Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite football player

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Online Status: Offline
  Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite football player
    Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 09:19
Zidane, excellent with his head!. Thumbs%20Up 
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 09:27
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Originally posted by Surmount

Why don't Americans like soccer?

Cause they don't have a vaguest notion of it.

First, they are pretty bad at it.  Second, I don't know about hamburger breaks but they do need to stop the game every five minutes and go to McDonalds and Budweiser commercials.  Third, if you don't need to abuse steroids, it ain't competitive sport.  And last but not the least, there ain't no dog fighting in soccer.Wink
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 10:02
Anyway, my favorite player is Robinho.  People knock on him so much that make me like him even more.  They say he's not big or strong enough to be successful in Europe.  I always like to believe that superior intelligence, technique, creativity and aesthetics beats a brute force any day.  They say he's too selfish.  Didn't they used to say that about Ronaldinho too?  Romario?  Besides, I bet Van Nistelrooy don't think Robinho is too selfish.  They say he's too much of a show-off.  If they had his skills they would show off too.  They say Messi is better than him.  Hmmm, Robinho brought La Liga trophy and Copa America trophy home this summer, both in expanse of yes, Messi.  But most of all he brings the joy of football, yes that cheeky school boy nonsense to the big stage.  It's like Miles Davis playing in Glenn Miller's Big Band, so ahead of his time.   
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 10:16
Robinho suits an italian or especially Spanish game, he wouldn't excel in England..Hes good but he's not my favourite. Id rather take rooney, Ronaldo, or Tevez off the bench if I needed a quick goal.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 14:15

....Peter Beardsley....perhaps more known for his apparent poor looks than his fine footballing skill....

..Matt Le Tissier....as i am sure gcle2003 will probably agree...

..Paul Gascoigne before his career ending injuries....

...Zidane for being so cool in football without even breaking into a sweat, what a player..phew!!!..

...and lastly Johann Cruyff....quite possibly my all time favourite...
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 01:59
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

....Peter Beardsley....perhaps more known for his apparent poor looks than his fine footballing skill....

..Matt Le Tissier....as i am sure gcle2003 will probably agree...

..Paul Gascoigne before his career ending injuries....

...Zidane for being so cool in football without even breaking into a sweat, what a player..phew!!!..

...and lastly Johann Cruyff....quite possibly my all time favourite...

Act, please try to keep serious.
Beardsley, come on, Gasa the crybaby, did you forget Georg Best and David Platt the smirker?
English fans have a bit limited percption.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 07:00
Too bad George Best never got to play in World Cup.  Sad life story too, but as were many gifted artists.  He was like Van Gogh of Football.  What if he was born little later as an English?  Best and Lineker in 82?  That would have been something I would have like to see.  He actually wanted Ireland and Northern Ireland to field an unified team.  That would have been nice, even politically, especially in 70's.  I'm gonna light up another cigarette for him.

On French side who's best French footballer ever?  Platini or Zidane?  Or Just Fontaine?  Henry?  Tigana? Cantona?  I know Ulrich will say Ribery.  Platini was great but Zidane brought home the bacon.  Both also played great for Juventus.

Speaking of 82 and Platini, anybody remember the Polish Platini from 82?  That would be a good football trivia.

Of course, the best Dutch player ever would be Cruyff, but who's the second?  Van Basten?  Guulit?  Rijkaard?  Kluivert?  De Boer?  In this case nobody brought home the bacon.

I haven't seen much of German players prior to 80's exception of Beckenbauer and Gerd Muller.  My first favorite German was Rummenigge.   Who's better, Rummenigge, Klinsman, Matthaus, or Ballack?  In this case they all brought home the bacon exception of Rummenigge but he made the final twice.

Who's best Icelander ever?  Gudjohnson or Ulrich?  In this case they went to market and got some Canadian Bacon.  Just kidding.LOL

Hey, did anybody catch Norway beating Argentina the other day, even though it was just a friendly?  I didn't know Carew was a Norwegian.

Speaking of friendly, Bosnia and Croatia played against each other in a 'friendly' also same day.

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 26-Aug-2007 at 07:15
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 13:22

Beardsley, come on, Gasa the crybaby, did you forget Georg Best and David Platt the smirker?

..LOL!!!!....LOL!!!!!.

..however, in my defence, the thread title is 'favourite' player, not 'best player'..!!!!..and i am being serious with Beardsley, he is one of my fav players!!!....George Best?..yeah he was good, but not that good IMHO....Platty???..never was a fan!!!!!!..he looked like an alien bit-part from the X-Files!!!...

