Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Writing in medieval West Africa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing in medieval West Africa
    Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 04:16
It's damn hard to find any reliable information online about pre-colonial writing systems in West Africa. And I don't have any books on the subject. But here's what I've been able to find so far. As has been brought up in other threads, the "true" writing systems of West Africa all date to the 19th and 20th centuries. Here's a list with the dates of origin:
A. Liberia and Sierra Leone:
a. The Vai syllabary - 212 characters 1883
b. The Mende syllabary - 195 characters 1921
c. The Loma syllabary - 185 characters 1930
d. The Kpelle syllabary - 88 characters 1930
e. The Bassa 'Vah' alphabet - 30 characters, 5 diacritics 1920
f. The Gola alphabet - 30 characters 1930

B. Guinea, Senegal and Mali,
a. The Mandingo alphabet - 25 characters, 8 diacritics 1950
b. Bambara "Ma-sa-ba" script 1930
c. The Wolof alphabet - 25 characters, 7 diacritics 1960
d. The Fula (Dita) alphabet - 39 characters 1958
e. The Fula (Ba) alphabet
f. The Gerze script

C. Cote d'Ivoire
a. The Bete syllabary - 401 characters 1956
b. The Guro script

D. Cameroon and Nigeria
a. The Bamum syllabary - 80 characters 1895
b. The Bagam or Eghap syllabary - 100 plus characters 1917
c. The Ibibio-Efik alphabet - 34 characters 1930
d. The Yoruba holy alphabet
e. Nsibidi
f. A syllabary found among the Djuka of Suriname

source

But writing in some form predates the arrival of either the Latin alphabet or the Arabic. The Nsibidi symbols go back at least as far as the fifth century AD. Here's an article on Nsibidi ceramics. These early symbols weren't "writing" in the traditional sense. As near as I can tell each symbol or pictograph has a fluid meaning and is not a direct record of speech. But still, symbols can be strung together to send a message in visual form, even if this message is not a "sentence" per se. If nothing else you could call this a precursor to full writing systems. It certainly didn't take West Africans long to combine their own symbols with European ideas to develop alphabets as soon as the idea was presented to them. I think it's fair to say that Nsibidi or the Akan symbols are as much a writing system as Aztec writing or Incan. Maybe more so.

In fact, some of these symbols were brought to the Americas by slaves, who then used them to sew messages into quilts that their white masters didn't even recognize as writing. Some of these symbols are still in use today.

Those are Asante symbols. Look, I'm even using primary sources. I took that photo myself. :-P

All this stuff about the Harappan script or Mayan writing being African in origin is bunk as far as I'm concerned. Real African history is much more interesting.

That's all I've been able to find on the subject though. Surely someone else has more information to share? I'd love to know more.

Edited by jdalton - 23-Aug-2007 at 04:19
Lords of Death and Life (a Mesoamerican webcomic)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 04:18

hmm, any examles of african writing.

jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 04:21
If you scroll down, this link has some examples of post-colonial alphabets. I haven't been able to find any comprehensive lists of the symbol writing systems.

EDIT: Though this site has a few examples of Akan / Asante symbols and their meaning.

EDIT AGAIN: On that last site you have to click on the black and white symbol on the right hand side to get the list of symbols with definitions.

Edited by jdalton - 23-Aug-2007 at 04:32
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 09:09
Interesting... One thing I've alwayts wondered about was what alphabet, if any, did the Sahel kingdoms use before the arrival of Islam. After all, the beginnings of civilization on the banks of the Niger date as far back as the 5th century BC, almost a millenium and a half before they would have started using the Arabic script, and there was a settled civilization in the area during that time.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 09:53
Originally posted by jdalton

It's damn hard to find any reliable information online about pre-colonial writing systems in West Africa. ...
But writing in some form predates the arrival of either the Latin alphabet or the Arabic. The Nsibidi symbols go back at least as far as the fifth century AD. Here's an article on Nsibidi ceramics. These early symbols weren't "writing" in the traditional sense. As near as I can tell each symbol or pictograph has a fluid meaning and is not a direct record of speech. But still, symbols can be strung together to send a message in visual form, even if this message is not a "sentence" per se. If nothing else you could call this a precursor to full writing systems. It certainly didn't take West Africans long to combine their own symbols with European ideas to develop alphabets as soon as the idea was presented to them. I think it's fair to say that Nsibidi or the Akan symbols are as much a writing system as Aztec writing or Incan. Maybe more so.

Symbology and writing  are not the same thing. For instance the Andean people of Peru and the Mapuche natives of Chile preserve large repertories of symbols that are embeded in theirs textiles. You can even "read" histories in them if you know the meaning of the symbols.

However, both pre-contact Mapuches and Peruvian lacked writing in the sense it is understood by scholars: systems to record ideas and speech.

With respect to the comparison of Nsibidi or the Akan symbology with Incas, Moches or other ancient Peruvians I believe you are correct. It is the same kind of thing. However, with respect to Aztecs, Mayans and Olmecs it is a different story because in Mesoamerica full hierogliphic writing systems developed. Today archaeologists can read history directely from the source by reading them: that's writing.

Pinguin

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2007 at 12:05

It's damn hard to find any reliable information online about pre-colonial writing systems in West Africa. And I don't have any books on the subject.

