Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Respectability...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Respectability...
    Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 03:16
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Originally posted by Paul

Personally I've always considered toilet cleaners to be the most noble people on planet Earth.

I disagree. I live in a student house, so I know life can go on with a none too clean toilet. But watch the effects of a one week strike of garbagemen, and see the anarchy descent.

In many parts of the UK, though fortuneately not where I live, bins are only emptied once a fortnight already.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 17:28
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

Yes, I know that I'm going to sound like a pompous prat for saying this, but why can't people of my generation (and older) just be a little bit more respectable? I mean, unneccesary swearing, emphasis on brawns rather than brains, the complete over sexuality of our society - it's a little repulsive. Don't get me wrong - I don't mind popular culture, and I'm not acting like a religious fundamentalist, all I'm saying is that my generation are just so damn rude all the time for no apparent reason. ...And the clothes - I mean, you can dress nice without looking like a tart - many people (mainly girls) of my age dress like they're sex crazy. Why can't there just be a little bit more decent respectability and not using "f**" in every sentence?
I agree with you completely, and I do hate popular culture.  The problem I see is that family is less important and with it has gone family values like respect.  I look back on high school and wish I had done the mind numbing busy work to get good grades instead of refusing out of pride and principle, certainly reeping the rewards of that decision now.Unhappy  One thing I can't stand is girls dressing like prostitutes and getting upset when they are viewed as nothing but breasts and an ass.  I didn't think it was possible for women like that not to make the connection.

Edited by Justinian - 08-Aug-2007 at 23:58
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 18:09
I don't think its so much family as the fact that people can't even be arsed to talk to their neighbours anymores = no sense of community.

Arrrgh!!"
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 22:23
Originally posted by Justinian

One thing I can't stand is girls dressing like prostitutes and getting upset when they are viewed as nothing but breasts and an ass. I didn't think it was possible but they must be dumber than I thought.

Wow, what a way to engender the ire of half of the population. You don't really mean what came across, did you?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 23:55
It wasn't mean't to insult the entire female population, simply show the foolishness of the part that dress provacatively and get upset when men stare at them.  I thought I had explained it properly, no I certainly don't want to get half the population coming after me with pitchforks.  Looking at it I can see how it could be misinterpreted.  I edited it so it shouldn't come across like that now.

Edited by Justinian - 09-Aug-2007 at 00:00

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 18:00
No problem. I was just teasing you
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2007 at 01:10
Oh.Embarrassed  You got me.Clown

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 16:35
Oh, he got you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12