Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Warrior of All times

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Your Greatest Warrior of All times
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [15.09%]
13 [12.26%]
4 [3.77%]
2 [1.89%]
3 [2.83%]
18 [16.98%]
8 [7.55%]
5 [4.72%]
17 [16.04%]
12 [11.32%]
4 [3.77%]
4 [3.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Warrior of All times
    Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 11:35
I prefer the NO Answer Warrior who reduces everyone to dispear by not answering any questions.

Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 18:54
Originally posted by xi_tujue

have we been watching 300

our guys killed all your guys from a distance Tongue

But seriously

You should include the jedi aswel

you can only choose a warriors from certain periods and compare them.

Why do you say that? It's the common logic that you need more courage to feel the last breath of the enemy in your face rather than shoot from distance and run(not with your own feet of course...)

Where are your guys now, really?Tongue Killed by a close distance?

Ulrich Wolff View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ulrich Wolff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 19:39
They are speaking of effectiveness of the warrior, not their courage.

I'd have to say knights.
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2007 at 10:49
i voted gladiator because warrior is singular, and any gladiator who won many many fights and won his freedom must have been supremely gifted in one on one combat, many of the choices the soldiers relied upon comrades and comrades relied upon them, but gladiators were for the most part relied upon themselves and there singular ability.
long live the king of bhutan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 20:07
What about the Roman Legionnaires? Yes, they were no match for cavalry, but cavalry was no match for pikes, pikes no match for siege type weapons (eg. catapult, mangonel, etc.). Everything has its weaknesses!

The Legions had discipline (until the start of the Decline),  courage, solidarity, and they conquered a large empire and held it for centuries!
Piedmon_Sama View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Piedmon_Sama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 21:51
I answered Knights, although eastern warriors like the Jannissaries, Mamluks and Hashshashin are awesome.  A Knight is the most diverse of the options listed here---he could be fighting on horseback or on foot, with lance, sword and shield or longsword, warhammer, battleaxe etc.
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2008 at 18:27
No Spartans? No Janissary?
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 19:11
Hoplites because they demonstrated that quality was better than quantity on the fields of Marathon, Thermopylae, Arbela, and many more.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 19:26
But then again, I think ol Chuck would take em all
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 20:05
I voted 'assassin' based on the notion that a skilled assassin picks the time and place of battle where he or she is statistically extremely unlikely to lose.
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 20:14
Chuck Norris probably.Cheers (I couldn't resist..sorry)
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 20:15
Chuck Norris probably.Cheers (I couldn't resist..sorry)
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 11:19
Bruce Lee kicked his ass in Game of Death !!!
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2008 at 00:30
The byzantine Kilbanophoros hands down

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 22:32
Greatest warrior of all time is whichever one managed to manipulate his/her enemies perfectly to do what he wanted them to do without ever having to fight.

Hence, the greatest warrior of all time doesn't exist.

Edited by TheARRGH - 07-Aug-2008 at 22:33
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 02:42
Thats cowardly politics (sneer).

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 03:03
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Thats cowardly politics (sneer).

No, it's what the best warriors understand;
Only fight if you have to, and if possible, make sure you don't have to.

It's what every competent self-defense teacher will tell you, and have fun calling them cowards!

The ideal situation for the true warrior is one in which he never has to use his skills for anything other than exercise or practice.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2008 at 22:52
another taoist Sun Tzu fan.no more lectures,go out there,show us some blood,fight,fight!!!!!Tongue
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2008 at 07:25
Originally posted by Batu

another taoist Sun Tzu fan.

No, just someone who cares more about survival than about showing off for the sake of gratuitous machismo.

Originally posted by Batu

no more lectures,go out there,show us some blood,fight,fight!!!!!Tongue

I have an allergic reaction to jail time.

However, given the right circumstances...Evil%20Smile

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 01:17
Originally posted by Feanor

Cavalry archers win hands down.

Oh god, not this debate again...

Anyway, here's my pick(s)...

Originally posted by TheARRGH

I have several picks, actually.

First, in the Americas--the warriors of almost all of the various societies in Mexico during and shortly after the spanish occupation. Emphasis on the Mexica and the various cultures collectively (and pejoratively) known as the Chichimecs. Also, the Mapuche of chile and the Seminoles of the florida region were viewed (rightfully so) as particularly tenacious combatants.

There are some absolutely INSANE stories from spaniards about these people. Things like one warrior holding off two horsemen for over an hour, taking away one's lance, and fighting with it for another hour until being shot by a crossbowman. Like an enemy stabbed with two lances and continuing to hold off four opponents. Like arrows fired with such force they went through a horse's metal head armor, it's head, two thicknesses of mail and buckskin armor, and into a rib cage. Like an almost obscene level of courage and discipline, and a tenacity and ferocity that apparently suprised even veteran warriors from combat with the turks, who were considered absolutely deadly at the time.

Granted, a lot of the stories are probably exaggerated. Some of them could easily be outright lies. But even so, the picture that gets painted is one of truly deadly and skilled warriors--not just savage yelling steretypical barbarians, but shockingly disciplined, trained, inventive, and brutal combatants--and this was through the eyes of the people who conquered them. You've done something right if the people you eventually LOSE to are that impressed by your abilities.

In the Mediterranean, the Roman Legions. Disciplined, effective, almost mechanically precise. I'd consider their parthian enemies quite high on the list, as well. And during the Byzantine era, the Goths were...shockingly effective. They learned thir lessons well, ultimately.

In africa, the Zulu empire's warriors under Shaka. UNEQUIVOCALLY.  The nubian cavalry the Carthaginians used is a definite, as well--very, VERY highly regarded. The military of the egyptians, before being eclipsed by other powers, was very good.

In asia...well, it's big place and I don't know that terribly much about it. Probably too many to list, although the rajputs were apparently quite good, and I admire the mongols.

In australia, the Kangaroos. And the Saltwater crocodiles. And the snakes. And the spiders. Hell, even the SHEEP. And the people. ALL OF THEM.

Uh...that's all for now. Maybe I'll think of some more.

How many "best___" threads do we have now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>