....would have to agree with the limited perception bit with regards to myself, i am a bit older than most here, and my main footballing era was before the global coverage we have now, hence, my lack of 'foreign' appreciation, my ingrained memories are of mainly English players..however, i am more aware of foreign players now, and when i spot something decent, i will let you know!!!!!!LOL....
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 13:47

Not true, soccer has replaced little league baseball as the number one kids go to sport.  Obviously the term "Soccer Moms" hasn't reached Iceland yet.

BTW- Did you guys get Moving Pictures yet?

Edited by red clay - 26-Aug-2007 at 13:48
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 14:31
Hey, that's enough of Icelander bashing.  He might go bjork on you.  Speaking of Bjork, I like to bjork her.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 16:47

Charles [Chuck, Concrete Charlie] Bednarik.  Phila. Eagles 1948-1962

Seen in this shot standing over an unconcious, Frank Gifford who, would remain unconcious for another 24 hours. This was the game that put the Eagles into the 1960 Championship game.

Bednarik was the last NFL player to go both Offensive and Defensive in a regular season game.  This game he played 58 min.

BTW- this was ruled a clean, legal hit.  It wasn't until 1962 that Gifford could return to regular play

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 15:09
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

..LOL!!!!....LOL!!!!!.

..however, in my defence, the thread title is 'favourite' player, not 'best player'..!!!!..and i am being serious with Beardsley, he is one of my fav players!!!....George Best?..yeah he was good, but not that good IMHO....Platty???..never was a fan!!!!!!..he looked like an alien bit-part from the X-Files!!!...

....would have to agree with the limited perception bit with regards to myself, i am a bit older than most here, and my main footballing era was before the global coverage we have now, hence, my lack of 'foreign' appreciation, my ingrained memories are of mainly English players..however, i am more aware of foreign players now, and when i spot something decent, i will let you know!!!!!!LOL....

AoO, don't know, how old you are, but i bring back the WC 1966 to my mind as the first big sport-event i saw in my life.
So, i never will forget english football players.

Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 15:15
Originally posted by red clay

Not true, soccer has replaced little league baseball as the number one kids go to sport.  Obviously the term "Soccer Moms" hasn't reached Iceland yet.

BTW- Did you guys get Moving Pictures yet?

Ok, Red Clay, that's enough.

Yellow flag. 10 yards penalty for interference in common with unsportmanlike conduct. First down and 53yards.

And now , please watch the commercials......

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 17:19

AoO, don't know, how old you are, but i bring back the WC 1966 to my mind as the first big sport-event i saw in my life.
So, i never will forget english football players.

...ok, fair dues, i am not that old!!!..well not quite....... but the early 1970's were also a tad hazy as far as football goes, so i will stick to my choices as they capture what i enjoy about the game, tenacity, pride, passion, and somewhere in there, there really was some quality talent!!!!......Big%20smile 

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 27-Aug-2007 at 17:20
Kochanoglu View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kochanoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2009 at 23:13
Gheorghe Hagi .   İN MY OPİNİON  HE S THE BEST FOOTBALLER  EVER. very very high technic,amazing shoots , milimetric passes,wonderful freekicks, he was full pension fottballer. he has all of this specialities.but other footballers have only one or two speciality.in turkey and romania everybody know him a football god.if he born in brasil all of the peoples'll accept  that  he s the best footballer.go youtube and whatch  him.u'll be agree with me.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2009 at 13:52
Always been a fan of Beckham, but I quite enjoy watching Ronaldinho. 
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2009 at 06:32
Originally posted by Kochanoglu

Gheorghe Hagi .   İN MY OPİNİON  HE S THE BEST FOOTBALLER  EVER. very very high technic,amazing shoots , milimetric passes,wonderful freekicks, he was full pension fottballer. he has all of this specialities.but other footballers have only one or two speciality.in turkey and romania everybody know him a football god.if he born in brasil all of the peoples'll accept  that  he s the best footballer.go youtube and whatch  him.u'll be agree with me.

Hagi, this frowzy Carpartian sub-genius? You must be joking.

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 12:35
Hagi is one of my favourites too. He made Galatasaray the UEFA champion;and made me a galatasaray fan.
but my real favourite is Buffon;he is such a giant.

A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 17:25
mine is tom brady from new england LOL

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

HungryWolf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote HungryWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 19:16
Christiano Ronaldo and Arda Turan :

Turks can be killed but can't be beaten. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>