Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most "humane" colonial empire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Poll Question: Which of the following empires had the most "humane" colonial policy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [23.33%]
6 [10.00%]
4 [6.67%]
13 [21.67%]
2 [3.33%]
17 [28.33%]
3 [5.00%]
1 [1.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most "humane" colonial empire?
    Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 18:05
Originally posted by Justinian

Man, I need to get contacts or something.  Sorry about that Omar, misread your question completely.

Looking at the options available, one has to base one's decision on which of these empires did the most for their subject peoples.  In that sense its easy, the romans did more for their subjects than any of the other empires in my opinion.  More for western europe than what was to become the eastern empire though.  A simple example; How many indian kings/queens of England were there?  Same applies to France, Spain etc.  That was the reason the roman empire lasted so long, the subject peoples became romans and fought for the empire like any native of italy, eventually more than italian natives.  Eventually the former subject peoples were at times the rulers of the entire empire; Trajan and Hadrian from spain, many emperors of the third century weren't native romans.

In fairness though, I don't think we can compare the Romans to the colonial powers in that way. The Romans were often conquering civilisations whose culture outshined their own (e.g. Greek) in certain ways. By contrast, the Europeans enjoyed a technological advancement over their foreign subjects. Plus, the Roman Empire lasted (excluding Byzantium) nearly 1,000 years. British rule over all of India didn't quite make it to the 100 year mark. Plus Europe was geographically much further from its colonial Empire than Rome was from its foreign provinces.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2007 at 22:38
Originally posted by mamikon

Originally posted by kurt

Temujin, you stated that to label the Ottomans as humane is "ridiculous". Please elaborate as to why you feel this way

Yeah Temujin, the Ottomans were very humane....in fact, in its last days the Ottoman Empire was as humane as the German empire (which is conspicuously absent from the aforementioned list, it would have been my choice...after the English and Ottoman Empires of course Dead)

I really don't care to get into another Armenian genocide debate with you mamikon. I really don't.
Surmount View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Surmount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 03:10
Colonialism is a harsh and terrible thing based on greed for power. There probably is a way colonization could be good if done with no harm but only good for the colonized people, but it usually involves the colonized people being raped of their resources and other things.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 09:31
Whoever said I was debating about anything? This thread is as lame as other best/worst threads anyway...I was just expressing my opinion 
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 09:38
Then don't go out of your way to provoke me. You do this in virtually every thread we encounter each other.

If you find this thread lame then why are you posting in it anyway?
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2007 at 13:52
It has nothing to do with you (it has to do maybe with 12 or so people, one whom is probably you...so I guess it does have something to do with you), if you want to tell me something personally feel obliged to send me a PM.

As for the lameness...it does not stop me from posting in this thread, in fact I am surprised that this thread is not in the Historical Amusement section yet.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2007 at 18:03
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Justinian

Man, I need to get contacts or something.  Sorry about that Omar, misread your question completely.

Looking at the options available, one has to base one's decision on which of these empires did the most for their subject peoples.  In that sense its easy, the romans did more for their subjects than any of the other empires in my opinion.  More for western europe than what was to become the eastern empire though.  A simple example; How many indian kings/queens of England were there?  Same applies to France, Spain etc.  That was the reason the roman empire lasted so long, the subject peoples became romans and fought for the empire like any native of italy, eventually more than italian natives.  Eventually the former subject peoples were at times the rulers of the entire empire; Trajan and Hadrian from spain, many emperors of the third century weren't native romans.

In fairness though, I don't think we can compare the Romans to the colonial powers in that way. The Romans were often conquering civilisations whose culture outshined their own (e.g. Greek) in certain ways. By contrast, the Europeans enjoyed a technological advancement over their foreign subjects. Plus, the Roman Empire lasted (excluding Byzantium) nearly 1,000 years. British rule over all of India didn't quite make it to the 100 year mark. Plus Europe was geographically much further from its colonial Empire than Rome was from its foreign provinces.
You are correct in all points.  If Rome hadn't been included in the poll this would be an infinitely tougher decision.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213