Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest espionage threat to the UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: ...comes from which country?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [30.00%]
2 [20.00%]
1 [10.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest espionage threat to the UK
    Posted: 26-Jul-2007 at 15:21

I know the answer to this since it was divulged to me by somebody working for army intelligence.  It was about as much as he'd give away.

Shocked
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2007 at 15:42
If anyone would wonder who is this idiot who voted for DenmarkThumbs%20Down.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2007 at 16:01
Ireland
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2007 at 16:14
Since I know the answer and Ireland is not one of the options... then, sorreh!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2007 at 16:32

..admittedly, without a great deal of back-up thought or informationOuch, i would opt for Pakistan, mainly because i think immigration from the area is severely unchecked and what with the current difficulties in 'policing' the region and the inflitration of so-called extremists, i would hazard a guess that there are a significant number of individuals who come from Pakistan to the UK with ulterior motives...but i could be totally wrong...
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 05:52
It is the US, of course.

If you consider them separate countries, that is. I personally think UK is the 51st state.

Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 07:29
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

It is the US, of course.

If you consider them separate countries, that is. I personally think UK is the 51st state.

Wrong way round they are 50 colonies of the British CrownCry
YohjiArmstrong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote YohjiArmstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 14:13
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

It is the US, of course.

Oh dear, not the 51st state arguement. An arguement that makes as much sense as saying Saddam era Iraq was one of the French departments or that much of the Arab world during the Cold War were Russian.

I would say Russia myself. However I'm not certain.

By greatest threat do  you mean to the UK as the state or to elements of the UK (i.e. its corporations)? Because I can justifiably see Israel as a candidate considering the rivalry in the arms market.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 14:31
I think I;m an espionage threat to the UK. Because I'd happily tell everything I know to a foriegn power for a very reasonable fee.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
YohjiArmstrong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote YohjiArmstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 14:44
Originally posted by Paul

I think I;m an espionage threat to the UK. Because I'd happily tell everything I know to a foriegn power for a very reasonable fee.

Considering that I'm now an espionage threat to Norway! (All offers to spill the beans should be monetary preferably).
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 06:32

I can't believe no one even speculated that it could be the FRENCH.  

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 05:55
The French? Can't see how they would go unnoticed, reeking of cheese and never worrying about dropping the accent... LOL 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 06:25
Zagros, espionage dose not necessarily mean by foreign adversaries or rivals. In fact a lot of espionage is carried out against friendly powers,govs need to know trends, how an ally may behave in a particular situation. This expanded after the French withrawl from NATO.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 07:46

Indeed and that's why i included Denmark, Israel, the US, Italy, Germany et al.  The questrion was, which country poses the greatest espionage threat to the UK?

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 13:04
Anyone who thinks that the British have any secrets that the US does not or cannot know are very naive.

There were countless scandals with the EU, where various EU countries protested at UK and US, because they used the British Echelon network bases for industrial and political espionage.

Some other naive British people are proud that they are allies with the US and they have both equal access to any information gained, due to a 'special relationship' deal. In reality, the so-called 'special relationship' is very one-sided, US f**ks Britain and that's it.

One recent example was a scandal in Britain, it was found that the Amreicans gave no information about illegal CIA torture flights to the British secret services, despite using British airports.

In some cases, it finds nothing to criticise, although in the case of Bisher Al-Rawi and Jamil El-Banna, the detail is particularly illuminating when it comes to US-UK intelligence relations.

Information passed to the US on the men was transmitted with an assurance that no action would be taken on the basis of it. But the men were picked up after travelling from the UK to Africa and eventually transferred to Guantanamo.

The UK expressed its concerns but there was a "lack of regard on the part of the US for UK concerns" as it ignored protests of both MI5 and the government.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 06:51

I picked Russia, not so much spying on UK military assets, but mainly to silence opponents of the Kremlin. But another player that cannot be ruled out is a non-state actor, like al-Qaeda. Whilst their activities are normally seen in terms of terrorism, as terrorists become more sophisticated, so will their intelligence gathering activities to conduct those terrorist acts.

Edited by Chwyatt - 08-Aug-2007 at 06:56
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 12:44
Personally I would wonder if there's a general trend is the US UK relationship or if such one sidedness has occurred predominantly over the last 6 years. 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2007 at 15:29
it is actually France, by the way.
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2007 at 07:25

Originally posted by Zagros

it is actually France, by the way.

No, it's actually Wales!
For almost 1500 years they're patiently waiting for a chance to throw the nasty anglo-saxons and normans back in to the North sea.

Well, in terms of economic espionage China is my favourite. Not only in UK, but in the entire West and Russia. They have ethnic minorities all over the world, so for them it's easy to infiltrate and steal technologies everywhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply