714 homeruns, a career .342 hitter, 2217 RBI's, and would have won 6 Gold Gloves had the award existed back then. Oh...and he was at bat 4000 fewer times than Hank Aaron and 1500 times fewer than Bonds (imagine what his record would be with those many at bats!!!). And let us not forget, Ruth also could PITCH. His pitching career ended with 94 wins, 9 shutouts, and a 1.75 ERA.

The Bench

Catcher: Yogi Berra-.285 batting average, 358 HR. Great fielder
2B: Rogers Hornsby-.358 batting average, 2930 hits, 301 HR.
SS: Honus Wagner-.327 batting average, 3415 hits, 722 stolen bases. Great fielder.
3B: Pete Rose-.303 batting average, 4256 hits (most ever). Plays many positions.
OF: Ty Cobb-.366 batting average, 4189 hits, 892 stolen bases.
OF: Ted Williams-.344 batting average, 521 HR, lat player to hit over .400
OF: Hank Aaron-.305 batting average, 755 HR, 2297 RBI.

PITCHING

Starting Rotation:
1.) Roger Clemens-352 wins, 4703 K's, career 3.12 ERA
2.) Nolan Ryan-324 wins, 5714 K's (record), 3.19 career ERA
3.) Steve Carlton-329 wins, 4136 K's, career 3.22 ERA
4.) Christy Mathewson-373 wins, 2502 K's, career 2.13 ERA
5.) Sandy Koufax-In only 10 seasons, Koufax recorded 165 wins, 2400 K's and had a career 2.76 ERA.  Also recorded 5 No-hitters.  Incredible in playoffs!

Bullpen:
Warren Spahn-363 wins, 2583 K's, career 3.09 ERA
Randy Johnson-284 wins, 4616 K's, 3.22 career ERA
Tom Seaver-311 wins, 3640 K's, 2.86 career ERA
Dennis Eckersley-390 career saves
CLOSER- Mariano Rivera-451 career saves, 2.31 career ERA

THE BATTING ORDER:
1.)Ty Cobb: Designated Hitter.  Hey, I need a leadoff guy.  He's perfect.
2.)Alex Rodriguez: Shortstop
3.)Babe Ruth: Right Field
4.)Barry Bonds: Left Field
5.)Lou Gehrig: 1st Base
6.)Willie Mays: Center Field
7.)Mike Schmidt: 3rd Base
8.)Ryne Sandberg: 2nd Base
9.)Johnny Bench: Catcher

"It aint what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
-Mark Twain
mcpon14 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mcpon14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2014 at 01:47
I'd probably replace the 2nd baseman for Rogers Hornsby.
 Post Reply Post Reply