I would say to ignore most of what you find online since it is probably propaganda of some sort.  Although I don't know anything about your subject, I do know that pre-colonial/colonial Africa is a charged, hot-button topic and that most of what you would find online is going to be overtly biased.  The best thing to do is concentrate on using scholarly books; it is the only safe way around this in any topic you will research.  Mine the bibliographies for more sources and soon you will have enough.

jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 03:28
Pinguin- True enough that opening up the term "writing" to semi-written systems and symbols allows all sorts of other cultures into the mix, and you're welcome to use whatever definition of writing you like, but...

Can Aztec writing be considered such by your strict definition? The Mayans had not only logographic symbols but also strictly phonetic ones. They were able to write anything from historical accounts to accounting information to astronomy textbooks to epic novels. But I've only ever seen the Aztecs use symbols for names and dates. Where are the Aztec epics I've been missing?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 11:03

Pinguin- True enough that opening up the term "writing" to semi-written systems and symbols allows all sorts of other cultures into the mix, and you're welcome to use whatever definition of writing you like, but...

Can Aztec writing be considered such by your strict definition? The Mayans had not only logographic symbols but also strictly phonetic ones. They were able to write anything from historical accounts to accounting information to astronomy textbooks to epic novels. But I've only ever seen the Aztecs use symbols for names and dates. Where are the Aztec epics I've been missing?

You are very right on that point. Mayans have a full script that can be read like modern Japanese. Like that language, Maya is a mixture of ideograms and phonetic scripts. So, no doubt is a writing system in the proper sense.

In the case of Aztecs is very difficult to say if we are talking about actual writing or just memorizing schematics. Aztecs had glyphs like Mayans, but the system is of inferior quality and disorganized. And, although Aztecs had paper and scripts, they resort to memorization to fill the holes.

In fact, most of what is known about the Aztecs was writen down by the Spaniards and Native chroniclers after the conquest. There are full Aztec epics surviving, but they were also put down in writing with Latin characters. If anything, Aztec was a very primitive system of writing that needed more development.

By constast, all the details we know about Mayans have been read from the stones.

Now, most people of the world own symbolic systems, particularly in religious matters. However, those are not considered writing.

Pinguin

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 11:07
This is very interesting. Although it should not be overly amazing to me that some form of visual communication must have been established in Africa... Even if it is a rudimentary form of communication, it is still amazing how peoples found ways to convey messages to one another without speaking or even seeing each other. Can you find us some more?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 11:34
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

This is very interesting. Although it should not be overly amazing to me that some form of visual communication must have been established in Africa... Even if it is a rudimentary form of communication, it is still amazing how peoples found ways to convey messages to one another without speaking or even seeing each other. Can you find us some more?

Systems of transmiting information by means of symbology are widespread across human cultures, a lot more than writing; which is something more specific to convey speach.

For instance, if you study Western esoterism, for example, you'll find secret codes and symbols wherever you go. An example of this are the iconography of the cathedrals, of magic and even of freemasonry. The same kind of symbols are found in secret and religious societies in India, China, Africa and the Americas. You can also find developed symbolic systems between Australian Aborigins. It is part of human nature.
Examples of western symbols are many: the heart symbol, the cross, the star of david, the swastica, the serpent bitting its tail, the pentagram, etc.

In the case of West Africa, in Ghana are symbolic systems that are quite interesting and that exist since pre-colonial times, particularly associated with religion

Pinguin

jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 23:52

Can you find us some more?

I wish I could, but this is not my field and the only resource I have at my disposal is Google. If I ever get my hands on a book on the subject, believe me, this forum will be the first to know.

I'm still hoping someone will come along who knows more about African writing than I do and share their knowledge.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 00:25

Can you find us some more?

I wish I could, but this is not my field and the only resource I have at my disposal is Google. If I ever get my hands on a book on the subject, believe me, this forum will be the first to know.

I'm still hoping someone will come along who knows more about African writing than I do and share their knowledge.

I know you said that all you have at your disposal is Google.  However, I have a few more resources at mine although I don't know much about the topic.  Here are some book references:

Gary Barr. History and activities of the West African kingdoms. Chicago : Heinemann Library, 2007.

George E. Brooks. Landlords and strangers : ecology, society, and trade in Western Africa, 1000-1630. Boulder, CO: Westview, 1993. (* Has several chapters/sections on "Language Groups and Linguistic Relationships" and "Social and Cultural Paradigms.")

Basil Davidson. West Africa before the colonial era : a history to 1850. London: Longman, 1998. (* Has a chapter on religion, arts, and learning.)

Obaro Ikime and S. O. Osoba, eds. Peoples and kingdoms of West Africa in the pre-colonial period. London: Longman, 1974.

Dierk Lange. Ancient kingdoms of West Africa : African-centred and Canaanite-Israelite perspectives ; a collection of published and unpublished studies in English and French. Dettelbach, Germany: Rll, 2004.

Robin Law, ed. The English in West Africa, 1691-1699. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.

Nehemia Levtzion and Jay Spaulding. Medieval West Africa : views from Arab scholars and merchants. Princeton, NJ: Markus Wiener Publishers, 2003.

Pierre-Damien Mvuyekure, ed. West African kingdoms, 500-1590. Detroit, MI: Gale Group, 2004.

Robery Sydney Smith. Warfare & diplomacy in pre-colonial West Africa. London: J. Currey, 1989.

Keep in mind (if you can get ahold of these books) that even if they are not on the exact subject you are researching, you can always glean information by inference.  I have indicated with an asterisk (*) where there is a chapter on literacy or language.

jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 00:32
Cool. Now I just have to figure out where I can find any of these books living in frikkin' Abbotsford. But I'll look. 
 Post Reply Post Reply